Sign in to follow this  
Anarres

Boats drifting away naturally without anchor

So, we have this new metal property, "anchor effectiveness". In my understanding, it is supposed to work today, like this:

- lead anchors keep the boat moored, in one place.

-  with anchors in metals like iron, the boat drifts slowly away.

However, it is the case, as far as I'm aware, that boats without anchor don't drift at all (with no commander, of course). That is inconsistent and weird today, when with an anchor they'd move! I'm sure it must have been intended to make them drift. New players were wondering for years if they would, it's kinda common sense.

Can we have them drift please? More than with any anchor, slightly more, but well, more. That makes sense now that we have these inefficient anchors already. Make them useful, at least make them help in SOME measure.

The opposite means you're better off without anchor than an iron one, which just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

odder still, there are no currents, otherwise we'd have dagger/centerboards and our ships/boats wouldn't wobble as we sailed them.
by implementing drift, we kinda need to implement what causes drift.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_and_drift
+1

Edited by Steveleeb

without an anchor your ship can be dragged, pulled/pushed. That is a difference but I agree they should drift them.

I've never tried any anchor but lead so I have no experience of the drifting.

I've wondered even if there was drift for the sub 100% metals what the bonus above 100 could do, anchor your boats with more than 100% effectiveness.

why would a set weight anchor care what metal it was made out of anyway

Edited by armyskin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, armyskin said:

why would a set weight anchor care what metal it was made out of anyway

a tin anchor would be twice as big as lead because lead's mass is almost twice that of tin.
anchors weigh 20kg, if they're to be the same size then the tin one would weigh about 12kg
They can't be the same size (volume) and the same weight (gravity mass) at the same time.

good point army
we should alter the weight of the alternative metals, only then will it make sense. :)
Empyrion has a similiar contradiction at play within its logistics system.

Edited by Steveleeb

No please. I have enough trouble to remember where I parked my wagon after 3 days. Don't want to look for my boat in the middle of ocean because I didn't put anchor (which I never do cuz I always forget it in inventory, and it decays relatively fast in ship cargo so it's more a pain than usefull thing. Haven't used single anchor for a couple of years..

I would lose so many boats becuase of this :(

• Like 1