Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Deliverance map POI - Landmarks

thank you for voting  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we add a Heritage Landmarks overlay to the community map?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but lets just call them landmarks so that more sites might qualify

Hello, after chatting with Yaga I'd like to create a new poll, recently a `special places` layer was added to our community map, these sites are comprised of Epic mission structures that are results of the missions.

I would like to propose an idea, heritage landmarks, there are many interesting sights across deli to visit.. how do we feel about adding them to the map? (landmark name not deed name)
Yaga is keen if it receives enough support and encouragement from the community.

The question is, how would such a thing qualify to be added to the map, deeds fall, landmarks disappear.
speaking for myself, my deliverance settlement is home to The Deliverance Wishbone. has been for years and will be for years more.

Maybe the amount of upkeep in the coffers should be a variable for qualification. (mine has 3 years in it but perhaps requirement should be 1 year)
Landmarks that don't rely on a deed to exist need not worry about that.
Most of all we need an inspector or a community voting system that can discern whether or not a landmark is deserving of said status. (a visit isn't required, a few pics would do)
The term `heritage` is merely an option, to qualify the landmark would have to be over a certain age. I figured that if we simply added `landmarks` there might be far too many.

Those are my ideas, feel free to present your own.

Edited by Steveleeb

5 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

Yaga is keen

Actually I never said so; please don't misquote me. :(

I voted "No", for various reasons. First: the map contains a lot of data already, and it gets more crammed and harder to maintain with every new layer. Second: the main purpose of a community map is to help players find their route and help them not to get lost. That's why we have deeds, roads, tunnels etc. on it. Also we have mission structures in order to help players getting missions done. Adding "sightseeing landmarks" will not serve that purpose, in fact it will just add to the effort needed to keep the map up to date. Third: who decides which structures qualify as a "landmark" to be put on the map? By which criteria? Is it just pure size? Effort needed to build? Beauty (which lies in the eye of the beholder)? A whole can of worms to be opened...

So, tldr: I am NOT keen. Sorry.

• Like 2

well i didn't see that coming.

However, you are welcome to post a suggestion in our map thread (or create a new thread in the Deli forum section) and find out how the community feels about adding a new class of objects. Let the players decide!

I considered the exclamation mark to emote keenness, but i guess that's entirely subjective and it is not how you felt at the time after all.
I'm going to forget this ever happened, maybe the thread will take on a life of its own, this is the last comment i'll make on it.
for the record, it wasn't a mis-quote, i never said you said you were keen i merely assumed that you were.
it was a mis-translation, had i known you weren't fond of the idea, i wouldn't have found the energy to create the post. the questions you raise are for the community to answer/solve, that's the point. sorry for failing to distinct, i have a suspicion as to why this occurred.
*breathes out a tired breath and walks away*

Edited by Steveleeb

I will go for No, heritage sites are usually cave canals, which are already on the map being canals, nothing really fits within heritage rules nowadays... I mean, even the deeds at the entrance/exit of heritage sites are not protected by any means.

Now, if you want to make a map of all the glorious sites to see on the server (or all the servers), why not, but i don't see it as a necessity in a public map... which can (imho) contain way too much information.

And if we need to mention epic structures, we have to remember that deeded ones DOESN'T COUNT toward epic missions.

• Like 1

I agree with yaga and vote no.

The idea itself is nice just to show wich nice stuff we made.
But the potential of drama wich stuff counts as landmark is unforeseeable.

• Like 1