Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Jackal: The Stronghold

this thread is entirely speculation at this point, we'll see how it is soon/tomorrow...

27 minutes ago, Niki said:

this thread is entirely speculation at this point, we'll see how it is soon/tomorrow...

The problem is if we are not told that this is going to change, i.e. if we assume that horses will be protected as they currently are, while they are NOT, many people may log in to find their horses dead.  The previous time this happened, one of my friends logged in to find his two five speed bison dead under his cart.  He took his cart home, and then never logged back in.

And since the update is so close, I am certain that the developers already know whether these scouting parties will or will not be attacking saddled or hitched horses left on the server while the owners log out.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 4

This game is one of the best game i ever played with Starwars Galaxie (pre cu,) Developper haved done a very good job with everything to work. (Bridge, Rift, Boat, Breeding animal, etc etc.) I will give it a try for sure and im also sure thats not gonna be perfect at start but everything will be fixed and this will be another addon to this fantastique game even if (some people) will not like it. Thanks for adding content.

• Like 5

I see this as a new server attempting to create "equality" amongst all who decide to *pay* (Premium only) to play upon it; but, what does this really contribute to the game of Wurm Online since all Characteristics/Skill points, constructions, creations and items obtained there are not transferred to your Character when returning to any of the servers where you came from. Wurm Online is not about "equality" it is about the progress of your Character which then enables you to play the game on a higher creative and strong basis. In this respect it is worthless and even worse for new players since when they return to the server they came from their Character has obtained zero progress. A flawed concept in this respect as contributing anything of *substantial* value to the main game (Characteristics/Skills of the player Character). Merely time frittered away for the possibility of some cosmetic item applications.

Better to create an *additional* Jackal Hunting Server with the same environment and creatures that any current Premium player can portal to in the same manner with the same Characteristic/Skill gains as are currently in game that will apply to your Character when you portal back to the departure point of the server from which you left. Then lets see which of these two servers that players will *choose* to spend more of their time upon. Even for the new player this will be better since their Character will actually see the progress upon their return home.

I mean why would I really want to spend any time on this proposed Jackal server other than just for a curious look around. After thinking about this for some time the above is the conclusion I have come to. There is no "equality" within Wurm and never will be as the game is not designed on that basis. It is all about accomplishment, which is sustained over the years which makes it compelling to continue to play. Sorry, as I don't see this server setup to contribute to the game in that regard.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

They did say you would come back with something , may that be skill also with points ?

Will have to wait till its launch and see.

As it stands I get a feeling of progressive server other games add like EQ2 and WOW just added vanilla server .

I do expect some players trying to find exploits  to beat the system will see what the Dev,s do about that .

Still to many unanswered questions , I hate cloak  and dagger BS about upcoming changes to a game , it drives players away they way some people do it .

Already know of a few who have sold off there characters and accounts over this .

Maybe they made a mistake .

I will give it a chance and see but I can not see 6 month wipe and having to start from scratch again , people do not have that sort of patients anymore .

Its a large red WIN button most seem to seek now , that's why they cheat and exploit in the first place its a must have now society .

Skillgain on jackal will transfer in a fashion, it wont be 1:1, but you will progress on freedom while gaining skill on jackal. 

• Like 3

I am just little confused of all information we have here.

Do i need to attend new rift to get to jackal?
What time Jacal server will be open?
What is the faster way to get to jackal after it open? Can i just craft portal from old rift mats on exo i alredy have without travel to first rift on indy today 6PM UTC ?

Edited by Wiluss

17 minutes ago, Wiluss said:

Do i need to attend new rift to get to jackal?
What time Jacal server will be open?
What is the faster way to get to jackal after it open? Can i just craft portal from old rift mats on exo i alredy have without travel to first rift on indy today 6PM UTC ?

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

They are crafted from existing rift materials and will be useable after the rift is closed

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ayes said:

Wurm Online is not about "equality" it is about the progress of your Character which then enables you to play the game on a higher creative and strong basis.

This is just good old gatekeeping, and the very flawed premise of your entire post. There can be tons of different reasons why and how someone plays WO (all of which you're tacitly trying to invalidate), that's the beauty of it being a game that goes well beyond the strict definitions of a sandbox game. Jackal will likely give a massive incentive for even the few players to come together and cooperate in communities, something that PvE has for the longest time not given in any way. The "higher creative basis" you speak of is basically everyone being able to do everything for themselves. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but there are two sides to that coin, and an environment that lets us flip it for once is very intruiging. If not for you, then for plenty of other people.

You're also basing this all on the jarring misinformation that characters gain no progress whatsoever, which was, even among the scattered and sometimes vague information, clearly not the case from the very first post describing Jack's travel to Jackal and back. Could have saved yourself a wall of nonsense if you actually read, no offense.

Edited by Flubb
grammar
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Anarres said:

Still confused if i will be able to make portal on Deli as soon as Indy rift shuts or i would have to wait Deli rift to shut. @Retrograde perhaps you could give us clarification on this last detail?

If we can avoid that elite groups defeat the Stronghold on their own (and spoil the fun for everyone else), this could be a great improvement for PvE.

Looking forward to trying it out!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kochinac said:

Still confused if i will be able to make portal on Deli as soon as Indy rift shuts or i would have to wait Deli rift to shut. @Retrograde perhaps you could give us clarification on this last detail?

zjmQiya.png

• Like 1

So in 5 hours and 30 minutes give or take a rift will appear ? or open on Inde ?

Or do you need wait for 48 hours like normal after it appears for it to open ?

Thanks for any info ...

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

So in 5 hours and 30 minutes give or take a rift will appear ? or open on Inde ?

Or do you need wait for 48 hours like normal after it appears for it to open ?

Thanks for any info ...

can't be bothered to search for the precise snipped but the times were basically scheduled to appear scattered over the weekend so everyone has a good chance to take part in at least one new Rift. If the Rifts only opened, but not started until 48 hours after, this plan would be completely rendered moot. So it's safe to say they're intended to actually start at the given times.

Thanks Flubb , so its a wait till it spawns and find its location as per usual .

Only this time there is no 48 hours setup  .

They will all spawn immediately as of the servers coming up, then they will open at the listed times

• Like 3

I for one want to say thank you to the devs for the new addition. ;)

I know there are have been some negative comments about various aspects of the whole endeavor, but I personally don't see any negatives in what has been shared so far.

Many will look at the Jackal Frontier in different ways- some positively and some negatively and each for various and highly personal and preferential reasons.  For my part, I see it as a challenging hunting server with goals and objectives to accomplish for those inspired to do so. Some will play to break beacons and clear the corruption with an aim to take down the stronghold, others like me will enjoy jumping over for the challenge of taking on some new critters in a hostile environment and then jump back to our comfortable and peaceful personal settlements.  If I can help take out some beacons along the way, fantastic! If I am able to get in on taking down the stronghold when the time comes, (or at least providing some supportive role in the process), even better!  As with the whole of the Wurm experience in general, players play and enjoy the game for many diverse reasons.  Jackal will not be any different.

In a game where progress is determined by skill gain, and skill gain is determined by time spent in the game doing things, there will always be those who are able to spend a lot of time progressing, and those players will always be out front doing the harder things that some of the rest of us wish we had the time to skill grind in order to be a part of it.  As long as there is no way for those advanced players to deed over, around, or otherwise wall or fence off the stronghold or beacons or mobs from others who would otherwise have the time and opportunity to take a wack at them, I will be fine with whatever goes down.  Mechanics that allow advanced players to rob other players of opportunities simply so that the advanced players can take something down at their own personal convenience is about the only thing I have seen in Wurm that would get under my skin.  I strongly hope that the game mechanics will not allow such things to happen on Jackal.

So I just wanted to say thank you for all the work it has taken so far to bring us the Jackal Frontier, and offer some encouragement on all this!

I, for one, am very excited about what is unfolding over the next days and weeks!

Looking forward...

~TH~

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Flubb said:

Could have saved yourself a wall of nonsense if you actually read, no offense.

I started to restate my points but I have said enough criticism which might diminish others enjoyment of something they would look forward to. It should be more fun added to the game and I am sure a lot of work was put into creating it. My apologies to all.....

=Ayes=

56 minutes ago, Ayes said:

I started to restate my points but I have said enough criticism which might diminish others enjoyment of something they would look forward to. It should be more fun added to the game and I am sure a lot of work was put into creating it. My apologies to all.....

=Ayes=

Actually, I didn't see anything in your post that warranted an apology but I'm sure some will appreciate it.  If your assumptions were based on incomplete info, that's not your fault.  We were all having to work on assumptions, as some still are.  You didn't insult or attack anyone and your criticism of the new feature was not over the top nor said in an angry or adversarial way.  This is a discussion board and if your post "triggered" anyone to want to respond in a condescending way, that's on them not you. 

Just my 2 coppers.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

=Ayes=

Holding back on what you want to say for other people's sensitivities is pretty futile, you might aswell never say anything again then. It's not like anyone's sensitivies are hurt anyway, even if @Amadee would have the casual reader believe something else with their implications, so you're running risk of using them as a smokescreen to not concede a point you're proven wrong on, and that is a pretty bad look. Seems dishonest.

I for one would be very interested in how you consolidated the new information with your old position. If I came off as harsh it's because I was annoyed (not "triggered") over the severe lack of basic dilligence on being informed on the topic being criticized, but when I say "There's many valid views on the game" as a criticique of you missing that very same point, I'd be a hypocrite to not let it stand in favour for your particular viewpoint, too. So anyone who would truly be offended by your perspective of Jackal not fulfilling certain aspects of the game would hear the same argument from me - you don't have to like it, it may not suit your playstyle, and that is just as acceptable as Jackal fitting to someone else's playstyle for other reasons. And for what it's worth, that was actually a valid point you had there. Plenty of people, even those who are looking forward to the content, expressed concern about how much and what they can bring back to the more "persistent layer of Wurm".

Wether the discussion about certain content catering to all playstyles or not is expedient is another question, but "someone might get upset" isn't a good motivator to basically censor yourself imho.

12 hours ago, Flubb said:

you're running risk of using them as a smokescreen to not concede a point you're proven wrong on

I don't think that I was "proven wrong" by your response to my post to begin with. It's just that I saw no point in rehashing my statements that were clear enough in my eyes as expressed as a whole from the information that was provided about this new Jackal server at the time that I made the post. Then the post where I apologized explains itself for the reason presented.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayes said:

I don't think that I was "proven wrong" by your response to my post to begin with.

Um, no, not as a whole, because it's mostly an opinion piece and you don't prove an opinion wrong.I mean the part where Jackal gives "no progress whatsoever" back to the character - which was a pivotal argument of your post. If you're wondering about that

On 8/25/2019 at 2:28 AM, DevBlog said:

Day 5: I’ve been on the trail of these rumoured creatures and I’ve discovered something shocking. The link between these lands and Jackal have grown strong enough to cross both ways. Strange rocks now cover the land after these “Rifts” are closed and they allow me to transfer a part of myself to their home lands, Jackal. I don’t think my knowledge and skill crosses to Jackal, but upon returning I feel like I’ve retained what I’ve learned…

The information was perfectly available at the time of your post.

Well all of us have been giving opinions.  And we have had to base our opinions on incomplete, scattered info.  And a lot of questions are still unanswered, or selectively answered.  So we either don't discuss it at all, or we discuss our current opinions, based on current info, hoping we've found all the snippets scattered throughout the forum and/or relayed to us from those who learned answers on discord or through conversations.  No big deal.  It's all just discussion.  **shrugs**

p.s.  I still haven't seen anything to entice me to play it, aside from the initial fun of starting a fresh character on a fresh server, but that's just me and personal preference.  The survival aspects are pretty cool too and a lot of people have not experienced that for a very long time.  I watched the live streams and it reminded me a lot of when a new wu server opens, which is always fun.  For myself though, since I've already done that a number of times now on wu, it's not a big draw for me. 

I'm sure a lot of people will be enjoying it though so in that respect I'd have to say this is a success so far.  I hope it turns out as they've planned.  I'm just still a little disappointed that it's not the hunting server for higher skilled characters that some of us wanted.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Amadee said:

we discuss our current opinions, based on current info

I totally concede that the information is scattered and it causes a lot of conjecture, but in this specific instance I fail to see which "current info" the "no progress" notion is supposed to be based on when a 3 old forums post directly coming straight from the dev blog contradicts it?

I kinda share the notion over a "proper hunting server", but on the other hand...the ideas forwarded for it never had something like the lodestones to facilitate travel to it, and if I had to sail over there everytime, it would in turn have me turned off. :P

I just wish that older accounts got something for their skill, even if was only a 3x buff until you reach your "old potential". But I'm saying this before I've actually been on the thing, so perhaps it's just fine with how fast you can skill just by the flat boost everyone has.

1 hour ago, Amadee said:

I watched the live streams and it reminded me a lot of when a new wu server opens, which is always fun.

I was thinking the same thing too, even more so it all reminded me of the server openings in WO at Deliverance, Pristine and Xanadu where new players were all buzzing around the starter Villages creating mines and finding iron veins to create better tools. Yes, it was a fun gathering all pretty much packed together like that, so I can appreciate that players were enjoying that experience on Jackal as well. Starting with no tools at all is a little too much for my tastes though but I may be lured there with one of my alt guys to mess around while I am playing my main guy on Deliverance.

A pretty cool new adventure for all players but they could also after a time make a Jackal Hunting Server too that current skilled players could portal into using the same Lodestones with a different location option. That would be my hope that comes to pass. Never can tell...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this