Sign in to follow this  
Wimblonian

Laptop Screen Goes Black

I'll be playing Wurm and my screen will randomly go black. Not just the Wurm Window, but the entire screen and I have to close my laptop screen, wait for it to stop running then I have to open it, to continue.  Trying to figure out what the issue is here. It's been happening a lot and at the worse times possible.

It could be a power issue of some type. Or a driver issue. Or a hardware issue.

Try not running anything else on the laptop while playing wurm. Try using a wall adapter and not battery power. Try turning down the graphical settings so there is less demand on the system.

It also might be a driver issue, especially if your driver is more than 3 years old. Often laptop makers never update the drivers for their products and you are trapped with drivers that can sometimes be 10 years old or something. Because Wurm is now using newer features of OpenGL, it often does not work as well on anything using older Microsoft made drivers that cater only to DirectX games (which also explains why you might run DirectX games fine just not OpenGL games, even if the DirectX games seem more graphically demanding).   

Sometimes it can also suggest an impending hardware failure, especially if it progressively starts getting worse and worse. See this page of a bit more on that. Or it could just be struggling with summer heat issues especially if the weather is now much warmer wherever you live. See here. Sometimes a $30 laptop cooler can help with that, or just keeping the laptop on a hard surface in a cool room.  best not to throw away too much money on gadgets though. 

What is the Operating system (example, Win10,) specific laptop model (example: Dell Inspiron 1525),  the gpu (example, Intel GMA X3100 or AMD Radeon R7 Graphics ), and the date of the current driver? If you are not sure how to find out any of this informatin let me know.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Start with making sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

If the keyboard stays lit (lights, buttons etc) and the monitor goes black (like DARK, not just illuminated black), then it's the "monitor" not the power supply.

• Like 1

If not a graphics card update issue, its' very likely you're seeing the final stages of graphics card failure.

Its a brand new laptop, I don't have any issues on any other games. I can run LiF, GTA, Atlas, Skyrim. I  don't know what the issue is

you might find it that certain games, including Wurm, tend to appeal to laptop's integrated GPUs (and most laptops have an integrated video card as well) .

The way i combated this is by going into the Nvidia control panel and setting the javaw application to only be ran with the dedicated GPU.

Idk if this would help, but it's good practice to do on laptops against wurm.

• Like 2