Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 086

On 6/22/2019 at 5:01 AM, Alkhadias said:

Same thing is about dragons. Competition with best hunters is actually almost impossible. Almost impossible means- that it's possible. You will fail more than win, sure. Their knowledge, experience, prepared data at all is way better. What stopped you or everyone else from making the same? 

life.
Well.. you seem to like to RP.. or turn your peasant self to a king or w/e.. That's cool, but I don't want to play your reality, you can be king on your server or be one on chaos.. if whoever there is .. likes the crown on your head, all fine by me. But.. I see no reason for your regular self to somehow rule how I or anybody else should experience the game, IMO we all deserve some FUN and some piece of the pie. 5-10 kids having pager-alerts for twitter and using or not alt horde to stalk dragons to steal that said fun from the rest of the population seems like metagaming to me. Not to mention once a game fills with good number of alts... it means it's dead pile of ... I've played a bunch and had some observations to write this, it's not a good advertisement to see hollow chars around.
Even with the situation for the past year.... I've been around with a few IRL needed breaks to get more time for other things.. I'm still here.. paying and playing.. even with the ###### that have been going on with uniques for what 2-3years now? 

I think you'll be fine if at last things go to a bit saner levels.

There's frontier, budda promised some challenges, try that, you'll have fighting opportunities there, + you wont have to deal with little hide/scale pieces others never had, things could balance and have everybody happy? Maybe?
If you can prem up with real money like the rest and do not depend on the scale/hide to pay your rent and premium status, I see no problem, right? Game goes on, more happy people around, maybe some return after reducing the wogic with uniques, who knows.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:41 AM, Scottfree2 said:
Abour Effing time, we have been begging for an end to the toxic unique dramas for years and years, please dont screw it up this time.

Sadly.... nothing is going to change.. newbs will call same names to do semi or full private slayings with just 1-5 different names.. but still having same original teams sponge some hide/scale, possibly a charge etc..

Not much improves with this. Already have ads on forums to call groups to kill it for you.. as you're a toddler and groups are best means to handle these atm.

I'll wait for next change hopefully.. raid-ish mechanic.. that wont let 2s alts get anything.. but doubt that.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, Wulfmaer said:

I'm really not sure that reducing the amount of scale/hide would solve anything. I don't see any of the previous reductions in amount dropped having had a positive effect.

Some years ago I was at a drake slaying with only nine characters, local was empty, using the size of the hide scrap from that kill and some simple math it would appear that it takes the hide from between 2 and 3 drakes to make a compete set of armour (I very much hope that figure is wrong, but...). Is it any surprise that there is drama? Over the years the amounts of scale/hide dropped has been repeatedly reduced... I remember the comments about how many sets of armour the leather from a single drake gave...

Couple this with the journal goals that require equipping a set of drake and scale... People can do the maths and realise there is zero chance of making either, if they are not part of small group that actively hunts. Leaving the only option to either have a friend who trust them enough to lend a drake/scale set to wear for a few seconds to get the achievement, or they are prepared to spend money/silver to buy a set.

I remember another change which supposedly.. increased the amount of hide/scale and tome drops, than a few months of peace and the sh.. hammer dropping with all it's greed power leading to situation 3-4months ago with several posts suggesting a change to uniques.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:19 AM, Wulfmaer said:

The underlying issue most likely is MONEY, and anything that generates it is all part of the mix.

True

On 6/22/2019 at 10:27 AM, Cecci said:

Is the issue even the scale/hide?

To me the issue seems to be the other stuff.

IT IS the scale and hide , as you see private slayings for dragons and public throw of sand in the eyes to get good reputation back... if you cant get any of the good stuff.. who cares if you travel to get a blood sample of the beast?

21 hours ago, madnezz said:

It will be a huge mistake if impossible to locate Uniques are still designed to destroy structures and fences on deed.

What happens when a player with prized animals like champ dogs or champ deer is away from their deed and a unique happens to spawn closeby that procedes to rampage their deed and as a result sets all their animals free?   It has happened before.

This WILL happen with the planned change.. if uniques can bash/trash deeded structures and spawn close by.. many deeds are 'villas' on other deeds or people owning them are just not playing as much for one or another reason, they will just return and start with a "WTF!?" exclamation

18 hours ago, Griffith said:

since you quoted me ill try to clarify. i didnt say the amount should be reduced overall, more uniques to hunt

with the same overall amount of loot.

IMO f* no... why? wurm takes serious, SERIOUS amount of time.. chasing or participating even...

17 hours ago, faty said:

It's PVE, not a building simulator.. the E needs to strike back at some point :) (more need for bricks in the market i guess)

Doesn't matter what is changed with uniques, there will always be at least two types of players, the ones that organize themselves and understand the mechanics of the spawns and how to find, pen and kill them, and the second group that will always complain about the first group.

This is a sandbox, and if someone's enjoyment is to run around the map all day looking for uniques then the player that also likes to smith, breed horses or whatever will have a disadvantage in finding them.

E strikes back for the f2ps.. if you want to experience the E force, undeed.

You also pay to have some control and less annoyance to deal with(decay and disappearing walls, etc)

15 hours ago, Jaz said:

I don't want to quote any part of what you wrote as it is as good as it is and describes how I play Wurm and what is important to me. I fail in many aspects of the game and I'm angry about it - angry about myself that I don't have enough experience yet. BUT that drives forward. 

Look at rifts: they are so very boring like hell, the only reason I show up again is the new journal - which I see less interesting than the old PG system having everyone the same goals and forcing to put tremendous work to areas you don't enjoy a bit (as they cover so wide range of different aspects of the game you need to be a real jack-of-it-all to accomplish the journal).  Journal shapes players and toons to a uniformized mass and is going too close to the quest system why I avoid games.

Wurm is mainly about competition for me - competition against other players and the world itself.

I'm quite scared about the plans of unique reworks, if they will be "riftized" that will take away all the fun from them. The big thing in uniques for me is the thrill of search, to be more lucky or faster than others. So little content is about that nowadays in Wurm. In my view competition should be increased not decreased. Sure not everyone likes it, but this is why a sandbox is great, you can play it the way you like it. No one ever will excel in all aspects and that is more than normal and expected.

What exactly is fun about having 5-10 people sponge rarest material in the game and preventing other to reach that forcing them to buy from the partypooper teams?
Why is it bad if the developers make the game FUN for everybody and not just these 5-10 people? I am wondering why actions werent following after the 5th time same team got the loot, as that's a real sign something's wrong, it's too easy or there's no competition, but reward is just as good.. and probably needs something to change..

Frontier's coming whatever that is.. could offer 10x better armor and weapons for rewards, dragon scraps could be worth 2 iron next month, we have no clue.

14 hours ago, Alkhadias said:

Yeah, you got my point. Rifts are boring. You don't have to look for them, you miss this... thrill of unknown variable. And you aways know what you will get of it- not much. The only thing that is good about Rifts is that people are gathering together. 
I mean, Rifts are fine... if we have our uniques like now. But making uniques like Rifts? Meh. Event of randomness. 
 I know that in most games, everything is for everyone pretty much easily achievable. But Wurm never been like other games. Was unique for many reasons. Reasons we're effectively losing over time. 
Perhaps, for some people is improving, sure, but if we will remove everything that was unique, we'll lose Wurm's spirit. We'll get just... more of the same- sad thing is that Wurm is no competition for "more of the same" games. 
Perhaps removing unique beasts and all items related to them would be a better move than reworking them. 

Rifts ARE.. terrible.. because we spend 1-3hours on them.. to get higher numbers.. instead of getting 10 hearts, running around with 1-2 people to kitte the aggro and rest could rush to sac 10 hearts to close them...
People like to slash and bash things + it gives you better jewelry to smelt once rift's gone.. 
One of biggest downsides is ... travel time it just doubles the time you need for every rift..

BUT we cant have teleporting mechanic as that's too fun.. everybody HAVE TO.. own a priest pet to get summoned somewhere.. and use the pet to get home or back to boat(that alone have made me skip several rift invites)

You run around in drake/scale? Judging by your avatar. . you seem to like having better armor, why other shouldn't have easier time and equal chances when fighting?

14 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I am still unsure what to think about the whole affair.

To start: I know nearly nothing about uniques other than experiences from public slayings, and what I read about, in this thread in particular. And this topic is hardly pressing for me.

As to the public slayings, I loved each single of them, always tried to hit the unique, though the best I got was ".. takes no real damage .." at the unique, mostly missed or glanced. And, ok, proudly sent them sprawling a couple of times ? that was fun. As to the loot: I calculated that at the pace of my participations, and given I could barter hides and scales freely, it would take me some 6 to ten years towards a full set of one of them, either drake or scale.  Not that that bothered me at all. I loved blood for mining and forestry imbues in particular (did not use them yet). And I did not bring armies of alts, but some new players from our alliance who enjoyed the event too.

I am bit sad therefore when OR announces to stop or have stopped organizing public slayings. Thanks a lot for every single of them though, I loved them and am grateful, would be a shame not to have those in the future.

I can't appraise how hard spotting was or will be without pendulums and announcements, and possibly, randomized spawn times, the latter, a random(+-48hrs) spawn or so after announcing "rumours", might be more effective and interesting than just hiding information. And spotting a dragon would always be easier than e.g. a goblin leader. Not being able to pen them would also make it impossible to set dates for slaying, which would insofar answer the question about the future of public slaying events, no matter how the recent hunting teams decide.

A word about rifts: I like them, and I feel a lot of the comments about them being boring fairly arrogant. Among the most pleasant rift fights I participated were those where very experienced players took the lead, organized the infrastructure etc., and the whole thing was done in an efficient and well organized way (thanks Azael, and also Tilda to name some) . The boredom may be in the eyes of those who feel themselves above such activities.

I agree though that there should be challenges for long term players, and just removing such a challenge will not help, at least something to replace it should be thought about.

You've gone to public slayings... that rarely is for venerable dragons which offer a BIIIIIIIIIGGGGEEEEERRRR weight reward.. than usual younger dragons. Same pub slayings give you at best 0.03 or 0.01(sometimes less) depending on the penned alts who if not penned would pull more than 1 rare bone from the body.(that's a joke.. but numbers are real), the amount of scale/hide private slayings offer is much bigger... in a few you can make an armor or half.. which is more than what you can get in few years attending to all slayings if they were public.(1 of the reasons.. alts sponge equal amounts, and only cost 2silver to get blood/scale/hide from uniques.. doing nothing just standing in local and that is common practice to get more of these events).

You've missed that most pub were hide/scale -less.. just blood calls for reputation not that much to help you in any other way than to shut you for a bit longer.
There were 1-2 dragon pub slayings for 1 or another reasons around journal goals(again for rep probably), but that was it, rest was gold gold gold farming.

Reworking makes it harder to pen and participate? There's no such thing.. it's all in private and rest is dust in the eye as explained.. 

Nobody on who can get drake or scale armor - uses plate/chain/leather/ct, there must be a reason for that... and if only way to get it is to buy it from partypoopers, I'll pass and use whatever else I can vs dragons, bunnies and hell whatever spawns.

IF that is what the game is offering me.. rather do that than buy from the people who rob the fun moments I could also had.

12 hours ago, Eobersig said:

I can't say I like this change, in fact I have to say I don't like it. I believe it's an example of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. To counteract a tactic certain hunting groups are currently using we are changing the mechanic in a way that effects all players (even those not part of the mentioned groups). One could even make the point that it effects these legitimate unique hunters even more than the groups with the strategically placed alts with pendulums.

I believe there would be better methods available, I urge you to reconsider.

rift-like raid system?
The so called strategically placed alts with pends seems awfully "gray area" to me.. logging a ton to check locals and such.. doesn't seem like a normal game mechanic or .. anything I'd like to have. Rather not list the reasons.

12 hours ago, Jaz said:

With the alarms gone I'd suggest to reconsider the ban of Reveal and Get info. 

No notifications solves the penned-within-the-hour issue in itself. Keep the ban of pendulums, Reveal and Get info have their natural balances.

Get-info is one use every 16hours? how many alts with this do you need to scan the server? / on it's own it's harmless, it gets serious when you buy bunch of alts who aren't even prem but can scan the local*(which is how it's going to be used if left to work.. alts will plague the lands for this)
With the price of half copper per ql on gems.. priests are still making it too easy to find.

Not to mention the *somehow praying 24/7 priests* for gems which is probably old practice now.. mining/digging have oversupplied the market with HQ gems... for years to come

7 hours ago, tamat said:

why?
fishing poll says more than half of who answered dont like fishing system and never changed back

It's a Tich project.. could be reworked, modified but main idea will remain, I don't think will will be removed or changed much.
Best you can do is to ridicule the amount of time it takes to make every single item for fishing gear.. and to have a rework making it easier to get the gear's ql and the resources used while fishing.(do some tests, report, wait for brighter future); For example.. spent several hours to make 1 professional fishing rod yesterday.. 'fun times' ?, of course.. if you're curious - there was no time to use it.. it was too late to care for what I started making it.. there's always today/tomorrow.

Edited by Finnn
small edit

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

What exactly is fun about having 5-10 people sponge rarest material in the game and preventing other to reach that forcing them to buy from the partypooper teams?
Why is it bad if the developers make the game FUN for everybody and not just these 5-10 people? I am wondering why actions werent following after the 5th time same team got the loot, as that's a real sign something's wrong, it's too easy or there's no competition, but reward is just as good.. and probably needs something to change..

Frontier's coming whatever that is.. could offer 10x better armor and weapons for rewards, dragon scraps could be worth 2 iron next month, we have no clue.

You have your assumptions of same group taking down all the uniques but wrong, there are several groups competing each other, even single players and luck is going back and forth. That is making the whole process interesting. Additionally just because you don't like to travel, search or pull a team together why is it needed to take away that type of fun from others? Should I constantly complain because I don't like rifts? No. It's my choice to participate or not. Do I "lose" moonmetals and materials that way? Yes. Should I get them just because I also play Wurm? No.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jaz said:

You have your assumptions of same group taking down all the uniques but wrong, there are several groups competing each other, even single players and luck is going back and forth. That is making the whole process interesting. Additionally just because you don't like to travel, search or pull a team together why is it needed to take away that type of fun from others? Should I constantly complain because I don't like rifts? No. It's my choice to participate or not. Do I "lose" moonmetals and materials that way? Yes. Should I get them just because I also play Wurm? No.

Spoiler

By paying for prem in a subscribtion game which supports anything like this I get disgusted for my decision to support the game.
I dont want to support such groups(read the platform for it).

Have your challenges, play 'awesome' with whoever you like, THIS messes with my 'dreams' of having a dragon armor one day.. right now there is no dream that wont ever be possible as it is going.
You and the teams whoever they are, might be.. so on.. are doing it for the money.. I dont want MMs, you dont want mms.. we want the dragon scraps.. + the last goal system wanting you to wear the one than the other dragon armor set this is now officially a goal everybody have pinned in their todo list.

I dont give a **** about the money.. I want to one day get the armor.
Small goals.. 

You do not want to compete who finds it first, it's all about the money.. now as you could lose that control you whine about how that is stupid to shift control back to people.. and to have actual market where we all get a piece..(I dont like the 2silver alts.. that's another meta taking from normally paying 8-10s a month people)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

rift-like raid system?
The so called strategically placed alts with pends seems awfully "gray area" to me.. logging a ton to check locals and such.. doesn't seem like a normal game mechanic or .. anything I'd like to have. Rather not list the reasons.

No, personally I won't suggest a rift-like system. It's not "sandboxy" enough for my taste, that's why I rarely go to rifts. I have been to 3 or 4 rifts only since they got introduced.

I would tie finding uniques to both player and character skill, notably the tracking skill. We can even keep the casted pendulums but make their use and range scale with tracking skill. The need for good tracking skill alone can prevent the army of F2P-alts with pendulums from finding uniques too easily.

However - no matter what method we use to locate them - uniques will always be easier to find on the smaller servers, just due to their small size. A method that may work fine on Indie, Chaos and esp. Xanadu may be too easy on the smaller 8x8 servers. I don't know a perfect solution for this. Personally I would play with the idea of scaling spawn frequency of uniques with server size, with the effect that a unique spawning on the small 8x8 servers would be a pretty rare thing, say once per RL year, while a killed unique on Xanadu would respawn within a few RL weeks. Of course some people will not like that idea. :)

1 hour ago, Finnn said:
  Hide contents

You do not want to compete who finds it first, it's all about the money.. now as you could lose that control you whine about how that is stupid to shift control back to people.. and to have actual market where we all get a piece..(I dont like the 2silver alts.. that's another meta taking from normally paying 8-10s a month people)

Assumptions again - I do not do it for the money - like many others. Luckily my hourly rate in RL is much better than running around looking for uniques. 

And again - anyone is always free to join the competitions. I don't see where it is closed from anyone. 

1 hour ago, Eobersig said:

Personally I would play with the idea of scaling spawn frequency of uniques with server size, with the effect that a unique spawning on the small 8x8 servers would be a pretty rare thing, say once per RL year, while a killed unique on Xanadu would respawn within a few RL weeks. Of course some people will not like that idea. :)

This is something that could work out well, maybe not at the rates you suggest.

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

life.
Well.. you seem to like to RP.. or turn your peasant self to a king or w/e.. That's cool, but I don't want to play your reality, you can be king on your server or be one on chaos.. if whoever there is .. likes the crown on your head, all fine by me. But.. I see no reason for your regular self to somehow rule how I or anybody else should experience the game, IMO we all deserve some FUN and some piece of the pie. 5-10 kids having pager-alerts for twitter and using or not alt horde to stalk dragons to steal that said fun from the rest of the population seems like metagaming to me. Not to mention once a game fills with good number of alts... it means it's dead pile of ... I've played a bunch and had some observations to write this, it's not a good advertisement to see hollow chars around.
Even with the situation for the past year.... I've been around with a few IRL needed breaks to get more time for other things.. I'm still here.. paying and playing.. even with the ###### that have been going on with uniques for what 2-3years now? 

I think you'll be fine if at last things go to a bit saner levels.

There's frontier, budda promised some challenges, try that, you'll have fighting opportunities there, + you wont have to deal with little hide/scale pieces others never had, things could balance and have everybody happy? Maybe?
If you can prem up with real money like the rest and do not depend on the scale/hide to pay your rent and premium status, I see no problem, right? Game goes on, more happy people around, maybe some return after reducing the wogic with uniques, who knows.

You didn't get my point at all. Yes, lore is lore, but it's based on my wurming experience, not otherwise. Real point is Competition part, and reward for getting into this competition.... or lack of rewards for giving up. 

We all have our lives, live is not an excuse. It's always very easy to say "I have lfe, i have no time to travel, pen, put money into hunting, so give me that for free". But yeah... we all have our lives, jobs, families. That's very weak and cheap reason, mostly an excuse for ourselves.

And to calrify- i have no alts other than deed holders, and I'm using them... only to hold my deeds. You call it a fun, but you also miss that hunters that are penning uniques are really putting lots of efforts into that, efforts and also coins. And to them as well as me, getting troubles, loosing hours of playtime, getting mad once or twice is the essence of fun. And slaying itself is just a part to be done.

And to clarify- i found only 2 uniques and helped penning few others, not a big score comparing days/ weeks of traveling around and looking for them. And every unique that i was helping or oganising was public. Sometimes with public loot, sometimes private but with some extra rewards to compensate bones. That's a real cost, weeks of spending my time traveling, when i could do everything else. But when you was building your deeds, houses or grinding, I was just traveling around for no reason. My deed is still unfinished because of that, so now i have to call and cry that I'm missing building deeds fun? Or ask for refund or weekly event when i get 1k of every material if i meet at X point at said hour? No. You are building, you are grinding you find no time for hunting- that fair, I do otherwise. But when you will get mechanics change to refund you everything- i won't get anything. So how is this... more happy people? And yes, you might bring back some old players, but also loose some actual ones. 

You run around in drake/scale? Judging by your avatar. . you seem to like having better armor, why other shouldn't have easier time and equal chances when fighting?

Yes I am, i had several drake/ dragon armors. But you know what? I didn't managed to get them from scraps. If you think that all hunters are hunting them only to make and sell armors, then i'm afraid that you might be wrong. Also you might be wrong if you think that you can't get drake armor without changing mechanics of unique beasts. I'll tell you a secret... i got my first drake set in a month or two. I just bought them. With my wallet?? No. With my trading in game. That's how economy works, I do materials, I craft items, others hunt dragon armors and sell them too. I exchange one thinf to earn for another. And THIS is a thing that anyone can do. Anyone can save coins to buy whatever needs. 
And before "i have life" argument- yes as i said i have too. And before "paywall" argument- i just remind that i've never sold any item in Wurm for real money, so no- my competition style isn't about getting more money. It's about rules and some desency.

Ah, and no I'm not PVP player. I tried it once or twice, but I'm 95% PVE player, just like you. But PVE doesn't mean that we don't compete with each others. 

And why others can't do same thing to get their better armors and better protection as I and many others did? Why they should have it easier than I and great many others? Because what? No time argument? OR lazyness? Or?

I also have no time for many things... so i won't ever get them and i won't blame anyone or anything- except myself and perhaps my terrible scheduling. Everything is possible if you give enough efforts tho. 

Edit: so yeah, if people who are focusing on buildings, grinding skills, living in deeds wants a revenue for not being able to travel across Xanadu etc. Then I want revenue in materials or good gnomes npc who will build my castle that i wasn't able to finish for over 2 years, because i've spent soooo much time traveling. Deal with it.

Edited by Alkhadias
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

The latest group you guys set up with OR was a bid to put an end to any more public dragon slayings that Zor, I and others were trying to achieve. People rave about OR like hes a god for doing public humanoids, people are really dumb. I will say I have hunted with all these people and cannot vouch for honour and decency like they believe is there. The group is to monopolise scale and hide and drive anyone else out. I personally invited most of the people in that group to slayings when OR and I were starting out and then when we saw difference in opinion, ie public dragons, we went separate ways. It saddened me when i saw all those I thought were on the same wavelength go the other way too.

Please do not make out on here that you are all good people hunting for all good reasons, anyone with any sense should realise otherwise. Anyone that has scoured the forums and seen all the dramas over uniques this past year can see what goes on, you would be mad to trust any of the groups advertising to pen your finds. 

Zor and I have quit searching since the formation of a band of so called friends went against us and with the event of a pvp group poaching our find too while we were penning. 

I think this change is a good step forward, and that the devs can see past the lies and poor me syndromes on the forums. 

Edited by LordLouis
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, Wilczan said:

As for uniques.

When unique enter the deed, it should teleport out to the random part of the server (of course not to other deed).

For some time, I was almost only player actively playing on Desertion (day by day). On the same given time, I had red dragon hatchling anchored somwere near my deed, so I had to deal with it each day for few months.

For example, I logged in on my top spire, and I didn't knew that dragon is already in aggro range, but down below, following me.

When I moved on my bridges, between the spires, dragon keep damaging each wall/fence on it's way, trying to follow me.

Or when it cought me down below, I had to run to my mine entrance, but noticed that when I ride through my underground corridor deep into deed, dragon follows the same corresponding patch, but on the surface, instead waiting at the entrance mine door.

If I went deep enough, so on the surface it hit some walls/fences, ofc it started to destroy them.

This is exactly the sort of thing I foresee happening now with this change unless they change the aggro & bashing mechanics of dragons along with it.   In fact the quick penning of dragons was about the only redeeming quality I ever saw with the old system.

But..... in an attempt to make a change that will reduce some of the dragon drama, they will accomplish the exact opposite and create vastly more drama as well as bringing that drama to many, many more people, even potentially those who were previously unaffected.  This needs to be seriously re-thought. 

Yes, dragon-drama needs something done to reduce it but simply making one change like this with no thought to the repercussions is insane, imo.

I read/heard something meant to be somewhat humorous once, not sure where, maybe it was on a forum or a youtube vid or movie or whatever, but it stuck with me and I think fits this situation elegantly.  It was..."Don't do two things half-assed. Just do one thing whole-assed."

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, LordLouis said:

I think this change is a good step forward, and that the devs can see past the lies and poor me syndromes on the forums.

I totally agree, on the surface it's a good change. But it's incomplete and in it's incomplete state is, imo, worse than the current state.  At the very least, since this is a so-called temporary fix (and we all know how these so-called "temp" things go), they need to remove aggro from uniques, or remove the bash mechanic, or both.

• Like 1

We will be changing aggro with legendary creatures and re adding tethers for them. This means they will not spawn within moving range to a deed and will not demolish deeds. 

• Like 8

Will existing uniques have their lairs and tethers tweaked to match or only new spawns?

6 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Will existing uniques have their lairs and tethers tweaked to match or only new spawns?

Probably only new ones, the tether is created at spawn 

Like this update. Always thought legendary monsters should be a legendary struggle to deal with, rather than a janky fence-around to deal with. Look forward to hearing more about Frontier.

• Like 1

I wonder how the market will change with these changes. I'm willing to make a guess.

• Like 1

I don't trust WO to prevent unique creatures from bashing into my deed. (imo, they should be able to bash out of a deed and never spawn on a deed)

And thus, I'm looking for suggestions on securing animals. The only one I can come up with is hitching all horses to vehicles. But Hell horses won't stay hitched to a vehicle. Some animals can't be hitched at all. For me I have a greenish brown bear and some hell horses I'm not sure how to protect.

Thanks for your ideas in advance.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 6:47 AM, Retrograde said:

We will be changing aggro with legendary creatures and re adding tethers for them

the tethers are what cause them to bash 90% of the time though, you try to lure them or they aggro a mob to eat it, they decide they wish to go somewhere after, theres a house inbetween them and their goal, their pathfinding bugs out and they 1 shot the walls. I am almost certain you cant have large enough areas to prevent bashing every time before people find them without straight up removing them from 8x8 servers

tethers were never removed either if they were it didnt work, its currently rng if a unique is locked to an area, is soft leashed or is fully unleashed but i guess thats part of the fun of having literally 0 info on such a thing, who knows if its a bug or not to report it

• Like 4

On 6/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, Retrograde said:

No, it's a code name, we've seen some ideas based on the code name and I can honestly say most of them are incredibly inaccurate, others just being merely inaccurate.

When you play cute with the code name (Frontier) such as this others will come up with their wild speculations or perhaps just re-cute you with ideas of the same sort while chuckling to themselves about it. Yet tomorrow will arrive soon enough for those who have become used to waiting after years of common occurrences in various Wurminition additions.

On 6/23/2019 at 4:47 PM, Retrograde said:

We will be changing aggro with legendary creatures and re adding tethers for them. This means they will not spawn within moving range to a deed and will not demolish deeds. 

This sounds encouraging, although I am not quite sure how these "tethers" function and when/why they were removed for what reasons it was considered wise to do so.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:07 PM, joedobo said:

I don't trust WO to prevent unique creatures from bashing into my deed. (imo, they should be able to bash out of a deed and never spawn on a deed)

Yes, well Dragons can bash their way out of deeds above ground just not from below under certain circumstances. I don't believe that they spawn on deeds either. Really the best thing to do would be for them to be "repulsed" from deeds by some mechanic but then it seems to me that the Devs think that it adds some element of risk or excitement to the game that Dragons should be able to destroy deed fencing and buildings. This perhaps in their eyes also has the "positive" effect of players needing to group together for this protection or be viewed as "saviors" (in their eyes) by those poor peasant Wurmanites in need or their assistance. Maybe also an attempt to "encourage" group interactions for those otherwise not inclined to do so.

Maybe we have finally come to the point where the Devs are willing to protect those deeds that players pay for by not allowing *bashing creature types* to destroy them. Retrograde's quote above seems to indicate this. Time will tell...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 7:20 PM, Finnn said:

You've gone to public slayings... that rarely is for venerable dragons which offer a BIIIIIIIIIGGGGEEEEERRRR weight reward.. than usual younger dragons.

age has 0 effect on scale and young dragons will age back up to venerable in a few days if you leave them alone. age just resets to young on server reboot coz the age field overflows and they revert back to young instead of dying of old age. The amount of scale/hide is completely rng and is split completely evenly with everyone in local, with anyone that' under 35 body strength/70 fight skill or not being a priest will get 75% of what the others get, and the other 25% is destroyed. 2s alts actually remove a decent amount of hide from the pool in that regard. If you had young dragons give less hide then it was either bad rng or someone had stealthed alts nearby that you did not notice, and trust me, that happens at nearly every single slaying no matter how well hidden you think it is.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:20 PM, Finnn said:

The so called strategically placed alts with pends seems awfully "gray area" to me

literally nobody does that it'd show on /who pretty obviously if they did that and i check that every 5 minutes or so to keep track of how many people are hunting, though now that i hear the idea i wish i thought of that, i have something like 30 90+litw seryll pends lying around from when i was trying to cast some 100+ lol.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:04 AM, LordLouis said:

ie public dragons, we went separate ways. It saddened me when i saw all those I thought were on the same wavelength go the other way too.

you unfriended me because i didn't invite you to private slayings lol, you were pissed that jaz and other jke members didn't invite you to private slayings, and you were pissed because finndar (a guy you didn't even talk to afaik) did a private slaying with his friends and you weren't invited. There's probably a bunch more that i can't remember atm. Is your wavelength is "invite me to all your private slayings while i don't provide any private slayings for you and i'll talk trash about you to anyone that listens if you don't" because i'm happy to be on that wavelength lol. I like that you said that my group "was a bid to put an end to any more public dragon slayings that Zor, I and others were trying to achieve" when you were one of the first people invited, we have 0 problem with people in the group making their finds public, and pretty much don't care about whether other groups make their finds public or private. I'm too lazy to make 3x the amount of public slayings i already do as they're a pain in the ass (as i learnt when i used to make every single hatchling + occasional dragons public) to do but if you wish to feel free, just gotta find them, unless us finding them better is a personal attack on you and a prevention of you making them?

On 6/24/2019 at 2:04 AM, LordLouis said:

formation of a band of so called friends went against us

feel free to let us know or pm me what this is about because i'm not aware of anyone going against you. In fact, i even denied a membership application due to someone's actions against you.

8 hours ago, Ayes said:

I don't believe that they spawn on deeds either.

a509a240de9dc2536279286817e589b1.png

They can't spawn *on* the deed but they can spawn 1 tile away from it and walk in just fine. Who knows, they probably can and nobody's seen them to know if its true or not.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

Ultimately these antics helps all of us as its eventually put to an end and the games made better. So thank you. 

Edited by LordLouis
Harsh
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, MrGARY said:

Which is it then?  Or is current bash chance already "reduced"?

I have not so fond GM memories of constantly repairing epic starter deeds because uniques keep being drawn there for safety because some of them never stop chasing and can keep up with rare geared hell horses to the point I was practically begging devs for some update to make them stop bashing starter deeds.

Have also seen other deeds wrecked by uniques wandering over to the deeds for whatever reason.

If you think it has to do with just zones/lairs, then you're sorely mistaken because half the times zones don't even matter.  Desertion had a red dragon that was known for being spotted at literally all ends of the map even chasing me on a hell horse for 1/4th the map before i got it to stop chasing by breaking its aggro by confusing it in a mine, and I've dragged giants/dragons hundreds of tiles to lock them in mines away from peoples deeds.  Other people have dragged dragons hundreds (probably thousands tbh) of tiles to bring them to an organized slay spot.  It's a coin toss as to if they are a unique that will stop following you and return to their spawn zone or not.

The only reason it's not a widespread issue on freedom now is because they are penned and killed so fast.  Once you get full/smaller freedom servers with all options of living uniques because they aren't found like they are now, I imagine freedomers will start complaining

and This ^ is What I mean when i've said   sometimes the very worst thing is getting what you asked for, for sometimes people know not what they are really asking, haven't thought through all the angles and ramifications but instead have a visceral reaction to something they don't like and want it changed. 

Some of this comes from the nature of no attention span sound bite culture that can't be arsed with full words, a complete sentence tldr.  US today used to be a frontier type newspaper first to give you news in the form of sound bites vs long novellas of the typical paper.  This is just an extension of it..read three words yah yah i know all on the matter now...

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 1

Perhaps it will be a 'You don't know what you have until its gone' scenario and people will play nicer on the reworked ideas. After all it is a small community here not a massive mmo, it shouldn't be divided, friendly and healthy competition is good. In the end we are all a rare type of person that all enjoy the same rare unique game. Should be more like family than enemies. 

• Like 4

On 6/27/2019 at 6:18 PM, LordLouis said:

Ultimately these antics helps all of us as its eventually put to an end and the games made better. So thank you. 

I suspect this is more what cecci may have been thinking when saying is this even about scale or drake.  She is a deep thinker from my observation and sometimes speaks philosophically.  It is clear there is much more that people are bent on then just the loot, but drives deep into the core of who we are and how others make us feel about that.

I have also found some of the strongest disagreements come from the very nature you are more alike than different and that is what is eating you the most, your own self type thing.  I can think of some players in game I admire yet had such difficulty with them in some capacities and in truth it was more how alike we are than different, just stylistically different.  I"m suprised most to see OR have so many words, he's got some explaining to do , loool he'll know what that means.  I don't like to see people selling each other out for a few copper, has happened to many times and the friendships mean so much more than that.  I say swallow some pride, and dismiss the differences and more focus on what you share among each other.  There is alot of mutual healthy competative respect between each, and it's easy to make wrong assumptions when operating from a place other than centered in the moment where you are on time and in balance and at peace with things around you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LordLouis said:

Perhaps it will be a 'You don't know what you have until its gone' scenario and people will play nicer on the reworked ideas. After all it is a small community here not a massive mmo, it shouldn't be divided, friendly and healthy competition is good. In the end we are all a rare type of person that all enjoy the same rare unique game. Should be more like family than enemies. 

I must have been channeling you, for you wrote on the same theme as I with out each knowing it, see ie supra. 

You are one of the notables of the community, and though i've not always had the easiest time with OR in communication, he is a far better human than made out to be merely with flaws like the rest of us.  Our community is small, but it is the "US" that makes the community great, lets not lose site of that along the way.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 10:47 PM, MrGARY said:

Nothing to combat the soon to be unknown to exist uniques that bash into deeds?  Keeping spawn points away from deeds hasn't worked so far

Would be nice if they could be coded to just not bash walls on deed and have them periodically scan and if theres deed tiles nearby and it doesn't have a path away, teleport to a new random tile on the map

That could be a really cool concept. Give the dragon some kind of "flight" ability that it can use if it's trapped on a deed and just let it fly away some random large number of tiles in a random direction.