Sign in to follow this  
CountZero

Map 115. 4096x

This one has some lengthy explanation so made a separate thread.

So the general idea on this one was to have region specific resources rather than just randomly spread. I (In my head) split the map into three climate zones with a view to putting in biomes and ore according to the climate you'd expect them on earth. I very quickly realized the limitations of Wurm and so while I did try to keep faithful to logic regarding where you'd expect to find certain things - there was a fair amount of artistic license used.

The three zones from north to south are Cold, Temperate, Hot. (I tried to think of polar, equatorial etc but realized being that specific wasn't going to work).

In the north I have tried to make a frozen tundra kinda feel. You will also find an abundance of tar at the top - in the wastelands. There is a large marsh/swamp area in the middle of the cold climate zone, complete with moss and peat.

maplines.png

The lines are just a rough guide, not a hard border for biomes. Below is how trees are divided; (note, you will find far less trees in general in the hot climate)

Cold climate

Birch

Pine

Cedar

fir

oak

hazlenut

maple (nearer south)

Temperate climate

apple tree

willow

oak

walnut

maple (nearer north)

hazlenut

grape

cherry (nearer south i think)

Hot climate

lemon tree

orange tree

olive tree

grape

cherry

All over

Linden

raspberry

blueberry

lingonberry

camellia

rose

lavender ? (might be more south than north)

Now, I have created a standard Ore version and a special version. In the special version I have also distributed the ore resources regionally however there is an issue where Wurm likes to randomly spawn sandstone and rocksalt in game which kinda puts a wrench in this idea (as you will see below). Luckily Cuddles has kindly created a mod to fix this here

If you want to use the special ores map I highly advise installing this mod first.

Special version.

Iron is at a standard 2% all across the map. All other ores can be found all over the map BUT they are extremely rare outside of their region. Some material types have more areas than others. Areas are irregular sizes and shapes.

In the cold climate slate is very common - 2 %

In the hot climate sandstone is very common - 2 %

All the other ore materials are more or less non-existent in all areas of the map EXCEPT for patches here and there where they are very common 2%. I have tried to make the patches logical according to where you'd expect to find them IRL but again, a very large amount fo artistic license was required.

Cold

tin

lead

silver

Temperate

marble

Hot

copper

silver

zinc

Gold doesn't really follow climate zones, more mountains.

The exact locations of the ore can be given to anyone who asks, the reason I don't just post a map is that the point of this map is to be exploration and discovery.

Standard Ore - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YZ0J0ub2hpTgkNeEph9RWR1IJnqEH51L

Special Ore - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jw4zjdgaeIbtfMxJa8c-ecmIQ-63ibDk

Edited by CountZero
  • Like 4

Love the concept. Nice work.

One thing I thought of, pretty random:

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Grape_bush

For grape bushes, when grape season comes around, the type of grape you harvest from the bush depends on whether you're in the north or south half of the map. If grape bushes are mostly confined to the south then green grapes would be hard to find if not cease to exist.

Edited by Ignacius

ah indeed.

I have edited the standard Ore map and spawned an extra 100 bushes randomly over the map (no idea where they went :P). Push comes to shove someone can always get the grapes wherever they are and plant them in the north/south.

I havnt updated the special Ore map as its been a long time since Iv done any of this and I'm not sure where the actual data is stored - for example is both Ore and biome info in the resources.map? if so then updating just the biomes will be tricky.

• Like 1

I tried out this map. I REALLY liked the biomes concept, and having different trees and fruits etc in the north, central & south, along with the choice of regional ores. However (if you do not mind a small critique from someone who is a major fan of yours) ...  it's frankly a little thin on trees for me and I think that would hurt it a little in a multiplayer setting.  I love big wide open meadows interchanged with thick forests, but this is more like 95% treeless interspaced with some small groves of trees and then about three moderate sized forests towards the middle of the map.  I'd like to see a couple of really bigass cedar / pine / fir forests in the north.  Where I come from, the north MEANS big huge forests covering most of the landscape, except maybe way up in the farthest extreme artic areas.  I can fix this myself probably for a singleplayer game, but if this was a multiplayer game, I would think everyone would have a lot of those smaller woods completely deforested in a very short amount of time, simply because there is no other way to get a lot of wood except running over to the nearest small grove and mowing most of them them down. However, it also might be true that fewer trees gives a performance boost for those on older systems, and not everyone is a fan of dense forests.

Also something else on your maps -- I wish more people knew about these! Keenan said at one time they were planning to include more choices of base maps bundled in with WU, but I guess that is off the table forever now. I wish there was a way to promote these maps more, plus educate people on how to use them. Every now and then I feel like playing a new "fresh" public server and go puttering through the "new releases" on that WU server voting site to look at the newest entries, however 90% of the new ones are all using  "Ocrea",  I now automatically disqualify any new server using Ocrea from consideration. It was never a very great map anyway.

I am thinking probably that most people starting up a new server are intimidated by how easy it can be to use a custom map. It must be frustrating for people who don't understand why they cannot just unzip the download and load it up, so if you don't mind, as a 'public service announcement," I'm going to drop in here a quick youtube video on how to "activate" a downloaded custom map -- it's an older video so if there are changes people need to know about, please comment and let us all know. (I am not sure if the "cleaning your database" part is still valid advice).  Fast forward to 40 second mark where she starts with a folder named "test1" for what to do after you have downloaded a new custom map:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I was thinking some more of how to promote these -- maybe bundle up your favorite 10 maps (or what people download most), give them descriptive names (Riverview, Northern Frontier, Biomes, Wildwoods, Meadowlands) just in case people need a nudge, and then post that "bundle of 10" on the MODS forums as well as the STEAM forums,  along with a note that people are encouraged to use them on their own servers, public or private, and that there are many many more individual maps in the "Maps and Challenges Subforum," as people might think everything in there is for special challenges rather than maps they can use with their own servers. 

Downside will be -- more people will be posting questions and problems and need help troubleshooting, and you might not want to open that can of worms although I am confident experienced players will jump in to help answer questions.

It's just discouraging how many many of the new multiplayer servers opening up all use the SAME base Ocrea map over and over and over  😕  In my opinion, if you are going to have a new public server it really should be using a custom map!!!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

No problem at all :D I really enjoy making the maps. I only stopped because I ran out of ideas lol. I have no idea how many people actually use any of them - ill see if I can find stats in my google drive.

I'll also have a go at promoting them a bit more :D

**edit**

it appears that it doesn't like adding new trees to the existing biome image (although its fine adding other tiles bizarrely). Only way to sort this would be to totally re-do the biomes from scratch. May or may not have time to do this this week, depends on work.

Edited by CountZero

I often considered hosting my own server - I used one of my maps and was building a huge city starting town complete with cathedral, city hall, upper class housing district, slums, pubs and taverns etc. I had a history lore created and was going to add random little things of interest around that match with the lore - old battlefields, deserted/ruined villages, fortresses etc and use custom npcs to give out info and clues to stuff. The odd little quest that leads to treasures or special equipment.

I was also going to add someones improved trader npcs to try and get somekind of economy going, mainly for newbs.

Got the city over halfway built but lost momentum when I realized id never be able to afford to host it so it felt futile :P

You might be able to team up with someone who wants to pay to host a server, but has no idea how to do custom maps + mods etc.

Just every now and then mention it in passing and see if anyone responds. :)

You can get a nice physical server with a good amount of ram and solid bandwith for 40$/month from wholesaleinternet.com that should be more than sufficient to run a small cluster. If that is too spendy some sort of donation link, access fee, or in game perqs could probably cover the cost if your server is cool enough to attract players. It sounds like it would be a step above the 1million X skillgain/action speed ocrea servers that are prevalent so I wouldnt find that outlandish.

mmm, I wouldnt want to have to rely on donations tho. Maybe one day when I have a better job :D Ill keep an eye out in case anyones wanting to start a server but needs help.

Where are you from CountZero? I'm in the Netherlands and I have a little dedicated server PC. Its got an 8th generation i5, 16gb of ram and lots of bandwith. I want to start a server for a small group of players.

You'd be welcome to join and bring some people. I know I'd love to have someone experienced join us. I and one friend am the only one with a little bit of experience in this game!

Also, your map seems like one of the best ones I've seen so far and if it has no issues I'd love to use it. Did you end up finishing what you planned on this map?

Edited by Funkyblues

Climate zone based distribution of trees and bushes has just a temporary effect, very soon every player will have planted their needs nearby.  For ores, I would need iron and silver/or gold, but wouldn't use much effort looking for any other ores. A 3x3 map isn't easily done but might be not too small nor too big. I would like to find lots of small lakes and isles, nooks and grannies, headlands and coves in sizes of 500 to 1000 tiles; rocky hills that can be climbed; a variable smooth topography but no bumpy terrain; open vistas; no place too far from a boat access.

On 5/2/2020 at 7:32 PM, Funkyblues said:

Where are you from CountZero? I'm in the Netherlands and I have a little dedicated server PC. Its got an 8th generation i5, 16gb of ram and lots of bandwith. I want to start a server for a small group of players.

You'd be welcome to join and bring some people. I know I'd love to have someone experienced join us. I and one friend am the only one with a little bit of experience in this game!

Also, your map seems like one of the best ones I've seen so far and if it has no issues I'd love to use it. Did you end up finishing what you planned on this map?

Hello,

I am from the UK :D

To be honest I dont really play Wurm anymore but Im happy to help you out with map stuff or any general GM questions if you have them - tho I expect there are more experianced GMs here on the forums. I dont watch the forum often but I get email notifications about PM's so you can contact me that way.

Your welcome to use any of my maps and they can all be edited. I am not sure if this particular one would make the best choice to be fair - the biome thing was just an experiment, Im not sure how well it would actually play but its up to you :D

I have made some other maps here;