wipeout

Possible ideas for next round?

Might as well start this

So some ideas

1. Pmk representation: Next round maybe let pmk's represent their kingdom(no pvp still) in some form or fashion be it kingdoms being able to have their art over there in terms of flags and what not or maybe a kingdom deed
2. Working bartenders: like come on you made spawn have 2 but we cant use it because we arent technically new characters(even epic had this properly done)
3. Commander needs its staff: How can a single chick be in charge of the expedition where is its map boy its butler and everyone else the tents are there but his staff is missing did they all get kidnapped?

More to come im sure

• Like 1

Maybe something can be done with this in the next round...

Spoiler

Line 1099: [01:49:03] You almost made it, but the crude shovel blade is useless.
    Line 1101: [01:49:11] You almost made it, but the crude shovel blade is useless.
    Line 1103: [01:49:21] You almost made it, but the crude shovel blade is useless.
    Line 1105: [01:49:33] You almost made it, but the crude shovel blade is useless.
    Line 1525: [02:11:52] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 1528: [02:12:24] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 1530: [02:12:38] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 2258: [02:41:36] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2265: [02:41:59] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2270: [02:42:13] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2273: [02:42:28] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2279: [02:42:48] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2281: [02:42:59] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2283: [02:43:11] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2293: [02:43:43] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2297: [02:43:55] You almost made it, but the crude pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 2544: [02:50:56] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 2746: [02:57:37] You almost made it, but the kindling is useless.
    Line 2748: [02:57:48] You almost made it, but the kindling is useless.
    Line 3375: [03:36:22] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 3400: [03:37:17] You almost made it, but the mallet is useless.
    Line 3405: [03:37:30] You almost made it, but the mallet is useless.
    Line 3410: [03:37:45] You almost made it, but the mallet is useless.
    Line 3420: [03:38:37] You almost made it, but the campfire is useless.
    Line 3457: [03:40:48] You almost made it, but the handle is useless.
    Line 3545: [03:47:23] You almost made it, but the anvil is useless.
    Line 3558: [03:47:58] You almost made it, but the carving knife blade is useless.
    Line 3560: [03:48:12] You almost made it, but the carving knife blade is useless.
    Line 3565: [03:48:28] You almost made it, but the carving knife blade is useless.
    Line 3573: [03:49:08] You almost made it, but the carving knife blade is useless.
    Line 3586: [03:50:38] You almost made it, but the stone chisel is useless.
    Line 3588: [03:50:52] You almost made it, but the stone chisel is useless.
    Line 3618: [03:52:11] You almost made it, but the hammer head is useless.
    Line 3626: [03:53:01] You almost made it, but the pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 3631: [03:53:15] You almost made it, but the pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 3653: [18:44:05] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 3655: [18:44:18] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 3657: [18:44:32] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 3660: [18:46:07] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 3664: [18:46:19] You almost made it, but the shaft is useless.
    Line 3673: [18:47:06] You almost made it, but the handle is useless.
    Line 3693: [18:49:07] You almost made it, but the hatchet is useless.
    Line 3695: [18:49:20] You almost made it, but the hatchet is useless.
    Line 3716: [19:01:58] You almost made it, but the kindling is useless.
    Line 3864: [19:19:43] You almost made it, but the pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 3869: [19:20:07] You almost made it, but the pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 3872: [19:20:21] You almost made it, but the pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 3874: [19:20:37] You almost made it, but the pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 3877: [19:20:59] You almost made it, but the pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 3884: [19:21:52] You almost made it, but the pickaxe head is useless.
    Line 3900: [19:24:54] You almost made it, but the nails is useless.
    Line 3904: [19:25:18] You almost made it, but the nails is useless.
    Line 3945: [19:27:13] You almost made it, but the saw is useless.
    Line 3948: [19:27:27] You almost made it, but the saw is useless.

Edited by faty
  • Like 1

remove templars and tower guards, removes all challenge from the game when people just walk champion rift digs to their 10s/m deeds and it gets dunked, or use tower guards to tank while they grind combat skills on it

increase starting skills to 10-15 or so, so you dont sit there failing to make kindling

multiple spawn towns so everyones not all clumped together

• Like 8

Yeah, templars and guards feel like cheating. This was supposed to be a hardcore server, meanwhile im bonking champ beasts with the help of tower guards. Also it looks pretty weird that the beasts stop at the deed border, shouldnt they trample the farms, bash the walls and destroy piles of items?

Multiple spawns would also solve the pelt and weta problem since all the people roam the same areas and cant find anything cause everything is dead/captured.

7 hours ago, Vomusu said:

Yeah, templars and guards feel like cheating. This was supposed to be a hardcore server, meanwhile im bonking champ beasts with the help of tower guards. Also it looks pretty weird that the beasts stop at the deed border, shouldnt they trample the farms, bash the walls and destroy piles of items?

Multiple spawns would also solve the pelt and weta problem since all the people roam the same areas and cant find anything cause everything is dead/captured.

lol, its still a freedom server. wouldnt want to make it too risky!

On 9/4/2019 at 3:03 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

remove templars and tower guards, removes all challenge from the game when people just walk champion rift digs to their 10s/m deeds and it gets dunked, or use tower guards to tank while they grind combat skills on it

Damn rift digs. Making holes everywhere. Especially into people.

But yeah, it's super cheesy. At the same time it will be impossible to get stuff done with Rift beasts around and no guards to take care of them. If freedom influence only had weaker mobs, that'd work. Or if invading Rift mobs were weakened by the beacon to make fighting them feasible. Guards seem fine as long as we have to build the towers ourselves, but no guards at all sound a lot more interesting and fun for what is supposed to be a harsh PvE environment.

Right now, with everyone is clustered around the single starter town, locking their stuff up, building their deeds, roads are not being made safe for a few insane individuals...from my impression, people treat this as though it was another cookie cutter sandbox server. This isn't a landrush like it was a new, permanent server, and your deed right next to the starter town has no value here. It'll just be disconnected from the actual action first.

This will get a lot of hate, but deeds feel overall pretty misplaced as a concept as the silver commitment you make to found them are a strong disincentive to actually move the "Frontier" this is supposed to be forward. Only thing they're good for is better permission management, because micromanaging every single "ally" to your particular cause is pretty stupid, so they could be easily replaced with groups/"permanent teams" that can be managed just like citizens and allies under permissions. Unless you want to deed up every single outpost, it'd be the same as it will probably pan out now. At least a more flexible deeding system that's also not a massive silver drain should be considered.

Starting everyone around 15-20 skill seems like a sensible base.  It gets rid of the irritating early fails, and lets you be a bit more useful on day 1.  Given you have to be premium to set foot on the server at all, call this the difference between being a free player for your first little bit of skilling on normal freedom.

• Like 1

Placing a deed at the starter zone has it's benefits I feel. You don't need your deed at the front of the line in order to have the benefits of village, alliance and permission management. I imagine the frontier being tents and outposts that are non deeded but shacks and such, with the safer deed back at the start zone for people to supply and rearm 

Without the ability to build Guard Towers and luring the rift beasts to them so they would tank while other players kill them they wouldn't have been able to be killed for a long time. Then the starter area would be swarmed with them disrupting the ability of players to make any progress. Even now I have yet to see any players kill them without Tower Guard tanks. Probably a few *elite* teams will be able to do this soon but they all had to build their skills, armor and weapons to that point to do so.

In this respect the starter area seems setup pretty reasonably affording players to settle in there and spend more time there if they wish. Not everyone must be forced out into the wilderness and if that were the case I would think that a number of players wouldn't even bother to play on the server. Different options to play there are a good thing for everyone.

What I have yet to see from the Devs is an organized and detailed explanation of how the server functions. About all I can gather is that players build these "Beacons" in the corrupted landscape areas and it gradually(?) transforms them into the Freedom server environments. Meanwhile all these rift beasts constantly spawn in the remaining corrupted areas(?) and invade the Freedom areas to pester you. The objective then is to remove all these corrupted areas through the use of "Beacons", then there is nothing more to do and all these rift beasts will no longer spawn after they are killed off???

I have yet to see any red Rift Beams rising into the sky anywhere here as they do on the Freedom servers, nor have I seen and sort of rift creature camps on Jackal so I am wondering what that is all about. Also the only types of rift creatures I have seen there are these beast type doggies. Where are the other types? I really think that this whole Jackal server needs a more clear explanation put forth by the Devs or is this going to be the old "discovery" thing made by players and shared piecemeal randomly to others in the secret society.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Fix lag due to aggroing mobs, it can get up to 10 seconds and more if the mobs are 2-3

• Make a starting island with no creatures that spawn on it and have that be the "safe" area to develop skills.  Then make the main island completely inhospitable and hostile.  I don't like seeing just rift beasts, would be nice if there was a lot of lava spiders and such.
  • Without deeds, templars would not be free protection.  Guard towers I feel are legit.  You could definitely lower the spawn rate on guard towers, to prevent tower hugging and they'd have to be used strategically then.  I came in late (a week late) and already feel like there's no point playing since all the possible spots for towns are placed, making it extremely annoying to find a spot to mine, gather resources, etc without a town warning.   Not exactly friendly to someone coming back to Wurm Online to try it out. 
  • Having templars really does defeat the challenge...

Also why not just do a PVP version of the same server with these more hardcore settings?

Edited by jonsnow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jonsnow said:

I came in late (a week late) and already feel like there's no point playing since all the possible spots for towns are placed, making it extremely annoying to find a spot to mine, gather resources, etc without a town warning.  

You can expand into the corruption by building freedom beacons then deed. The map is huge.

I don't see a repeat of this unless things change big time .

People will only put up this for song long , new server rinse and repeat .

Pick a server on wurm any , have invasion of corruption start there and work out , different areas .

Give people who have deeds 1 day to make a beacon for there deeds , I forwarning  of sorts .

Then stop the purchase of Templars or make them none agro rift mobs

This way no new server is needed .

I like jackal its not bad with the new trees , colored terrain and animals  .

But people wanting stronger and harder mobs then buy Templars ? .

8 hours ago, Gwyn said:

You can expand into the corruption by building freedom beacons then deed. The map is huge.

What is needed to build a beacon?

Wurmpedia has no info.

48 minutes ago, griper said:

What is needed to build a beacon?

Wurmpedia has no info.

Marble bricks, squares of cloth, planks, and small nails I believe. You can find it in crafting recipe window ('n' by default).

• Like 1

We have this nice system where we gain some of skills back on freedom. 
I think if a player have 100lvl at something there is just waste of time doing it on jackal.
Maybe some other reward for ppl that have 100lvl on fredom and reach same skill at jackal at 50-70-90?

I think also of more use for Freedom Beacons. I think of maping system . Lets split map for squares and every becon on particular squares ( i dont know 100x100 tiles or more) reveal ingame part of that square he is on ? So we have blur map and as we plant beacons map reveal part by part.
Let there be a reward for reaveal full map at jackal end for all players or at 20, 50, 70, 100 %

• Like 1

On the next round, maybe we should just get to use our freedom skills as they are.

Im getting burnt out just skilling some skills up again. 😂

• Like 2

Figure if skill resets with the map/"season"/ reset.. if it's one time.. it's worth... you get 1 fresh start AND.. you don't have to be jack of all trades.. you get to focus on fewer skills to grind.

Maybe it could be possible to regain your freedom skills fully or partially.. for a limited time.. if you manage to perform some local bravery 'quest', spending points for this, or something else..

...Doing a simple mission of slaying 3000 rats seems dull and dumb - doesn't it?

Table's full of new cards.. to use.

About new content ideas...

Clearing zones or gathering materials.. could by chance have a roll to give you insight about some new jackal recipe.. to be crafted with rift materials &/OR.. rift creature hearts(you know.. the source imbued beating things that are else ~useless)..

New gear could be just a few weapons.. or stretch to all kinds.. offering extra bonus/es.. like existing spell-power/imbue mechanic.. and imbue mechanic to power up the buff on the weapon/armor?

Could be made with specific powers and recipes... or 'good old' rng.. imbue to power up with 1 random bonus effect.. charge it to max.. than powering it once more resets to a new bonus... to keep the rng rolls and material sink going at a good rate...

A few fixes/bugs needed to be addressed:

Part of the problem with it being too easy is the templars for sure.  One of the side effects of templars:

1. Templars are constantly slaying the mobs.  This causes delay in respawn, lack of hunting all around... AND the big one -

2. Monsters eventually, inevitably spawn in dead spaces.  That one tile tunnel you made?  6 monsters in it.  I wandered for HOURS around the map and saw tunnels everywhere that people started and they are just FULL of the hounds who don't seem to starve to death.  This means you have to either fix monsters being able to leave/enter mines, or stop them spawning in mines altogether.  Since you cannot grow food in mines I don't see a problem with this.

3.creature count is far too low.  I was expecting something similar to HOTS, and there'd be a constant uphill battle to make any traction.  I think this is partly because there's SO many deeds.  So I think if you disable templars and allow creatures to spawn on deeds, most this issue will get fixed.  Still there should be way more mobs... more monsters mean we can't just plant beacons where want to live and live there.  We'd have to fight our way in and get lucky.

I would also recommend just slightly increasing skill gain speed more...  as this is a temporary server I imagine most people will still get burned out on the grind after the resetting occurs.  I would say 5x or 6x would be perfect, with 4x action timers.  Since we don't have COC and other benefits I would suggest this.

If templars are sticking around, then I would suggest a way for people to earn coins easier.  Right now people are constantly moving their deeds to move further and further into the corruption, this is becoming a very pay to win way of playing and costing people a lot of money I'm sure!  Since this is already a premium required server, it could burn people.  It would also be viable to make templars a third of their current strength, to allow some to still pay to win if they want without having a significant advantage over others.

Still, this is the best idea you've had retrograde it's super fun!

Edited by jonsnow

Admittedly I have only been browsing briefly and not actually played Jackal, when I heard that you need to start grinding from scratch again I lost interest but I will say I really like the fact that the server looks so different than the others and has different resources and animals, that's something Wurm has never done before. Currently as is there are so many servers and virtually nothing unique about them, you could be on any server on any cluster and other than slightly different geographic features on the map they all look exactly the same, this is the first time something different has been tried. 

I hope in future if we ever get new servers, or maybe even if you wanted to tweak existing servers biomes that the developers could potentially expand on this and make each server different to one another. Thinking tropical rainforest map with heaps of creatures, infected mycelium map full of weird rotten trees that won't grow anywhere else, maybe some arctic/snowy map - some potential niche resource that can either only be found on those maps or an existing resource that's in extremely high abundance. Might give a reason to visit other maps and encourage Wurm tourism.

Not super on topic but didn't see anywhere else to make such a comment. 

Could we either for this one or next jackal round to have a daily map dump made(kept private) of the server which is released at the end of a server where every day is 1 picture and we can slide through those pictures at ease/autoplay through it?
Would be something nice to have a history of themed maps turned into pictures

• Like 3

Why nobody mentioned about the only lodestone on Jackal ?

I am very disapointed as today I understoof where it all goes - we need to move forward ... deep into lands of Jackal in order to complete tasks from journal to get points and all this with 0 skills and 0 gear , no map and no compass at start. Sounds like sick joke.

OK I tried to survive first 2 days in order later to find land to plop deed and I runned into "pelt" absense problem , was complaining about it and my friend invited me to their huge team and btw there were no free land left, everything aroudn starter deed been taken first 2 days 😪 

I was happy that I got invite as it gave me oportunity to have some safe place to live and ability to try helping others and get some help .... but it didn't last long.

After just 4 days I found out that whole village going to move to outpost with beacon that we just created whcih is much farther from starter deed. 

Sounds like good idea as there is not much to do left at starter area except growing harvest and not many Jackal beacons around either and nobody knows where is that misterious stronghold and how big actualy server is ...

But ... people are you forgetting that there is ONLY ONE lodestone ! 

That means you will move deeper into jackal lands and you will be disconnected from freedom server completely for next 6 month . How many of you got life on freedom ? Deeds ? Friends ( who are smart enough do not go to Jackal to start from 0 in hope to get some points that they will redeem for unknown rewards in form of cosmetic skins ) ? and what about merchants ? If we can't go back to Freedom will they quit and leave ?

You might say that in time you collect rift mats by killing jackal beacons and build lodestone ... well good luck with that, there are not enough mats from  just 1 or 2 beacons ( as my friend said ) and you still need to move forward so why to build it if you leave again ...

I don't know what the point of all of this except to drain coins from us so we would run around ploping deeds, hiring templars , disbanding , ploping deeds again, paying  premium also for alts so they keep eye on our home lands and paying insane money for new mounts or simple pelt . 🙄

If this is fun for you ? Sorry but not for me .

I am very disappointed as I know now for sure that witthout close access to lodestone that allows me to go back to my deeds and friends I will not be able to complete most of journal quests. I just can't simply abandon something that I been working on for past 5 years of real life . If you complete newbie yes that probably will be fun for you but if you are old stable player it is waste of time and instead of fun you will get stress and headache.

Am I alone in this or some of you sharing my concerns too ? 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Rhea said:

snip

So less then a week or 2 on a new map with a new gametype and its a bad thing?
When wurm originally started it was way way worse then jackal is with wurms first "gold" release the woods where seen as death traps almost every mob would kill you and walk away with nothing but a scratch if you saw a spider you would run and not look back for a good 5-10 min only to end up being clubbed to death by a troll
Months later 1 server melt down later and gold 2 came around and the forest south of newtown was seen once again as a forest of death with whispers of slavery beyond it pelts where in high demand for months ql 50 tools cost 10s+ getting to 50 skill in any skill would take well over a year

Within a week or 2 jackal's pelt situation will be solved even at the low spawn rate of pelt bearing animals
You do not need to move your entire deed forward constantly you build a deed up where it is safer where crafters can focus on crafting and make outposts and roads to said outposts to push deeper and deeper(a well planned expedition is boring and safe v s a badly hasty put together one that ends in failure)

If working together as a team sharing resources and taking the time isnt something for you then why you playing wurm? this is meant to last 6 months with a possibility of us not even getting the stronghold destroyed the first time

If you venture to far into xanadu in the first week you where also lost cut off from your boat back to indy its the same here make roads map out the area be smart not stupid
If the mats for a lodestone where easy to get everyone would get a lodestone and no one would work together now if mats are rare then trade will happen for the mats to make central outposts with lodestones at them for people to branch from alongside roads
And with any new server comes new prices at a time where a blacksmithing imp to 90 was 1s on indy when release came out it was 5s+ when people got there it is normal its called supply and demand

I myself love the way this server is setup it focuses more on the community as a whole of big groups working together and working with other big groups to push deeper and deeper to establish trade and a road network to establish a community that will function properly to win this round it is something wurm hasnt had in a very long time so its not surprising that some people are not seeing the point of this and get bored of it and get worried about their other places but in the end dont over extend and dont be to hasty 

Edit: To add look at american colonization history how they explored and build infrastructure over time to gain easier access to the wild terrain we have to do the same here and then your issue of lode stones being to far away wont be an issue

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 4