Sign in to follow this  
Enrik

Forests and tree types

I'm just getting into map creation and in general my height maps are getting better with time. What I am focusing on now is biome placement, particularly the various trees available. This may be a philosophical debate but is it better to have large groves of the same tree type, like actual forests, or have multiple tree types in a single grove. The second approach could be better for game play so players dont need to hunt as much for a specific tree types. Some people might like the hunt as well. I would like to hear everyone's take on this.

Edited by Enrik
Grammer, typed on a phone during a morning meeting.

Not sure how most people feel, but part of what I find fun about this game is the exploring. Having things spread out forces people to explore to find things. On my map I put different trees and even different ores on different islands so I had to make a boat and go sailing the open waters.

If you have "mixed forests" then all forests quickly look the same, and things get boring fast.

Areas with a certain type of tree, have a unique feel. Pine and birch feel much more open and "airy" than Olive and Chestnut groves which tend to be dark and even a little foreboding, Oaks and willows are massive trees but also have larger open areas between trees.  Maple have a spectacular look in the fall, and cherry trees look amazing in the spring.  You really feel like you are passing through "new" areas unlike the "mixed forest" where every area looks like any other area.  My one pet peeve is servers with too many thorn trees, and I would probably suggest reserving those for only tiny areas.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I would agree with Brash_Endeavours.  Having monocultures in real life is now not encouraged by forestry organisations as they reduce the bio-diversity, however, I feel that in Wurm it is different.

Having stands of one particular tree in an area helps give the place a sense of identity and can even be used to locate yourself within the landscape. In the early days of a server, the variation in location 'encourages' the population to travel around more in order to find the fruit, the acorns, pine nuts and so on that they may feel they need. It can also encourage fledgling trade between players located in different biomes.

As someone who has met their end in thorn forests more than once on the WU server I also play on, I would totally agree with keeping the thorn trees under control- unless of course you wish to make life more difficult for your player-base.