Sign in to follow this  
Samool

WSA: Wurm Online Launcher changes

I would like to report that all has gone smoothly with The Windows 64 Bit exe, it downloaded and has installed and I successfully loaded WURM and Successfully entered into the game and was same place I logged out at. Seems to be working very well. 

Im on Linux (Mint to be specific)

So where am i supposed to extract this to? Java or Wurm?

5 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Any way to stop the clients stacking in the taskbar please?

Not any way specific to the client, but you can disable stacking on the Windows taskbar in general.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-disable-taskbar-button-grouping-2626110

1 minute ago, Elisha said:

Im on Linux (Mint to be specific)

So where am i supposed to extract this to? Java or Wurm?

Extract it anywhere, run the launcher inside.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Samool said:

Not any way specific to the client, but you can disable stacking on the Windows taskbar in general.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-disable-taskbar-button-grouping-2626110

Extract it anywhere, run the launcher inside.

ok...so I extracted into Wurm directory. starts up. So can I uninstall the old Wurm Online [Stable] client?

And apparently is does not create a shortcut. So assume, at least for now, i need to make my own desktop shortcut (not a biggy, just making sure). I tried moving the WurmLauncher to desktop, and it reinstalled another client live jar on the desktop when I tried starting again.

Edited by Elisha

3 minutes ago, Elisha said:

ok...so I extracted into Wurm directory. starts up. So can I uninstall the old Wurm Online [Stable] client?

And apparently is does not create a shortcut. So assume, at least for now, i need to make my own desktop shortcut (not a biggy, just making sure). I tried moving the WurmLauncher to desktop, and it reinstalled another client live jar on the desktop when I tried starting again.

Yes, you can uninstall the old shortcuts. We'll have a .deb installator up soon which will create the shortcuts, have to make your own for now.

32 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Good news, I'm able to download and install it.

Bad news: AVG considers it as a hostile file, so it's put in quarantine. Guess I'm forced to use the old launcher until AVG considers it a safe file.

*grmbl*

Thorin :)

Update: got a message of AVG telling me the file is considered not being a virus.

Seems that problem got solved pretty fast.

Thorin :)

PS: selfquoting used to be soooooo 1999. :(

• Like 1

Ok clicked on exe file and it wants to install wurm in a different folder than where my current install is. I dont want 2 copies of wurm on my computer, why does this install not search for my old one and update it?

1 minute ago, Gylnne said:

Ok clicked on exe file and it wants to install wurm in a different folder than where my current install is. I dont want 2 copies of wurm on my computer, why does this install not search for my old one and update it?

You will need to tell it where your wurm is installed currently

It's not 2 copies, the launcher is installed in a separate directory from the client data (but you can point it to the same place and it should work). You can remove the old shortcuts by clearing the Java cache as mentioned in the first post.

Ok, just for follow up. Installed with no issues. In game atm with 2 clients open and running stable.

I am running Gentoo (Linux) and when i run the file it adds _old to the file name then nothing happens. So all it do is renaming it self :) WurmLauncher_old_old_old_old_old_old_old

It went smooth as butter! As you warned, I did get the security warning but gave my firewall the OK and everything worked beautifully. I was also VERY VERY happy to see all my old settings, usernames, passwords etc were intact!

Well done to all the team for the way you have carried out this improvement.

The advance information, the way that you have been available throughout the changeover so help solve minor issues and to help allay fears is most appreciated.

Cookies all round- the edible ones that is :)

• Like 1

Just have to comment on the new launcher, as a sometime Linux user I always have some issues installing Oracle Java on Ubuntu based distros, this launcher neatly and wonderfully bypasses that, just did a fresh install of Mint 19 and Wurm works fine right out the box, without all the faffing about uninstalling OpenJDK and installing Oracle Java.

So, big bonus points for that at the very least ;)

How do we know which version is the one we are supposed to use?  I have no clue which one to pick.

2 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Using this option makes each one 2 inches wide not just wurm but everything, are you able to make it go back to not stacking like before the change?

https://superuser.com/questions/947070/how-can-i-hide-taskbar-labels-in-windows-10-without-combining-icons

1 hour ago, Nirav said:

How do we know which version is the one we are supposed to use?  I have no clue which one to pick.

The most common one is 64-bit Windows so you can just try that. You can also go into the Control Panel, System Information, and it'll say what -bit you need, but it's most likely 64.

During installation of the Win 64 exe, it demanded a full PC restart and closed down a bunch of applications I was using without asking first.

There really should be a warning that this will happen. I lost some stuff I was working on. Nothing critical, but it was very annoying and cost me time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ajala said:

During installation of the Win 64 exe, it demanded a full PC restart and closed down a bunch of applications I was using without asking first.

There really should be a warning that this will happen. I lost some stuff I was working on. Nothing critical, but it was very annoying and cost me time.

It does ask you if you want to restart at the end.  I was like "i seriously doubt i need to restart for this" checked the do not restart box, and just played wurm without restarting

31 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

It does ask you if you want to restart at the end.  I was like "i seriously doubt i need to restart for this" checked the do not restart box, and just played wurm without restarting

That's possible, but it had already closed almost all of other applications I was using anyway (without asking), so I figured I may as well restart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajala said:

That's possible, but it had already closed almost all of other applications I was using anyway (without asking), so I figured I may as well restart.

It didn't close any of my stuff.  It's windows that closes your stuff as part of the shutdown process if you choose to restart, not the wurm launcher

The Wurm launcher seems to install a C++ redistributable package if necessary, and I believe that is what is prompting for the restart.

It should absolutely be asking, though, not doing it automatically.

• Like 2