Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Jackal: The Stronghold

The Stronghold

day4.png

Deep into the wilderness of Jackal lies a fortified position that is home to a special beacon powerful enough to radiate its influence to the far edges of Jackal. As players expand farther into Jackal, it will become harder and harder to create beacons strong enough to overpower this influence. Breaching into this stronghold will be a difficult but necessary task to completely rid the lands of the corrupting influence.

Those brave enough to breach and defeat the stronghold will receive a large number of Jackal points which will be redeemable by their character when they travel back to the lands of Wurm. Completing other tasks on Jackal will also reward these points, and when redeemed will allow players to choose from a list of special item skin variants that can then be applied to an existing item to cosmetically change it. The list of available skins will be expanding over the coming weeks and months, so keep an eye out.

In addition to Jackal points, random rewards from completing Rifts and Rift Scouts will be replaced with Rift points which can be redeemed in a similar manner for the player’s choice of items from the Rift reward table.
Points can be saved and collected across servers and multiple rifts, with some items requiring attending multiple rifts to earn enough points to claim.

• Like 11

"ughhh skins in wurm whats going to be next? lootboxes?" -emoo 2019

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Those brave enough to breach and defeat the stronghold will receive a large number of Jackal points which will be redeemable by their character when they travel back to the lands of Wurm.

OKAY... I was letting my concerns out last night in GL freedom about some competitive gameplay that will only reward a few players... and here we are. As if the current unique mess is not enough, we will have a once in a 6 month period 'large point opportunity" for those who will manage to get in at their convenience.

Sorry, but this seems (another) bad game design.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

In addition to Jackal points, random rewards from completing Rifts and Rift Scouts will be replaced with Rift points which can be redeemed in a similar manner for the player’s choice of items from the Rift reward table.

So from now on there will be no drops of rift jewelry and such but points instead and these items can be bought from those points in a "rift shop"?

From one side it is not so good from market perspective ... but from the other the rift lot market is quite non existent so with a proper balance I welcome this change, I'm bored of another dark ring on PVE :P

Edited by Jaz

Ughhh nothing....   THIS is the kind of PVE content that Wurm really needs to round out the PVP and sandbox features.  I am guessing once players working together are able to breach and defeat the stronghold, the map will reset and start over?

Warning:  If there is any PVP on Jackal, this whole marvelous system will come crashing down...  Oh, and don't forget to get rid of a few Freedom maps, for the icing on the cake!

Good Stuff Wurm!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

Ughhh nothing....   THIS is the kind of PVE content that Wurm really needs to round out the PVP and sandbox features.  I am guessing once players working together are able to breach and defeat the stronghold, the map will reset and start over?

Warning:  If there is any PVP on Jackal, this whole marvelous system will come crashing down...  Oh, and don't forget to get rid of a few Freedom maps, for the icing on the cake!

Good Stuff Wurm!

Hmmm... now that you bring that up: I wanna be a mercenary selling his sword to support the stuffed dogs and toy rabbits!

• Like 1

I dunno how intrested in skins I am but if the strongholds are done well they might tempt me neough to poke my avatar outside his village shell

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Odynn said:

OKAY... I was letting my concerns out last night in GL freedom about some competitive gameplay that will only reward a few players... and here we are. As if the current unique mess is not enough, we will have a once in a 6 month period 'large point opportunity" for those who will manage to get in at their convenience.

Sorry, but this seems (another) bad game design.

I reckon just because this particular action gives "a large number of points", most of your points earned will still accumulate over the groundwork done to conquer the land to begin with. Ideally the extra reward is "nice to have" but insignificant compared to the points earned by consistent contribution over time.

And despite the apparent problem of having to be online/lucky just like with the other things that you allude to, and rightfully so, at least there's a truly competitive aspect of having to reach a status where you can raid the thing to begin with, as everyone is starting from zero. Uniques are penned and slain by fully prepared characters and players; imagine they had to forge the tools, weapons, and armour to pull it off again every time, and do some grinding along the way before they even get there.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 3

Just now, Flubb said:

And despite the apparent problem of having to be online/lucky just like with the other things that you allude to, and rightfully so, at least there's a truly competitive aspect of having to reach a status where you can raid the thing to begin with, as everyone is starting from zero

Within a week the thing will be raided by those who have a lot of time to play (and be prepared) against those who have work or others RL occupations. We will just face the same problems like usual.

• Like 6

If this really is how I think it is... Then I gotta give it to you guys. You are good at making the same mistakes over and over.

Cosmetics scare me, as I will miss out on their greatness as my character is the wrong gender.
On that note, lets capitalize on mistakes/bad decisions that 2% of people make, which will turn a wonderful profit I'm sure.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Odynn said:

Within a week the thing will be raided by those who have a lot of time to play (and be prepared) against those who have work or others RL occupations. We will just face the same problems like usual.

Wanna bet? 

I also think you're vastly overestimating just how weak you will be within a week of gameplay, even if you have 90 skills 

2 minutes ago, Wiolo said:

Cosmetics scare me, as I will miss out on their greatness as my character is the wrong gender.

girls can hold swords too (unless you're a boy then boys can hold swords too) 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Odynn said:

I think it is universally understood by most MMO players that those who are able to put more time into the game get more out of the game at a faster rate than others.  I don't think CodeClub can or should be responsible for mitigating that fact.  I think if these new Jackal scenarios immediately reset after the stronghold is defeated, it gives a constant active scenario for anyone to pop into and contribute in whatever way they want, gaining a bit of this and that along the way.  It almost seems to me to be a sort of extended quest/story line you see in other MMOs.  If so, and if it is not totally wrecked by greedy PVP content, it will provide some PVE content readily available ANY TIME for ANY player.  I am liking this, to be honest.

• Like 3

Just now, Retrograde said:

Wanna bet? 

We both know that with the EZ mode WU skilling system, the fact we have tight knit groups who can play 10+ hours a day that will most likely happen. Split the load and you will have 90QL weapons / armors / materials within two or three days... after that, it will just be a matter of how difficult the stronghold is.

Maybe not in a week, but way too fast for a server that is supposed to provide entertainment for 6 months.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

I think if these new Jackal scenarios immediately reset after the stronghold is defeated, it gives a constant active scenario for anyone to pop into and contribute in whatever way they want, gaining a bit of this and that along the way.

Apparently they will only reset once every 6 month... so depending on all the details we don't know yet... this might be bad (or worse).

On 8/25/2019 at 2:28 AM, DevBlog said:

The Jackal server will be a server that resets every 6 months, with faster skillgain and action speed to account for this, meaning a fresh start for players wanting to experience it without the feeling of everyone being ahead.

Edited by Odynn

23 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Wanna bet? 

Wanna loose your peen?
(This is a threat. Run away)

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Odynn said:

Apparently they will only reset once every 6 month... so depending on all the details we don't know yet... this might be bad (or worse).

That'a a totally BAD idea.  What if the day of the reset the players had planned to take the stronghold?  It should be determined by the players activity, not some arbitrary deadline.

• Like 2

Lol, all jokes and silliness aside from me. I do still have faith. Taking down rift scout camps and what not will probably rack up to be more than the stronghold after 6 whole months of doin' it.
I still think It's a bad system so far though. You can't expect the playerbase to just unanimously come together without a holy load of people missing out on the greatest of fun.

Edited by Wiolo

The stronghold sounds fun. I think the people with the most playtime that dominate everything are going to be too busy in main Wurm Online to go out and live on Jackal full-time to be the fastest that can dominate strongholds. And if they do, how will they still have the time to dominate all the content in regular WO? 

As someone who will be living in Jackal full time, I am far more interested in selling all you part-time jacklers gear to come take on the stronghold with us than I am to denying it to everyone else. 

I am interested to know though, are cosmetic skills really the only thing we can get living on Jackal? The blog makes it sound like we'll have to go back through the rift to get rift points. I'd personally love to get some of the new rift points from some of the content we do out here too.

All we have now are assumptions. Why not to wait a few days before coming to even early conclusions? 

This all may be quite different (or not though). Give it time to unveil. 

• Like 4

Yes of course @Jaz, but It's good to also point these kinds of mistakes that the devs could make BEFORE they release it. As much as I want to reserve my judgement. I feel It's good to point out what could go horribly wrong so that it doesn't.

Edited by Wiolo
Proper punctuation put in.

Heh, might as well raise potential issue and see them fixed before the launch before seeing the same mess being repeated over like challenge was.

But yes, we do need to know a lot more things specially on what we will be able to bring back from jackal, how the skill transfer to the land of wurm will work, what kind of rewards we can expect (skins... really?!), if they will be tradeable... etc etc.

• Like 3

Ideally the jackal points would function like a transferable currency.  There has to be some reason for people to function as fulltime crafters on jackal :P

Considering that it is a few days until launch only... I suppose more or less the new content is set into stone set aside some minor tweaks. 

Disclaimer: I may or may not be wrong on this as well of course, I personally really like all the fog around the new release.

• Like 2

Well IMO as someone who is leaving the game, this could be a change to keep me from going, but because there is so little information and  i have seen the history of how the updates work in this game i would bet my money against it being good. Now if there was the whole information about it out there i could my assumptions and if they are good i would stay. And if i am leaving i am probably not going to come back. In that sense them giving out the information could first of all hype up players who are leaving, players who are stalking and maybe get some people interested of coming back instead of this vague RP stuff which might feel cool, but isnt really helpful. So GL to you guys(and gals) and have fun, im out. 

Edited by Wulfgarr
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Wulfgarr said:

Well IMO as someone who is leaving the game, this could be a change to keep me from going, but because there is so little information and  i have seen the history of how the updates work in this game i would bet my money against it being good. Now if there was the whole information about it out there i could my assumptions and if they are good i would stay. And if i am leaving i am probably not going to come back. In that sense them giving out the information could first of all hype up players who are leaving, players who are stalking and maybe get some people interested of coming back instead of this vague RP stuff which might feel cool, but isnt really helpful. So GL to you guys(and gals) and have fun, im out. 

Well from what has been said here and there they are releasing bits and pieces every day before launch and then the day or a few hours before launch an entire list of changes so that we know exactly what is going to happen and such so if they do actually do that and answer questions that are asked then it will be great

Sign in to follow this