Sign in to follow this  
platinumteef

why does wurm "commit" so much more memory than it uses

i often run multiple clients, I used to be able to run around 40 comfortably, but since some updates in the past year or so wurm reacts strangely with the memory now

even though most of my wurm processes are only actually using 1gb-2gb, they are upon launch immediately "reserving" upwards of 4GB per sometimes more vastly reducing the overall amount I can run. My overall memory may look something like 13%  in use, but upwards of 45gb/64gb "committed" and if you go over the committed amount, the game immediately crashes

I tried using an executable shortcut with -xms and -xmx to reduce usage, but it simply doesn't work

I also CANNOT use the low memory client, as it runs on an older version of the java or something and has compatibility issues with 144hz monitors so I just won't try it

i also must say these are all toons running absolute minimum settings including no rendering upon loading, it simply doesn't matter

anyone have any ideas around this?

other than not running 40 clients at a time :winkyface:

Manage heapsize with w/e seems to 'work' and not crash the clients?
Downloading the client jnlp file you can see.. 

<j2se
                href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
                version="1.8+"
                            java-vm-args="-XX:+UseG1GC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=8 -XX:+UseStringDeduplication"
                                        initial-heap-size="512m"
                                />

Which was not there ~2-3years ago.. this must have shown up SOME time after the minimal etc.. client presets were created.

Have you tried to use some of the minecraft optimizations that other use to optimize mc servers/clients, in other words more than -xmx 

btw .. holy **** **** **** ***** *******, ****! 40 clients.. what the **** are you doing with that few of them?

Low memory client codewise is 100% the same as the stable, it's just the memory settings that are different - if yours has issues compared to the stable client, try removing it fully and reinstalling (delete cache too), it should switch over to the default version of Java you've got installed.

-xms and -xmx were always very random to work, that's why we did the low mem client - that has -xmx1G, which means the heap memory won't go over 1GB (mind you the usage will be always somewhat higher, since there's different types of memory used)

If the compatibility issues you mean is the slow first loading in of the launcher, that'll be fixed once the Preview client replaces stable (so low mem is preview as well) - that should come pretty soon.

13 hours ago, Samool said:

Low memory client codewise is 100% the same as the stable, it's just the memory settings that are different - if yours has issues compared to the stable client, try removing it fully and reinstalling (delete cache too), it should switch over to the default version of Java you've got installed.

-xms and -xmx were always very random to work, that's why we did the low mem client - that has -xmx1G, which means the heap memory won't go over 1GB (mind you the usage will be always somewhat higher, since there's different types of memory used)

If the compatibility issues you mean is the slow first loading in of the launcher, that'll be fixed once the Preview client replaces stable (so low mem is preview as well) - that should come pretty soon.

yeah, the low mem client actually fixes the 'commited memory' issue, but again as stated its completely unusable even after manually deleting EVERYTHING from my java configuration cache and redownloading, it still has the slow loading of launcher where it brings my pc to a complete unusable crawl for like 1 minute. I'll be waiting around for the low mem - preview then if I understand you correctly. hopefully the swapping over of from stable to preview isn't whats causing the whole "committed memory" issue to begin with or im back to square one

hopefully sooner than later! thank you

The new launcher that went live today has a low memory version of the preview client, try it out - it'll make a shortcut named "choose client" where you can pick the lowmem version.

2 hours ago, platinumteef said:

still only "using" a little over 1gb, but committing 4gb

Low mem is commiting 4gb? It has a hard set limit of 1gb for heap, but other memory types shouldn't have that much commited, they should take only what they need.

1 minute ago, Samool said:

Low mem is commiting 4gb? It has a hard set limit of 1gb for heap, but other memory types shouldn't have that much commited, they should take only what they need.

0958913fe89ca2bc3b555c92acaf5de3.png

43e0b2639b2e6466d842504c02ec8618.png

thats immediately after loading a low memory client

I don't know what that is, the actual memory commited to the process is shown in the processes tab of the Task Manager: gC7qtiM.png

That's all the process takes, no idea what Windows commits other than that, but it's not on the client.

10 minutes ago, Samool said:

I don't know what that is, the actual memory commited to the process is shown in the processes tab of the Task Manager: gC7qtiM.png

That's all the process takes, no idea what Windows commits other than that, but it's not on the client.

its the advanced tab for memory processes in the task manager

low memory client:

fcd87e62cf15704290590d83069d65e0.png

That's normal, it's nothing we can affect - that doesn't mean it's using 4gb of ram, as some of that is the page file, as some will be reduced when the system actually needs the memory.

Every process does the same thing:

NxGa2HT.png

Just now, Samool said:

as some will be reduced when the system actually needs the memory.

The problem is that it doesn't do that and when you max out on committed memory doing literally anything not wurm on your pc will cause most of the clients to crash, and often crash the graphics drivers with it. I've given my pagefile its own dedicated ssd to get around this, not even joking 6c0fbf61bd146371cd57f2db34d7f71a.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Samool said:

That's normal, it's nothing we can affect - that doesn't mean it's using 4gb of ram, as some of that is the page file, as some will be reduced when the system actually needs the memory.

Every process does the same thing:

NxGa2HT.png

indeed, it crashes the clients one by one until commit is less than my total physical possible

the only thing i can say is 3 years ago i could run 40 clients on my pc, now i can barely do above 13 or so without stuff crashing

whether thats a windows issue, a java issue, or a client issue is unbeknownst to me

if you are saying its not the client i'll take your word for it as you are the expert here by all means, thanks for looking into it

Yes, the client does use overall more memory than 3 years ago, we've had plenty of changes in that time, 4.0 client, new renderer(s), and others. While definitely possible to do, it's not a priority right now to decrease that usage, it's decent enough with good settings. I just got confused with the commited memory thing, since there's no chance the client itself would use that much.

Can we actually run java(wurm process) with garbage collectors and memory settings(min/max limits) with the new launcher setup? @staff @Samool

I haven't had the need to play around it for year/s but.. kind of useful to know if there's a way or thought of something for the performance in any way.. slow pcs with specific profiles letting them play in certain heavy map areas, or alt hoarders bulk craft or w/e they use them for..