Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Possible unique metagaming concern

So I'm not sure everyone is aware but with the next patch to Wurm it will be pretty much impossible to find uniques unless you stumble upon them randomly while hunting. They're removing twitter messages, in-game unique sighting message, pendulum, etc.

I was completely okay with them taking away pendulum, it was pretty strong and if you have two decent eyeballs that's all a unique hunter really needs...

However with this shift to removing twitter feed and in-game message I feel like overall this new system is a dangerous approach for the staff. Let me explain.

Especially on xanadu, there is a green dragon that's been lost basically atm.

As a player we have no tools to our disposal now except blind luck and it's discouraging, not to mention the rate at which uniques will be culled will be reduced by like 70% probably. That means less blood for everyone also.

So you've taken a cliquey system and I feel like it'll become even more cliquey. As a player I think the staff have completely lost touch with this game, I hardly even play even. All I ever see is changes that do more harm than good. Listening to player feedback that's apparent trolling/meme like this quote below is bad for the game. Something that should of been polled was decided on page 2 of that thread to be "what everyone wants." NO?

9165120bb322b358461a8d8b183449e4.png

I really hope Frontier is as good as you say. I remember when you guys hyped up rifts and they turned out to be a buggy mess for years.

I can't wait to see people selling dragon scale sets for 600 euro.

and with that, have a good day.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Niki said:

As a player we have no tools to our disposal now except blind luck and it's discouraging, not to mention the rate at which uniques will be culled will be reduced by like 70% probably. That means less blood for everyone also. 

And that should be why the uniques won't be instantly found and penned and killed... or if they are by the same people again within the same time period... feel free to start spinning more conspiration theories.

I am more hopeful for a more levelled play field where we won't have people logging in on a server as soon as a message will pop either on twitter or event feeds (cause alts and WA exists)... and now we will have a chance to stubble upon uniques again... not loggin to find them pen or already dead.

• Like 10

As you all know, I am fairly critical of the devs, but in this instance I will point out this whole post is purely FUD. How is making a change that applies equally to everyone favoring one group over another? Pendulums favor those that have the ability, time and alts to exploit it and twitter alerts favor those online at the moment by giving them a heads up to begin searching over others that simply happen to be asleep. How does "nothing" benefit anyone in specific?

Besides are you accusing staff of giving one group preferential treatment over another? You got any proof or are you just creating FUD?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

As you all know, I am fairly critical of the devs, but in this instance I will point out this whole post is purely FUD. How is making a change that applies equally to everyone favoring one group over another? Pendulums favor those that have the ability, time and alts to exploit it and twitter alerts favor those online at the moment by giving them a heads up to begin searching over others that simply happen to be asleep. How does "nothing" benefit anyone in specific?

Besides are you accusing staff of giving one group preferential treatment over another? You got any proof or are you just creating FUD?

I don't think it's FUD but I guess I see your point. I've removed that paragraph if anyone wants to know my opinion DM me.

so you're telling me uniques are actually more unique now

why is this a bad thing, in games where eve meant for titans to be in the dozens and now there are over 5000 of them, the game is tightening the reigns on its self to regulate it back into the acceptable area 

• Like 3

"more unique"

should just get rid of them all since they've been killed 10 times over

• Like 2

I remember the time I went out hunting for leather and animal parts and I came back running freaking out like a madman over comms because I had a White Drake on my tail. I remember the time my deed mate went out to cut wood and came back running  and freaking out because he had a green dragon on his tail. 

I remember on both ocasions getting a group on the spot to pen it and then killing it.

You know what pendulums took away from us? The random Wurmian walking around his garden to water his plants or frolicking in the forest picking flowers freaking out and screaming for help. 

I am glad we are getting it back.

• Like 12

tl;dr.. randoms will find the uniques and pm the same teams who did it so far.. and nothing is going to change.. #JustMyExpectation

50 minutes ago, Finnn said:

randoms will find the uniques and pm the same teams who did it so far.. and nothing is going to change.. #JustMyExpectation

Or others team will form and offer services to break the current statu quo... I ressurected the Merry Men for example :

Shameless plug right here, I know! But others are free to do the same (AND I ENCOURAGE THEM TO)... Uniques used to be fun for everyone... I hope they will become again.

• Like 4

+1 to level playing field for all groups who wish to hunt

• Like 1

I'm sure there is a saying out there, too many chefs spoil the snails, get your cake and eat it, or something. RIP , cant wait. 

• Like 1

make all uniques have the old models where dragons are the size of a dog and give them scarves

• Like 1

Unique drama caused a lot of people to leave the game, ruined friendships and created division between players.  Now that we are not able to get tomes any other way except via killing a unique and in some way being in the Big Cohuna l33t player group who are privy to the roll for such a tome/slime/whatever, good luck ever getting one except paying several golds to someone who hoarded these.

I will not say whether this change seems good or bad or ugly, because, like everything else, the proof is in the pudding.  I am sure after all the changes have been revealed, many more people will have opinions based on how it actually affects them in the game and impacts them directly.  Until that time, most of this is just speculation anyway.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

make all uniques have the old models where dragons are the size of a dog and give them scarves

They always looked like some version of a foot stool in some bougie azz antique store for mindless people with too much money to buy in order to make interesting dinner conversation.   I'm laughing at only if thy were that size again, imagine the wtf posts of being bumrushed out of no where and swirling around with avatar camera finding nothing..wtf is attacking me and just running but right into it again n again.  That'll teach yuh to love dragons, you want dragons there you go dragon dragon dragon.

17 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

Unique drama caused a lot of people to leave the game, ruined friendships and created division between players.  Now that we are not able to get tomes any other way except via killing a unique and in some way being in the Big Cohuna l33t player group who are privy to the roll for such a tome/slime/whatever, good luck ever getting one except paying several golds to someone who hoarded these.

I will not say whether this change seems good or bad or ugly, because, like everything else, the proof is in the pudding.  I am sure after all the changes have been revealed, many more people will have opinions based on how it actually affects them in the game and impacts them directly.  Until that time, most of this is just speculation anyway.

I'll just take and order of the big cohuna.  But you right, it had done a lot of destruction.  As I post, i'm in game looking at a player name that was once very kind and friendly to me, and because I was once part of a group they despised, they don't speak to me regardless that nothing happened between us two.  I can think of another situation where a long time friend in game defriended me for pointing out they weren't quite sincere about their motive to make money to a point it meant more than friendship.  At root it really is less about the uniques themselves and more about player behavior of what they value.  when you can turn game play into rl money, for some that overrides all and takes it from a game to something other.  Yet this is really an entirely other subject so i'll stop here so as not to go too far off track.  So as not to also seem a hypocrite, i had been part of a hunting group, and perhaps in the future will again chose to join one for i play the game as it is put before us until it changes otherwise and adapt.  I don't feel too bad about it as for 4 years when i played the game I too was shut out by game mechanics allowing private true above ground pens to hold dragons and lay eggs repeat etc.  mechanics changed, i got some chances at some fights to years later invited to join a group and then able to make a drake set and maybe a scale set in the future we'll see.  We can keep changing the mechanics but we can't change human behavior , and that is at the root the issue.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

2 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

I'll just take and order of the big cohuna.  But you right, it had done a lot of destruction.  As I post, i'm in game looking at a player name that was once very kind and friendly to me, and because I was once part of a group they despised, they don't speak to me regardless that nothing happened between us two.  I can think of another situation where a long time friend in game defriended me for pointing out they weren't quite sincere about their motive to make money to a point it meant more than friendship.  At root it really is less about the uniques themselves and more about player behavior of what they value.  when you can turn game play into rl money, for some that overrides all and takes it from a game to something other.  Yet this is really an entirely other subject so i'll stop here so as not to go too far off track.  So as not to also seem a hypocrite, i had been part of a hunting group, and perhaps in the future will again chose to join one for i play the game as it is put before us until it changes otherwise and adapt.  I don't feel too bad about it as for 4 years when i played the game I too was shut out by game mechanics allowing private true above ground pens to hold dragons and lay eggs repeat etc.  mechanics changed, i got some chances at some fights to years later invited to join a group and then able to make a drake set and maybe a scale set in the future we'll see.  We can keep changing the mechanics but we can't change human behavior , and that is at the root the issue.

Which is why I suggested in previous posts that they really make the new system more casual oriented or event-like. Everyone that pays premium should be able to do this activity as well. Cause with the upcoming update there is no killing, there is no knowing. It's removing the casual and the hardcore scene entirely. It's just bad design, and cop out from devs in order to stop the complaints..probably. I imagine they're tired of getting bothered from random people saying unique groups are taking "their" dargons.

Tomes shouldn't of been nerfed to hell also, if anything they should be cosmetic only and not a pay to win mechanic.

Obviously I'm fairly aware of how people think of people in unique groups. I used to hate them to, I adapted to the meta so I wouldn't get left behind.

The only time you'll find them now is if you stumble upon it. Maybe.

Speculation is all we have, I generally see the worst outcomes, unfortunately. ?

Edited by Niki

It encourages leaving the deed and adds a little bit of danger to roaming. 

It doesnt change what is done once those dragons are found, they can be penned, private and public slayings can occur, anything can be done.

What it does do is cut down on the ability to brute force finding legendary creatures via ingame or out of game systems. 

It's actually aimed at being more casual and benefitting the existing players on that server, as opposed to those who travel.

As for tomes, you both say they shouldnt be nerfed and also should be nothing but cosmetic titles? 

Yes, feel free to roam and play and if you stumble across one, say hi for me! 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

As for tomes, you both say they shouldnt be nerfed and also should be nothing but cosmetic titles? 

Sorry I should of explained myself better I guess, don't feel like getting into it but that's a big one itself.

10 hours ago, Finnn said:

tl;dr.. randoms will find the uniques and pm the same teams who did it so far.. and nothing is going to change.. #JustMyExpectation

You overestimate i think. In several topics you are pointing this.

Truth is, there are almost... none randoms. We know almost all players by their names. I know most people on Xanadu and i can remember most of their living areas. So it's not just "randoms". Just players we know... but perhaps didn't befriended or be in kind enough relations. I mean on single server at least. Of course there are people we have almost no idea about, but rarely we see strange names that aren't completely new players.

I know at least several people who would try to pen on their own or pm me or my friend instead of... "them".

That' somehow... terrifying but also beautiful about Wurm when I think about it for a while...

Edited by Alkhadias
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

What it does do is cut down on the ability to brute force finding legendary creatures via ingame or out of game systems. 

It also encourages people to use forbidden tools to aid them in finding the uniques even more, especially considering there is a very strong RL cash incentive to doing so. And put legit players into even more of a disadvantage.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Niki said:

Sorry I should of explained myself better I guess, don't feel like getting into it but that's a big one itself.

Maybe you should just actually use some logic instead of ranting off about things you haven't even experienced, nor (clearly) even thought through very well.

I like how this whole thread is in complete opposition to what has been proposed by the team, but you have yet to actually suggest any different course of action yourself. And when cornered on your poor logic and lack of thought, you simply say "ahh nah, I can't be bothered to explain it to a laymen" rofl. You have no actual thought on the subject other than that you want to continue lining your own pockets, and it's pretty obvious when you can't even compose two or three sentences that actually provide a counter scenario with an actual point that gives reason to why a different mechanic should be used, and explains what that mechanic is.

No one kills uniques on Xanadu because no one wants to travel by sea for an hour before even hitting land, and then travel for another 3 hours inland by horse, just to kill a dragon. Let alone getting a group to do that at a specified time/place. So no one even bothers looking for them. That's not a problem with uniques, that's a problem with Xana being a crap server that's so stupidly huge no one cares to wander it.

How do you make the system "Casual" without having dragons that respawn every hour? If they made it a Rift type event, who and what is to stop people from simply doing the exact same thing that happens now? Care to elaborate on what you actually see as a problem and a solution? Or do you just want to sit on the sidelines and point fingers without ever actually contributing any useful information to the discussion?

If you don't have a solution, bitching isn't the answer. Try it and see where it goes. Worse case scenario, no uniques get killed for 3 or 4 months cause no one can find them and it gets reverted. Have a nice day.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It encourages leaving the deed and adds a little bit of danger to roaming. 

It doesnt change what is done once those dragons are found, they can be penned, private and public slayings can occur, anything can be done.

It's actually aimed at being more casual and benefitting the existing players on that server, as opposed to those who travel.

Yes, feel free to roam and play and if you stumble across one, say hi for me! 

so nothing was fixed, only make it easier for who already know the places that uniques spawn and harder for the rest...

It's supposed to spawn them randomly.. 30tiles or more from deeds, not at 'biome-specific' areas.... but overall 90% is unchanged, greed will mostly keep same situation overall.

Thing is uniques are supposed to be... unique right? not guaranteed to have one spawn in a certain place and have it penned within an hour of it spawning ready for another to spawn in 3-4 weeks time to the point it's easy to pin point the area's and times it's likely to spawn. That's not unique.

Used to be that drake/scale sets were 'endgame' content. Hard to get, you were lucky to get one. Same to an extent with bloods. However, scale/hide drops were changed, dragons now respawn regularly and so prices for hide/ scale have dropped dramatically since I made my own first set. New blood types were recently introduced too.

I think people really miss the point. These creatures are supposed to be a rare opportunity with loot you need to work your ass off to get. There will always be greed, selfishness and competition for them, it's not supposed to be handed to you on a silver platter. I think, if anyone thinks that's going to change by removing notifications for them they're seriously wrong, but I'd love to be proved wrong on that front. 

The fact there is one of the players most known for finding, penning and having private slaying parties calling for changes to them being announced to make it harder for them to find them speaks volumes to me.

I really hope these changes are for the better, for everyone in wurm.

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

greed will mostly keep same situation overall

Well of course those who pursue these "Legendary" creatures with the above motive will continue on with that mentality. This (patch) is not about changing anyone's motivations but rather some attempt at minimizing their chances of disproportionate success. This is the only viable avenue that the Devs have to turn this situation into a more equitable one. It acknowledges the problem, examines the contributions to it and takes some steps to resolve it. Although there may be some flaws to it, these too can be adjusted as the situation progresses through observing the experiences of other players involved. The determination this shows to address the situation is what I find the most encouraging thing about it all.

=Ayes=