Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

The annoying "micro freezes" are back

I remember we had them a few years ago: I call them "micro freezes". Sadly, they suddenly returned (for me, at least) lately - possibly after the new launcher was released (but probably not directly related).

Here is what they are: When my character moves (walking, riding, sailing) the game frequently seems to freeze for a second, as if loading textures or other content. This happens randomly, every 30-60 seconds on average, depending on where I am or what I am doing. Relogging or even rebooting the computer does not help, nor does closing all other instances of the client. My system is powerful enough, so it should not be related to any standard performance issue. Also: this is Deliverance, not Xanadu.

My specs:

Processor:                   Intel Core i7-9700K

Total Memory:            32 GBytes

Video:                          NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

Video RAM:                8 GB

Graphics settings:    Maximum.

This effect is pretty annoying, because my characters cannot move smoothly anymore and it is hard to navigate properly.

Any ideas?

• Like 3

I've got this to.

On independence that is, when I drive with my 30speed horse, these small stutters appear, like the client has trouble loading in new distant trees and such, only since last week this started to happen.

And here I thought running 19 clients did this to me.

Well, it probably is, though my system doesn't seem to be fully occupied by those either, at least when running the LowMem client. Before the launcher it was obvious that 31,9GB of 32GB being filled with Wurms can lead to stutters, but now it's 25/32GB and should be fine, according to the performance monitor in the task manager. My system is pretty much like Yagas in the specs he posts except a slightly lower tier GPU (RTX 2070).

For reference/to be sure, does anyone have 2 monitors? Have you run Wurm in Windowed Mode with the new client and noticed for instance Youtube or other videos shown in a browser also freezing when the client stutters this way while moving? If so, this might be an issue with Wurm doing bad stuff on the GPU, not just a plain performance issue.

this stopped occuring when i used the preview client with a now-unavailable version of java RE (10,11 or 12 can't recall)

a previous patch buggered the preview client (when using these versions of java), since then i returned to J8 and the normal client.. since THEN, ive started to use the exe.

No, this has been occurring for some time i had hoped an embedded version of java within the wurm client would allow our devs to choose the smoothest integration.
I had assumed they'd implemented J10 or above. (the RE is no longer supplied but the devkits are alive and kicking)

This has not occurred the problem is still present.
I have remarked upon it twice with players over the last month

it breaks immersion, why run in full screen when every few minutes you're reminded that you're running in a microsoft window.

Edited by Steveleeb

I cannot remember a time where the game was not habitually prone to frequent, sporadic, massive frame-rate drops - At least not on my system.

Ever since time immemorial, the very beginning of Wurm, I can be chugging along just fine - at what can barely be called an acceptable framerate to begin with (~30-45 FPS) for how bad the graphics are for this game - and then all of a sudden, have a massive framerate drop or some sort of client stutter where everything in the Wurm client locks up at 0-FPS and is completely unresponsive for about 1.5-2.5 seconds, and then the game eventually catches up and spits out a stuttered conglomeration of torn frames. This occurs once every 5 to 10 minutes or so if standing still, and once every probably 20-30 seconds if moving like OP mentioned. Moving at high rates of speed (like on HH or Uni) is completely undoable. This is EXTREMELY off-putting for PvP, it makes the game basically unplayable if I could potentially ###### out in mid-combat.

The freezes/stuttering, do not seem to start right away. E.G. when I first start the client they are not present as much when standing still. Moving still causes it. Eventually after the client has been logged in for an hour or two, even without moving once during the entire time, the stuttering starts up.

I don't wanna rip this thing too hard though, cause otherwise that Retro guy that's supposed to do PR will come in here and tell me all these problems are all a figment of my imagination or are due to my "crappy" system or some kind of misconfigured settings. All of which I can and have ruled out long ago, mind you.

Edited by whereami
#bitchpost

These have returned from me roughly around the last large visual update - with distant rendering and shiny armours.

It is quite the same feeling like the old "travel freeze" which means it gets worse after longer trips and a client restart helps a bit on it.

Happens on Windows7 and Ubuntu, both computers are Core i5, 16GB, Nvidia GTX 1050 /GTX 1050 Ti

I get these Micro Stutters as well now. They used to exist but were fixed for the longest time until this new launcher came about.

Now it's a constant micro stutter every few seconds .... Hard to enjoy it like this.

i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz

GTX 1080

64GB DDR4 RAM

Wurm on SSD

Edited by HeWhoHordesManyPillows

same/60-1fps jumps and freezes/ for me yesterday with new launcher, had no issues the night before that with it...

yesterday i just continued to play with the old jnlp client - 0 issues with that

i'll try new launcher today and if there are problems will add to this

-- edit

just logged with new launcher.. fps jumps and drops to the floor.. day 2 of old jnlp.. here I come.. save me...

as reference .. 1060 alternative 8gb video, 4core/8thread 3.4ghz 8gb ram

Edited by Finnn

23 hours ago, HeWhoHordesManyPillows said:

After some testing, I am fairly sure this stuttering is due to in-game audio.

We can look into it but can you explain why you believe it's due to audio? I've had no issues with audio and its not happening on every system 

It's happened for as long as I can remember, for me it's exactly every 3 tiles.  I can literally stop when it happens on the 3rd tile, and turn climb on, then move back and forth btween tile 3 and 2 then 3 over and over and drop my FPS from it.  Again, happened for years.  I assumed it was normal lol.

AMD FX-8350 4.2ghz 8-core

RX-580 Red Devil 8gb

16gb ram

250gb ssd

The micro-stutter as it's called now isn't bad enough, it's fraction of a second.  Again, if I just move back and forth over and over every 3rd tile I can drop my fps easily.  If I stop, it goes right back up.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:13 AM, Retrograde said:

We can look into it but can you explain why you believe it's due to audio? I've had no issues with audio and its not happening on every system 

When there is few sounds playing, the game is not so stuttering, but when there is lots of sounds like riding a Cart with 2 horses, multiple enemies walking, etc, the game starts to crawl and stutter much more frequently.

Still stutters but much less, if you just walk vs taking a horse or cart with 2 horses.

bleh, deleted recently felt irrelevant

Edited by Steveleeb

nm i just got told what the issue is and why it's not been admitted to.
lets hope the opengl update fixes it eh
(NOTE - running wurm through Java 10 greatly reduces the problem but it isn't officially supported, to download the runtime you need an oracle account)

Edited by Steveleeb

This is no longer a problem in Wurm Online, unfortunately WU didn't get the update that fixed it.
I'm continuing trying to figure this out in this thread;
https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/172809-force-java-10-reduce-micro-freezes/&tab=comments#comment-1764089
Below is a continued edit as i explore the issue in WU, i won't reply to this thread, only the one listed above.

http://www.geert.io/java-freezing-due-to-garbage-collector.html
the resolve on this page found which process is the cause. tested on wu, makes a marginal difference.
raising windows power management from balanced to high performance yields a bigger impact.

The greatest fix so far, seems to be making min and max heap size the same as so;
[Runtime]
OverrideDefaultJavaPath=false
JavaPath=
[Memory]
InitialHeap=4096m
MaxHeapSize=4096m
[VMParams]
JvmParam0=-XX:+AggressiveOpts
JvmParam1=-Xms4096M
JvmParam2=-Xmx4096M

Edited by Steveleeb

I just installed the Steam client and I am having these micro freezes from time to time, mostly notice it when traveling.

• Like 2

Have had these the entire time since steam release. Can post system specs if it helps. Haven't noticed a pattern in when it happens so I know this report is kinda useless.