Sign in to follow this  

I will save the date on my flip up phone.

=Lockdown=

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

the team should try to publish this development a bit in the outside world, especially, if any possible, in gaming magazines and portals (not just sandboxer.org only), and on steam.

That. I always wondered why the game was not listed on steam, maybe even freely added to anyone who bought WU with a first free premium month as an incentive to play. There are options for it not to be listed in the store, but we could still broaden the game visibility and use steam game news as a way to tell WU players who are no looking on this forum '"hey, we have new content online, why not check it out, you might like it!"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

I did try to add some humor in there to break it up but the salt tide surge is stronk no one even laughed at it.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Odynn said:

That. I always wondered why the game was not listed on steam, maybe even freely added to anyone who bought WU with a first free premium month as an incentive to play. There are options for it not to be listed in the store, but we could still broaden the game visibility and use steam game news as a way to tell WU players who are no looking on this forum '"hey, we have new content online, why not check it out, you might like it!"

I think there is one good reason to avoid steam at the moment; WO will get review bombed as pay to win.  They need to up their free to play offering before they take on steam...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Just one note: As the new Elevation map and game mechanics are being implemented this week, the team should try to publish this development a bit in the outside world, especially, if any possible, in gaming magazines and portals (not just sandboxer.org only), and on steam. I don't know whether CCAB ever issued a press release, at least never saw one.

Oh, you mean actual public relations? No sorry, we don't do that.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

(stuff)

Always upvote Bil Nye! (and damn, he was young in that one!)

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

WO will get review bombed as pay to win

I believe reviews can be turned off and what I proposed would only make it accessible to owners of WU. Just like TES V : Skyrim is no longer listed since TES V : Skyrim SE is now the official game. It would only be a first step to increase the visibility (to those who only play WU) and maybe get your many friends (if you have friends) interested in that WO game you are currently playing.

Edited by Odynn

Yep. Was gonna give new Ele a chance to start my pvp carreer after 7-8 years in this game.

But nah. This has reminded me why i dont need that in my life. 

Hopefully those who complain, every single time something is done to make this game better, soon will understand youre the problem, not the developers or the game.

See you on freedom pve. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Nordlys said:

Yep. Was gonna give new Ele a chance to start my pvp carreer after 7-8 years in this game.

But nah. This has reminded me why i dont need that in my life. 

Hopefully those who complain, every single time something is done to make this game better, soon will understand youre the problem, not the developers or the game.

See you on freedom pve. :)

Easy to say that now, but without any proof I'm afraid I just don't believe you. Sorry man.

25 minutes ago, Olloch said:

Easy to say that now, but without any proof I'm afraid I just don't believe you. Sorry man.

Ok. :)

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

That. I always wondered why the game was not listed on steam,

I'm curious if the 30% fee for transactions applies to free games on Steam as well. Or how would they be captured if this is the case. 

EDIT: By transactions i mean premium time and currency purchases for the free games.

Edited by Locath

Having some experience with the ins and outs of Steam, we'd have to outright ban account/item/silver sales to be listed on Steam. Our current stance is obviously hands-off, but that wouldn't be enough.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keenan said:

*sad panda image*

4uhM6X0.jpg

?

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

Having some experience with the ins and outs of Steam, we'd have to outright ban account/item/silver sales to be listed on Steam. Our current stance is obviously hands-off, but that wouldn't be enough.

ugh balls... didn't even thought that would be an issue. >_>

2 hours ago, Locath said:

EDIT: By transactions i mean premium time and currency purchases for the free games.

I'd have said... meh... don't put a thing on steam and just let the player go through the wurm store normally... but maybe Steam wants to grab cash through any means and thats just a bad idea.

That being said.. if Steam is a bad idea, what about Discord @Keenan? They seems to want to add good games to their listing... and have already a bunch of free-to-play ones.

22 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

What account you rocking on these days Jay?

TheyCallMeRustles

gr8 name trash skills

Hello devs,

On the devstream you said you wanted feedback on the changes to Epic, so here goes.

I'm a returning player, with little interest in the new Elevation map. Temporary maps just don't do it for me. I'm all for PvP, and I feel PvP is essential to WO (I would only ever live on Epic, never saw the point in Freedom). That said, PvP at the expense of everything else is pointless. Buildings, infrastructure, and other stuff, are all required, precisely in order to generate the possibility of loss/acquisition, and thereby generate the risk that makes PvP exciting. In fact the reason I've been gone for 3 or 4 years is because the old Elevation reset wiped out my deed. I lost everything, and since I could not face rebuilding at that time then there was no reason to continue. I was quite literally knocked out by the devs, rather than burnout, boredom, or other players.

Of course I understand that something had to be done to revitalise Epic, I get it. However, I'm very cautious about investing time building a position in WO if it's doomed to get vaporised by the devs again.

For now I will be fine pottering around on Desertion, preparing to get ready to go raiding. If all goes well and I decide to stick with it, then in a few months I'll probably want to build a deed on Desertion; except I have questions about this.

• 150 Max digging slope
  • 60 max surface mining slope/tunneling slope
  • 5 Drain deed disbands

Does this apply to Desertion (and other Epic home servers), or only the new Elevation map? As a solo builder on Desertion this would not be helpful to me, and might even prevent me from doing what I need to do. Basically the only viable way for me to build a deed is to use high dirt walls (with longhouses) and steel mine doors, as anything less is going to get worked over pretty fast. Even if we could put a deed token inside a mine...the horses ?

I'm uncertain as to the thinking behind this. Is it to make deeds more vulnerable, or to force players to work together to produce viable deeds? Either way, in a game where the population is dwindling already, this seems like a risky move. It would seem unwise to discourage solo builders at this point? I suspect many players will be building for themselves, as it's hard to find other players to build with now.

• Meditation abilities over level 9 no longer work
  • Characteristics and Fighting related skills receive less combat bonus in the higher levels(scaling)

Not happy about this. I understand that you want to even the field to give newer players a chance, but removing hard-earned bonuses from older players can only disincentivise them. There has to be a point and rewards for PvP in return for all the grinding, and those rewards have to matter. No matter how advanced the player, they're always at risk of getting noobswarmed.

Anyway, I don't want to appear overly negative, and hope that Epic survives long into the future. I'm just worried that it will take on a "Challenge"-type form in which I am not in the least bit interested.

As to the other changes that have been made since I've been gone, like bridges, and building inside mines...awesome. These are all impressive, and although not limited to Epic, it's great to see this development still taking place.

Edit: I just found this somewhere else on the forum:

"Map Reset Specific Changes (Elevation Only)

• Reduce the max slope you can dig to something under 300 while keeping the skill you need to dig it the same.
    • This will make creating massive dirt walls a bit harder and allow more people to help build deeds instead of requiring 99+ digging accounts to finish walls.
  • Reduce the max rock you can surface mine and place mine doors on while keeping the skill required the same.
    • Rock pits are an issue as they add onto dirt walls, though with mine door restrictions below might not be needed feed back on this appreciated."

Which answers these questions. I'll leave the post as is though; can't be assed going through it and editing it again.

Edited by Mowglia
Found new information

16 hours ago, Mowglia said:

I'm uncertain as to the thinking behind this. Is it to make deeds more vulnerable, or to force players to work together to produce viable deeds? Either way, in a game where the population is dwindling already, this seems like a risky move. It would seem unwise to discourage solo builders at this point? I suspect many players will be building for themselves, as it's hard to find other players to build with now.

On a pvp server people should be expected to defend their deed.

16 hours ago, Mowglia said:

• Meditation abilities over level 9 no longer work
  • Characteristics and Fighting related skills receive less combat bonus in the higher levels(scaling)

Not happy about this. I understand that you want to even the field to give newer players a chance, but removing hard-earned bonuses from older players can only disincentivise them. There has to be a point and rewards for PvP in return for all the grinding, and those rewards have to matter. No matter how advanced the player, they're always at risk of getting noobswarmed.

Could you please explain how this de-incentives players? You said this on the other thread and did not explain it well there either. 

SoTG has been balanced, and rebalanced again because the high tier meditation paths are not fun on a pvp server.

• Like 1

Sure, we'd try to defend a deed, but if you're there alone or with only a few players, you can't be online all the time? Gotta sleep sometime. And most people have to work, so that's 16 hours of the day your average person won't be around. If you can slow the enemy down so you at least have a chance of logging on while they're at it, I don't see a problem with that.

Explaining the disincentive for players with SotG (and other hard-earned stats) is easy. I spent a long time grinding this. I didn't complain that other more advanced players had it, just sucked it up and worked on getting it myself. Finally I got it, maybe two weeks ago? I really feel like I earned every tick too. But wait...oh no, sorry, that's too overpowered now. Gotta give the "new players" a break, so byebye SotG ?

To say I feel robbed is about the understatement of the century. That's putting it mildly. Completely burned! And for what? So some "new players" get PvP a bit easier? This is Wurm Lite. If players don't like grinding long-time for their rewards then perhaps Wurm isn't the ideal game for them.

So yeah, "disincentivises" pretty much covers it. I know because I'm one of the players who feels severely disincentivised by this kind of nerf. And with talk of possible future skill resets too; well let's just say I'm watching how this develops closely before I commit any serious time to Wurm. As far as I'm concerned this is all going in the wrong direction. I don't mind starting with no gear, but nerfing stats is a whole different and distinctly unappealing issue.

2 hours ago, Mowglia said:

Sure, we'd try to defend a deed, but if you're there alone or with only a few players, you can't be online all the time? Gotta sleep sometime. And most people have to work, so that's 16 hours of the day your average person won't be around. If you can slow the enemy down so you at least have a chance of logging on while they're at it, I don't see a problem with that.

Sorry but if you cannot defend your deed, you do not deserve to have one. I suggest bunking with another village.

Explaining the disincentive for players with SotG (and other hard-earned stats) is easy. I spent a long time grinding this. I didn't complain that other more advanced players had it, just sucked it up and worked on getting it myself. Finally I got it, maybe two weeks ago? I really feel like I earned every tick too. But wait...oh no, sorry, that's too overpowered now. Gotta give the "new players" a break, so byebye SotG ?

Again it is not an incentive. I fail to see your point. SotG is just a buff, that is all. I am sorry you spent a long time grinding it, my I recommend, going to chaos. Again SotG has been reworked to death because it sucks, fully stop. This is an agreed upon point by people who actually play the game. Hey guess what I have SotG too. Since no one has it there is no loss incentive. 

If you are buying a car you want and it comes with free satellite radio as an incentive, that is great.

If you are buying a car you want and there is no mention of satellite radio for that car you aren't missing anything. It was never offered.

To say I feel robbed is about the understatement of the century. That's putting it mildly. Completely burned! And for what? So some "new players" get PvP a bit easier? This is Wurm Lite. If players don't like grinding long-time for their rewards then perhaps Wurm isn't the ideal game for them.

Dude you aren't getting it, you really aren't. Your work is not in vain, because it is a non-factor. You aren't getting burned. Your skill is still there. This only applies to elevation WHICH YOU DO NOT EVEN WANT TO LIVE ON.

So yeah, "disincentivises" pretty much covers it. I know because I'm one of the players who feels severely disincentivised by this kind of nerf. And with talk of possible future skill resets too; well let's just say I'm watching how this develops closely before I commit any serious time to Wurm. As far as I'm concerned this is all going in the wrong direction. I don't mind starting with no gear, but nerfing stats is a whole different and distinctly unappealing issue.

You have no idea what you are talking about lmao.

Edited by FranktheTank

On 7/9/2019 at 12:15 PM, Keenan said:

That's odd. I wonder how Eve Online gets away with having account salesin-game item sales, and obviously selling isk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:

That's odd. I wonder how Eve Online gets away with having account salesin-game item sales, and obviously selling isk.

Eve sales are for ISK, which be used to purchase plex, but not sold for RL currency. 

https://www.eveonline.com/article/buying-isk-for-real-money-is-not-allowed

It'd be the same as allowing item and account sales only for silver, but banning silver selling. RMT does not exist in eve the same as it does in wurm, you can put real money into eve and gain things, but you can not turn anything in eve into real money without breaking their ToS

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Eve sales are for ISK, which be used to purchase plex, but not sold for RL currency. 

https://www.eveonline.com/article/buying-isk-for-real-money-is-not-allowed

It'd be the same as allowing item and account sales only for silver, but banning silver selling. RMT does not exist in eve the same as it does in wurm, you can put real money into eve and gain things, but you can not turn anything in eve into real money without breaking their ToS

This is true. Been playing EVE since 2008 and never seen or even heard of sanctioned RMT. Does it happen? Sure, just like any other game. But if they find you (and they will, they actively hunt rmt'ers) they will ban both the buyer and the seller. They have a zero tolerance policy against rmt.

After reading through seven pages of crap in this thread, I'm really wondering why I'm still playing WO.

Yes, that's right, I'm considering leaving this game, it's UTTERLY TOXIC community, the staff and the money I invested in it.

The reasons:

1) The community behaviour.

We got PvP vs PvE groups, we got PvP vs PvP groups, we got PvP vs Staff groups, we got PvE vs Staff groups.

What we don't have is a comUNITY.

Even in this thread I see people fighting like cats and dogs over a staff decission; either being it an exploit or not doesn't matter.

Fact is, it was close to an exploit and if a player is playing as long as that angry one we got here, that angry one also COULD have known that they were very close to breaking the rules. At that point you got three choices, either not doing it or continuing or contacting the staff and asking them if it's ok to do so.

Reading through that angry's person's post I see a LOT of accusations towards a staff member. Not ONCE!!, I repeat, NOT ONCE!! I see that person saying  that anyone of that group contacted a staff member to ask if there's a risk involved.

While I can understand that people don't check the forum every 5 minutes while they're ingame, I can't understand why a staff member wasn't contacted. Because afaik there's always a GM, CA or other staff member online.

Yet, instead of accepting as an adult (wo)man, the angry person kept on whining like that little girl hugging her my little pony in her bedroom. Perhaps that angry person should consider to grow up for a chance. And admit that (s)he made a mistake as well.

2) more community behaviour

A while ago a good player and friend of mine at Xanadu got an IP ban after telling two staff members to "###### off".

The reason for that, a certain player - coincidally the angry one in this topic - kept fueling his anger about some things, resulting in a flame war in a certain thread and eventually two staff members having to interfere. Yet, the person who was actually responsible for the flame war never got punished. But at the same time, freaks out when others in the sermon group are. Speaking of unjustice justice.

I've seen several members here - and for some reason they're all PvP players, not sure if that's a coincidence - doing a lot of mud throwing at other members at the community. For some reason, that same group refuses to understand this game is a PvP and PvE game and you simply can't please both groups. So every time the staff comes up with a change that affects both, it's the PvP community yelling and whining, forgetting that what affects them, affects others as well. Including the other PvP players; which means it balances things eventually.

However, because of all the toxic behaviour, Epic got drained the moment it was possible to move your char to freedom.

Chaos isn't a PvP server anymore, because most of the players once living there are now living at Freedom and only gather for a raid.

Makes me wonder if there's really PvP or if it has moved to the Forums instead. Either way, PvP kinda killed itself because of the behaviour of players and / or the loss of interest of others. And it won't be the last server it'll happen to.

3) even more community behaviour:

A PvP player decides to volunteer to create the map. As soon as his name becomes public - I'm not sure if that was done on purpose or by accident - some of the other PvP players immediately accuse them that the kingdom he's in will have an advantage in fights because he knows the map.

They never bother to inform if he's still going to play on epic. They never bother to inform is he's actually going to join the group if they're planning the raid. They just assume he'll do everything he got to make his kingdom the strongest on Epic.

In my country we got a saying " Zoals de waard is, vertrouwt hij zijn gasten"; which more or less translates as "As the landlord is, he trusts his guests." I think the ones accusing a VOLUNTEER of cheating, should look at themselves. The fact THEY would do that, doesn't mean HE would do that.

4) and a lot more community behaviour:

The moment a new player cuts down a tree, half the server is on fire. The moment a settled player cuts down a tree, the only comment you got is: Yeah well, I'm not living there anyway; ignoring the fact others actually are living there.
The moment a new player digs at the side of the road, the other half of the server is on fire. The moment settled players dig at sides of the road, you hear no-one complain.

Then there's alt abuse at rifts and unique slayings using the excuse that it's done because of the economics. Economics? My arse. It's done because of greed and nothing else.
A dragon or drake set would give the seller 80-130 silver. That means they have to set up 81-131 deeds for one silver upkeep a month to run into negative costs. Considering those deeds usually last a few days, their costs are far less as that one silver.

At the same time we got players deeding mountainsides to carve out tunnels for highway projects. Those deeds last several weeks or months, but the players doing the hard job never see an iron in return. All they got - if they're lucky - is other players helping them and supporting them with mats. If that doesn't happen they even have to buy the tools and mats themselves.

So the elitist hunting groups are only formed because of the economics demanding they have to get a profit from all the deeds? Like I said before, my arse!

And the countless alts waiting for a rift to close are just there because of the economics? Again, my arse!

If I'd bring my entire family to a construction job and getting paid 20 euro's while sunbathing all day, while others were actually building a house for the same 20 euro's, it's called abuse and unfair. Yet, in WO this is economics? Like I said before, my arse!

5) "The game is dying" comment.

The game isn't dying. It's being killed by the community.

The  things I mentioned above are just a tip of the iceberg.

There's simply too much toxity between player and staff interest and the moment anyone even thinks about bringing the groups together,  that person's ignored or being attacked at all sides.

For a while I've been using the phrase "No matter what the Dev's do, whiners gonna whine" in CA- help and Freedom chat after some people complained about a change made to the game.

I never realized how right that statement is. Even now there's tried hard to give the game better looks, players are complaining about lag, fps drop etc. accusing the dev's causing it. For some reason, no matter what is done, it's never good enough and problems are always caused by them (the staff / dev's), not me. I think I kinda mentioned that earlier with that certain angry angel in mind.

Another thing related to that "the game is dying" comment, is that we won't get new players. Why should they? I mean, if a game is dying, why would you invest time and money in it, if you risk the game not being available anymore.

After all, NO-ONE right of mind would enter an electronics shop to buy that q-led tv, knowing the shop is going bankrupt and the guarantee won't work after that. I know I won't.

So, can things be changed? Perhaps, but it takes an effort I'm unsure members are willing to take.

First of all should the staff ignore certain loudmouths for a change. It's always the same players having comments about what the staff plans and it's always the same players who're negative about it. I got the feeling they rather have all players still running around with the starter clothing and a sharp pointy stick, as where we are now.

Second of all, the staff should listen to the people making intelligent comments; hoping the game would improve. I've seen Etherdrifter doing that several times, yet NOT ONE of the things he pointed out has ever been taken into account. However, the moment one of the loudmouths creates a post about things he or she didn't like, the change is reverted.

I know there's a vocal minorty and a non-vocal majority. However, the moment a vocal minorty decides what the silent majority has to do or accept in a game, the game becomes elitist. Which is something that certainly isn't good for the game itself. 

Third: players should stop venting their anger about staff member behaviour in public. If you got a problem with a staff member, solve it in a PM, not in a non-related forum topic. In the end both you and the staff member got hurt and the only impression you leave behind is that you and a staff member are having a personal grief. Not to mention, it's not real good advertising about this game and its staff.

Personally, I've had good experiences with the staff, although at some point I too got pretty pissed off when getting the "It's not beautiful enough" message when trying to get herritage for a tunnel. However a personal conversation with a staff member explaining why that rule is made and getting some hints and tips as how to achieve it being "more beautiful". The only reason things worked out, was because I decided to keep an open mind despite my anger, because that herritage was done for the benefit of the community; not for me. And on a side note, I never seen any iron in return from all the materials I invested in it. Perhaps I should set up a toll-booth or something?

Fourth: Staff members are people too. They eat, they sleep, got ill, they fart and have to take bathroombreaks. However, too often I've seen  that the moment a player files a support ticket, (s)he gets angry when a GM isn't responding within 10 minutes, while when that same player asks if someone is online and get the message (s)he isn't, replies with: OK, I'll wait a bit longer then.

Using double standards doesn't help the game. Not when players doing it or when staff members are doing it. And usingthem has happened with both groups.

Fifth: It's time the elitists in this game realize there's more as just them playing the game. When you get to the point where only a small  group of players are hunting uniques, when a small group of players is doing the hard weapon imping at impalongs, when it's the same group of people organizing impalongs every year, when a small group of people have a market monopoly at a server, things are wrong. Very wrong. Still, nothing is done about it and I doubt it ever will because of all kinds of reasons.

Being it the staff not willing to take action or players just accepting things as a given fact and not willing to resist, I dunno. What I do know is that it's lost the fun for me, knowing that I can visit an impalong during X-mas at the same spot as there was one last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the one before that. And so forth.

No matter what, WO needs to change, but I got the feeling that the needed changes are either resisted by the staff or the player base. Or both.

As a result of not willing to change, I've seen the playerbase plummet from 250 players at Xanadu when I started four years ago to 300-ish players in total over all WO servers recently. That's a dramatic decrease which will eventually end up in this game shutting down. The major reason for it is not the staff, but how the community behaves.

And it's that behaviour that's making me wonder if I should play this game as well.

I got my 4 accounts premmed up to somewhere in Januari. One of my deeds got 360 days of upkeep, the other one got 280 days. So I got plenty of time to decide what to do. But considering I just returned to play today and instead found the ###### in this thread, I really wonder what I'm doing here.

More important, if I decide to quit playing, I'm pretty certain two other players may leave as well.

One of those players has already peeked into Chronicles or Elyria and likes that game. It may be possible I just move my ######  to that game and have fun there.

A shame, considering the time I've spend in this game and the things I've done for the community.

But if parts of the community remain as ungrateful and selfish as they are now, there's no need for me to stay here any longer.

And I advise some members here to look in the mirror and ask themselves if it's worth all the crap they're posting compared to the players they're chasing away.

Thorin :(

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

After reading through seven pages of crap in this thread, I'm really wondering why I'm still playing WO.

Yes, that's right, I'm considering leaving this game, it's UTTERLY TOXIC community, the staff and the money I invested in it.

I haven't had time to read through all of what looks like an interesting post, and it's not my place to comment on your personal views, but I would strongly encourage you not to quit because of the toxic community. Maybe just avoid the forums.

There are genuinely decent players out there, and they make WO worth playing. Just find a small bunch of players that you enjoy playing with and focus on them :)

• Like 3

I have also not read all the words yet, but yes, online communities like forums and discords inflate the thoughts of certain people that are not the main members of a game’s community. The loudest people are not always the best reflection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

While I can understand that people don't check the forum every 5 minutes while they're ingame, I can't understand why a staff member wasn't contacted. Because afaik there's always a GM, CA or other staff member online.

If there's nothing anywhere to let people know that something could be off to begin with, why would someone contact a staff member? 

If I wanted to champ to complete my 70 prayer goal knowing I would dechamp back to 50 faith, and I didn't see any post made just before about a sudden penalty for champing, and there were no ingame alerts while going to do it and not before doing it, why would I contact any staff member to do something thats been done for more than a decade?

Should I contact a GM before I drop food in a pile under my pet every time I go to feed it just to be sure I won't be breaking any sudden rules that I would never know to expect?

• Like 1