Sign in to follow this  
Shydow

Transferable Affinities

Transferable Affinities:

The idea is to make affinities transferable to other players through a series of steps.

• Player puts in a chat command, perhaps /affinity.
    • This brings up a dialog window where the player chooses an affinity they currently have.
  • Priest casts a spell on the player (Lets say "Bless" for now, since all priests have it)
    • Player loses a rank of the affinity selected
    • Player gains a no-drop token with the affinity and rank
      • For example, if the player had Rank 2 Cooking affinity, after the cast, they would have Rank 1 Cooking affinity, and a Rank 2 Cooking affinity token in their inventory
      • This token cannot be mailed or dropped, and decays quickly (<1 RL day), so they cannot be hoarded or stored
  • The player can then trade this token to another player
    • When used, the token grants one rank of the related affinity, up to the rank of the token
      • Using the Rank 2 Cooking affinity token from the previous example, a player could use that to go from 0 to 1 affinities in Cooking, or from 1 to 2, but not from 2 to 3.
      • Players should only be able to use one token per time period (My gut says 1 per week, but could be longer / shorter based on dev decisions).

Benefits of this system:

• Players who have affinities they cannot use (such as priests) can transfer them to other players
  • PvE Players have the ability to buy / sell / trade affinities with others
  • Having affinity token ranks limited by the player giving it up helps prevent abuse of the system
  • Like 1

i like this idea and would very much want to see something like this in the game

+1

I am cautious.

I think the original method of gaining affinities was stopped to prevent alt affinity farming.  Whether that was to reduce the amount of unnecessary accounts, or to prevent people collecting affinities 'unfairly' I am unsure.

Also the stage of the game where you find out your affinity was changed. Basically you now see your first affinity when you go premium.  So under the above proposal, affinities would cost you 2s to see before they could be traded.

Obviously under the proposal above, some newbie affinities could prove to be worth more than that to players with silver, others less.

At the moment we just have to accept what we get, but I think that adding trade to affinities might be mixed blessing.  It would enable veteran players with enough silver to get all the affinities they want, but it might also breed discontentment with a new toon, and a feeling of wasted money with some affinities.

I am not against it in principle, but I think would need to be well thought out, well documented and controlled, to prevent newly premed players getting tricked out of their first affinity for less than they should, or into buying something like fighting or war-hammer.

It might add pressure for all of us to try to keep up with (what I imagine would be) the growing number of accounts with an affinity on every skill. Accounts with every skill having an affinity are not the end of the world - but they might just widen the skill gap somewhat. Pressure can be good, but only so long as it is not discouraging.

I hope something like this can go ahead so that new players have something else immediate to trade - but as things stand, I think it should be made more consistent and clearer to them *when* exactly they can expect their next affinity to appear, so that they have something else to which they can look forward, with a degree of certainty.

These are just my thoughts at the moment,   I hope I'm proved wrong on any negative aspects, and happy to redact if I am.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

I was triggered immediately by the title, but after reading the post I am strangely ok with this +1

-1 absolutely not.

What's next? You want transferable skills as well?

• Like 2

no because it will be abused and turned into tradeable 2s or w/e.. affs, keep chars and their w/e stars unique...

it's not like you cant go to chaos to do it.. 

it's not like some people arent still doing it still, even tho it's supposedly a nono, we just dont hear about it anymore

• Like 2

To address all of the concerns about new characters trading off their starting affinity for 2s, simply put in a restriction that a player cannot give away their last affinity using this system. By changing this, it alleviates all of the concerns that people will have with alt abuse.

@Muse : Were there any specific disagreements you had with the system that the above change would not address?

@Wulfgar : We already have affinities that can be transfered via PvP, this is simply allowing PvE players to do something similar, albeit through a few extra steps than simply stabbing someone. How is this anything like transferable skills at all?

All the people leaving -1s, could you please give your reasoning behind your decisions, so that I may address your concerns?

• Like 1

Our reasons for leaving -1 are pretty simple.  The affinity system was designed to be a permanent buff for a dedicated crafter who pours many many hours a day.  It was not designed to have affinities passed around much like the current purchase and sale of characters.

I want to grind..... hot food cooking.... lets say.

1.  I go out and buy 5 hot food cooking affinities for 10 silver or whatever.

2.  I fill pans for a few days, or I pay someone to do it, I get my 99.999 HFC or whatever.

3.  Now that I have my desired skill, I'm free to sell these affinities to someone else.  

I would argue that there are very few "useless" affinities for a priest as a result of the priest overhaul changes.  I would also argue that the market would be flooded from the get-go because of PvP toons that still have stupid crazy numbers of affinities as a result of years of farming kills/affinities on Chaos.

• Like 1

The affinity system was only recently updated to let players get more by purely doing the skills.

I do understand your concern, that if someone hits 100 in a skill, they could sell off all of their affinities for that skill. I am not sure how to address that one.

Getting level 5 in any affinity, with this system, would still be incredibly difficulty anyway, as you would have to find someone who already has a level 5 affinity to give it to you. In no way would it simply be buy the affinities for 10s, especially with the added caveat from my above post that players cannot lose their last affinity.

The market would initially be flooded with them from PvP, as there are many players who have dozens of affinities that they either don't need or don't want for their characters. This is not a downside, and the market would stabilize after the initial flood, since new affinities are not excessively common.

Edit: Having an affinity in a skill that is already 100 is "useless" for that player. Why not let them sell it to someone who can actually use it?

Edited by Shydow

Precisely my point.  People that have 4 body str affinities already do not want to buy a 5th one, because most any account that is/does is a PvPer who would risk losing said affinity/affinities in player deaths.  

Since this "Recent" update, I have gained 8 affinities on my main and 6 on my priest.  I'm sure many of the die hard Wurmians out there are of similar progression.  I just don't see it as a sustainable market, given the ability to somewhat easily generate affinities, the decline in player population, the inability to buy multiple "first" body str affinities and use them.  

NO to this. Affinities are basically now a nice surprise bonus that you get sometimes from playing the game. One of the few things that you now can't buy or maybe you can still "harvest" them by killing other players (which I hope they would remove too). The ability to sell them off like this (face it that is what many/most will do) just adds them to the pile of making money from playing the game opportunities. They should be kept as is as small surprise rewards for playing the game. You are given this special gift and then want to sell it off. A sad, sad suggestion...

=Ayes=

• Like 4

Wurm is already very heavily focused on being able to buy your way to success, in my opinion. I don't think we need affinities to be salable.

I've always imagined affinitys being a perk of PvP and would love for the game to put more effort in that.

only if can go pass 2 AND only time use

Cue the sound of 1000 non-prem alts being created to farm affinities.  The idea as described invites an abuse of the mechanic.

12 minutes ago, Sidereal said:

Cue the sound of 1000 non-prem alts being created to farm affinities.  The idea as described invites an abuse of the mechanic.

1000 alts that need prem to gain an affinity?

29 minutes ago, armyskin said:

1000 alts that need prem to gain an affinity?

Now that initial prem can be 2s,  yes.  I can imagine a Weaponsmithing affinity would sell for at least 2s to any number of folks given meal affinity prices.  Why pay by the hour when you can have it permanently?

EDIT: This is why I tried to clarify initially with "The idea as described invites an abuse of the mechanic".  Since the original suggestion doesn't make an exception for the default affinity assigned at creation, the suggestion can be abused.

Edited by Sidereal
  • Like 1

I would put the restriction of active prem on the account before it could ever earn an affinity or be allowed to trade off any of its affinity in any way

Even if you put 6month prem time requirement to be able to extract an affinity from a character... what stops alt hoarder from bulk creation spam with alts and gaining a few affinities than just reselling or merging them all into the main account?
Idea just kills the joy from having something 'unique' on freedom.. 

Every char have some affinity after certain *whatever body stat* or w/e skill.. they just get some random one at some point.. *dont really care when/why*.. but.. f2ps have their initial affinity... even if they can not see it.. there's a way to see it.. which is ok....
UGLY part comes when you make a BUNCH... and than 2s prem them to farm it... either this or the other way...

I mean I can think of a few ways this idea can be exploited and farmed pretty heavily.

Affinities in the past were a mark of prowess, if you have a lot of affinities you killed a lot of people. 

Allowing affinities to be traded just opens another revenue stream for many people to make their accounts god tier beyond what they are.