Sign in to follow this  
Sklo:D

Quality of Life Improvements - Make Wurm a more enjoyable game

QoL Improvements

Wurm is a great game but there have been so many things which have been bothering my players or even myself for a long time. Some of these changes are really needed for at least 11 years and most of them are super simple to implement. 

• Deed disband warning on login if one of your alts has a deed and is running low on upkeep.
  • When a fireplace of any kind (oven, forge, campfire,...) is going low on fuel, a warning will be displayed.
  • The help command to call guards should work in all chats and broadcast to local chat automatically.
  • Make items always death protected on PVE servers for at least the first 24 hours of ingame time.
  • Let us equip and unequip horse gear when leading a horse.
  • Make the regeneration of stamina possible on vehicles on any slope at least on PVE.
  • Add a teleport home action which lets new players teleport to all their spawn locations in the first 24 hours. (With a cooldown ofc)
  • Broadcast rough location (eg. in the NW) for abandoned deeds when they are disbanded by upkeep. Looting is fun and could be a nice scavenger hunt thing.
  • Make catseyes easier to create or let us create more than one per creation action. The highway system is still not spread over the whole networks.
  • Make deed info a more readable font for certain sections. Ever tried to read a mayor name without copy paste?
  • Add a support ticket alert for staff members and in the MGMT chat to decrease the answer times.
  • Add an alert for players when their support ticket is updated has been added.
  • The command /alts could show your own alts on the IP and or Email including the last login date. (Cross server support)
  • Backpacks should fit into ovens again.
  • Mailing should be made free in every case.
  • Add bulk sorting like we have it on Wurm Unlimited. It makes life so much easier.
  • Add a new player broadcast to welcome new players.
  • There should be an alert for new questions in CA Help for staff players.
  • The quality of beds should matter for sleep bonus, at 100QL the bed will grant 50% more sleep bonus.
  • The rarity of beds should matter for sleep bonus, each rarity step adds 10% bonus.
  • Like 8

Nice points, very!

I just disagree with the following for practical, lolworthy and economical reasons:

• Backpacks should fit into ovens again. (ovens are mostly for food, and if shortcuts for containers are needed, something else is wrong in the mechanics that need to tend to it instead of weird crap like putting a body accessory into a cooking appliance)
  •  Mailing should be made free in every case. (mailing isn't free anywhere, and shouldnt be, because someone or something needs to do it. Perhaps rather have some sort of seal,stamp or voucher that allows for cheap or bidrectional free posting).

Like I said, the rest of the stuff makes logical sense, +1 on it!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:
  • Make items always death protected on PVE servers for at least the first 24 hours of ingame time.
  • Make the regeneration of stamina possible on vehicles on any slope at least on PVE.
  • Make deed info a more readable font for certain sections. Ever tried to read a mayor name without copy paste?
  • Add a support ticket alert for staff members and in the MGMT chat to decrease the answer times.

These are the suggestions that I support.

The biggest no-no's are the ones regarding beds and sleep bonus. We already get easier sleep bonus from missions, sleep bonus lasts 50% longer since cooking update, and we have tradeable sleep powders.

Enough is enough.

• Like 2

I want to put my plantain on the anvil and say:

- Make traders configurable, so that those who want to run traders (who are actually traders...) can set which items/ql's to buy [thus relieving the abusive lock up and spam for silver issue). Then traders can become traders and not like north korean ATM's

48 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Every newcomers PM tabs at once: " H̳̩͖̝͈́̂ͨ̍ͅe̢̗̹͋ͯ͆̓ͯ͐ͦ̋͡y̨̡͈̻̹̑̎ͩ̈͑,ͬ̄̔̚҉͠͏͈̙̦ ̷̬͚͖͛̀͡w̖͙͓̗̝͚ͯ̃ͭ͞a̧̳̲͙̩̣̐̃͒̋̉ͩ̄͠ņ̡̱̰̀͊̅͌̒̅͛ͧͥn̴̒͂ͦ̍̓҉̠̱̫̬̻a̶͓̦̭̘̗̳ͦ̑̓ͨͥ̈́ͬ̀͡ ͉̖̘̞̓ͦ̀̂̉͡͠j̴̯̫̰̬̗̥̬ͪ̉̾̒̽ő͉ͣ̊͆͠ǐ̤̹͓͎̌̋ͬ̏ͬ̒̚n̫͉̤ͧ̾ͣ͝ ̝̿ͯ̚͟͝m̠̹͐̊y͆͏̟̖̫̣̤ ̞̫̥̜̰͐̋̑͌̔͛d̪͇̹̪̰ͯ̓̏͆ͫ́ȅ̷̦͂e̵̡̼͔ͩͪͧ̄͝ḑ̸̠̖͂̇̔ͫ̿̔?͈̺̝̗̻ͪ͊̋ͩ͡ͅͅ!͉̬̓̒ͥ̂̅̆ "

Way to put blood in the water. If someone wants to be known they can engange with the chat on their own terms.

Indifferent or supportive of the rest, except for the sleep bonus, but I'm not sure my approach to making quality and rarity matter on beds is any less controversial. The effect should definitely be less pronounced than 50% in WO though.

• Like 1

QoL would be also fixing a bug that has been there for ages. HH occasionally disappearing inside a minewall when ran into a wall.. only a relog will fix it.

+1 to your suggestions tho, seems reasonable

Gonna answer then invididually as I like some and don't like some.

Deed disband warning on login if one of your alts has a deed and is running low on upkeep. (I dislike the use of alts in general but I can see the qol, +1)

When a fireplace of any kind (oven, forge, campfire,...) is going low on fuel, a warning will be displayed. (I like it but at a certain firemaking skill, +1)

The help command to call guards should work in all chats and broadcast to local chat automatically. (Sure why not +)

Make items always death protected on PVE servers for at least the first 24 hours of ingame time. (I think it's important to state the rules of the game early on, -1)

Let us equip and unequip horse gear when leading a horse.( As long as it's not while riding , sure +1 )

Make the regeneration of stamina possible on vehicles on any slope at least on PVE. (Makes little sense to me personally , -1 )

Add a teleport home action which lets new players teleport to all their spawn locations in the first 24 hours. (With a cooldown ofc) (No, we don't need a lot of teleports in this game, new folks get one to their deed already -1 )

Broadcast rough location (eg. in the NW) for abandoned deeds when they are disbanded by upkeep. Looting is fun and could be a nice scavenger hunt thing. (No, you can scout these out no need to make it a rush for people -1)

Make catseyes easier to create or let us create more than one per creation action. The highway system is still not spread over the whole networks. (It's very easy as it is now, -1)

Make deed info a more readable font for certain sections. Ever tried to read a mayor name without copy paste? (UI improvement on it's way, no need for this even though I agree -1 )

Add a support ticket alert for staff members and in the MGMT chat to decrease the answer times. (If toggeable sure, good suggestion +1)

Add an alert for players when their support ticket is updated has been added. ( There is one, but it ain't sound based which it could be +1)

The command /alts could show your own alts on the IP and or Email including the last login date. (Cross server support) (Dislike the use of alts and can't see a reason for this -1)

Backpacks should fit into ovens again. (Yes, but they should also burn up +1)

Mailing should be made free in every case. (Should be made more expensive if anything -1)

Add bulk sorting like we have it on Wurm Unlimited. It makes life so much easier. (Never tried so I'll remain neatural.)

Add a new player broadcast to welcome new players. (No, you don't want a lot of spam to be the first thing to happen you)

There should be an alert for new questions in CA Help for staff players.(Toggable, sure but it should trigger on the "?" which will never be that accurate)

The quality of beds should matter for sleep bonus, at 100QL the bed will grant 50% more sleep bonus. (No -1, it works fine as is now)

The rarity of beds should matter for sleep bonus, each rarity step adds 10% bonus. (No -1 , works fine as is)

• Like 1

Just one point:

The command /alts could show your own alts on the IP and or Email including the last login date. (Cross server support)

While I see some sense in that, I do not support it in the current situation of player -> played accounts relationship. The connection between email and accounts is dated and fairly useless, especially the limitation of accounts on one email. The connection between IP and account is even less reliable as IP may dynamically change between logins, so if, e.g. an "alt" relogs on a different resource like mobile or Wifi AP vs. DSL/cable (I frequently have several boxes on different internet access), the connection between "alt" and "main" would be broken, even false connections (different players on same AP or VPN) may occur. So that command might be a can of worms or bugs.

The whole player (natural person behind accounts) vs. played accounts relationship should be rethought, and the limitation per email abandoned. In fact, the "main" and "alt" terms imply a master-slave relationship which may and often will, but need not exist. For example, when I started my priest account, the priest became the "main" for weeks, my primary character only a supportive role. Similar might happen when I create a specialized PvP account etc. 

I would support if all accounts played by one person would have to be declared in the profile of an account (starting by the recently played one, to be confirmed by the "alt" account on login), at least for all premium accounts (maybe basic accounts too). It would have to be updated on account transfer/sale. But that is going bit too far in this discussion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

QoL Improvements

Wurm is a great game but there have been so many things which have been bothering my players or even myself for a long time. Some of these changes are really needed for at least 11 years and most of them are super simple to implement. 

• Broadcast rough location (eg. in the NW) for abandoned deeds when they are disbanded by upkeep. Looting is fun and could be a nice scavenger hunt thing.

-1 on the basis of this alone.

• Like 1

Advanced issues found

QoL Improvements

Wurm is a great game but there have been so many things which have been bothering my players or even myself for a long time. Some of these changes are really needed for at least 11 years and most of them are super simple to implement. Which changes do you like best? Comment below and give feedback. Or start testing the changes on Skltopolis right now.

• Deed disband warning on login if one of your alts has a deed and is running low on upkeep. (Rather just allow multiple deeda per character)
  • When a fireplace of any kind (oven, forge, campfire,...) is going low on fuel, a warning will be displayed. (That would be nice, more detailed info about how fueled fire source, maybe tied to firemaking skill would be great)
  • The help command to call guards should work in all chats and broadcast to local chat automatically.(Sure, why not. A button on quick bar would be even better though so it's easy accessibile to nee players who don't know for command)
  • Make items always death protected on PVE servers for at least the first 24 hours of ingame time. (Not sure if there is really need for this, might even be abused in pvp for risk free try to passage with valuable items if we stretch it enough)
  • Let us equip and unequip horse gear when leading a horse. (Yeah sure, but what annoys me most is having branded horse cross server and then i have to tame it to put gear, not to mention that geared horses can't go to cage, zero reason for that, and real hastle because of it)
  • Make the regeneration of stamina possible on vehicles on any slope at least on PVE. (This actually annoys me alot, so huge +1)
  • Add a teleport home action which lets new players teleport to all their spawn locations in the first 24 hours. (With a cooldown ofc)  (Not really sure if there is need for this )
  • Broadcast rough location (eg. in the NW) for abandoned deeds when they are disbanded by upkeep. Looting is fun and could be a nice scavenger hunt thing. ( Oh boy, absolutely not! In fact i would even remove every global mesaage of it). People who roam should be rewarded with looting, not vultures who follow feeds. Scavenging is fun but not  fun at all when you have to camp it with 20 more people who instantly showed up. )
  • Make catseyes easier to create or let us create more than one per creation action. The highway system is still not spread over the whole networks. (Can't see anything wrong with it, good as it is)
  • Make deed info a more readable font for certain sections. Ever tried to read a mayor name without copy paste? (Not sure to what you're refering so neutral whaever)
  • Add a support ticket alert for staff members and in the MGMT chat to decrease the answer times.(Have no idea, i guess)
  • Add an alert for players when their support ticket is updated has been added. (Dont really see much need but sure i guess)
  • The command /alts could show your own alts on the IP and or Email including the last login date. (Cross server support) (Not conviced, somebody already answered this and i'm too more into better account management syatem, mail restrictions are silly)
  • Backpacks should fit into ovens again.(seeing that backpacks fit forges can't say no to that..)
  • Mailing should be made free in every case.(not really i think it's pretty good like this, although mailing liquids and heavy items is for debate, shouldn't be more expensive for sure)
  • Add bulk sorting like we have it on Wurm Unlimited. It makes life so much easier.(Haven't seen it, but it looks like immersion breaker, i will leave benefit of doubt to it)
  • Add a new player broadcast to welcome new players.(Sure, why not)
  • There should be an alert for new questions in CA Help for staff players.(Ok, i guess)
  • The quality of beds should matter for sleep bonus, at 100QL the bed will grant 50% more sleep bonus.
  • The rarity of beds should matter for sleep bonus, each rarity step adds 10% bonus.(I think that ql and rariry should matter everything so yeah i agree with both)

Answered every single one. Sorry but your solutions more cure symptoms rather than causes. Rather patch then realy fix cause of problem...

Edited by shakys
Moderation Edit

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but I would like to see the "place" menu command put a long long way from the "improve" menu commands. Drives me nuts.

Edited by Mowglia
Had difficulty spelling "menu".
  • Like 1

I love the title, Quality of Life Improvements - Make Wurm a more enjoyable game. 

I like these points:

When a fireplace of any kind (oven, forge, campfire,...) is going low on fuel, a warning will be displayed.

Make the regeneration of stamina possible on vehicles on any slope at least on PVE

We could come up with a list as long as the China wall for qol improvements for pve. The pve and pvp code should be totally separated and severs cut then maybe we can have nice things. 

Honestly; these are not just "ideas randomly spouted"; they're from someone who has run a popular long time server and listened to their player base.

+1 on that basis alone

• Like 1

I'm going to give the two obligitory posts for a thread like this

"Muh markets"

"Not in our scope of work right now"

Oh can we also get the god damn PREMIUM REWARDS not bound to clusters? And a global mail system?

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 2

QoL Improvements

• Deed disband warning on login if one of your alts has a deed and is running low on upkeep.
  • Hard to define an alt, one that is same email? In that case that is a yes.
  • When a fireplace of any kind (oven, forge, campfire,...) is going low on fuel, a warning will be displayed.
  • Don't wish to be spammed, especially at say an Impalong, with low fuel warnings; instead it would be best to have visual changes such as fading light/flames.
  • The help command to call guards should work in all chats and broadcast to local chat automatically.
  • No please; I don't need to be explaining to someone in either CA Help or a server/global chat what the commands are for guards, and have it also broadcast to local, that would be irritating.
  • I see that as beneficial for new players for sure, but would need a message popup similar to the theft warning after their 24 hours up that explains their items will drop from now on, so it is less confusing for players who think it is permanently this way and suddenly lose their items on their next death because they hit the 24 hour mark.
  • Yes.
  • Yes please, there is no reason why I should be out of stamina on PvE while on a vehicle or animal; just have no stamina loss instead while on those.
  • Add a teleport home action which lets new players teleport to all their spawn locations in the first 24 hours. (With a cooldown ofc)
  • No.
  • Would prefer if the mystery is sort of kept by the requirement to consult community maps, community knowledge, or just flat out looking. Looting is nice sure, but part of the fun is trying to even track down where the deed that fell was, even more so when you happen to randomly stumble across an ancient deed that hasn't been looted yet because it wasn't found.
  • Make catseyes easier to create or let us create more than one per creation action. The highway system is still not spread over the whole networks.
  • I think it is something that just happens over time, no reason to make them easier just to get highways out there faster.
  • YES!
  • Answer times is not a matter of an alert for staff members, as most if not all staff already always have the support tab up and it also flashes when anyone logs in or out or a ticket is updated.
  • It should pop the support tab open or flash it if it's already open, when an open support ticket has something added to it already no?
  • The command /alts could show your own alts on the IP and or Email including the last login date. (Cross server support)
  • IP wouldn't work well as it would likely show you all the accounts you've ever logged into, would get unnecessary and complex; better to just show the accounts currently using the email that the account that did the /alts command is on.
  • Make backpacks great again!
  • Already cheap as heck, 1c per item or per 5kg; is just a tad odd to have no penalty for near instant mailing to anywhere on a cluster.
  • Add bulk sorting like we have it on Wurm Unlimited. It makes life so much easier.
  • Yes.
  • That is neat, but I really don't wish to have a message broadcast for every single alt generally made.
  • Staff already see CA Help, know when a question is presented and the like; they do not need an alert, nor is it a requirement in any way that they respond to every question. It is highly encouraged that non-staff answer questions as well in fact, hence the name of the channel is "community assistance."
  • Agreed, though the % added could be tweaked.
  • The rarity of beds should matter for sleep bonus, each rarity step adds 10% bonus.
  • As above, the % could be tweaked.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

I assume you mean while "riding" a horse.  If so, -1.

-1 for 40 slopes, but +1 for walkable slopes  (like diagonal tiles that you don't slide on but still cannot gain stamina while riding a horse).

-1 because spy alts (on both freedom and PvP)

-1.  Put some effort into it and step off your deed once in awhile.  If you explored more, you would know where these deeds are.

-1. The drop rate of eyes has been increased, priests can now continue unifinished items, and it really isn't hard to get the 50 paving skill required to create 10 ql catseyes (even on a priest now).

Try increasing your ingame font sizes.  (On a sidenote, I would love to see some kind of guide posted about which settings affect which fonts in the game).

I've never been kept waiting longer than an hour (and that includes ARCH tickets) for any support ticket I've ever filed.  I think the response times are just fine, considering they don't get paid for it.

You mean like the alert you get when the CA/CM/GM sends a message?  We already have that.

Changing your password via the website tells you what account names had their passwords changed.  

Due to the over-sophistication of cooking, I think we need a new, larger cooker.  I use every bit of space in my oven when I am making meals because I'm using cauldrons, sauce pans, frying pans and baking stones simultaneously.

Cool, so I can mail 20,000 garlic to my deed on another server for free?  Yeah.... not going to happen.

So does using multiple BSB's/BCU's.

I don't think so, Tim.

There is, when the chat window flashes because someone said something.

-1.  For smart players, sleep bonus is no longer an issue.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 5:11 AM, Sklo:D said:

yQoL Improvements

• Deed disband warning on login if one of your alts has a deed and is running low on upkeep.  first need something to control all the accounts under the same mail or use mail warnings
  • When a fireplace of any kind (oven, forge, campfire,...) is going low on fuel, a warning will be displayed. only if can be turned off
  • The help command to call guards should work in all chats and broadcast to local chat automatically.  this no, maybe something like /guards
  • Make items always death protected on PVE servers for at least the first 24 hours of ingame time.  good idea
  • Let us equip and unequip horse gear when leading a horse.  yes, please
  • Make the regeneration of stamina possible on vehicles on any slope at least on PVE.  this is useful
  • Add a teleport home action which lets new players teleport to all their spawn locations in the first 24 hours. (With a cooldown ofc)  whats the point of cooldown in the first 24hs?
  • Broadcast rough location (eg. in the NW) for abandoned deeds when they are disbanded by upkeep. Looting is fun and could be a nice scavenger hunt thing. no, this is bad idea
  • Make catseyes easier to create or let us create more than one per creation action. The highway system is still not spread over the whole networks.  why? for nails for example is useful, but catseyes no.
  • Make deed info a more readable font for certain sections. Ever tried to read a mayor name without copy paste?  yes, specialy on map
  • The command /alts could show your own alts on the IP and or Email including the last login date. (Cross server support)  only if ban account sharing
  • Backpacks should fit into ovens again.  why not?
  • Mailing should be made free in every case.  except cross server
  • Add a new player broadcast to welcome new players.  that could be annoying for both parts, but not a bad idea
  • The quality of beds should matter for sleep bonus, at 100QL the bed will grant 50% more sleep bonus.  people would cry, but only if 1ql is the same as actual
  • The rarity of beds should matter for sleep bonus, each rarity step adds 10% bonus.  please no

Make items always death protected on PVE servers for at least the first 24 hours of ingame time.

Newbie gear is already protected, and protecting more than that raises some problems, as it would make it extremely easy to use new alts to "teleport" items arbitrary distances across the server via /suicide and respawning.

Broadcast rough location (eg. in the NW) for abandoned deeds when they are disbanded by upkeep. Looting is fun and could be a nice scavenger hunt thing.

Scavenging abandoned stuff is fun, and I do it myself, but it's far better for friends and alliance members to at least have a chance to protect the goods before it gets swarmed by looters. Sometimes deeds disband by accident, after all.

Plus, I see this creating a lot more situations with many people swarming the same abandoned deed, fighting over loot, building donut houses around things, and so on. It creates a lot of drama when that happens, and we don't need more of it.

Make catseyes easier to create or let us create more than one per creation action. The highway system is still not spread over the whole networks.

Highways are long-term constructions protected by game mechanics; making them should take a significant amount of effort. Even with that amount of effort, my alliance members and I haven't had any issues, so I honestly don't think this is a real problem.

The quality of beds should matter for sleep bonus, at 100QL the bed will grant 50% more sleep bonus.

The rarity of beds should matter for sleep bonus, each rarity step adds 10% bonus.

This is a significant change to the balance of a game mechanic, not a "QoL improvement". That said, I don't really like it. I think Wurm Online is often too much of a "rich man's game" already, and I see sleep bonus as a way to compensate for a person being unable to play for many hours per day, as opposed to yet another bonus from being able to afford high quality, rare, or enchanted items. Yeah, I know sleep powder already exists, but honestly? I don't like sleep powder either.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 1:11 AM, Sklo:D said:

For this can it would be nice to have to call a webhook on deed alerts, so you can just have to spam discord or other similar things