Sign in to follow this  
Brattygirl

[INFO] Magical Chest Bug

While going into my large magical chest today I noticed that my small Magical chest is now at 10.41 dmg. I know that before it had around 7 damage on it. Was wondering why it might be that it got damage while in an object that is supposed to remove decay on an object. Unfortunately I do not know the steps to reproduce this as I do not know how it happened. I can say that the Small Magical chest has not left the large magical chest for atleast 6 months or so.

I have had this happen precisely years ago.  I had my small magical chest inside my large magical chest.  I can clearly recall my large magical chest was inside a large cart at the time as I was moving homes.  So, neither in my case were planted as decorations on a deed.  I expected the Large Magical chest to take decay dmg, but as brattygirl posted, I didn't expect the small magical chest inside to take damage.  I would note that the meals inside all took exactly 10.00 dmg as well.  I still have a couple meals left as it happens, still at 10.00 dmg.  This has not happened since.  I cannot reproduce it either.

• Like 1

The Large Magical chest has not left my deed. And it is secured in my house on deed. The deed currently has over 200 days of upkeep. So no idea why it would decay like that. Thank you Nomadikhan for adding some further detail to this!

• Like 1

magic chest will decay in a container/vehicle super fast, your case should rule it out but apparently not.

its best to dropped on ground inside house on deed, stacking serves no purpose.

I also recall that nesting magic chests doesnt work to protect decay, I will run a test on the test server for it and update this thread later

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I also recall that nesting magic chests doesnt work to protect decay, I will run a test on the test server for it and update this thread later

Nesting magical chests will remove the decay of the chest inside.

technically magic chests never stopped decay... just slowed it down by a large amount... but when a tick occurs, damage still happens.

30 minutes ago, Odynn said:

technically magic chests never stopped decay... just slowed it down by a large amount... but when a tick occurs, damage still happens.

If that is the case then how come I have yet to see anything else in my chest decay? The only items with damage are items I have placed in there with damage (Pelts, whetstones, moonmetal). I mean I have had some items in that chest over a year now.

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

That is just wrong information you are providing here. This has never been the case, magical chests will remove 100% of the decay, there is no decay inside.

Back to the topic, let's look at real facts and not just Wurm superstition.

Fun fact due to what looks to me like a bug but maybe it is intended, magical chests inside magical chests will decay just as normal. But magical chests decay super slow, but when they get a tick then it will be a bigger tick.

The formular for the decay is: 

newDamage = currentDamage + timesSinceLastUsed * Math.max(decayMin, this.getDamageModifier(true)));

so there are a lot factors around. If you open the magical chest as often as possible you should not see any damage, I guess, not sure when the timeSinceLastUsed is reset to the current time. Decay remains a strange thing in Wurm but there is actual math around.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

That is just wrong information you are providing here. This has never been the case, magical chests will remove 100% of the decay, there is no decay inside.

Back to the topic, let's look at real facts and not just Wurm superstition.

Fun fact due to what looks to me like a bug but maybe it is intended, magical chests inside magical chests will decay just as normal. But magical chests decay super slow, but when they get a tick then it will be a bigger tick.

The formular for the decay is: 

newDamage = currentDamage + timesSinceLastUsed * Math.max(decayMin, this.getDamageModifier(true)));

so there are a lot factors around. If you open the magical chest as often as possible you should not see any damage, I guess, not sure when the timeSinceLastUsed is reset to the current time. Decay remains a strange thing in Wurm but there is actual math around.

IIRC timeSinceLastUsed is only reset when picking up the chest.

7 hours ago, boilingfort said:

IIRC timeSinceLastUsed is only reset when picking up the chest.

That must be the case. Because I keep all of my hand tools in the small magical chest. And I am constantly going in and out to get them.

I bring this back up because my small magical chest is now at 13.20 damage. So it somehow got another damage tick.

It has taken decay, just waiting to find out if that's intended or not. In the meantime do not store a smc inside a lmc