Sign in to follow this  
CountZero

Latest Raspberry Pi Cluster server?

Just seen the spec for the upcoming Raspberry Pi 4. Now each one can have up to 4Gb RAM!

I wonder if a cluster of them would be able to run a modest server happily? I dont really know how Wurm would run on cluster - does it support multi-threading?

Raspberry Pi 4 specs

• SoC: Broadcom BCM2711B0 quad-core A72 (ARMv8-A) 64-bit @ 1.5GHz
  • GPU: Broadcom VideoCore VI
  • Networking: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless LAN
  • RAM: 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB LPDDR4 SDRAM
  • Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
  • GPIO: 40-pin GPIO header, populated
  • Storage: microSD
  • Ports: 2 × micro-HDMI 2.0, 3.5 mm analogue audio-video jack, 2 × USB 2.0, 2 × USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)
  • Dimensions: 88 mm × 58 mm × 19.5 mm, 46 g

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-4-specs-benchmarks/

Edited by CountZero

Depending on how the cluster is setup, probably yes. A raspberry 4 could be able to run a Wurm server again the question is how fast it can do I/O, that will matter the most.

If that is the issue probably few things could be reworked for that... maybe you could wire an ssd to it? i/o solved if it's just disk performance thing.

I'd not call a cluster of 55$/ea raspberries .. cheap, only bonus to this is the power consumption ?

This might get me away from Odroid.  I still like the HC1/HC2 and want a H2 though.

well thats the thing - for a small server 2 or 3 of these would do RAM wise - would the processing power be enough? If so thats a £150 server - I would most definitely call that cheap.

And the power consumption is a huge bonus, they pull something like 5W each? - It would cost me £50 a month to run my PC 24/7 - a cost I cant afford whereas a cluster of these would be far more doable

Log in server needs to be beefy, otherwise its not going to cope with the joined cluster servers.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:48 PM, Finnn said:

If that is the issue probably few things could be reworked for that... maybe you could wire an ssd to it? i/o solved if it's just disk performance thing.

I'd not call a cluster of 55$/ea raspberries .. cheap, only bonus to this is the power consumption ?

That Pi has USB 3, you can get really good SSDs that use USB 3. -- I bought a Corsair Voyager GTX for my portable Debian a few years ago. The specified I/O speeds are not a lie. Otherwise you'd have to get a really pricey micro SD card with a high speed class.

Quite curious as to how this is looking.

Has anyone tried it yet, if so what were the results?

I've just won a 2GB one yesterday so I might get myself at some point to do a test on it - setting up a default WU server to check how it works out. 

• Like 1

Raspberry Pi has an ARM CPU which is as far as i'm aware not supported by steam, and you need steam binaries which don't exist for it to run wurm. So unless you use x86 emulation (which would murder performance) this is not happening.

so.. pick x86 alternative to raspberry pi?

Or have some stuff rewritten.. 

options, options, so

what exactly do you need from steam though?

thought java was normal from the steam console... just downloading the wu server and running it on whatever with java...

what am I missing

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 3:51 PM, Finnn said:

so.. pick x86 alternative to raspberry pi?

Or have some stuff rewritten.. 

options, options, so

what exactly do you need from steam though?

thought java was normal from the steam console... just downloading the wu server and running it on whatever with java...

what am I missing

You need a binary from steam (libSteamServerJni.so + libsteam_api.so) that talks to steam servers and handles all the steam-related stuff, registering with steam server list, player authentication, query port, etc. Those libraries don't exist in arm version, so you'd need to reverse engineer and rewrite them or ask Valve to release an arm version (good luck :P)

There are small single board x86/x64 computers around that you could use, something like ODROID-H2 etc.