Sign in to follow this  
HexD

Nexus Gates

Freedom cluster starter town gate network for fast travel that has to be maintained by players community events.

Gates will use power every time they are used and when they are low, a message will announce a charging event will trigger soon and another message on the final use announcing the gate has powered down and a charging event has triggered. Once powered down the area around the spawns some sort of energy nodes, energy monsters and some energy wells. These three things are the sources of energy for the gate and each one suits a different player type. 

Nodes: Are harvest able nodes that use a random skill, mining, digging, woodcutting, that sort of thing, that provide energy crystals

Monsters: Killed and life force collected.

Wells: Used to sacrifice energy crystals, life force and also has a ability to channel favor from priests directly, using the 'Altar' spell or something.

All I got for now, seems I got distracted during this idea.

Sorry I'm not understanding how you plan to recharge these gates, can you elaborate on the energy nodes, energy monsters and energy wells? Right now, i'm just trying to understand but it looks way to technical for the current age of this game currently "Year of 1084.", were barley even out of the viking age 793–1066 AD.

Now you might say this is a game and historically not accurate with our timeline, while you'd be correct. This world of Wurm is more inclined to a magical alternative universe of earth rather than a scifi/fantasy world given some of the technology in the game like viking ships. So because it's more based on realism and you're mentioning science fiction based technology that we don't even have in our modern world. I'm not sure how this would work at all. 

The gates itself are kind of not technically there and shouldn't really be considered as part of the lore.

• Like 1

Seems like rifts just instead of making runes with the materials you charge fast-travel portals? Make the monsters similar to the ones from the rifts and it could easily fit into the lore. They come from Sol or Valrei, or something. Each portal has a limited number of uses and has to be recharged at a certain point which triggers the event. Maybe make it possible to fast travel to far places on the map so it adds some incentive to charge the portals? But don't add too many fast travel nodes or you cheapen other methods of travel.

The event spawns the nodes, monsters and the wells, much like a rift event would. Players collect energy from the various sources and have it consumed via the wells where it contributes to charging the gate. The mechanics are very similar to current rifts, only the manner in which they are used is different. Crafters would gather energy from the nodes, fighters would hunt the monsters which are passive until attacked but are quite tough and priests can funnel favor into the wells to supply energy, perhaps priests need to funnel their favor and need to use the energy gathered from nodes and monsters as saccables to replenish their favor.

Was talking to someone and we discussed there needing to be an element of danger/complexity. The energy could come in multiple forms, like red, green and blue for arguments sake. The event will randomly require a specific colour that changes throughout and if you harvest the wrong colour, you get zapped. The more you get zapped the more damage you receive, so maybe on your third zap you'll die.

The gates would be a network between all starter towns on freedom.

I like the idea of the monsters being of the spirit world, like ethereal beings hovering around. 

As for the technological aspect, the gates would be magical, simple rune circles on the ground or stone arches, nothing too crazy.

Or how about portals operate like space travel in Warhammer 40k. Literal portals through hell. You go to a mini-map ( 128? 64? ) that only spawns champions+ with zero drops and no skill gains. Make it so you have a cooldown between uses ( so you have to stay in "hell" for a period ). Say, 30 seconds plus your FS to keep an element of danger, but allow you to use the portals even when in combat.

or just use rift hearts to charge a stone in starting towns

Seems needlessly convoluted for a starter town network, which should be just free, perhaps with a cooldown. Having to go to and from a starter town will usually include some sort of traditional travelling method on either end anyway, so they don't take anything away from them except potentially hours upon hours of enabling autowalk and trying not to fall asleep.

+1 to a playermade version of this though.

But I don't like the idea of "eventising" the recharge either, because you're essentially forcing a downtime on it that may interrupt a the flow of some logistical endeavour with hours of works for recharging it. I'd rather see gradually more monsters and nodes spawn as the gate gets depleted; as if using it released energies that materialize around a general area of the gate. This has multiple effects:

• The amount of nodes and monsters in the gates area serve as an indicator for its charge level.
  • It can be charged at ones leisure
  • Charging it completely requires a lot of dilligence and work, finding every last node and monster that has been spawned. The incentive to charge a gate completely or to some higher degree would be given by using more charge the longer you travel. Jumping to another server may discharge it completely.

In any case, I also think it should work similar to the teleporters in Starbound: you have to travel to and physically interact with a gate so it is known to your character. No thousands of interconnected gates going everywhere made by whoever (in the palyermade version), if you have a reason to regularly visit somewhere, you can travel there at least once. So the gates themselves are not linked per se, it's more like your character knows the coordinates to put into it.

6 hours ago, HexD said:

using the 'Altar' spell or something.

You mean "Vessel"? That'd be the closest existing spell that'd appropiately fit this function.

Rolf once said he was looking into portals or your nexus gates... with some kind of more or less expensive 'ticket' to use them.

The ticket idea or token or whatever, might be better than the whole community recharge thingy... because we all know how it's going to end... the same peeps will charge the gate... and right when they will have a use for it, it will be drained by everyone else who used it without caring... just like the public traders are.

• Like 1

So I was talking with someone again and it was brought to my attention that maybe people wouldn't want to charge a gate because there's nothing init for them, my answer to this was, share the prize pool of rifts. For participating you get moon metals and all that other jewellery and stuff. 

@OdynnThe gates wouldn't be so quickly drained. Maybe with 10000 uses before needing a recharge.

@FlubbI do like the idea of people just being able to go a gate and actively charge it without an event. I switched to the event idea as to bring activity to the game for the community but yeah, I like either idea. People could grind their priests there, newbs could get some skills toiling away on the nodes and players looking for a tougher monster to fight it'd also create activity at starter towns, making the world feel less dead. Perhaps making an event out of a boss monster that spawns after killing so many smaller ones, something to bring people together.

Physically activating gates before use is a good idea too. 

Yeah Vessel makes sense, I thought Altar because it doesn't really have much of a use.

Edited by HexD

To get an altar to work for your deity, you use bless, bless is now used for both lamps and transmutation liquid, so the spell got some love... And i doubt you want to use the break altar spell on it. :P

10000 uses would be quite excessive. Rolf view on the system was to use it occasionally and with some cost involved... hence the idea of tokens. And I totally agree with that idea, something so powerfull can't be too cheap or too easy to access.

Maybe a middle ground could be found by activating the (private or not) gates as a community event (small or large, doesn't matter)... and then using them to warp around with crafted tokens (maybe using gems, alloys like the new electrum... or ressources from that frontier server... and if needed, charging them up through vessel).

Anyway the idea is worth it and even the big boss thought about it years ago... and it would be quite necessary nowadays seeing the distance between servers, the lower and lower population and events being located only on a few... be it rifts, impalongs (or maybe soon new public uniques slayings).

AND more important, we know most of the code is already there, since you can warp between epic home servers to elevation main towns or it's used by the GMs for events... or save someone from a silly situation.

May as well go the way they have it in Ultima Online .

You can mark a rune , add it to a book and teleport to it or open a gate that cost more energy that lets stays open for only so long .

You will have to go to said point to mark the rune first .

Only starter towns will be auto points added to the book .

Just need find a recharge or energy that everyone can do not just high skill players .

No way this should take place within starter towns. The location should be in some isolated area far away from them and difficult to get to. This location is even worse than Rifts which can still be quite close to active deeds with their mobs and deforestation. Denied!

=Ayes=

Making them far away from everything and hard to get too, kind of defeats the purpose. Not sure what you're imagining but the events wouldn't alter starter towns terrain or trees or anything that drastic like an actual rift does. Instead some passive mobs will be floating around, a few nodes placed in convenient places and a couple wells/altars. They could even be persistent things placed by dev team and just used as needed, rather than randomly spawned each event.

I say 10000 because I think, too low of a number and having players recharge them too often would become a chore and players would resent it. Although, your idea about the gates requiring a charged token would solve that. Tokens requiring a special energy infused by priests would be good. I definitely think the energy sources should be at starter towns though, that's very important. It brings players to the starter town creating activity. New players will spawn in, probably speak to a player in local, see a veteran looking shiny and become inspired and so on. Back when I started, Newtown local was packed, any issues, I just asked in local. Now days we have a global server help chat and even that's bit dead sometimes so bringing life back to starter towns is very important, giving players a reason to be at starter towns is a great way to do it. 

A combination of both works too, 1000 uses on the gate but players are still required to have a token, token being the steering wheel on the network and the gate being the wheels.

I'd like a solution that allows fast travel around a huge server, like Xanadu. We already have the double hop sailing kludge to get to the other side, so why not something else. (Not everyone cares to spend their precious gaming time on a boat.)

Could have rift event portals and then return portals to starter towns near the rift beacon. Portals are just like priest summons, except you can get back home easier. This could make it easier for people that want to rift, but can't due to travel constraints.

Love the portal "charging" idea, and I'd like some kind of crafting item sink. Imagine having to sacrifice "12 rare spindles"! (why do i have 5 of these?)

I'd love to see some kind of portal system.  But I wouldn't like it linked to events or needing to be charged or anything like that.  I feel that would be an over-complication that could lead to all kinds of problems and become more hassle than it's worth.

Personally I think the Highway Portal System in WU is perfect.  Player made portals on deeds have to be linked into the highway system to work and you can only port to portals on your particular highway system.  In addition, I'd love to see portals that link all of the starter towns to each other, with one main portal per server, in one of the starter towns, that goes to the other servers. 

• Like 1

Isn't some of the most fun in wurm leaving your deed and enjoying the community on a trip somewhere?

I feel like through the expansion of mail, shipping, and highways, we are moving farther towards a game you never leave deed.

Then, by adding portals aren't we just making it even more lazy?

54 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Isn't some of the most fun in wurm leaving your deed and enjoying the community on a trip somewhere?

Yeah, when you actually are where the community is.

Taking several hours to even get there, on the other hand, is no fun at all, and if anything, is a reason for me to not leave the deed and rely on mail and wagoners instead if I can help it at all and just skip events unless they're close by or really worth it. Portals (or any sort of automatic or fast travel, really) would actually counter that by making leaving ones deed more viable.

• Like 1

Those of us who play on some of the WU servers that have Portals for traveling have seen the positive aspects of getting to other far reaching locations swiftly. They work in various ways on the different servers but my favorite is the lightweight Teleporter that is carried in Inventory. With this then you can add your deed to it if wanted or if not then you can still teleport to any other deed that has added theirs to this system. You can even add your name too and players can then teleport directly to your location. It gets recharged with Favor but anyone can be a Priest there with all spells available and no penalties. Can even create Favor recharging items from rock shards.

I am not suggesting that WO go to this extent but as Amadee mentioned, even just Portals in every server Starter Village to every other Starter Village on all PvE servers would be very beneficial to all players wanting to gather for player created events or just to visit other servers. Just simplify the system like this without any player need to create or maintain them. Minus the mob infestations too of course.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

I feel like through the expansion of mail, shipping, and highways, we are moving farther towards a game you never leave deed.

Then, by adding portals aren't we just making it even more lazy?

Just the opposite, in my experience on WU servers that have fast travel.  I believe that ungodly travel times, especially when you can only play for an hour or so, is one of the reasons people rarely leave their deeds.  Cause & effect. People look at the effects without analyzing possible causes and just chalk it up to laziness.  On servers that have fast travel in WU, I see people out and about all over the place all the time.  Go figure.  :)

Having a book with 5 slots , 1 for your deed and 4 spare for places you mark would be handy .

You can only have 1 book and use favour to recharge it since a lot of players are followers anyways .

You can ether recall or open a gate that's last only so long  ..

Wen I started Wurm I figured they were going down the same path as UO for awhile some of the setups are nice ...