Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Jackal: The Stronghold

6 minutes ago, faty said:

can i play as a jackal or ogre please ?

Actually, if Wurm heads off from sandbox to instanced play, why not to introduce races?

Edited by Jaz

14 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Actually, if Wurm heads off from sandbox to instanced play, why not to introduce races?

if using a modified portal with a fancy texture means instanced playing doesnt that mean that epic is already made wurm be instanced play? ;)

• Like 2

Well, Jackal is meant to be really temp, "jump over and bring something back" - so based on the communications not meant for permanent living - unlike the Epic cluster (except the original never existed elevation concept).

Don't get me wrong I'm excited how this update will unfold.

Edited by Jaz

Jackal.jpg

This might be too late to even suggest, but here it goes.  I think many Freedomers will want to support the Jackal invasions rather than fight.  To this end, maybe it would be more beneficial to turn the Jackal Points into a tradeable currency, the Jackal!  Coins earned, via clearing or crafting/trading would return with your character and be used to purchase the vanity items back on Freedom.  Perhaps they could be stored in the bank like Wurm coinage is now.  Perhaps they actually have a conversion rate to Wurm coinage?  Making them a tangible, tradeable item in the game that can be traded and spent is going to make the whole effort more balanced and more interesting, I think.

Just an idea...

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Wanna bet?

Yes, I would. People will exploit mechanics and cheese the content just like they do with everything else. I remember thinking the exact same thing when I implemented titans. I bet that nobody would be able to kill one within a month of the server. Low and behold, players drowned them, sacrificed them, used pets to tank them indefinitely, etc.

No matter how hard you make it, players will be determined enough to cheese it and take it out in a way you haven't thought of yet. So yes, I'd like to bet that these strongholds will be defeated within the first few weeks of the server. Specifically within 3 weeks of when the server launches. What's did you have in mind for the terms of the bet?

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Yes, I would. People will exploit mechanics and cheese the content just like they do with everything else. I remember thinking the exact same thing when I implemented titans. I bet that nobody would be able to kill one within a month of the server. Low and behold, players drowned them, sacrificed them, used pets to tank them indefinitely, etc.

No matter how hard you make it, players will be determined enough to cheese it and take it out in a way you haven't thought of yet. So yes, I'd like to bet that these strongholds will be defeated within the first few weeks of the server. Specifically within 3 weeks of when the server launches. What's did you have in mind for the terms of the bet?

I'll bet a source crystal and 5 kilograms of low-quality horse meat

• Like 1

as someone who plans to re-prem for this, i honestly dont care about the rewards. As long as the mobs are challenging and smart (gang up on you and such) and they make living in jackal an impossible thing to do solo (forces you to hang around the spawn deed with everyone else) then ill have plenty of fun on jackal. Sometimes the experience and the fun that comes from it is already plenty of a reward as is.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Haseroths said:

Sometimes the experience and the fun that comes from it is already plenty of a reward as is.

Untill someone ruins the fun by completing or ninjaing whatever cool stuff was left to do around... which might or might not happen depending on the game design.

I dont even care about item skins, so what will I do with JP now?  Where is the incentive?

Cash shop lite just seems sort of overused but I'll reserve judgement I guess until I've tried it, if I have time for another meta.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Well, since all we have are snippets with no details yet, we can only base our reactions on those snippets.  Based on that I can say at this point, my overall impression so far is that this is definitely not going to be for me but I wish you all well with it and hope it turns out to be fun for those who like this kind of thing.  When the first announcement came out I was really, really hoping this was going to be something akin the to hunting islands on some WU servers.  In that, I have to say I'm disappointed.

My impression at this point is that it is going to be another competitive activity which is not my cup of tea in an mmo.  It seems it's, firstly, going to be a competitive race to "git gud."  Skills, equipment, resources, whatever. And then the goal itself.  Bleh.  Doesn't sound like fun to me.  If I wanted that kind of competition I'd play something like PUBG where the stress is only in short sessions rather than spread out over months.

But as I said, this may be enjoyable for some and I hope it turns out like they're hoping it will.  For myself, if it is what it sounds like with the limited info we have so far, I guess I'll stick with WU for my main playing.  This isn't something that will entice me to increase my play time on WO since I won't be bothering with it.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, nygen said:

Ideally the jackal points would function like a transferable currency.  There has to be some reason for people to function as fulltime crafters on jackal :P

The primary reason to be a full-time jackal crafter is trade. To come stand at the stronghold and fight takes investment. Investment of time to level up your crafting skills on a server that will be deleted. Or investment of some silver into gear from people who did, so that you only need level up your fightskill to participate.

As a full-timer. I am banking on the latter to be significant enough to justify my investment of time. Especially as the hype drops off in later cycles of Jackal though, I really hope that these cosmetics have a high enough demand to keep people coming out to Jackal to buy my wares, or that if they aren't doing the job they adjust it by adding more rewards.

Regular rift points, the ability to import unbreedable animals, logs, and crops from jackal using the points we earn out here, other rewards etc. 

This development is GREAT for people with new accounts they can't really compete with ancient accounts on freedom/epic. But keeping it viable is a matter of keeping most of the players in the game in a state where they will see visiting Jackal on occasion, and buying weapons, armor, food, bandages etc. while they are out there as a worthwhile endeavor. 

Edited by Odinkar
  • Like 2

This update just makes me sad...as a loner explorer and builder, I'm not much of a fighter.  This whole world I won't get to see because it was designed with fighting in mind, as far as I can tell.  I don't participate in, nor am I interested in Rifts.  I would be interested in exploring a whole new world/moon and discovering things, but if you have to fight your way there and back to get anything from it...then it's not for me  ....So I'm just sad. :(

I strongly agree with Amadee, a hunting server with new harder mobs that resets every 6 months would have been a dream.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 1

I've mixed views on it.

Interestingly enough though, I wonder how priests will be handled on Jackal.  Will it be a world free of magic, or will it have a magic of its own?

Still there is a lot of speculation. Will we be able to access ingame silver at all so that trade can happen (souls with bank accounts, hmm)? I did not understand Amadee's point, why this should be a competitive activity beyond rift rewards and materials we got (or did not get all time) only that they are now called rift points. Beyond that, it is just a new mechanic. And of course it is a hunting server. Question is whether one can collect at least a few points by solo exploring and hunting. And whether death affects the temp stats on Jackal or those on Freedom/Chaos/Epic as well.

The priest question is interesting, too. Will a priest transferring to jackal remain a priest, a follower a follower? After all, our skills reset, and a lvl 1 can't be either of them.

Meh i'll give it a go, but it better be good, although  the reward systems already sound like government cheese, the nasty stuff in the cardboard box. With the way Bethesda has handled Fallout 76, and the cringing demise of so many other what started as good games. i think we all would be better off going back to table top DnD.

Please let us know if "roaming parties" on the free world of Wurm will encounter horses or bison hitched off deed, or perhaps a saddled horse left by a Wurmian logged out for the day, and kill the horses/bison? Thanks.

Just a comment about why some people I know stayed in the game to go to rifts during times they found comfortable:  The rolling timers of rifts made it possible for all people around the globe to have them open during a "good time" every now and again.  Having the requirement to make teams of people will inevitably revert back to the same nonsense with uniques where the player party can only be formed during a time slot where the most players can attend.  Invariably this excludes a lot of people, like Australians. 

5 hours ago, Hypatia said:

This update just makes me sad...as a loner explorer and builder, I'm not much of a fighter.  This whole world I won't get to see because it was designed with fighting in mind, as far as I can tell.  I don't participate in, nor am I interested in Rifts.  I would be interested in exploring a whole new world/moon and discovering things, but if you have to fight your way there and back to get anything from it...then it's not for me  ....So I'm just sad. :(

You missed the part where EVERYONE is going there with no skills. You go there and you're as noob as everyone else. This is designed literally for people like you in mind, to create and experience you can feel comfortable in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fairyshine said:

Just a comment about why some people I know stayed in the game to go to rifts during times they found comfortable:  The rolling timers of rifts made it possible for all people around the globe to have them open during a "good time" every now and again.  Having the requirement to make teams of people will inevitably revert back to the same nonsense with uniques where the player party can only be formed during a time slot where the most players can attend.  Invariably this excludes a lot of people, like Australians. 

this is just a rolling restart of rifts so everyone has a rift in their timezone to attend. They will again start drifting according to finish times 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

this is just a rolling restart of rifts so everyone has a rift in their timezone to attend. They will again start drifting according to finish times 

Thanks for the response.  Do you perhaps know whether parties of Jackal scouts will kill horses which are left by players when they log off, e.g. a saddled and branded animal taken with someone to go do arch, or a hitched animal somewhere?  If so we should be able to make these animals log of with us?

Sign in to follow this