Sign in to follow this  
Army

Old Elevation restoration attempt [2048x2048]

As the old elevation map has been released in its final state only, I decided to clean it up to get it back as close as possible to the original, untouched state. This is the reference image of the original state I used.

Here is the result:

1COUPUj.png

Sadly some details got lost in the process, but I tried to restore as much as possible. Mountains and the craters still look the same at all and deserts, the HOTA steppe, moss and peat have been placed close to their old positions.

Download link (OneDrive): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtYqqfN8DFJziqZEWpXoQRTp4CII0Q

• Like 4

Good Job

Considering that this was the start:

0Bjt3PR.jpg

You did an awesome job.

Do you want to share you secrets which tools you used and what your workflow was?

Edited by Sklo:D

Basically you can turn any wurm map into a heightmap to edit it easily with a tool of your preference, and convert it back into a wurm map.

I turned the map files into a heightmap using the WurmAPI and Javas BufferedImage class, imported it into Unity to use it with the engines terrain system (as I have many self written tools for it), edited the heightmap to get rid of all the pillars and other damage and converted it back into a wurm map using the WurmAPI again. Pretty simple, just a bit messy here and there because Unity uses a 2d float array instead of shorts to store height information, so additional tweaking was required.

Oh, and I also modified the map dump renderer of the WurmAPI to make it look more like the old renderer again. It had much darker shadows back when the original elevation map was rendered, no idea why that has been changed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ausimus said:

Well done dude.

Can we get the new old elevation too?

2 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Can we get the new old elevation too?

At this time, no.

58 minutes ago, ausimus said:

At this time, no.

?