Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

New Client forces restart during installation

While installing the new client and after the progress was completed, the installer immediately attempted to restart my computer without warning. I was able to cancel the restart as I had other apps running that it was attempting to close and windows prompted me. Upon cancellation I noticed that the installer was at the part where it asks for you to select to restart now or later. I hadn't touched anything nor did I press continue. The box was still awaiting confirmation, yet the client attempted a forced restart.

I don't think this is intended and seems to be the result of some rogue code somewhere, but you could guess the problems it may cause. I had a Word document open that was work related and I was working on and nearly caused me a heart attack.

Should be looked into.

Running Windows 10 Pro

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

While installing the new client and after the progress was completed, the installer immediately attempted to restart my computer without warning. I was able to cancel the restart as I had other apps running that it was attempting to close and windows prompted me. Upon cancellation I noticed that the installer was at the part where it asks for you to select to restart now or later. I hadn't touched anything nor did I press continue. The box was still awaiting confirmation, yet the client attempted a forced restart.

I don't think this is intended and seems to be the result of some rogue code somewhere, but you could guess the problems it may cause. I had a Word document open that was work related and I was working on and nearly caused me a heart attack.

Should be looked into.

Running Windows 10 Pro

same happened to me.. i guess its the first time an installation executable didn't lie to me, i REALLY should have saved all my other processes and logged out of them, because for the first time installing anything in the last 20 years i lost some hours of work lol

win 10 pro

• Like 2

Isn't it the VC Redist that looks for a reboot? when i got the prompt i told it to go suck a lemon and it works fine without a reboot.

Winblows10 Home

Same thing happened to me. Ran the installer, turned around for a second and my PC had rebooted on its own. Windows 10 Home version.

5 hours ago, Locath said:

Isn't it the VC Redist that looks for a reboot? when i got the prompt i told it to go suck a lemon and it works fine without a reboot.

Winblows10 Home

The reboot happens before the prompt. You can't tell it to go suck a lemon because it reboots the computer for you before it asks. 

Maybe it was different for you, but that's how it seems to be happening to some people.