Sign in to follow this  
EleDoK

Map Dumps - Freedom servers only

This may of already been talked about and may be in the wrong place so feel free to move it.

I would like to see more frequent map dumps for just the freedom servers excluding Chaos. I know and understand the requirement for security there. So this would be just Independence, Deliverance, Exodus, Celebration, Xanadu, Pristine and Release. This would make the community maps more accurate as things are constantly changing.

What say you all?

• Like 4

Id suggest we are given the map information so we can update our own maps.

Like WU we can update at any time the map. I suggest we have access to the pve maps so we can do it once a month our selves. I'd prefier this over the method used now.

I'd love to automate this, but we also have a policy of reviewing the map dumps for issues and regenerating them after. Issues such as foul language, slurs, and the like. We pass the locations to the GM team who do the investigation, repair, and reprimand if need be.

And trust me, there's almost always someone out there who thinks they're witty enough to pull it off.

So we wouldn't be able to do up-to-the-moment map dumps. More frequent would be nice once I'm able to automate the export process, but that'd be a long time off at this point due to higher priority issues.

• Like 2

Constant map dumps also lead to the bizarre scenario of being able to do something really silly, like pack a few tiles around you in a specific pattern, and use that to determine your pixel-accurate position on the map, and this feels particularly un-Wurmy to me.

I wouldn't mind this at all. The community maps are fairly easy to navigate, at least the Xanadu one is thanks to @jackjones

On another note if you want to know where you are it's no skin of mine, it's how you choose to do your adventures. I do agree it will be literally instantly that people begin to weaponize this feature to sling insults at gms/mods etc. Although with enough warnings and caution signs we can prepare those willing to access this feature for the worst. Just like community maps are only accessed by those that want that advantage.

My thought was 2-4 times a year but hey thanks for the responses. The message is out, the thoughts are there. 

On 8/28/2019 at 12:11 AM, Ostentatio said:

Constant map dumps also lead to the bizarre scenario of being able to do something really silly, like pack a few tiles around you in a specific pattern, and use that to determine your pixel-accurate position on the map, and this feels particularly un-Wurmy to me.

It's not like you cant figure where exactly you are with landmarks…

BUT exact wurm-gps is unwurmy indeed