Sign in to follow this  
notstupidbobb

[Resolved] Cannot get back in game since update

Since the update, I had problems getting the launcher to work, for a brief second I was able to get it to go and got into the game, the poof!! Since then, I get a message that says it cannot find a Java home, I updated, added, removed .. did 64 bit , did 32 bit, did all i can think of, starting and restarting my computer, NOTHING .. tried to get in through the main page here, hit Play, NOTHING. what is happening, and how can I fix it???????????

Did you at any time alter ANY  wurm config files to point at a specific Java path, which has now changed since you updated the java version? 

For instance, see this thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/483368526574240510/

You need to set OverrideJavaRegEntry to true and JavaPath to where you have Java installed and where the jvm.dll is located.
For example:

[Runtime] OverrideJavaRegEntry=true JavaPath=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin\server

Another example:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

nope, just tried to log in .. then someone in the forums said they updated java and it let them in so i updated Java, that was the brief moment that it let me in then it crashed. I tried over and over, I restarted computer, i took off and put on Java about 5 times, I tried both bits, 64 and 32, nothing, just says it cannot find a Java home. 

I have no idea what all that is up there, the override.. stuff, I am not computer literate

just now, i went back to your homepage, and hit play again, nothing happened, but the shop came up for me, that wouldnt come up either, not sure why that was. But still it won't play

Edited by notstupidbobb

44 minutes ago, notstupidbobb said:

but the shop came up for me

Doesn't the shop come up for Wurm Online, not Wurm Unlimited?  Any chance you're mixing the two?

What operating system do you have, bobb? Since you have been playing Wurm since 2013, obviously it has worked before?

And you are right Batta, it may be a WO issue as they say "since the update" and WU has not had any updates recently ... 

See whether these threads are  the same issue:

Batta, I am trying to get in wurm online, not the unlimited, I was just pointing out that the improvement was that i could get to shop, when before i couldnt even do that. 

Brash, the game was working fine last night, i had 64 bit, and 32 on my computer, then when others were getting back in the game after the update, I still couldn't, one person said he updated Java and got in.

So, I updated Java, I couldn't find the download for 64, it is a pain to find it, .. so I downloaded 32 bit just to get back to the game, 

I figured, .. it ran on 32 bit for me many times, ... when i tried to log in, the launcher came up and it let me in for about 1 second, then crashed, .. I tried again, .. it did the same.

That is when i decided I had to find the 64 bit, and i did.

I have now put that on my computer over and over, restarted my computer over and over,  I have been at this for hours. 

I get the same message. Java says I have successfully installed it after i do the whole thing. 

I asked my son, he says its a permission issue, that i should  give all the computer users permissions, but they all have them already. 

I am on windows 10, I hate windows 10. 

I was in game last night, and every day for several weeks ...  i have not had an issue in such a long time, that I cannot remember when  I had an issue. 

But after the Update today.  ... well, I think after 6 years in wurm i am going to have to give it up, I have 2 premium toons 3 deeds and hate to leave them all, but I have no idea how to fix this. I need step by step help, I am not computer literate. 

50 minutes ago, notstupidbobb said:

Batta, I am trying to get in wurm online, not the unlimited,.

The reason she brought it up is because this is tech section for Wurm UNLIMITED, and you might get better dev response if it is under the appropriate Wurm ONLINE tech section here:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/27-client-bugs/

I will see if a moderator can move this to correct subforum. 

IGNORE THE FOLLOWING< SEE SAMOOL'S POST BELOW. 

FOR NOW:

You don't want to use 32 bit Java for wurm, ever.  It is probably trying to use the 32 bit path even though you later installed 64 bit also.

Uninstall all JAVA versions (32 plus 64) then install ONLY this *offline* version of 64 bit java:

https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Under "which should I choose" you want the third option, 64 bit and OFFLINE (because if you are running a 32 bit browser and try to install the 64 bit java online, it can cause issues and may be the problem here)

Close the browser (which is what they mean by 'offline') then install from the folder where you saved it. Restart computer again before trying to launch wurm -- if you have a crash it may not save the new settings correctly.

uninstall any java, reinstall x64, should work.. probably no restart needed as it's just java..

meanwhile as you test for fun.. you could play the game with the jnlp while it's still there... by executing the javaws url-to-jnlp-file:

once you install java x64.. you'll have the path.. just make a .........BAT file with similar content(text file, notepad.. not wordpad, etc..):

@"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_172\bin\javaws.exe" http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

I don't think he understands what a BAT file is, even with the clue of "notepad":

4 hours ago, notstupidbobb said:

I am not computer literate

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-and-run-batch-file-windows-10

I don't think he needs to do that though, especially if the JNLP is only going to be there for a limited time. 

He sounds beyond the stage of "testing for FUN"

Ah sorry, see I am only familiar with WU (which actually has it own java anyway)  and have not been following how the new executable client works

(which is why this is better in WO tech section, not WU section ...  All of the WU links I posted were for people trying to override the default JAVA home path and getting the error, "Cannot determine a valid Java Home")