Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Forum woes post mortem?

As Shakys closed the original thread, will there be some information what caused the troubles? Just for curiosity, and transparency.

Not at this point, while they're somewhat useable it's not quite over

22 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

I broke the dam.... 

ned thing.

I mean if you want credit. :)

Seriously speaking, as Retrograde said though it's not quite over yet.

3 hours ago, Keenan said:

ned thing.

I mean if you want credit. :)

Seriously speaking, as Retrograde said though it's not quite over yet.

I adore your post mortem reports on the tech side of Wurm when things go wrong. Any chance of you making a big detailed post like you have in the past once it's all over and we're safe?

+1 for the above.. but also..

Have you guys considered to use twitter and place links(usually on website header/footer bars) to it for LIVE updates when such things happen? 

Twitter seems to be the common choice when it comes to sharing something about server status/updates/downtime/maintenance ETA/etc...

I can see the obvious twitter link on bottom of the forum pages, but that's not shown on main website.

To be quite honest, I was posting in Discord but didn't think to use Twitter. I've basically been either waking up or finishing up work and turning back to these issues.

It's not a postmortem but the TL/DR of the forum issues is that we had some malicious traffic that seemed to exasperate a hardware issue. I did some upgrades last night but I don't think that resolved the hardware issue, it was simply intermittent and will return. Meanwhile I was working with Rolf on forward plans to relocate the forums (again), this time into AWS. So that's the plan. :)

• Like 2

As someone who doesn't use twitter or discord or any other social media, I'm perfectly happy with forum updates on things.  Honestly, I'm not sure I understand how the forum can't be just as "live" as social media since all it requires is a post.  But that's just me and using social media for updates wouldn't affect me one way or the other unless updates stopped being made on the forums in favor of social media.

p.s.  Just being conversational here, not trying to be critical or adversarial.  It was brought to my attention that it could have been taken that way.  So, apologies if I don't always come across in the way I intend. :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Amadee said:

As someone who doesn't use twitter or discord or any other social media, I'm perfectly happy with forum updates on things.  Honestly, I'm not sure I understand how the forum can't be just as "live" as social media since all it requires is a post.  But that's just me and using social media for updates wouldn't affect me one way or the other unless updates stopped being made on the forums in favor of social media.

p.s.  Just being conversational here, not trying to be critical or adversarial.  It was brought to my attention that it could have been taken that way.  So, apologies if I don't always come across in the way I intend. :)

The problem is that the forums where what was down. :)

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Keenan said:

The problem is that the forums where what was down. :)

Yeah, hah. There was a convo ingame that went something like - from memory:

- Is there any news about the forum problems, do they say what caused it?

- Not that I know of. Um, it's kinda hard to check forum for updates, it's down

- ...Oh.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Anarres said:

Yeah, hah. There was a convo ingame that went something like - from memory:

- Is there any news about the forum problems, do they say what caused it?

- Not that I know of. Um, it's kinda hard to check forum for updates, it's down

- ...Oh.

There was a quote from me... I was about to ask someone to post a status on the forums about the forum outage. >.>

• Like 2