Sign in to follow this  
Ashta

GLSL Compatibility issue

I am a New player so forgive me if I sound ignorant. I have joined a village and they assisted me in getting started with some gear. I painted the gear and noticed that i couldnt see the newly rendered colors. after rebooting several times and trying several graphics changes we came to the conclusion that it was because i had the glsl setting disabled. I cant see any of the newly added renderings unless this is on core, including several types of painted armor and paver sidewalks and other things. also i noticed that when i have a "moment of inspiration" while i have the glsl on core it does this green swirly thing that doesnt happen when its disabled. the thing is and i dont understand this cause ive used this computer for lots of different games and not had alot of graphics trouble in the past, but if i have that setting on core my average framerate is like 5fps vs 50-60 constant if it is set to disabled. is there something im doing wrong in my settings and if not is there some sort of opengl work around for this cause its having a serious effect on the graphics vs playability of this game. Im on a Windows 7 pc with 12gb of ram and a onboard graphics card that is terrible but this hasnt been an issue before with other games.

OpenGL Shaders for many player added colorings require GLSL, which is "OpenGL Shader Language."   DirectX games probably don't have an issue as they work differently and don;t use GLSL at all.   One of the reasons Wurm has been switching to using shaders more under the new rendering client, as opposed to using separate textures for everything, is because it is so much faster.

Technically, the Steam Wurm requirements list as minimum:

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 DUO or equivalent AMD CPU
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 4xx , Radeon HD 5xxx
    • Storage: 3000 MB available space
    • Additional Notes: Java Version 8

(It can actually run on lesser hardware but it may have issues such as the ones you ran into.)

It's also possible Samool (dev doing the client uprades) can offer some suggestions to help.

Very often, using the newest drivers possible can help a lot with older integrated graphics. On my daughter's desktop with intel graphics, updating her driver from a 9 year old driver to one from 2018 made an enormous difference in framerates.  Use Device Manager to check and see what the current driver date is -- if it is over 3 years old, the older driver is likely holding you back. Don't use Windows Update for this however, as they just give you Microsoft drivers that are geared more for DirectX, and are less competent at openGL processing. Your laptop maker is also unlikely to have newer drivers. Go direct to Intel for the drivers (if you have intel ingrated) as they have the best drivers for gaming on intel. 

Usually the newer Windows 7 drivers seem to have resolved this GLSL issue better than the Win10 drivers, so check the driver dates you have now.

INTEL GRAPHIC DRIVERS: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

sadly im sure its my onboard gpu. Its really frustrating that i cant experience the simple nuances of the game though without suffering a severe fps loss. Thank you. I spent several hours searching for a driver update and im positive that it doesnt exist the latest one is like 4 years old.

Do you have a desktop or a laptop?  If it's a desktop with a PCI-E slot, you can get an inexpensive secondhand GT 730 for about $30. These are extremely low powered so they work great in HP and other chain brand systems that have very weak 250W power supplies. They are super easy to install with just a phillips as you don't need any special power cables, just plug it into the PCI-E slot and switch the monitor to the dedicated card. Sometimes you need to tell in BIOS (Setup) to use dedicated not onboard, but often it figures that out on its own. There are videos that will walk you through it, or you can often find a neighbior or relative willing to pop it in for you.

If it is a laptop, there are fewer options so wait and see whether Samool has any other advice I guess...   

It is a desktop, and ill check into that thank you.

Be wary of friends urging you to spend more on a better card as they usually also require a better power supply, and soon you've spent more than the computer is worth.  The GT730 will be a decent upgrade over the onboard and will run everything you play now, but better and faster.

Ok does it matter that its an amd pc

i tried to upgrade the graphics card once and it fit but wouldnt work. think it was a compatability issue with my motherboard.

Doesn't matter if it is an AMD PC. 

There are sometimes space  issues with very thin microtowers but you said the other one fit ok, and this is a pretty small card. 

In some cases, you will need to do a BIOS UPGRADE (its a free software download)  if an older bios does not recognize the card, and that is likely what happened on your previous try as I had to do a bios upgrade getting an older Vostros  to use this same card, mine also would not work at first but worked great once I updated the bios

Or, it's also possible the earlier card required a beefier power supply and additional power plugins

If you happen to know the computer make and model, i can help look it up.  PM me and we can check first just to confirm a bios upgrade will solve the issue.