Sign in to follow this  
christopher

rain and small rivers / streams

can we please have small rivers / streams running down from the mountains (just a few here n there) . lightning and storms rain and thunder .so I can sit near my fire and look out at it awesome . we can add small walkway bridges over them were we need to be good to . .

fairly sure moving water is impossible? as is having water above sea level

Edited by CountZero

2 hours ago, CountZero said:

fairly sure moving water is impossible? as is having water above sea level

Multistory buildings was also impossible at one time.

I would take a map reset if I could have multi story mines and flowing water above sea level (lakes, rivers, waterfalls etc)

• Like 1

3D mines may be more realistic codewise.... my guess at least. 

Flowing water, ain't even seen the voxel-based "wurms" figure that one out yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfgar said:

Multistory buildings was also impossible at one time.

I would take a map reset if I could have multi story mines and flowing water above sea level (lakes, rivers, waterfalls etc)

they weren't impossible, they  had not been developed but the game engine had the technical capability to allow it. 

All water in wurm exists as a flat layer. You see water wherever the land level is below the water level. When you see a lake, that water isnt sitting on top of the rock underneath it . In order to have water above sea level (and indeed moving water) would require (i think - im no expert) a physics engine that Wurm doesnt have. If they were to change to a new fancy one it would basically be a total rebuild of the game from scratch right? (i dont actually know but it seems likely).

im guessing that it wouldn't be the same as ocean water. as you say we don't really have physical water in the game, just a 2d texture with 3d effects applied to it.
and indeed i've yet to see it flowing in unity engine voxel sandboxes.
question is, Minecraft runs on the java platform and it has wonderful water physics.
I'd imagine it's more of a case of `the project would require a separate team of staff to develop it`
during a time when we're trying to keep wurm afloat, i don't believe that this is financially viable, but what do i know.

after short research;

Minecraft is a sandbox video game that uses voxels to store terrain data, but does not use voxel rendering techniques. Instead it uses polygon rendering to display each voxel as a cubic "block."
Voxel-based games such as Minecraft (2012) have become increasingly popular. ... Fluids such as water are programmed in several different ways in voxel engines

source: various
to me this suggests that the techniques employed in MC, despite it being a java game, cannot be applied to the wurm code.

Edited by Steveleeb