Sign in to follow this  
Wiluss

Quality lock on containers.

I wish we had a option on BSB Crates and other container to lock QL we can put inside.

So if we lock BSB on 90QL we canot put inside shards, logs  a lower QL than 90.

• Like 2

We'll be looking into this coming in the next update. 

Our current plans are the lock attached providing the minimum ql, so to lock at 90ql you will need a 90ql lock. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Our current plans are the lock attached providing the minimum ql, so to lock at 90ql you will need a 90ql lock. 

Wouldn't that interfere with its function in PvP, where a higher QL lock is harder to crack? Like you want to store some moonmetal with the best lock you have, but this ends up not allowing it to be stored in there because the lock is better than the MM?

If it's gonna be tied to a QL, what about the bins own quality? And what about BCUs that may currently be arranged in intervals of qualities?

Either way, it'd be great if the quality lock had to be explicitly enabled via a context menu that takes the threshold to apply, even if the maximum threshold is determined by some items quality as you currently plan. (This would also address the first problem)

• Like 1

The quality lock is able to be toggled on and off via a context menu when you attach the lock, meaning you can have high ql locks without the ql locking. 

BCU shelves will be able to be individually set with their own lock and permissions too.

This will only apply to the food storage bin, bulk storage bin, and bulk container unit. Crates will not be able to be locked this way 

Sounds nice!

As a side note as it may encourage to lock a lot of bulk containers that are otherwise left unlocked and we may end up with many locked containers on deeds even with lower level contents. 

Salvaging those places for materials is a great way to make a beginner player's life easier, I remember how happy I was when I found 200x 60ql cotton in my early days in a BSB in the wilderness (was a strange place to find it there though).

• Like 2

Cant think of other use than to protect bsbs with ql100 lumps and such, *overkill* to make exact ql locks etc...
If anything could have been done with ql1 lock or any QL and a setting per bsb to *lock* ql allowed to be stored in with a numeric value...

Hopefully this is not going in as 'default' thing.. that will be a mess to deal with

7 hours ago, Jaz said:

Sounds nice!

As a side note as it may encourage to lock a lot of bulk containers that are otherwise left unlocked and we may end up with many locked containers on deeds even with lower level contents. 

Salvaging those places for materials is a great way to make a beginner player's life easier, I remember how happy I was when I found 200x 60ql cotton in my early days in a BSB in the wilderness (was a strange place to find it there though).

That's true. Locks make most things unsalvageable sadly. I wish there could be some workarounds about that like using lockipicking at certain conditions... Earlier before generic 1ql lockpads where introduced upon creation I even managed to salvage some pmk wagons that I found unlocked by some miracle, drove them to chaos, changed ownership and was so happy about it. In future it looks I won't be even able to loot abandoned bsb ?

• Like 2

Producing a lock of the exact QL required will be a pain, and virtually impossible for 100 QL bins. (I recently made thousands of locks using 100 QL iron on my 70 LS Mag priest, and not one came out at 100 QL.) And I'd hazard that it's 100 QL bins that players will most want these attached to first.

Suggestion: Allow the QL floor to be set within a certain range of the lock's QL. Tentatively, +/-5 QL seems reasonable, or at a minimum +/- 1 QL. 

Why not.. reuse the three holy tiers 50/70/90 for ql <=50, >=70, >=90

On 7/2/2019 at 2:11 AM, Retrograde said:

On 7/2/2019 at 3:47 AM, Retrograde said:

The quality lock is able to be toggled on and off via a context menu when you attach the lock, meaning you can have high ql locks without the ql locking.

So I take it that this is to provide a sort of restrictive QL sorting mechanism? I see it as being very inadequate as compared to the one on many WU servers where these bins "auto-sort" anything dropped into them by 10 QL increments up to 90 QL which then sort 90+ mats by 1 QL increments (90-91-92-93-etc). Then some even offer the ability to toggle this option on and off on the bins/crates. Why not go with this much better option?

Also, what happens with all the existing bins that already have locks attached to them as I see you state that the only way to disable this is by the lock. Maybe some bins have locks on them with the keys destroyed. I guess the lock can still be removed though (?) which then would allow it to be disabled for sorting. Anyway, all this does really is set a variable maximum standard for what is dropped inside which additionally is problematic for those players (most?) who can't make high QL locks. A sort of strange option to be added to the game with some abstract diversionary obtuse thought connected that makes me wonder who came up with this as being a practical idea in contrast to what some WU servers offer as I mentioned above.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

@Retrograde Sounds like a big ol' pain in the f.....PITA to me.  Why does everything have to be a pita?  As Ayes said, the way it works in WU is great.  This.....well I'll just stop there and step away from the keyboard for a while

edit: Ok, so having thought about it.  Basically I think something to accomplish what the OP is wanting to do would be nice, yes.  Like the sorting mod in WU. 

So the devs are now thinking about over-complicating something that doesn't need to be complicated.  Complexity doesn't necessarily equal "good."   Ever heard of the KISS principal?   Too many things in Wurm are getting way more over-complicated than they need to be. Sadly I've come to expect it now though. Every time we get a new so-called feature or convenience, it has to be accompanied by something about it that's guaranteed to p*ss off as many people as possible.  Why is that?  It wouldn't surprise me if things being too over-complicated is one of the things that scares off new people.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1