Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Jackal - Status Update

Hi all,

I have some time while the system updates to post a bit about what's going on.

The original plan with Jackal was to roll it out into AWS, but due to time limitations and the growing complexity of the task, I was unable to meet that deadline. As a result I felt the old Independence hardware would be sufficient even with the lag it was causing before. My thinking was that Jackal is a fresh server with little data, so that should mitigate the lag. I was obviously wrong.

In the grand scheme of things another piece of hardware was able to be utilized - all it ran was the Wurmpedia's database at the moment, so moving the Wurmpedia to AWS seemed like a good forward step. I started that process earlier, and I'm waiting on some DNS updates before I can finish it. Meanwhile it was Jackal's turn.

The move was smooth actually, but due to the host having been set up quite a while ago and simply unused, the system is outdated and the server crashes at the first polling. This is why it seemed up for a moment for some people but crashed soon after. I am in the process of updating the system now to see if this corrects the issues.

Should this not correct the issue, I will move Jackal back to the old hardware and work with Rolf on a better solution.

I apologize for this and take full ownership of the problem at hand. More updates will be forthcoming as I have them and the time to post them.

Update

Hardware woes all around. It would seem the hardware I wanted to use is suffering from memory issues. That's why the server kept crashing. Even after a system upgrade, it is dying on initializing variables.

The current plan of action is to get the laggy hardware back online so folks can either brave the lag or head back to Freedom while we sort this out. I'm not without a plan to resolve this however, I simply need to discuss with the team and Rolf.

Thank you all again for your patience.

Update 2

I'm currently working with Hetzner to replace the memory in the hardware I attempted to use today after I was able to run a memory checking tool to provide that's the cause. I was doing this while waiting for the old hardware to finish some routine tasks, which are taking considerably longer than they usually should. I believe the server just went offline to be fixed, and they quoted me 30-40 minutes to do the job. I'll post more once the hardware is back online.

Update 3

In an amazing turn of events, Hetzner was able to replace the RAM of the server. I've been running a tester on it and all checks out! We'll be taking all servers down for a hot fix and then Jackal will return with all the other servers right after. This should resolve the lag!

• Like 34

Right, thanks for the heads up, sometimes the best plans go awry. Keep calm and impalong!

• Like 1

Man I wanted to blame Pingpong ...    😟

Lucky this time Ping.....    

• Like 2

Thanks for the update, I'm happy I was not over there on all my toons... good luck with the updates, I hope that will resolve the issues for now!

I logged in, but after a few seconds server crashed. Can't connect.

OP updated with current situation!

The hardware topic seems to be out of control, this is like the 3rd or 4th time there is an issue with the platform. Get someone who takes care about the systems and the hardware, a real server administrator.

There was so much time to change the old independence hardware and get a new box, hetzner contracts only have 30 days

contractually binding and the setup of a new system for Wurm is easy and can be done pretty fast.

Thanks Keenan.   In all technology, outages sometimes happen, updates sometimes don't.  Really appreciate this update and all you do to make Wurm better.

• Like 1

oh, lag is pretty annoying but i can overcome it and play anyway, so bring up the old server! maybe also that a new initialization w/o all the new players coming in could help.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

The hardware topic seems to be out of control, this is like the 3rd or 4th time there is an issue with the platform. Get someone who takes care about the systems and the hardware, a real server administrator.

There was so much time to change the old independence hardware and get a new box, hetzner contracts only have 30 days

contractually binding and the setup of a new system for Wurm is easy and can be done pretty fast.

I fully accept responsibility for not having had the hardware swapped out yet. I feel your tone is harsh, but reasonable due to my failing here.

• Like 2

Take your time guys, and good work so far.

I still love the wurm staff and everyone behind the scene doing a great deal to get (and keep) things running ❤️ 

Hugs Aroma.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Get someone who takes care about the systems and the hardware, a real server administrator.

Why do any of that if they are starting to move things to AWS? They should have stuck to the original plan and rolled it out on AWS (aka, they should have delayed Jackal until it's ready), but that is hindsight talking. Without hindsight I think what they have tried made sense, it just didn't work out as hoped. But either way, getting a server administrator or new hardware when you are starting to move to a platform like AWS seems like a waste.

Edited by Ecrir

7 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I fully accept responsibility for not having had the hardware swapped out yet. I feel your tone is harsh, but reasonable due to my failing here.

Keenan, you've already accepted responsibility and apologised, while also keeping players abreast of the situation. No need to castigate yourself. 

Just breathe, mate. :)

• Like 7

I'd say postpone Jackal until you've had time to get it working on AWS, but that easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. Thanks for all the efforts

Thanks for keeping us updated and working hard to fix it,  these things happen, like others above said, we understand!

Problems happen. Thanks for being so transparent and open with it and thank you for all your hard work! 

Issues are always unavoidable. Appreciate you keeping us all aware and informed. 

A wise man told me once that "every plan, no matter how good, do not survive first contact"

I have to say that this about Jackal is one of the funniest (for now) updates i've ever seen on wurm up now.

Mags of Jackal attacked our hardwares in response to our invasion of their lands.

• Like 1

Only annoying thing is toons being stuck in limbo! Be good to get them back to freedom.

• Like 1

I've played quite a few MMORPG's in the past, and the general rule of thumb for all of them was "Don't log in on patch day". From what I've seen during my time with Wurm that isn't the case. Sure, there have been/are some issues, but from my perspective they've been addressed and handle with much better efficiency than any of the other, larger games, and with far less openness. Just my opinion, but it seems to me that griping about it here, or attempting to rake any of the dev team over the coals about it shows a distinct lack of grace. It would be much better to offer productive assistance than scathing condemnation.

Thanks for the updates, Keenan, and for all your hard work making sure Wurm is a fun place for us to play.

• Like 8

here is exactly why i love wurm the developers themselves will come out and publicly admit fault for something not going well. there are so many more reasons but i wont gush.  anyway thank you for letting us know and remember keep calm and wurm on i know u will get it fixed and it will be amazing. although i do wish i could have my toon back on freedom while jackal is down

Edited by leander
  • Like 1