Sign in to follow this  
OneShotPaddy

Seasons

Does anyone know a good way to change the length of seasons? I'm running a Nordic server soon and would love to ensure that it's cold and snowy maybe 6-8 months of the year. 

As a side note, I'm assuming this will affect crops?  Are there crops that grow in the cold?

In an unmodded game, crops are unaffected by the season and grow the same winter or summer.

However there is a mod that might suit your Nordic server, that introduces temperature survival.  You can die in winter if you do not keep warm, either indiors near a fire or outdoors with a campfire. With this mod,  crops won;t grow in winter; it also introduces warm woolen clothing and various temperature related changes.

If you have not already chosen a map, CountZero has one in this thread  that might suit a Nordic theme -- however if people dig very much in the "snow," it turns to regular dirt and won;t revert back to snow:

map.png

I cannot recall offhand whether you need a mod to have an extended winter season. Maybe someone else has ideas for that. I will say that the severity of the Survival Mod (freezing temperatiure etc) make even a short winter have a very profound impact, and the map above would give a wintery look year round (except for the green areas to the south). 

Joedobo has a clientside mod that lets you affect the graphical display of seasons, which is not quite what you are looking for I think. It only affects textures and only on the users own monitor, not serverwide:

BDew has a serverside mod that removes all winter graphics and replaces with fall/spring textures. While that is obviously NOT what you want, it might be possible to tinker with it to have a "reverse" type mod that   removes summer and has only winter, spring and fall colors. These only affect textures however; with the survival mod you would still have a "short winter" temperature wise even if textures made it look wintery year round.

Someone else may have other ideas & suggestions.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

if you really wanted you could easily make it winter all year round.

In server > wurmcalender

Spoiler

public static int getSeasonNumber()
  {
    int season = 0;
    if (isWinter())
      season = 4;
    if (isSpring())
      season = 0;
    if (isSummer())
      season = 2;
    if (isAutumn())
      season = 3;
    return season;
  }

Hook into that little puppy and make it always return 4.

If you want to have all 4 seasons still but change the amount of time of each then it gets way more complicated.

--=== edit ===--

Hmm on closer inspection that method seems to only be used in fishing, sigh.

They really did make seasons complicated  haha

Edited by Cuddles

Thank you both, I will look into the survival mod as it seems to be close to what I need. If anyone has any further suggestions for mods, in general, that I should put on a viking-themed hardcore PVP/economics server, please let me know!