Sign in to follow this  
Samool

WSA: Wurm Online Launcher changes

6 hours ago, DeriJay said:

Disappointed that  the Mac Launcher won't work on older OSX versions.

Which OS X version would that be? We (maybe) can build it for compatibility, can't promise anything but can always check it out.

Why can't you update the OS? No compatibility with the hardware?

New Mac Launcher working fine for me ?

Two remarks though:

- I can't open the Settings window from in-game (pressing the button from the Options menu does not do anything), but I can still access it from the Launcher;

- Characters (letters) look a bit blurry on my Retina screen, while they were pixel-sharp with the old client;

Cheers

-- Grobrim

3 hours ago, Grobrim said:

Two remarks though:

- I can't open the Settings window from in-game (pressing the button from the Options menu does not do anything), but I can still access it from the Launcher;

- Characters (letters) look a bit blurry on my Retina screen, while they were pixel-sharp with the old client;

Cheers

-- Grobrim

blurry text on screen will ###### up your vision real quick, in a few weeks or at most a few months. I speak from experience.

so this needs fixing asap, in the meantime avoid reading the text.

In the text tab look for font antialiasing.  having it on when it came out in the client gave me blurry text and turning it off made it sharp again, maybe that will help

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrGARY said:

In the text tab look for font antialiasing.  having it on when it came out in the client gave me blurry text and turning it off made it sharp again, maybe that will help

Thanks MrGARY for the suggestion.

I had never noticed the antialiasing setting under the Text settings tab.

However, setting it off just makes characters totally distorted and very difficult to read... 

-- Grobrim

I tried new Mac launcher but nothing shows up after Wurm logo. App still running but nothing shows up.

edit : on mojave(10.14.6)

Edited by Xinit

1 hour ago, Xinit said:

I tried new Mac launcher but nothing shows up after Wurm logo. App still running but nothing shows up.

edit : on mojave(10.14.6)

Check if it doesn't start minimized, I've seen it do that a couple times. Did it download the client and the Java runtime fine? (the progress bars before the launcher)

On 8/16/2019 at 10:39 PM, Samool said:

Which OS X version would that be? We (maybe) can build it for compatibility, can't promise anything but can always check it out.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:39 PM, Samool said:

Why can't you update the OS? No compatibility with the hardware? 

Precisely. Works fine on my newer macs though. :)

3 hours ago, Samool said:

Check if it doesn't start minimized, I've seen it do that a couple times. Did it download the client and the Java runtime fine? (the progress bars before the launcher)

its not minimized & nothing shows up after Wurm logo.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:25 AM, Grobrim said:

Two remarks though:

Cheers

-- Grobrim

Neither the old or the new client had support for DPI scaling on Retina screens, but we'll be adding an option that allows you to enable that. What that doesn't affect is fullscreen, were the characters pixel sharp on windowed mode, or fullscreen? You can still choose the full screen resolution in the settings and it should look sharp, though you might also have to adjust the text size settings.

In-game settings will not be available on Mac until the new UI comes around - that might not be far off, Mac users have change the settings from the launcher for now.

38 minutes ago, Xinit said:

its not minimized & nothing shows up after Wurm logo.

Sounds like there's some firewall blocking it, the launcher retrieves update information right after the Wurm splash screen and if it gets it fine, it continues to the installation. Make sure the firewall doesn't affect the Wurm Online application, or if Gatekeeper isn't blocking it.

Im a bit disappointed cause I thought there wasn't gonna be any change but I Just downloaded the new launcher for Mac and the quality of the in game text, icons and windows have significantly decreased.

Do I need to change something in my settings?

The startscreen is also blurry btw.

Cant enter the settings from in game.

New Launcher https://imgur.com/drmHjgr

Old Launcher https://imgur.com/TWJ7l3o

Also I can't paste and copy in the chat window anymore or open links:( 

Just tested different window settings. And going to classic UI instead of Ironwood but that didn't help either.

Fullscreen seems the only one that looks sharp. But.. everything is super tiny so i adjusted the resolution and everything was the right size again but also blurry again.

2 more screenshots a bit closer. https://imgur.com/a/MiJCJPd

Im not sure what else to try at this moment.

Suggestions are very welcome.

Good thing i can still use the old launcher cause that one is perfectly sharp. How long will I be able to use the old launcher?

Edited by SweetSusie
Added some additional info

On 8/19/2019 at 3:47 AM, Samool said:

Neither the old or the new client had support for DPI scaling on Retina screens, but we'll be adding an option that allows you to enable that. What that doesn't affect is fullscreen, were the characters pixel sharp on windowed mode, or fullscreen? You can still choose the full screen resolution in the settings and it should look sharp, though you might also have to adjust the text size settings.

Thanks Samool, going to fullscreen works for me -- it effectively solves the blurry characters issue, and everything looks great [running on a 2017 15" MBP, selected resolution 1650x1050].

However, when in fullscreen mode, I can't switch to other applications anymore: when I press Cmd-Tab, the menu displaying all running application icons shows up, I can move from one application icon to another by repeatedly pressing Cmd-Tab again or hovering over with my mouse pointer, but it does not switch to the other application upon releasing the Cmd key like it should. [running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6]

Cheers

-- Grobrim

On 7/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, Faldor said:

Did install the next start without problems but when the game runs the key mapping is not right.

For example move forward is the 'W' key in my settings but when I press the 'W' I got Climbing On. The 'Z' key does move forward after some testing (while in the settings it stands on 'W')

Problem start proably with the azerty keyboard layout that is used in my country.

Problem is still the same and the old way to start wurm doesn't work anymore.

Mac fix for some issues mentioned here coming soon, as well as a multi-monitor solution.

11 minutes ago, Faldor said:

Problem is still the same and the old way to start wurm doesn't work anymore.

It's per key settings, I imagine most games would use ZQSD instead of WASD on AZERTY layout? Should do the same on the new client, working on a fix for the keys showing incorrectly in the settings.

If you really need to, you can run the old client for now if you clear the Java cache. Instructions here:

ok, thanks.

Working with the old client now.

Let me know if you need additional info or a test person for the keyboard setting.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:08 AM, Grobrim said:

However, when in fullscreen mode, I can't switch to other applications anymore: when I press Cmd-Tab, the menu displaying all running application icons shows up, I can move from one application icon to another by repeatedly pressing Cmd-Tab again or hovering over with my mouse pointer, but it does not switch to the other application upon releasing the Cmd key like it should. [running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6]

I thought I would share this temporary workaround I have found: you can still switch to other applications which are running in fullscreen mode (only) by using the three-finger slide move on the trackpad to the left or to the right (not sure of any mouse-based equivalent); it is quite convenient to switch with Safari (Wurmpedia etc) while playing Wurm.

Cheers

-- Grobrim

Blurry font display on Mac fixed, keys in settings appear now in the local layout, the game on fullscreen starts on the same monitor as the launcher, and the Mac version has been built for compatibility with older Macs (up from 10.8)