Sign in to follow this  
Gwyn

[INFO]Very Low Affinity Timers From Complex Food

99ql highly complex pizzas (50+ unique ingredients) are giving only 3-hr affinity timers.

Pizzas made the exact same way a month or two ago gave roughly 20-hr timers.

This is the second batch of ten pizzas that has come out this way (first two weeks ago, second today). I have ruled out human error (the stones were definitely cycled through inventory of a character with 100 HFC and active prem).

IIRC I had some issues with meals with the same ingredients giving different length timer. I think it was so that meals with complex ingredients added first had low affinity timer and meals with the complex ingredient had high affinity timer.

So try adding the most complex ingredient last and see what result you get. For example(though this specific meal overflows and gives negative affinity timer, but that's most likely an unrelated bug).

DbInxPH.png

alongside boilingforts comments, if you cut down the amount of ingredients is the affinity longer or shorteR?

Just made another pizza with far fewer ingredients (20+ unique). It came out with a lower affinity timer (2 hrs). This too is much, much less than similar pizzas I've made in the past, which usually gave 8-9 hrs.

Tested by making a meal instead of pizza - similar massive nerf to affinity timer. 16 unique ingredients all top ql, all chopped/minced if possible, 99ql meal - 51min timer. In past it would have been 4 hrs or so.

New test: 

Made same meal twice, once with pre-chopped veggies taken from FSB, once with unchopped veg taken from FSB and then chopped just prior to cooking. Fresh-chopped meal gave long timer in line with past experience – roughly three times the length of the pre-chopped meal.

This, or a similar bug has been reported in past:

Spoiler

Hypothesis:

This may be affecting me now because I recently swapped out the contents of my FSBs in order to fit quality locks. That seems to coincide with the start of the issue.

TL;DR

• FSBed chopped veg/herbs and ground spices are much less complex than freshly chopped/ground.
  • This was not the case only a few weeks ago.

Can I please get confirmation whether this is a bug or intended feature?

8 hours ago, Gwyn said:

• FSBed chopped veg/herbs and ground spices are much less complex than freshly chopped/ground.
  • This was not the case only a few weeks ago.

This was the case for as long as I can remember in the new cooking system. You even found old topics describing the same behavior above, it was there a few weeks ago as far as I can tell? Every now and then (not often but recurring) there are questions in CA about different affinity timers and often it turns out it's because people used pre-chopped once and newly-chopped another time. Yes they differ - a lot.

You may misremember if you used pre-chopped a few weeks ago, I don't know but it's common for people to not care about it before they know FSB-ed matters. In any case, yes, pre-chopped are more convenient, but lead to less affinity timers. I guess it makes some sense to me too...

2 hours ago, Anarres said:

You may misremember if you used pre-chopped a few weeks ago, I don't know but it's common for people to not care about it before they know FSB-ed matters. In any case, yes, pre-chopped are more convenient, but lead to less affinity timers. I guess it makes some sense to me too...

Please take me at my word. The situation is as described.

I make a *lot* of pizzas. You may have seen my regular ads offering 5 or 10 unique slices of pizza in trade chat. That is because for over a year, about once or twice a month I make 10 highly complex pizzas that use as many unique ingredients as possible (50+). I follow set routines, and cooking is no exception. The vast majority of my veg and herbs have always been taken from FSB pre-chopped. I might have to chop a few odd ingredients now and again when the FSB is short – but there have been no significant changes in my cooking routine for over a year. In the past month, however, there has been a huge drop in affinity timer lengths across all types of cooked food that I have years of experience cooking. As I said, one significant and seemingly concurrent event has been the fact that I swapped out the contents of my FSBs a few weeks ago in order to fit QL locks. Could this have activated some latent update to the complexity system that my FSBs had been protected from?

Others have observed inconsistencies here as well, although oddly much longer ago. In the spoiler, taken from another thread is a comment from Locath (who, as the creator of the publicly available affinity calculator, ought to know what he's talking about):

Spoiler

Here's the relevant quote from Locath:

After chopping the ingredients without putting them in to FSB, straight into the pan, timers are back to normal. Issue seems to be with FSB, this didn't happen before. Fresh vs FSB stored might have been different, never used ingredients with "fresh" tag but chopped and stored in FSB used to work fine until recently.

So something was changed. Leaving aside the mystery of why it's affecting me only now, the big question remains: is this a bug or an intended feature? The question was never answered in the other threads.

3 hours ago, Anarres said:

In any case, yes, pre-chopped are more convenient, but lead to less affinity timers. I guess it makes some sense to me too...

How does it make sense? That complexity resets or is changed when you take a chopped veggie out of an fsb ( or as I suspect that it happens when you put them in the fsb).

Using that logic would not everything put into the fsb reset complexity or whatever the code is actually doing?

To me it looks like a bug, I can not see a dev intentionally coding that type of behavior. The only purpose would be to penalize players for spending time pre-chopping veggies and storing them.

Side Note - I do not pre-chop my veggies to be used for cooking, so it has never actually affected me. I just do not see how this makes sense.

I am pretty sure its not intentionally coded that way, rather the fact that individual data is not stored when an item is placed in a bulk bin, which is exactly what the point of the bulk bin is, storing data in bulk not individually.  Maybe a flag could be put on all basic processed bulkable stuff that says "this is processed once", I don't know, I'm not a dev but the original and unfortunate intent by Tich to begin with was to not allow any processed items to be bulked at all.  Allowing chopped items to be bulked came with allowing priests to sac them for favor as far as I recall

Gwyn, I'm just saying this is an old and known behavior. It comes periodically in CA Chat. Really.