Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Possible unique metagaming concern

Im so sad I wont be able to pendulum a unique and find it in a matter of hours after it spawned.  Now it'll take days and weeks and someone else might have a fair chance to capture it.  How can I now earn crap loads of cash and get tomes to sell for ever decreasing prices.  I think we should change it back!  It.. it.. it's less blood for everyone!!!!

Did I get it right?

• Like 6

B+ for accuracy but you forgot the part where they initially lobby for changes that benefit them personally.

"We want changes to uniques, the current system causes drama when I cant pen them all wah"

*Fair changes that allow for equal opportunity are slated to be implemented*

"W- Wait, not THOSE CHANGES.. Y-... You mean, I can't deliberately game the system to gain a practical advantage that I can monopolize in a dwindling market? METAGAAAAAME"

• Like 4

On 6/26/2019 at 10:26 PM, Niki said:

The only time you'll find them now is if you stumble upon it. Maybe.

unknown.png

Wait.... what?  We actually have to put effort into hoarding all the uniques now?  But.... but....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whereami said:

B+ for accuracy but you forgot the part where they initially lobby for changes that benefit them personally.

"We want changes to uniques, the current system causes drama when I cant pen them all wah"

*Fair changes that allow for equal opportunity are slated to be implemented*

"W- Wait, not THOSE CHANGES.. Y-... You mean, I can't deliberately game the system to gain a practical advantage that I can monopolize in a dwindling market? METAGAAAAAME"

more like if i dont get them, dont let anyone else get them because nobody knows where they spawn

Have you guys not learned the Doctrines of Wurm, ffs? =P 

I think the most disappointing thing for me was that stuff was just removed with no replacement. We've had a lot of good suggestions that'd make tracking a useful skill for finding uniques, shame it wasn't used.

Given this is short term changes with a larger overhaul down the line its likely new mechanics and systems would be possible. I like the tracking idea personally, although berris would need nerfing 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Given this is short term changes with a larger overhaul down the line its likely new mechanics and systems would be possible. I like the tracking idea personally, although berris would need nerfing 

So is there an actual outline of what the overhaul will be, at least internally? Or is it just a sort of "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it" situation?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Madnath said:

So is there an actual outline of what the overhaul will be, at least internally? Or is it just a sort of "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it" situation?

Rough outline of goals and ideas to achieve them. It's not at the treatment stage just discussion and notes. 

21 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Rough outline of goals and ideas to achieve them. It's not at the treatment stage just discussion and notes.  

so nothing planned yet, all smoke and mirrors for now

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 10:28 AM, Madnath said:

I think the most disappointing thing for me was that stuff was just removed with no replacement. We've had a lot of good suggestions that'd make tracking a useful skill for finding uniques, shame it wasn't used.

Pretty much my thoughts, I would of preferred if they had something in development before the changes were made.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Niki said:

if they had something in development before the changes

lol

Also, at this point we as p[layers need to pick and choose our battles. Let's save what little of CCAB's already-sparse, ADHD-distributed development effort/time we actually do get for problems that actually deserve solutions and can be fixed no other way. (like PvP, thx)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Niki said:

Pretty much my thoughts, I would of preferred if they had something in development before the changes were made.

Wurm Life survived without respawning uniques for 6 years.  With the price of drake sets declining lately, I'm pretty sure less unique slayings won't end the world.

If your argument is bloods to sell for silver.... you could chip as many bricks in an hour or two.

You'll live.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Wurm Life survived without respawning uniques for 6 years.  With the price of drake sets declining lately, I'm pretty sure less unique slayings won't end the world.

If your argument is bloods to sell for silver.... you could chip as many bricks in an hour or two.

You'll live.

I dunno. It paints a very bad image when things are being removed when only a "rough outline" of things is what they have for the future. We all know what Wurm is like. It'll be worked on until something more pressing will be found and it'll slip into the same pit that things like the webstore and golden mirrors are in.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Madnath said:

I dunno. It paints a very bad image when things are being removed when only a "rough outline" of things is what they have for the future. We all know what Wurm is like. It'll be worked on until something more pressing will be found and it'll slip into the same pit that things like the webstore and golden mirrors are in.

It's more that the situation was getting so incredibly toxic that we felt we needed to step in and address the major outcry first. 

It's all well and good to wait until the major overwork is ready, but sometimes an interim measure must be taken to ensure the situation doesn't get out of hand. 

• Like 6

The very first time I participated on an unique search, I was running around Cele looking for a Dragon that had spawned. Can't remember the color tbh. I came across Rocklobstar in local who was acting extremely odd at my presence in local. So I asked him if he had found the dragon.

He asked in alliance discord if anyone knew me. So I replied to him there (I was in Fire amd Sand back then) and he basically deflated from the released stress. Turns out he had found the dragon and was trying to get people to pen it.

The dragon got penned and a slaying occured ala MRC style ofc. But I will never forget how we did the hunts back then: no pendulums, no locates. People ran around and moused over until they spotted the unique. And they found them. And yet hunting parties got the biggest bulk of them.

The only difference then and now is we wont be able to tell when they spawn. It may actually mean less experienced people may stumble into them. Hunting parties still can go out and comb a server looking for them. Nothing is stopping them.

5 hours ago, Madnath said:

A lot of people are delusional in this community or just like to toss shade because why not. Stuff like the dragon change, fountain container nerf, drives people away. It's bad for the image of this game which is becoming less of a sandbox every day, wouldn't you rather have a hardcore sandbox game? It's extremely humorous reading comments in this thread to be frank.

I agree obviously, and hopefully they implement fast.

All is well until something you like is changed because another group doesn't like that player and has sway for change. "Niki is evil, pls nerf."

Oh look post nerf:

Niki slayed The aged fat green dragon

I rather have uniques a event-wide event for everyone to enjoy still. Nothing's changed.

until then...

Edited by Niki

5 hours ago, Niki said:

...this game which is becoming less of a sandbox every day, wouldn't you rather have a hardcore sandbox game?...

Yes.

I'm 100% for true hardcore sandbox. But seems to me you're advocating the opposite? Like making unique hunts Rift-like events. Or am I just discombobulated?

On 7/1/2019 at 7:55 PM, Angelklaine said:

The very first time I participated on an unique search, I was running around Cele looking for a Dragon that had spawned. Can't remember the color tbh. I came across Rocklobstar in local who was acting extremely odd at my presence in local. So I asked him if he had found the dragon.

He asked in alliance discord if anyone knew me. So I replied to him there (I was in Fire amd Sand back then) and he basically deflated from the released stress. Turns out he had found the dragon and was trying to get people to pen it.

The dragon got penned and a slaying occured ala MRC style ofc. But I will never forget how we did the hunts back then: no pendulums, no locates. People ran around and moused over until they spotted the unique. And they found them. And yet hunting parties got the biggest bulk of them.

The only difference then and now is we wont be able to tell when they spawn. It may actually mean less experienced people may stumble into them. Hunting parties still can go out and comb a server looking for them. Nothing is stopping them.

I can't wait for the newbie to find it, die, be flooded with PMs asking for location and the "lol idk" reply

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Madnath said:

I can't wait for the newbie to find it, die, be flooded with PMs asking for location and the "lol idk" reply

That would be epic lol.

But I am sure someone will just locate soul the newbie and find the corpse. Bam! Instant unique.

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

That would be epic lol.

But I am sure someone will just locate soul the newbie and find the corpse. Bam! Instant unique.

Sounds great. But ya know, we need any newbies, and here it's geting a lil bit tricky...

1 hour ago, Alkhadias said:

Sounds great. But ya know, we need any newbies, and here it's geting a lil bit tricky...

Consolidating between different people's interest and perceptions is always tricky; if I were new and had a dragon terrorize me only to be saved by dozens of strangers dropping everything to slay the beast, I'd think that was pretty epic. Knowing the community, some of them would probably help me rebuild any fences and walls if my deed was attacked, too.

Point being, for what it's worth, it may allow for some more interesting interactions between players with most of the railing removed.

EDIT: Though to be fair, I would still stay without such interactions while others may be disgruntled by them and leave, so this doesn't refute your concern about retention. Just adding a perspective.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Flubb said:

Consolidating between different people's interest and perceptions is always tricky; if I were new and had a dragon terrorize me only to be saved by dozens of strangers dropping everything to slay the beast, I'd think that was pretty epic. Knowing the community, some of them would probably help me rebuild any fences and walls if my deed was attacked, too.

Point being, for what it's worth, it may allow for some more interesting interactions between players with most of the railing removed.

EDIT: Though to be fair, I would still stay without such interactions while others may be disgruntled by them and leave, so this doesn't refute your concern about retention. Just adding a perspective.

People who knows me, knows also that I am an forever adventurer. At least used to spend 3/4 of my time in wilderness for years.

During every travel, I used to meeting new players. If I had no more important things to go after, I tend to talk to new people and help them for a day or two. Making some tools, gathering as much resources as i could in several hours. Explaining things... but also there were situations when i decided to stay longer at newbies places. Protecting them and fencing till they could fight bears on their own or decide to build towers. Just like you said, if youre a new player, you might find a lot of interactions, from just a talk to even unexpected help, visitors.

Thing is, in past few months i've met only 2 or 3 random new players on my ways. While not long ago Ive seen them on almost every journey.

Maybe i got unlucky, maybe not. In fact i don't believe in luck or lack of luck. Only analyze what i see.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Alkhadias said:

I dont know why a dragon would make a difference to a newbie in deciding to quit the game or not. In fact, I am sure that the amount of help and support he would get if killed by a dragon will be an amazing experience.

Getting killed by a dragon is no different to getting killed by anything else. You know whats a more prevalent bane for newbies? Trolls. Or even a hell hound. A hell hound will put you to the ground in less than a minute. Yet I don't see an outrage of newbie retention over hell hounds.

No newbie slaying dragons are an excuse. The chances any newbie will come across a dragon is abysmal compared to a troll or a hell hound, and the results will be identical.