Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Tips for Safe Trading

In light of recent events, I would like to share some tips with the community in order to help you make your transactions more secure. No transaction can be made 100% secure, and even the most well known, respectable merchant can have a change of heart. But I have been trading for several years now and by following these rules I have had a mostly pleasant experience with my traders. So here we go.

1) Do not buy from unknown sources. This sounds and should be obvious, but you would be surprised to know this is also the #1 thing people who get scammed fail to follow. When a scammer deals with you, chances are you do not know them. They will try to somehow gain your trust, and after a few minutes of conversation and perhaps dropping some names, they hope you will trust them. But do you know them? No. Do not trade with someone you do not know the identity of.

2) Ask for a vouch. If you do not know a person, but they give you a good deal and you'd like to get the trade going, ask for a vouch. Asking for a vouch is not offensive and the person should be expected to be able to provide it, and you must be able to verify it. When someone says "Angelklaine can vouch for me" make sure to contact "Angelklaine" and verify that's the case. But more importantly, if you don't trust the vouch the person provides you, then that's not an acceptable vouch. In sort, do not purchase from someone you cannot verify their legitimacy of. That brings us to the next point.

3) Untrusted sources go first. If you cannot verify the seller or person you are doing a trade with, ask them to go first. If you are buying silver from someone you don't know/trust, simply get the silver first and then do the transaction. Someone who is not a trusted seller should understand your hesitation. If they are not willing to do this, then move on. There are plenty of traders there that can provide a similar service.

4) If the offer is too good to be true its because it is. No one will sell you silver at a rate of 1s per .75e. If the offer seems too good, then the person is likely trying to scam you. Unless you trust the source, follow the advice given above.

5) Do not buy in a hurry. If you are unsure about your seller, ask them if you can contact them later after you've asked around. Take your time with your puchase. Scammers generally are in a hurry because they want to get you when you are most vulnerable. Anyone trying to instill a sense of urgency on you is up to no good. Take a step back and think about what you are doing.

6) Get your own trusted sellers. Ask around. Chances are someone can recommend you a good seller. Good sellers are not common and people know them by name, Make your own list of trusted sellers and check up on them whenever you need silver. Stick to those people and you'll be alright.

7) Consider the Wurm Shop as a possibility. If you are in a hurry and can't get your favorite seller on, bite the bullet and buy from the Wurm Shop. Yes, its more expensive, but you can be sure they won't scam you out of your hard earned money.

8 )  Verify the sellers identity by comparing them to their forum profile. Although not an absolute answer, checking up someone's profile in the forums is a good way to discard last minute trash accounts. Someone who just made a throwaway alt to scam people on Trade chat isn't likely to have a 3 year old forum account with 600 posts. Beware of sellers with accounts made a few days ago or without a forum profile. If in doubt, ask them to do the transaction on the forums. 

9) Ask the community. Go to global chat and ask if someone knows a specific seller. Our community is small and people know each other. Known sellers will be vouched for almost instantly.

10) Don't trust anyone. In the end  keep in mind anyone can scam you. Always thread carefully, take your time in your transactions, ask around, know the price of things, and follow your gut. Only you are responsible for your own money.

Got any tips you'd like to share? Post them below!

• Like 11

i excepted a tips how for example make 100s in two days, -1 elo

?

Edited by Votip
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

10) Don't trust anyone. In the end  keep in mind anyone can scam you. Always thread carefully, take your time in your transactions, ask around, know the price of things, and follow your gut. Only you are responsible for your own money.

I don't trust you.

• Like 1

Excellent post!

Of course, ultimately you're going to have to trust someone, but it's all about doing what you can to ensure as much trust as possible.  Also, when buying silver from the official store, DON'T USE PAYPAL!  All the other options are cheaper - Paypal costs a lot, and wurm passes on that cost to you.

13 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

I don't trust you.

Good! You shouldn't! I'd catapult your deed and empty your coffers :P

On 6/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, Angelklaine said:

Good! You shouldn't! I'd catapult your deed and empty your coffers :P

I don't have a deed

23 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

I don't have a deed

Tsk, that Angelklaine, already catapulted and drained it, has he?

40 minutes ago, Wonka said:

Tsk, that Angelklaine, already catapulted and drained it, has he?

Yes

The OP is basically common sense. Possibly the most surprising thing is that some actually need to be instructed in this manner after the age of (?). Maybe people think of this as common "cents" and being worth so little throw it away. Perhaps not worth picking it up initially either. Pennies from Heaven. Yeah, that's tha ticket!

=Ayes=