Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Jackal: The Next Frontier

clientHeaderInternational-1.png

Journal of Jack A. Lormere.

Day 5: I’ve been on the trail of these rumoured creatures and I’ve discovered something shocking. The link between these lands and Jackal have grown strong enough to cross both ways. Strange rocks now cover the land after these “Rifts” are closed and they allow me to transfer a part of myself to their home lands, Jackal. I don’t think my knowledge and skill crosses to Jackal, but upon returning I feel like I’ve retained what I’ve learned…

For years now, the aggressive residents of Jackal have been relentlessly attacking the lands of Wurm through the use of Rifts – transporting themselves to Wurm and attempting to wreak havoc upon the citizens there. Now it’s the players’ turn, as Jackal becomes a land that players can travel to.

Following the close of the first Rifts after the next update, items known as Lodestones will appear at the site of the Rift and become craftable by players. These Lodestones will allow you to transport your soul to Jackal to take the fight back to them. Lodestone travel will be two-way, and will only transport your soul – no items or skills – but travel back to the lands of Wurm will impart some knowledge onto your character that you gained while on Jackal.

The Jackal server will be a server that resets every 6 months, with faster skillgain and action speed to account for this, meaning a fresh start for players wanting to experience it without the feeling of everyone being ahead.

These lands are not as tailored for human living as the normal Wurm lands, and this will be evident as you make your way there and explore. Work together and fight your way through the denizens of Jackal and take control of the land.

This is only the beginning of what the lands of Jackal entail, more details about this hostile and alien landscape will be unveiled over the coming days.

The post Jackal: The Next Frontier appeared first on Wurm Online.

• Like 12

No skills and no items?

Meh. Tepidly awaiting more information.

Edited by Delacroix
  • Like 2

Hype level? Zero so far, as much as I hate to say it about this piece that the Wurm dev team are working hard on.

Keep up the good work guys.

To me it just sounds like a hunting server with compromised skillgain so far. But I'm not disappointed at all knowing how feedback heavy these things are and how little we know.

Edited by Wiolo

6 hours ago, DevBlog said:

Lodestones will appear at the site of the Rift and become craftable by players

Good call. Finally some content that isn't locked behind whacky location and time "choices".

I'm pretty hyped, I hope this will become something close to what Roccandil once suggested with us besieging and breaking into NPC villages on Jackal :D

Yeah I hope it will incorporate some level (or areas) of PVP too - with no item transfers it is nothing to lose anyway.

No deeds, no item transfer and limited skill gain is what I see so far. Looks pretty gloom. Awaiting more information in the hopes that there is some kind of reward for going there. Otherwise? Rip.

21 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

No deeds, no item transfer and limited skill gain is what I see so far. Looks pretty gloom. Awaiting more information in the hopes that there is some kind of reward for going there. Otherwise? Rip.

Who said no deeds and limited skillgain? 

6 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Who said no deeds and limited skillgain? 

7 hours ago, DevBlog said:

Lodestone travel will be two-way, and will only transport your soul – no items or skills – but travel back to the lands of Wurm will impart some knowledge onto your character that you gained while on Jackal.

7 hours ago, DevBlog said:

These lands are not as tailored for human living as the normal Wurm lands

You did. That's what I got from your extremely vague ambiguous post. 

• Like 5

I'm excited! And that pic looks great, nice creepy atmosphere ^_^

And I like how this ties in with the rifts, expanding on what's already there/the existing story/lore, makes it feel evolving - wasn't expecting that at all!

Can't wait for more details! Is there an eta on this yet?

Mix of several already discussed ideas, ok..

Wonder what will be returned back.. and if that creates a new meta somehow.. 

Time will tell! For now #WooHoo #Hype #NewContent

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

You did. That's what I got from your extremely vague ambiguous post. 

well this is what I read

Journal of Jack A. Lormere.

Day 5: I’ve been on the trail of these rumoured creatures and I’ve discovered something shocking. The link between these lands and Jackal have grown strong enough to cross both ways. Strange rocks now cover the land after these “Rifts” are closed and they allow me to transfer a part of myself to their home lands, Jackal. I don’t think my knowledge and skill crosses to Jackal, but upon returning I feel like I’ve retained what I’ve learned…

For years now, the aggressive residents of Jackal have been relentlessly attacking the lands of Wurm through the use of Rifts – transporting themselves to Wurm and attempting to wreak havoc upon the citizens there. Now it’s the players’ turn, as Jackal becomes a land that players can travel to.

Following the close of the first Rifts after the next update, items known as Lodestones will appear at the site of the Rift and become craftable by players. These Lodestones will allow you to transport your soul to Jackal to take the fight back to them. Lodestone travel will be two-way, and will only transport your soul – no items or skills – but travel back to the lands of Wurm will impart some knowledge onto your character that you gained while on Jackal.

The Jackal server will be a server that resets every 6 months, with faster skillgain and action speed to account for this, meaning a fresh start for players wanting to experience it without the feeling of everyone being ahead.

These lands are not as tailored for human living as the normal Wurm lands, and this will be evident as you make your way there and explore. Work together and fight your way through the denizens of Jackal and take control of the land.

This is only the beginning of what the lands of Jackal entail, more details about this hostile and alien landscape will be unveiled over the coming days.

The post Jackal: The Next Frontier appeared first on Wurm Online.

• Like 1

Stoked!!

Old player since 2008 here, havent played in a few years but looking forward to something new and a resetting server sounds really interesting! Hope the add rewards to make it worth rebuilding every 6 months!!

Phennexion / Mitchy / Movu / Siegfried 

I dont get the negativity, we dont really know what features and ideas they have for this yet? It might turn out really cool, or not, who knows. But I am at least interested to find out more!

• Like 3

On 8/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, DevBlog said:

The Jackal server will be a server that resets every 6 months, with faster skillgain and action speed to account for this

Seems some missed the "faster" part here; but yeah the 6 month termination point and deletion of all accomplishments there are negatives to be considered.

Although some compensation may make time spent there of some value to Wurm Characters indicated by this statement:

On 8/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, DevBlog said:

but travel back to the lands of Wurm will impart some knowledge onto your character that you gained while on Jackal

What exactly this means remains to be seen but to me this would be the main reason to spend any time there beyond a curious look around. If it is of little value in that respect I would see this as just another WU type of server not really up to par with more established better ones available to play upon for your Wurm diversionary experience.

As with all things, time will tell. Yet one of the main drawing points of Wurm is the ability to build your Character over years of time and have your skills and accomplishments remain as both testament to that and the further enjoyment of the game that they provide. Hopefully this "Next Frontier" will be a further benefit to the main game. We shall see.....

=Ayes=

• Like 3

I remember when Jenn-Kellon Home was shut down when Independence was opened.  If you are going to open (yet) another map, please consider shutting down several maps.  It won't be nearly as bad as you think.  The population is woefully spread out too thin.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 2

Ok. Now that so many others did theirs, let me add my rant.

But first, cheers to the idea, sounds interesting and worth a visit, or some more. As to the gains, hell, I don't care wet sh*t as long as it is fun and thrill. I am still working on my fairly fresh character, no skill at 99, metallurgy not even 50, ws only slightly above, my deed, mine, animals, ships, and tunnels demanding me, so I must steal some time for the new server. So no complaints, I am looking forward. 

But: damn, you did it again. Good, prolly great development work, a new environment, new server, and not even a damn press release, no tiny announcement outside the Wurm echo chamber. And just this thing looks great to lure even rather fresh characters in, even not crazy grinders like me, equal chances, great adventure.

Are you afraid  that Wurm participation could rise? Just my 2 iron worth.

Pretty stoked about this. 

Based on the limited information you could draw the conclusion there is "no point" but it feels like there is a point that is yet to be announced.

Personally I'm hoping Jackal has its own journal system that resets every 6 months. Maybe something a bit more randomized from individual to individual like the old "life goals" system. I'm hoping the higher you go on that reward system, the cooler bonuses you win. 

And I'm hoping that those bonuses take the form of rewards we can bring back to Wurm Online's main servers.

Would also love to see some cool uniques monsters etc. that you can get things importable to WO for killing.

That's my ideal scenario. As long as they get some kind of draw to get people to go there I'm going to be all over this though.

55 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

I remember when Jenn-Kellon Home was shut down when Independence was opened.  If you are going to open (yet) another map, please consider shutting down several maps.  It won't be nearly as bad you think.  The population is woefully spread out too thin.

I don't think that is a bad suggestion. Personally if we were to shut down some servers I would say Epic and Xanadu. Epic because it's dead, and because releasing a PvP island for Jackal would entirely negate its relevance as a cluster. 

Xanadu, while it may be the most populated server it has ridiculous travel times and lag due to its massive size. People living on Xanadu, especially central Xanadu, are very disconnected from the rest of the game. Shutting down Xanadu would cause a mass Exodus onto smaller servers which would make them feel far more populated.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Odinkar said:

Xanadu, while it may be the most populated server it has ridiculous travel times and lag due to its massive size. People living on Xanadu, especially central Xanadu, are very disconnected from the rest of the game. Shutting down Xanadu would cause a mass Exodus onto smaller servers which would make them feel far more populated.

Shutting down Xanadu would cause my exodus from Wurm.

• Like 4

So transferring over you leave a corps behind ? or it just logs out and you end up in frontier as a new player no skills ?

By what I was reading  you transfer back to freedom with skill gains if that's what retro wording is and somewhat faster skill gains ?

If faster skill gains then people will just go there to lvl up like Epic but you keep your gains coming back from Frontier not Epic .

6 month sounds like a new slate wipe for any terrain changes players make ....

Wonder if you get auto sent back to home server at end of 6 months or you get a missing char if you don't  ?

Will wait and see ....

But sounds good ..

Sign in to follow this