Sign in to follow this  
CountZero

nerf iron, buff steel / new metal type

Compare iron items to steel items in this game and theres not much point in steel considering the effort it takes to make, which is rubbish.

Iron is soft and brittle. If you take an iron item and hit things with it, the iron item should take a lot of dmg (at least a lot more than it currently does). Farming tools, weapons, armor should all take higher dmg.

I know steel currently has a bit of a durability buff to it but the difference between iron and steel is too narrow.

A steel item can also take a much better edge to it - steel blades should be (significantly) more effective than iron ones (higher success/ql chance when cutting or more dmg when attacking).

Also on a slight tangent, Im not entirely sure why electrum was added as a thing (there must be a point im missing?) but if steel was much more preferable as a material - we could add "mithril". Identical to steel but much lighter. It could be a steel alloy - adding electrum to it or zinc or something (more uses for existing ores would be nice)

Edited by CountZero

I'm all for making steels usefulness better. Please learn what the real characteristics of iron are before you say things like iron is more brittle than steel.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, armyskin said:

I'm all for making steels usefulness better. Please learn what the real characteristics of iron are before you say things like iron is more brittle than steel.

I guess im thinking more of cast than wrought but then doesnt wrought require smelting with charcoal?

• Like 1

Wrought iron is a different monster entirely. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron 

Iron, cast iron, wrought iron, and steel each have different characteristics and uses. Hell I just learned about a process used on cast iron for the first time this week. Metallurgy needs some love and I had hoped the adding of electrum would be a useful addition to the skill. Sadly it is only for making a rune, and also gold plate with a slightly off greenish tint.

3 hours ago, CountZero said:

the iron item should take a lot of dmg (at least a lot more than it currently does). Farming tools, weapons, armor should all take higher dmg.

No! "Nerfing" iron as your post title indicates should not be done to benefit steel use. Iron is the main crafting material for all metal items and this suggestion would diminish the current effectiveness of all those items. Steel items already take less damage than iron anyway so I am not too sure that it even needs to be increased further in comparison to iron. A very bad idea to punish all players that use iron items just to benefit the steel producers.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ayes said:

No! "Nerfing" iron as your post title indicates should not be done to benefit steel use. Iron is the main crafting material for all metal items and this suggestion would diminish the current effectiveness of all those items. Steel items already take less damage than iron anyway so I am not too sure that it even needs to be increased further in comparison to iron. A very bad idea to punish all players that use iron items just to benefit the steel producers.

=Ayes=

Well not to mention that iron metal goods are meant to be the baseline metals as well. So nerfing the baseline just imbalances the whole system. 

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 4

I make and use a lot of steel and, believe it or not, the current mechanics already make it well worth the effort, especially for weapons, armour, and tools that see a lot of wear like pickaxes, shovels, and chisels. That said, a small increase in the bonus, say 30% less damage versus the current 20%, might entice more players to discover the benefits for themselves. Either way, I personally will continue to choose steel over iron anytime I can.

Edited by Gwyn
clarity
  • Like 3

I'd rather buff steel than nerf iron.. 

* initial reply was <censored> with the humble boring replacement above.

I ain't opposed to encouraging more steel use, as the current bonuses for steel aren't enough to make me think it's worth the extra headache of making steel.

But nerfing something else to encourage using it is never the answer.

Leave iron alone.... 

Steel could use a buff that said, apart from what it has.  Something like a 2.5% buff in places where moon metals have 10% kind of deal (oversimplified tldr that is)

Steel is very useful on Epic for things that take a lot of damage: shovels, pickaxes and shields to mention a few things.

I think it's useful enough, or at least I found it useful enough to spend the time to make a lot of my tools in steel.

well buffing steel is an option. The reason i didn't suggest it was that I thought it might make it too effective?

Iron doesn't seem ineffective in any way. Someone said they think making steel items is currently worth the effort for the durability bonus but I don't get that. When im making iron items i will make several at a time just because if im imping 1 thing its more efficient to imp loads and since iron doesn't require the effort to produce as steel, churning out loads at a time and just keeping spares is quick and easy. If a tool takes too much damage I can just dump it and pick up a brand new one.

not sure about withril but can't agree more about current state of combined metals mechanic

pretty much all of them are too hard to get in high QL state and just slightly differ from common iron, electrum too, btw

while steel is more or less useful for tools, armor or shields, brass and bronze are used mostly for toys and skillgain