Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Buff Botanize

The most recent patch (see below) has converted Botanize from a useful skill to have, into a stub skill. 

Woad gathering was pretty much the last thing it was used for beyond the early game "crop hunt".

It could really use some new content in the form of useful items to find.  Plenty have been suggested in the past, now we could really use them.

• Like 1

How much money have you made from botanizing by selling woad? (seems to be the issue)

If not.. you're getting same things, and in the wild you vs gardener.. only you could pull a woad out of some bush at better ql... by chance.. if you find any

9 minutes ago, Finnn said:

How much money have you made from botanizing by selling woad? (seems to be the issue)

If not.. you're getting same things, and in the wild you vs gardener.. only you could pull a woad out of some bush at better ql... by chance.. if you find any

It would prolly take a very high botanizing skill to ever have made significant money from woad, and even then, frantic botanizing as the quantities are not high.

For dyeing hiqh qualities are crucial, so not much chance for low and intermediate botanizing skill levels to market lots of woad.

That is also which lets me consider Niki's proposal (though charming) with skepticism. With some luck, and a runed butchering knife, one may always pull a few ql90-100 cochineals when butchering dead cavebugs. Would be hard for a botanized plant to compete with.

Generally, no objections against the proposal.

Edited by Ekcin

Buff one of the very very few over powered skills in the game, that actually have a (decent) chance to give you coins just performing it?

I'm not saying that nothing will ever be added to botanizing again, but you have to realize that it really is one of THE most OP skills we have.

• Like 1

Hm, while I am sure that developers have more access to data measuring the power of skills, I am bit skeptical about that assessment.

Granted that foraging/botanizing give coins, and not seldom as long as the coffers aren't empty, the amount is still moderate, e.g. compared to fighting/killing, at least to my impression. And while it does indeed still yield a couple of interesting mats their amount, significance, and quality compared to other methods if available is rather limited.

And the skill curve, with skill determinig max ql (prolly with the usual .77*skill+23 formula as capping)  is not that impressive as well. Though I do a lot of botanizing regularly I only recently reached level 50, long after weapon smithing which is rightly considered a fairly hard skill. And I do much less WS than botanizing.

Botanising on steppe vastly ups the woad numbers.  And introducing new colours as botanise only simply restarts the whole "why can't we grow it?!?!?" argument.

1 hour ago, Wonka said:

Botanising on steppe vastly ups the woad numbers.  And introducing new colours as botanise only simply restarts the whole "why can't we grow it?!?!?" argument.

See?  Would not only keep people botanizing but give us something to post about for the next 5 years! =P 

+1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Finnn said:

Not a penny, but I did give me something to trade for high QL copper.  Now though?  Not likely.

10 hours ago, Jberg said:

Buff one of the very very few over powered skills in the game, that actually have a (decent) chance to give you coins just performing it?

I'm not saying that nothing will ever be added to botanizing again, but you have to realize that it really is one of THE most OP skills we have.

I'd agree with @Ekcinand say I am very skeptical as to how botanize rates as overpowered.  The only thing it offers over gardening/farming is coins/nettles/nutmeg; and it offers nothing over forage which offers coins/mushrooms/seedlings (both of which are useful and not obtainable elsewhere).  In terms of coins, these are recycled coins from deed upkeeps, and as the population drops the number of coins will likewise drop, so they're a fickle boon at best.

You've also got to bare in mind, a lot of players took part in the masochistic skilling of botanize to get higher QL woad, something which has now been stripped from them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Not a penny, but I did give me something to trade for high QL copper.  Now though?  Not likely. ..

You've also got to bear in mind, a lot of players took part in the masochistic skilling of botanize to get higher QL woad, something which has now been stripped from them.

As to the copper, if ql91 (and a bit) is sufficiently high for you, and your demand isn't in the thousands, feel free to contact me.

As to the lot of players, niarja tells me that there are just 84 registered players with levels above mine which is ridiculous 51, so the lots are bit limited. While I understand your discontentment with the change, every change will benefit some and harm others to some extent. It is good balance if the disadvantages hit few and the benefits many, and that the damage is limited. I see that being the case here.

High ql dye requires high ql mat, and only high ql dye can guarantee good colours. With ever more stuff being dyeable the demand for high ql dyeing mats is growing, and the tiny number of high level botanizers unable to suffice it. Therefore the woad change was a good one. I would also welcome another incentive to proceed in botanizing though.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, Mordraug said:

Cacao for rum too.. 

You can forage for this already.

edit: I'm dumb and can't read

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

I do want new plants and things to be added, it is a good skill but like archaeology it's one of those things that is easily improved.

Truffles

Immensely rare and valuable, with *unknown* culinary properties.

You have to forage or botanise to find them, and you need to be leading a pig.

• Like 3

truffles would be nice off highly dmg logs or deep forest areas.  I'd like mustard seed for some nice ochre gold colors and for cooking.

• Like 1

Truffle Effects:

Truffles would not change the affinity of the meal having an affinity value of 0/138.

They would extend the affinity timer of the meal by 1% of the meals timer per ql of the truffle.  (a 100ql truffle would double the timer)

Multiple truffles do not stack on the meal affinity timer, one truffle per meal is enough.

Truffle ql is tied to foraging or botanising skill.

Anyone can have a chance to find a truffle if foraging or botanising on a tree tile whilst leading a pig.

Any pig can be used but pigs get better at finding truffles as they age so a venerable pig would have the best chance.

The keen senses trait would give a bonus chance to finding a truffle.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 3

On 6/28/2019 at 3:23 AM, Jberg said:

There are days on end that the king's coffers are empty on Deli at least. I'd agree it's amazing while the coin is flowing, but what about when it's not? Might be useful to see that addressed with something better than practically worthless saccing rares.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:23 AM, Jberg said:

just boost ql output like was before, now a nonprem toon barely can get 30ql stuff from forage/botanize and is compared to have a rareroll to get that high ql, before changes everybody can get 60+ql because at end ql was random