Sign in to follow this  
CountZero

ISnt it about time we had ceilings?

How many people think the interior walls under a roof look stupid? Would it be very difficult to be able to build a ceiling on top of walls? That way you can choose whether or not you want to see the underside of the floor above AND whether or not you can see the roof in the top floor.

• Like 2

The problem is the roof counts a ceiling/floor above, so it is technically impossible to add something there as it would overwrite the roof

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

The problem is the roof counts a ceiling/floor above, so it is technically impossible to add something there as it would overwrite the roof

I am sure a solution could be found. (If not a floor-like ceiling, maybe something like a "floating carpet" that looks like a ceiling. Just a first idea...)

Make it a solid object , one piece roof and ceiling to get pass that hurdle .

Would like to see roof that slope up to a wall and not a peak .

• Like 1

Totally agree. Got enough of building second floors as roofs, instead of roofs. Standard roof makes it impossible to fit innterior walls nicely to any larger building.

I remember when a roof was automatic when all walls had parts attached to them, before multi-story housing. Surely they could bring that idea back for an automated roof that is themed based on the floor under it, where it's just a flat roof for interior vanity, and you can toggle it on and off for construction purposes.

Edited by paterso

i really dont think it would be very difficult to add an "add ceiling" option to completed floors / roof tiles

and use the same gfx and materials as the floors just facing down on the bottom of the completed floor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paterso said:

I remember when a roof was automatic when all walls had parts attached to them, before multi-story housing. Surely they could bring that idea back for an automated roof that is themed based on the floor under it, where it's just a flat roof for interior vanity, and you can toggle it on and off for construction purposes.

i've always wanted a flat roof option! i strongly dislike rain in my houses but i really dislike having the tall roof over my castle :(

having the options of beams or a real ceiling would be a huge +1... you will never ever see high roof floating away like they do in wurm! As for the flat roof, a last floor only tar + rock floor would be historically accurate as it was often done in medieval time

It could be just as simple as a different build option that has a bottom with wood beams. It could act in the same way that it does we add and remove the trim from stone walls. Then it wouldn't interfere with the times where you want a large open peak. 

Flat roof just needs to be a floor with the graphic on both sides and include weather collision.

Just add a new roof type "roof with ceiling" that overlays the roof model and the floor model in the same place

Personally, I would prefer if the roof + wall mechanics and models were overhauled and expanded, so that we had something akin to the modular pieces that newer survival/base building games have. 

It's completely unrealistic (and silly looking) that all roofs are hip style. This creates valleys in places they never should be. There's no gable option... no proper dormers or awnings.

10 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

Just add a new roof type "roof with ceiling" that overlays the roof model and the floor model in the same place

I immediately thought this too. You can make a new ceiling model with a roof included where instead of the interior being see-through it can be the underside of a pottery floor or a sandstone floor, or even simply a wooden floor. Then players can choose between a regular roof or a roof with ceiling. It would be all purely cosmetic. 

On 6/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, Alexgopen said:

This, please! Simple solution to a long standing, annoying cosmetic issue. 😉

Plus one for the humpteenth time!

This again bothered me today :(

• Like 1

I posted a thing about ceilings too.  Because, a ceiling opens us to new objects, such as chandeliers or ceiling mounted pulleys to hoist crates to upper floors.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2019 at 4:38 AM, Angelklaine said:

I immediately thought this too. You can make a new ceiling model with a roof included where instead of the interior being see-through it can be the underside of a pottery floor or a sandstone floor, or even simply a wooden floor. Then players can choose between a regular roof or a roof with ceiling. It would be all purely cosmetic. 

It's probably not as simple as just a model replacement, as the height of roofs increases as they cover greater floors. But some additions to the code deciding which part to use for a roof and where to put it might viably implement this. It would be pretty nice to be able to build the roof and ceiling independently, though.

Perhaps a mallet or trowel could be used on a finished roof to "add ceiling", rather than trying to consolidate building both roof and ceilings into the planning stage? Having to build the roof first seems more sensible and would prevent "locking yourself out" from being able to select the roof because you already made ceilings.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:53 PM, Flubb said:

It's probably not as simple as just a model replacement, as the height of roofs increases as they cover greater floors. But some additions to the code deciding which part to use for a roof and where to put it might viably implement this. It would be pretty nice to be able to build the roof and ceiling independently, though.

Perhaps a mallet or trowel could be used on a finished roof to "add ceiling", rather than trying to consolidate building both roof and ceilings into the planning stage? Having to build the roof first seems more sensible and would prevent "locking yourself out" from being able to select the roof because you already made ceilings.

Roofs all have the same hight, which is where the wall ends and the plan of the roof is prior to construction. That's where the actual roof resides. The rest is pretty much an optical illusion of sorts since Wurm is a 2D game and not true 3D like many think it to be.

My suggestion could allow for the "ceiling" to be created where the plan is, with a roof above it as normal visible only from the outside. Since one can't really inhabit the space between the plan and the actual roof, that spot where the ceiling would be affects nothing.

You can make the ceiling removable too, just like we remove the trimming on walls, or whatever works. I don't care as long as we get ceilings.

• Like 1