Sign in to follow this  
Samool

WSA: Wurm Online Launcher changes

WSA.png

This week we'll be introducing a new, native launcher for Wurm Online. As is the case every couple of years, due to certificate renewal, the current JNLPs and shortcuts are going to break this week, but now in addition to the JNLP, we are releasing native executable files for Windows and Linux, with a Mac version following later in the month.

As previously mentioned, this gives you a way to just install the game like you do with any other application, and not worry about installing the correct version of Java and such - the launcher will now detect and download the version you need.

Downloads available here:  https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online-downloads/

If you have any issues installing it, disable your antivirus for the time it's installing - it's common that newly released applications get marked as false positives and it should fix itself in a couple days.

If you prefer to keep using JNLPs for now (we'll be removing them once we're sure the launcher works well, and the Mac builds are done), you need to clear the Java cache and download new JNLPs - you can find it in the link above.

How to clear your Java cache:

• Like 9

Will folder structure be the same? e.g. profile settings, autorun, keybindings, logs and so on and only the executable will be changed?

1 hour ago, Locath said:

Will folder structure be the same? e.g. profile settings, autorun, keybindings, logs and so on and only the executable will be changed?

Yes, the launcher (or rather, the wrapper) will be installed in a separate directory from the Wurm user files, nothing changes about those.

• Like 2

I'm not a Mac user, but you mention current installs break on the 11th, but the new Mac launcher is coming later in the month. Are they out of luck for a bit?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wurmhole said:

I'm not a Mac user, but you mention current installs break on the 11th, but the new Mac launcher is coming later in the month. Are they out of luck for a bit?

No, that's the part with new JNLPs - Mac users can still use those to play in the meantime.

• Like 2

Will this affect the launcher for test server as well? 

Also I strongly hope new launcher / new JNLP will be out some time before the server start to give time everyone to redownload etc.

6 hours ago, Oluffus said:

Will this affect the launcher for test server as well? 

Yes, the new installer can make an additional shortcut in which you can choose the client you want to run - so you run the test client from the new executable.

The update will happen after server shutdown just so it doesn't break on anyone during actual gameplay.

Will the old ways, starting over javaws, be invalid after the update? At the moment, I am able just to issue a '/usr/java/latest/bin/javaws "http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp" ' from any xterm or icon on all of my boxes, and wurm starts.

Get me right, I appreciate the new launcher, and consider it the right way given the fishy politics of Oracle with Java. And I shall certainly use it. But I would like if the fallback would exist for a while if possible.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

55 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Will the old ways, starting over javaws, be invalid after the update?

From my understanding, no.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:26 PM, Samool said:

as well as the fixed JNLPs, will be put both in this post and on the Wurm Online website.

There will be new JNLPs; assuming the fixed JNLP will be put in place of the old one at the web URL, which it obviously should and likely will, because why keep the broken JNLP there, your way will still work. Those who have the JNLP on their own machine will merely have to redownload it. (Unless that's just a shortcut at javaws and the web URL as a parameter aswell, would have to check what exactly it put on the desktop under Windows. I'll surely find out later anyway.)

I reckon this is the last time they renew the certificate though and only do it as a fallback while all quirks of the native launcher are being hammered out.

• Like 2

When it goes live the play button will lead to a download page with all the versions available there

5tt9h5x.png

• Like 1

will i be able to use more than one account at once, now that it is an executable?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Play button will lead to a download page with all the versions available there

5tt9h5x.png

No I hit play and it took me into the game.  Please explain why I didnt have to do anything since you told me I could not get into the  game unless I did something today.

1 minute ago, Gylnne said:

No I hit play and it took me into the game.  Please explain why I didnt have to do anything since you told me I could not get into the  game unless I did something today.

Because it's not live yet. It will go live after the downtime

Will we need to put all our passwords in again?  

5 minutes ago, Annette said:

Will we need to put all our passwords in again?  

Yeah that could be a pita if thats the case

No, it'll all be the exact same, the team has been running on it for the past few days. 

great news Retro and ty for the reply, know you must be busy.....

It's out now! The post has been updated with a link, please give it a try.

If you need to use the JNLPs still, you need to clear your Java cache and download the jnlp again.

Instructions on how to clear Java cache:

Good news, I'm able to download and install it.

Bad news: AVG considers it as a hostile file, so it's put in quarantine. Guess I'm forced to use the old launcher until AVG considers it a safe file.

*grmbl*

Thorin :)

Any way to stop the clients stacking in the taskbar please?