Gawain

Favourite Impalong?

Recommended Posts

Hey all! 

 

So this is a interesting thing I’ve thought of! What has been your favourite impalong (year), location, and why :) 

 

(will post mine later) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last one at Shrimps place, where I had a 1v1 encounter against @Enki, won and got a juicy reward for it.

It was so much fun, and a nice event overall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay my favourite has to be when Battlepants hosted it at his deed on Deliverance (it was also my first impalong). I remember jumping off the lighthouse jump and wishing I hadn’t cause I completely missed the water ? Needless to say it was a long walk back to his deed. It also was my first experience with how laggy an impalong a could be. Has me looking forward to this years! Where ever it may be hosted :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got 3 impalongs for 3 different reasons. They also took place in the order I'll post them

1) Kalambaka impalong: Was the first impalong I ever attended. The main reason I still remember that one, is because of how players behaved when a (very new) player told he'd like to help imping, but barely had skill.
I got told that it won't matter what my skill was; as long as I'm able to do a bit, I'll gain skill and it'll make imping to higher ql easier for those who did have the skill.

 

2) Whitefall impalong: First impalong where I managed to imp some piece of chain armour over 70ql, eventhough my skill wasn't there yet.

 

3) The first Shrimpalong: Because it was the first impalong where one of my alts managed to get 70 LW; where my main happened to be one of the few armed and armoured characters when for some reason Enki's zombie's decided to take a run and attacked the first floor impers and because it was the impalong where my priest had joined a wonderful sermon group. I think that group was half made of priests of two friends of mine, and Cecci's army of mermaids. :D

 

 

Thorin :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2015 Wilburh's Folly Christmas Impalong, was hosted by myself and Williamwierd (maybe slightly bias) but this one was pretty epic with the prizes, creature spawns and turn out and Enki killed a lot of people!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Willow's events over at (old) Festival Cove. My favorite might have been the last one that she held in the 2012-2014 era. It was my first time dueling with people outside of my village and I was victorious (probably thanks to some real shiny head cover loaned to me by@Xallo). Rolf also showed up for a bit and lit up a festival beacon.

Aside from Willow's events, I really enjoyed myself at@McGarnicle's event over on Deli. It seemed like everyone showed up for that one... which was great. @Aerisand I kept cruising back and forth in a large cart through the southeastern Deli desert between my deed and the event location and I remember one time a hellhound chased us the entire trip... like 1000 tiles. The one downside that I remember to that event was that the deed was so built up that it was quite laggy. 

I haven't been to many in the recent past. I think my last one that I attended was when MR (think it was @Nadroj, but could have been @Emoo) held one over on Exo. The deed was super impressive and everything seemed to be running super smoothly. Unfortunately, at that period, I was playing on a really crappy laptop and had to leave the event early because my rig was melting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damned if I can remember exactly, but I enjoyed one hosted on release for christmas a few years back.

Really nice environment; lots of folks, fresh new faces.

 

I used to rely on impalongs when I was more active since I couldn't re-imp my old tools XD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the shrimpalongs :)

Because I get to pester shrimpiie the whole time :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, As_I_Decay said:

@Willow's events over at (old) Festival Cove. My favorite might have been the last one that she held in the 2012-2014 era. It was my first time dueling with people outside of my village and I was victorious (probably thanks to some real shiny head cover loaned to me by@Xallo). Rolf also showed up for a bit and lit up a festival beacon.

Aside from Willow's events, I really enjoyed myself at@McGarnicle's event over on Deli. It seemed like everyone showed up for that one... which was great. @Aerisand I kept cruising back and forth in a large cart through the southeastern Deli desert between my deed and the event location and I remember one time a hellhound chased us the entire trip... like 1000 tiles. The one downside that I remember to that event was that the deed was so built up that it was quite laggy. 

I haven't been to many in the recent past. I think my last one that I attended was when MR (think it was @Nadroj, but could have been @Emoo) held one over on Exo. The deed was super impressive and everything seemed to be running super smoothly. Unfortunately, at that period, I was playing on a really crappy laptop and had to leave the event early because my rig was melting. 

McGarns events were cool :) Wish @Willow could hold another Impalong heh 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been to one, dunno why, I guess just other things to do.

 

I'd like to see one on Celebration since we haven't had one... in years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nomadikhan said:

Never been to one, dunno why, I guess just other things to do.

 

I'd like to see one on Celebration since we haven't had one... in years.

Would be cool! Wish Deli could get another one. Only think there has been the one at Bp's place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willow's final Christmas Impalong in December 2012, would by far be my favorite. It was the first one I'd ever attended, and as still fairly new to the game it was a truly magical event, and what kicked off my personal love for Impalongs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm my favourite impalong?...

 

For me, now, my favourite would have to be any that I don't run myself ;)  I can enjoy the banter, cause a little mischief and even get some of my own tools imped without feeling guilty of taking others time up. 

 

Yes the impalongs are quite different these days to my own,  the perms.. buildings (multi story) were all things we couldnt even imagine having back then. But the one thing that I will always carry in my heart from the times I did host them,  and being a guest at the ones in recent years is the fantastic community we have here. The hosts work tirelessly all year preparing for the event, gathering materials, building areas for the workers..they give up so much time for the feeling of helping others. I fully appreciate what it takes to commit to hosting and I applaud all of you that step up and welcome everyone through your doors. From the day the community arrive on that first morning, excitement and anticipation of the fun days ahead to the sad farewells on the very last day.. makes it all worthwhile. 

 

I have met some amazing people during my time hosting Impalongs and made some wonderful memories along the way. May the history of Impalongs continue for many years to come and I wish every single person who takes the job on, the best of times and enjoy them all!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say the first one at Festival cove that i attended .. all feeling out of place and nervous about being  a not terribly high skilled blacksmith.

 

that was when u had actual players who needed their gear imped to what seemed at the time to be very high levels.

 

I particularly enjoyed seeing well known players whose names i had heard but had never met running about all over the place.  Wow! :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So difficult to single out just one as a favourite...  But, there is always something special about that first impalong visited, so it will have to be the Pristine Impalong at Blossom (Nov/Dec 2013, was it really that long ago), from the days when Pristine/Release was a separate cluster.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wurm has always been a pure sandbox, and Impalongs have always been the pinnacle of player-generated creations.  The most recent one at Friendship Bay that @VirusMDhosted was particularly memorable for me for several reasons.

1) GMs popping in to create a ruckus in the arena with absurd mobs.  Every evening felt like what I'd always imagined an Enkounter might be like.

2) The entirely ridiculous and silly fish slap fights that @Goldfinch officiated.

3) Inventing for the first time the insanity that was Human Lawn Darts.

4) Getting a chance to steal the heart of @Amathand return it to Meerhaven for experimentation

 

Every Impalong is a chance to make new friends, contribute to a larger group effort, and leave our deeds to see the wider world for a bit.  They require an immense amount of preparation and planning and I am grateful for each and every one of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had a blast hosting the one at my deed on exo, was amazing fun seeing all the efforts of my alliance come together and go so well. Plus from a personal perspective i really enjoyed another excuse to show off my deed. I hadn't attended an impalong since the days of MRH and JKH until hosting one myself so it was a hell of a learning experience.  I wanted to make it a yearly event but i've just not had the time to arrange another been so busy irl. Someday maybe...

Edited by Nadroj
I can spell, honest
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, As_I_Decay said:

I haven't been to many in the recent past. I think my last one that I attended was when MR (think it was @Nadroj, but could have been @Emoo) held one over on Exo. The deed was super impressive and everything seemed to be running super smoothly. Unfortunately, at that period, I was playing on a really crappy laptop and had to leave the event early because my rig was melting. 

 

Is that the same one I went to with you?  The one where you got changed into a knife or spoon and were practically invisible?  lol.  If so yeah that was a lot of fun.  I especially enjoyed watching the gladiatorial fight matches. (I forget what they called them at the time)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Amadee said:

 

Is that the same one I went to with you?  The one where you got changed into a knife or spoon and were practically invisible?  lol.  If so yeah that was a lot of fun.  I especially enjoyed watching the gladiatorial fight matches. (I forget what they called them at the time)

Yes!!! I was a spoon! :D

I forgot about the gladiator event!! As soon as you mentioned it, it all came rushing back into my head... that was probably the most strenuous part of the impalong for me. I remember I was up to fight and it took me literally 5 minutes to log back in and load up the world. Then the computer would behave for about 2 1/2 minutes until it'd go non responsive and i'd have to use the task manager to close down the app via processes.

Didn't much matter, though. I didn't make it far in the tournament. :P  Niki was the only one who fell victim to me.

I also forgot to mention the other "impalong" that you and I attended together. That was fun too. It was over at Aly and Xallo's place on Indy... it was either a halloween or easter event. I think halloween...

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, As_I_Decay said:

Yes!!! I was a spoon! :D

I forgot about the gladiator event!! As soon as you mentioned it, it all came rushing back into my head... that was probably the most strenuous part of the impalong for me. I remember I was up to fight and it took me literally 5 minutes to log back in and load up the world. Then the computer would behave for about 2 1/2 minutes until it'd go non responsive and i'd have to use the task manager to close down the app via processes.

Didn't much matter, though. I didn't make it far in the tournament. :P  Niki was the only one who fell victim to me.

I also forgot to mention the other "impalong" that you and I attended together. That was fun too. It was over at Aly and Xallo's place on Indy... it was either a halloween or easter event. I think halloween...

 

The gladiator fights were pretty damn entertaining, it was meant to be a temporary building for the impalong but i couldn't bring myself to get rid of the arena xD. Though the last couple 1v1 fights got real silly, people taking 10+ minutes to lose basically no health. Enki and co spawning in huge waves of enemies in there was hilarious crazy fun though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.