Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 088

tysxQEn.png

Calm - Ziem

Greetings Wurmians! 

Had a bad day? Too many deaths on Epic? Succeeded the imping action but no rare? Well not to fear, I'm always here and we're back with more news covering the week that has been and a little bit about the week ahead, so get your reading boots on, and dive in.

Elevation reborn
The elevation reset has seen a lot of action and plenty of people have dropped in to check it out, myself included (more on that shortly), we've seen good player numbers and plenty of suggestions about what can be adjusted in it. Many will not be feasible until the long term overhaul but we are looking at them and discussing them where applicable. We'll be putting up a rework feedback and discussion thread in the coming days to see what you all feel about it and what could be changed!

<remember to insert map dump of elevation here! - Retro>

We've also seen decent coverage in various blogs and sites as the news of this got out, so that's great as well. (And yes, newsletters went out, gosh)

New Launcher
The new launcher for Wurm has been an extremely smooth success, which is absolutely awesome! We'll be working on the bugs reported as well as getting the native launchers out for linux and mac, I'd like to thank you all for working with it and giving feedback where you had to!

Improve friends, make monsters, bash tools!

The second annual Friendalong on Pristine is coming up! From the 22nd to the 27th of July VirusMD and gang will be hosting an impalong at their amazing deed on south of Pristine. Home of the famous nugget slaughter of 2018:

We'll definitely be dropping in to spawn some mobs, including the tasty new valrei mobs, and generally hangout and chat with everyone, maybe even a popup stream or two so you can witness the slaughter from above!

So make sure you check it out, and save the date! 

Elevation stream
Last week we did a stream of the new Elevation server and unfortunately ran into a few issues (and spears). After about 10 seconds being a captive Budda then turned on me and displayed worryingly strong signs of Stockholm Syndrome. It was a fun stream to do, and I'm working on editing a version of this ensuring that no deeds were shown or revealed. 

We'll not be doing a stream this week as unfortunately I can't commit to that time but I'm beginning the planning for a develop-a-deed (best name) stream, where we developers build our own deed. Budda wants to be on Epic but I think that's a horribly shockingly bad idea (especially with how quickly he turned on me once enemies showed up). Where would you like to see us deed? 

Community Content 
This weeks community content is a thread for players to showcase their deeds by steveleeb. It's got some really great videos and I'd love to see more, so if you want to record your deed and share it, it'd be awesome to see!

That's it from us this week, I'll be busy behind the scenes working on promo stuff for project Frontier, but until next news, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 12

The client is really nice, like the selection.

Should make a deed on the highest point on xan. It could give u time before visitors.

• Like 2

I'm looking for new neighbors in south xanadu ? S15 area... Secondly I would love to design a house, building, or something for your deed when you finally find a spot though.  this is what I do I am a wurm architect 

Edited by leander

Would love to see your deed stream around Inde 13-14 s-t

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Budda wants to be on Epic but I think that's a horribly shockingly bad idea (especially with how quickly he turned on me once enemies showed up). Where would you like to see us deed? 

Sure, Epic would be challenging, but definitely more entertaining that watching grass grow on Freedom.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

Sure, Epic would be challenging, but definitely more entertaining that watching grass grow on Freedom.

You would be surprised how thrilling our gras can be at times.

• Like 5

no mention of the impalong?? :(  

starts the 22nd!

• Like 4

Join Epic.  It's not all one sided and been a lot more fun since reset.

Join Elevation Today. Most fun I've had in a long time.

Jenn-Kellon the smallest kingdom message @Gofs

Mol Rehan the second most populated kingdom message @Olloch

Horde of the Summoned the most populated kingdom message @FranktheTank or @Moonpoppy

Any Kingdom will function mostly the same and you'll have a blast.

I'd encourage people to Join Jenn-Kellon to try and balance the numbers out a bit more. Three kingdom fights are always more fun and messy!

See you all on the battlefield!

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Retrograde said:

(especially with how quickly he turned on me once enemies showed up)

We are not your enemies. We are same kingdom. We will help you build your cave.

Also with regards to what olloch said: i disagree that hots is the most populated, but in either case go JK because they need numbers 

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 2

I'd love to see you guys work on a deed on Elevation, in spite or perhaps because of your cave efforts there already. I believe there is some more space in JK's shieldwall. A good idea would be to set up a tiny PvP-ready deed prior to stream though, in case you end up having some unwelcoming neighbours.

14 hours ago, VirusMD said:

no mention of the impalong?? :(  

starts the 22nd!

Wow I'm sorry! I'll fix this asap

• Like 1

Honestly, ATM, the severe lack of off-deed decay is putting me off playing more than anything.

Can we look into this (Xanadu)?

For example: There's a building on my peri. for almost a year, with only 1 damage taken. a 20QL cart with 3dmg taken. Abandoned off-deed vehicles and buildings (locked or otherwise) shouldn't take half a decade+ to decay. For the size Xanadu is, there's an awful lot of abandoned eyesores.

21 hours ago, Drathania said:

Honestly, ATM, the severe lack of off-deed decay is putting me off playing more than anything.Can we look into this (Xanadu)?

For example: There's a building on my peri. for almost a year, with only 1 damage taken. a 20QL cart with 3dmg taken. Abandoned off-deed vehicles and buildings (locked or otherwise) shouldn't take half a decade+ to decay. For the size Xanadu is, there's an awful lot of abandoned eyesores.

This post seems to be more appropriate in the CA or suggestions area. As to carts (and ships), decay is indeed low. You can get them at least pushed off deed with GM help.

The building decay reported seems abnormal to me even for a ql100 building. For a ql70 stone building a decay of 1 should be reached within 5 weeks from being in perim and having dmg=0.0, given that the owner stays on the server. After 3 months of absence of the owner decay should accelerate considerably, but even without, decay should accelerate. A normal stone building of 70 ql should be gone within a year at maximum. If the decay is as slow as you report consider a ticket.

Mind that structure lifetime is a tradeoff between the interests of building creators and possible deed owners. Normally, if no territorial conflicts exist, it should be possible to reach an agreement over management rights between structure and deed owner allowing either the structure owner to repair/maintain, or the deed/perimeter owner to demolish.

Getting update antsy  here .

Been almost a month and nothing  about Frontier or   VI 89 .....

Need some info fix ...

Keep up the good work peeps ....

No news is good news?  Ended up skipping a week due to really, nothing to show for it, I'd rather not do news that's 90% filler all the time and take a break, regular news this week! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

No news is good news?  Ended up skipping a week due to really, nothing to show for it, I'd rather not do news that's 90% filler all the time and take a break, regular news this week! 

Not even community events you could talk about? Or stuff about interesting projects people working on? 

Could start talking about Wurm news instead of just developer news. Or are you saying nothing worthy of note has happened in a whole month in the game? No news is not good news. Its bad news. Nothing going on. If you can't find something to talk about in a whole month of gaming, perhaps you should either enlist some people from the community to write stuff up, or maybe become more active with the community.

Some of us look forward to these VI's and seeing less of them makes us want to come back less. Creativity is the name of the game. 

Hell, you could start a contest or a "Fall event" to get the community invigorated!

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Not even community events you could talk about? Or stuff about interesting projects people working on? 

Could start talking about Wurm news instead of just developer news. Or are you saying nothing worthy of note has happened in a whole month in the game? No news is not good news. Its bad news. Nothing going on. If you can't find something to talk about in a whole month of gaming, perhaps you should either enlist some people from the community to write stuff up, or maybe become more active with the community.

Some of us look forward to these VI's and seeing less of them makes us want to come back less. Creativity is the name of the game. 

Hell, you could start a contest or a "Fall event" to get the community invigorated!

All good ideas, and we'll definitely be exploring them.

Think of this one off as a midyear break before we get into the big stuff, There is plenty going on, and work on Frontier is nearing completion, just nothing to share yet. We will be back this week with all the news of what's going on in Wurm though! 

• Like 3

Just now, Retrograde said:

All good ideas, and we'll definitely be exploring them.

Think of this one off as a midyear break before we get into the big stuff, There is plenty going on, and work on Frontier is nearing completion, just nothing to share yet. We will be back this week with all the news of what's going on in Wurm though! 

?

20 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

work on Frontier is nearing completion

breathes heavily into Retro's nape

How close?

Like really, the whole thing already? I thought it would come incrementally. Don't get me wrong, this is thrilling. Sounds we get a huge package to chew on directly.

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

There is plenty going on

I'm sure there is something going on... The vague reports of explorers finding themselves magically transported can only point to one thing... something is going on...

?

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 3:37 AM, Retrograde said:

There is plenty going on, and work on Frontier is nearing completion, just nothing to share yet. We will be back this week with all the news of what's going on in Wurm though! 

Maybe start dropping hints about what it might be? If there's one thing that gets this community going, it's over-analyzing vague clues.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Maybe start dropping hints about what it might be? If there's one thing that gets this community going, it's over-analyzing vague clues.

Lol, yes, good idea :) . Even more important: dropping information outside the community bubble. I mean gaming magazines and portals, Linux magazines and portals, Mac magazines and portals. Still, the Mac and Linux environments suffer from a relative shortage of 3D games, so Wurm would be one of the bigger fishes in the pond, and have better chances for being mentioned in publications without dropping huge bribes in form of expensive ads.