Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 086

VMNLpOB.png

What do you find at the end of a rainbow? (See bottom of post for answer)

Greetings Wurmians!

Apologies for the delay, renovations at the house led to no power, which of course leads to no Wurm, the horror!

Legendary problems

The next update is scheduled for the 27th of June, and has a specific change planned for it. With this update we'll be removing the ability for Legendary creatures to be located via any location method, GetInfo, Reveal creatures (cast and rune) and pendulums will no longer be able to find Legendary creatures. In addition, we will be changing the Legendary creature spawn requirements to be able to spawn anywhere (with a buffer around deeds). This is a short term solution to come in this update, with a much larger rework planned, although no firm timeframe when as we have Frontier and Epic to work on next. 

The vote is in!
As you may have all seen, the vote about the reset of Elevation is a landslide! We approached with the intention of weighting towards caution but it's a clear 10:1 split in favour of resetting it. 

As such, we have begun the process of organising our resources to have Elevation reset. the planned dates are:
Server goes down 9th July
Server goes up with new map 11th July

The reason for this is all the behind the scenes database work, as the new Elevation will contain some specific changes to the server (items not transferring and such).

I know you're all keen to go into details, as such I'll be hosting a devstream with Darklords and Ausimus this Saturday at 10pm GMT to talk all about the Elevation update. So tune in then!

Shadows
A sneak peek this week (heh) is the new shadow system coming soon! With the current shadows being very faint and most items looking like they dont have one, Samool has been working on improving that, and it certainly shows!

z9bnYuY.jpg

vZCb3pY.jpg

Indy event
The independence event will be launching next Friday, and will run the entire month of July! It will not be a one off time event, but much like the midsummers event of the past, where you can run it at any time. 
A small villager of the Howl, Julia has found out Independence is 10 years old, and wants to throw a party! She'll need your help though, you'll have to travel around and invite a whole bunch of people, with 4 stages!

If you invite 1-3, you will get a common version of the reward, 4-6 you will get a rare, 7-9 you will get a supreme, and if you invite all 10, a fantastic version! We'll have info on the start date next week!

Community Content
This weeks community content is wiluss with their back to nature project! 

Wiluss is travelling around terraforming some areas to give them more of a natural look. You can see their work on this forum thread here! 

Nice work Wilus!

That's it from us this week everyone, I hope to see many of you this Saturday, makes it far less awkward than talking to an empty room, I've checked. Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

(a 'w') 

• Like 18

look at those shadows, very nice...

ps first

sounds like a really cool event but im a little confused, its it like invite a npc kinda thing or the more people we bring on a boat the better?

cant wait for the fun-fest this July, good job dev teams on coming this far and doing so much.

not a fan on the legendary solution tho, dont get to play much as some but still. the people who are able to play all hours of the day usally get the unique, as they overplay the game and im fine with that. would rather see a no deed or a server wide short term reward system.

Edited by ZeldaGold
good job wilus also

45 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

With this update we'll be removing the ability for Legendary creatures to be located via any location method, GetInfo, Reveal creatures (cast and rune) and pendulums will no longer be able to find Legendary creatures.

Remove twitter alerts too

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, ZeldaGold said:

not a fan on the legendary solution tho, dont get to play much as some but still. the people who are able to play all hours of the day usally get the unique, as they overplay the game and im fine with that. would rather see a no deed or a server wide short term reward system.

There should be no reason why someone should be able to create a ton of no prem alts with pendulums to find uniques and pen them within an hour of them spawning. If you can't see this change as beneficial to stop this practice, then I don't know what would. Personally I think this is a great change in the right direction and will once again allow for the proper hunting of uniques and the ocassional bumping into one by accident, like it used to be.

5 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. 

• Like 7

Nothing to combat the soon to be unknown to exist uniques that bash into deeds?  Keeping spawn points away from deeds hasn't worked so far

Would be nice if they could be coded to just not bash walls on deed and have them periodically scan and if theres deed tiles nearby and it doesn't have a path away, teleport to a new random tile on the map

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Nothing to combat the soon to be unknown to exist uniques that bash into deeds?  Keeping spawn points away from deeds hasn't worked so far

Would be nice if they could be coded to just not bash walls on deed and have them periodically scan and if theres deed tiles nearby and it doesn't have a path away, teleport to a new random tile on the map

Well its a temporary measure. What they are doing now do not change how they behave. It only changes how they are located. They already said in the past and here that it will be looked into. 

I suspect that Frontier will have something to do with them not wanting to touch the code. Most likely the behavior of uniques will be impacted with the release of Frontier. That's my guess anyways,

The issues with them bashing deeds came from dragons being tied to zones that happen to include deeds. That said the amount of bashing likeliness has been reduced 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The next update is scheduled for the 27th of June, and has a specific change planned for it. With this update we'll be removing the ability for Legendary creatures to be located via any location method, GetInfo, Reveal creatures (cast and rune) and pendulums will no longer be able to find Legendary creatures. In addition, we will be changing the Legendary creature spawn requirements to be able to spawn anywhere (with a buffer around deeds). This is a short term solution to come in this update, with a much larger rework planned, although no firm timeframe when as we have Frontier and Epic to work on next. 

Oh yes! Xanadu will become fun again!

• Like 1

event sounds really cool, happy to hear about unique rework, looks like you guys are taking feedback ;)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wiolo said:

Oh yes! Xanadu will become fun again!

Xanadu is the place that is closest to the desired state of popping randomly into uniques. Removing Twitter alarms would bring that closer on the smallest servers too.

• Like 1

I personally agree with the legendary changes as it will add a bit more suspense, but I also agree with the above posters. If possible, please do something a bit more to help combat deed bashing.

...And I propose Gary priest to be reworked since Lurker in the Woods will now become useless. He only has two passives which seems pretty unfair. All other priest types have 5 to 8 passives.

Make Gary Great Again!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Legendary problems

If you plan to translate that abomination to Unlimited, please do it in such a way that server admins can toggle it off, as (at least on sklotopolis) we don't have silver sellers to cater to, making our slayings public, and the penning is just about keeping it off people's deeds while we pick a date. 

Xiè xiè

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

And server notifications as well.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Challenge said:

I personally agree with the legendary changes as it will add a bit more suspense, but I also agree with the above posters. If possible, please do something a bit more to help combat deed bashing.

...And I propose Gary priest to be reworked since Lurker in the Woods will now become useless. He only has two passives which seems pretty unfair. All other priest types have 5 to 8 passives.

Make Gary Great Again!

Thanks!

Imo if server and Twitter notifications are removed it wouldn't be that much of a problem that pendulum locates them...

But this is certainly better than current situation

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

If you plan to translate that abomination to Unlimited

I'd say just DON'T... the WU code is public, meaning that any changes done to make uniques accessible to all would be found out and exploited again... New system for Online only and keep that code part of the Online only code.

And on a finding out note, like it was mentionned before:

• Remove both twitter AND server announcements
  • Remove the hardcoded 2 weeks period between spawns since it make the new one predictable

Those are quick code changes which would help with the current issue. Now more code intensive changes could be added like the following :

• making the uniques warp to a new location every 2 weeks (or a random value based on that)
  • after a few days (or at the uniques warp), give a hint in the event tab when players ACTIVELLY TRAVEL around on the server (like "you hear loud rumbling in the distance")
  • remove tomes / bones drop from the uniques, introduce bone shards and valrei ink instead that would be split amongst all the active hunters (read the ones who stab the mob)
  • Maybe add uniques to rifts events with enough attendance / participation to catter to the population need for public slayings.
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Odynn said:

I'd say just DON'T... the WU code is public, meaning that any changes done to make uniques accessible to all would be found out and exploited again... New system for Online only and keep that code part of the Online only code.

And on a finding out note, like it was mentionned before:

• Remove both twitter AND server announcements
  • Remove the hardcoded 2 weeks period between spawns since it make the new one predictable

Those are quick code changes which would help with the current issue. Now more code intensive changes could be added like the following :

• making the uniques warp to a new location every 2 weeks (or a random value based on that)
  • after a few days (or at the uniques warp), give a hint in the event tab when players ACTIVELLY TRAVEL around on the server (like "you hear loud rumbling in the distance")
  • remove tomes / bones drop from the uniques, introduce bone shards and valrei ink instead that would be split amongst all the active hunters (read the ones who stab the mob)
  • Maybe add uniques to rifts events with enough attendance / participation to catter to the population need for public slayings.

I agree with first part, but those under your more code intensive changes, few points I'd like to address here:

1: For helping finding uniques warping could be useful. But, it also makes it more difficult to arrange slaying, be it private or public. At least unless there is some sort of timer that allows you to know exactly when it would warp. Nothing like announcing public slaying in middle of Xanadu, having them travel hour(s) from server border just to discover unique just warped out (would be classic if it did it in middle of fight though:) and nobody has a clue where it is.

2nd point: Not sure what you mean with actively travel? Do you mean it would give indication if you are close to unique? That could, especially on smaller servers, still be used to spam characters running around just to see that message in event. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are after here.

3rd: I kind of like this idea. Bones/tomes could then be like scale/hide. Up to you to decide if you hold on to the stuff to (very) slowly gather enough for making one. Or simply sell/buy the pieces to get what you want. BUT, the downside then is no "guaranteed" price for whoever pens the unique. At least from point of view of public slaying, you'll end up just paying silvers for the happiness of slaying. Some of us will still do it, but I totally understand it making private slayings even more of a thing. - So to promote more public slayings I would vote against this part unless tweaked in some way.

4th: Would be fun if enough attendance is tweaked right. In some rifts it would have led to lot of carnage, dying and screaming, followed with rampaging unique in more or less known area. So depends how well balanced this would be.

So i've talked with quite a few people about the unique change, most coming to me to ask my opinion on it, so i've had a bit of time thinking about this against my own will

What exactly is the problem being fixed?

Is it uniques are found too fast giving whoever's online when it spawns a huge advantage? I called pendulums being broken from the second they were in the priest overhaul notes in test and suggested to only have them work on 16x16 and 32x32 and you didn't listen, i'll be sure to mention this every chance i get retro mark my words

Removing pendulums would fix this, but i'm not sure why get info/reveal creatures is also in this if that's the case, before the pendulum update most uniques wouldn't be penned for hours to a day or two after they spawned, unless someones gone full autism (me lol) and wants to spend hours driving an alt around and using hundreds/sometimes even over a thousand ql of gems. Searching by eye and searching with reveal is pretty much about the same on average, eyesight you can run around faster but you might miss smaller uniques easier, whereas reveal creatures makes sure you don't miss them at the expense of having to wait 40 seconds to cast it. Of course this depends on the unique (a raging dragon you'd just go by eyesight coz it'd aggro you from a local away and reveal creatures would slow you down, whereas a scared/diseased goblin leader you'd have to almost be on their tile for them to aggro, so you'd be wasting your time unless you used reveal creatures because it's near 0 aggro range alongside being extremely small to see especially in wooded areas/on top of mountains). Even years ago this spell was a thing and uniques could be roaming for days/weeks, hell even a red dragon was alive for about 6 months on indy so close to a highway that he'd aggro you as you ran past from dec2017-may2018 with only about a month of that actually being in a cave. Maybe hundreds of people saw him but they just got gibbed by him and were too scared to return i don't know, all i know was he attacked people on the highway and lived there for a few months. Or the goblin leader on xanadu i found after pendulums started working on uniques, he was quite literally 5 tiles away from the highway between newspring and lormere when i found him and had to drag him back to a rockface, he was there for 5 months. Point is reveal creatures hitting uniques is far from unbalanced and i don't really see why it'd be removed. 

Is it people are travelling from server to server to find uniques? As long as there's a notification that it spawns, people are gonna come in and search for it. Uniques spawn on an extremely predictable basis to the point where i'd start logging in my search alt 30 seconds before the spawn windows so if one spawned i'd already be logged in, so i don't think removing just the twitter alone would be enough albeit a step in the right direction, the 14 day cooldown between spawns, the spawns based on server uptime (lower spawn chance to match the average spawn time it has now) as well as "rumours of the venerable x" should all be removed if this is the case. Who exactly is giving me these rumors with 100% accuracy, should be "verified reports of the venerable x have been sent by the king" or each rumors message only has like a 10% chance to be real or something fun, seeing as this game loves rng. or at least move the server reboot to two hours later so you stop interrupting me having dinner at a reasonable time with uniques spawns, that's cool too

Is it that people are being excluded from such things for not being in a unique hunting clique and that's against the spirit of the game or something? Public slayings are a hassle to set up, between people never listening to what you tell them, lag/crashing issues with lots of people in local which could even prevent you from bringing as many accounts as you want therefore lowering how much you get from it, having to set up fences and alt areas and make sure everythings secure so somebody doesn't steal it after you post the location, combined with the ever popular more people in local means less loot for you that comes with public dragon and drake slayings. By hosting a public slaying you're lowering the amount of loot you get for 10/14 uniques, lowering the value/rate at which you can sell them for all uniques if you're a market man, bringing in unnecessary risk towards yourself, and all you get in reward is a couple of people saying thanks as they sail away in a knarr full of alts with more loot than you got for finding and hosting the damn thing and some pm's from idiots calling you greedy because you didn't roll loot on an already public slaying. A year ago i loved the idea of bringing everyone together for slayings and i'd get annoyed when people would slay humanoids privately but between people doing stupid ###### and all the random insults i got in pm's after all i can think is they have the right idea. Can't really patch that though.

For the actual searching part, there's a lot of FUD about how hard it is to search and all that junk and people seem to have bought it. Can totally search by yourself especially with a pendulum, wouldn't be that hard to form a search party with your alliance on w/e server you're on. No matter what you do, someone is going to say "its not fair they have an advantage so great i can't do it so i'm just gonna sit on my deed and be mad instead of searching". First it was people from chaos were coming over in huge groups and its pointless to search since they'll find it first, then the freedom unique hunting groups formed and it was suddenly the private groups are here in large groups and it's pointless to search since they'll find it first and then it was something else probably i don't really keep up with it but i'm sure theres some excuse like you need 109litw and full fantastic horsegear to find them or something idk, completely ignoring the fact that rng could have dropped it right next to your deed and all you need to do is look outside.

Now, for the actual searching part itself, and how the changes effect it

For an 8x8 server, I'd say it's not that much different than how it was before the priest rework. As said above looking by eye and using reveal creatures were fairly balanced against each other, looking by eye means you can cover more ground in a shorter time but the effectiveness of this depended on the type of unique you were hunting, how good your eyesight is, the terrain you're searching in, and the weather (if its fog you may as well log out), whereas reveal creatures was much slower but means everywhere you searched was 100% clear of uniques. I personally liked reveal because i'm the kind of person to second guess everything and reveal creatures and a good understanding of the map meant you would almost never run past a unique and not catch it, some of my friends searched only by eyesight because they loathed the idea of having a priest just to hunt uniques and they found plenty of uniques too. But with the removal of every single form of locating a unique, the difficulty of finding uniques has shifted around. Something like a goblin leader is tiny and has a very small aggro range, and runs so slow you can outrun it in plate, if it's' in a forest or on a mountain, finding one of these via eyesight is going to be tremendously harder than finding a dragon, which is massive, occasionally spreads its wings out and is probably 5+ meters tall when doing so. The troll king and goblin leader look fairly similar to their normal mob counterparts apart from wearing a hat and *maybe* having some followers but that seems to be useless like always, as they don't spawn with any followers only gather them, so unless they spawn near a group of them they'll be alone. i've only ever found 1 troll king with trolls following him, and never ever found a goblin leader with followers except on epic where they had been alive for years and roamed around the map, even mr xanadu GL mentioned above didnt have any followers after 5 months coz they're spawner only. The hatchlings are smaller than the dragons and have the same change but i don't think its a big enough of a change to notice any difference,and the FG/kyklops are big and unique looking enough that you're not going to mistake them for anything else. The traits that change how far a unique will aggro from will have massive impacts on how hard it is to find them seeing as a unique sprinting straight at you makes their presence very well known.

Personally i think that no twitter or rumours messages would be more than enough to make them "accessible" to anyone that wants to try their luck searching a server that may have a unique on it while keeping the chance for someone that travels on that server to run into one by accident. 

You'll probably still see the same groups of people finding uniques as you did in the past no matter what you do, as they're the ones going out and searching for them constantly. I don't think this change does anything except make them take longer to do their goal, but i'll have to see what the proper rework is like to comment on it.

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

In addition, we will be changing the Legendary creature spawn requirements to be able to spawn anywhere (with a buffer around deeds).

If you're making a buffer around deeds that'd make spawns on 8x8 pve servers very predictable, for example, rifts have a buffer around deeds and i think theres like 3 places on each server that they spawn, kind of defeats the purpose of the removing pendulums to increase the amount of time before they're found or whatever it is you're trying to do, and instead pushes it towards secret group with their info gathered over the time they've been searching has a much greater chance of finding uniques. i'm not really sure what you're trying to do though tbh

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The issues with them bashing deeds came from dragons being tied to zones that happen to include deeds. That said the amount of bashing likeliness has been reduced 

How does that change a dragon aggroing you and chasing you into a deed and then bashing, or someone luring it into a deed to deliberately bash it, or it camps you when you spawn because it won't move because it sees you in the respawn menu as a target on the tile you died and will sit there aggrod on your corpse and instantly sprint at you wherever you spawn nearby, endlessly dunking you as soon as you spawn until someone can come lure it away? uniques bashing deeds isn't really that big of a concern unless someone deliberately leads them to it or you're super unlucky, there's much bigger problems than a couple of walls getting knocked down that comes with a unique in the deed uninvited

• Like 9

Thinking more about the unique changes removing all alerts but leaving means to find them - and more random spawn times would induce much more travels on servers, with the remark of pendulums are OP for sure.

I did search them before pends and without a priest only time needed is the difference.

On the contrary more random spawn times and no alerts would change the game.

About the other changes:

Shadows look amazing! I hope with the update the currently sometimes very dark shadows will also be lighter a bit.

I'm looking forward to the event thank you that it is not a single day!

2 hours ago, Nestangol said:

1: For helping finding uniques warping could be useful. But, it also makes it more difficult to arrange slaying, be it private or public. At least unless there is some sort of timer that allows you to know exactly when it would warp. Nothing like announcing public slaying in middle of Xanadu, having them travel hour(s) from server border just to discover unique just warped out (would be classic if it did it in middle of fight though:) and nobody has a clue where it is.

true, the main goal is to help find hiding uniques to a new spot and prevent perma penning of them, having them warp away mid fight or something would be an issue... maybe make the warp timer reset when a player interact with the critter... either by being chewed by them or aggroing it to pen and secure it

2nd point: Not sure what you mean with actively travel? Do you mean it would give indication if you are close to unique? That could, especially on smaller servers, still be used to spam characters running around just to see that message in event. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are after here.

land travel, not just sailing around, maybe tied to riding or walking and only X days after the spawn to tell players on the server on a one by one basis that something is here... and not a server wide broadcast. And no, not tied to the unique location... we don't want a bees like system.

3rd: I kind of like this idea. Bones/tomes could then be like scale/hide. Up to you to decide if you hold on to the stuff to (very) slowly gather enough for making one. Or simply sell/buy the pieces to get what you want. BUT, the downside then is no "guaranteed" price for whoever pens the unique. At least from point of view of public slaying, you'll end up just paying silvers for the happiness of slaying. Some of us will still do it, but I totally understand it making private slayings even more of a thing. - So to promote more public slayings I would vote against this part unless tweaked in some way.

3rd is tied to 4. I strongly believe we need both public and private slayings. Some people don't want to bother with the search, penning, efforts involved in preparing the kill and securing the victory. While others do enjoy that part of playing with the beasts, taunting it, luring it around almost way more than the actual slaying. The loot tied to some real value is probably one of the core issues of the uniques for all I care, I'd say : just remove the loot, let us have a challenge from time to time... but most would dissagree about a challenge with no rewards.

4th: Would be fun if enough attendance is tweaked right. In some rifts it would have led to lot of carnage, dying and screaming, followed with rampaging unique in more or less known area. So depends how well balanced this would be.

It would be a matter of how many peoples are here (5 peeps rifts... maybe a weak goblin leader would be doable)... 15 to 20 anything up to some weak dragons ... more people... bigger harder mobs (ven champ dragons anyone?)... and scale the loot amount with to the presents peeps (maybe a hardcoded minimum) - which is where point 3 is counterbalanced. Rifts already gather some data about players attendance for the rewards... with the number of players and their participation score maybe something can be done to find out which unique would be a decent task for the rift, a new grand finale which might make rifts more interesting to do at their fullest and bring more people to actually work together... without having to deal with the whole slaying organisation.

• Like 1

Nice update, and well done on the unique changes! It's a start and has clearly hit a nerve or two. Looking forward very much to see the rest of the new unique system changes, the Frontier etc. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Odynn said:

land travel, not just sailing around, maybe tied to riding or walking and only X days after the spawn to tell players on the server on a one by one basis that something is here... and not a server wide broadcast. And no, not tied to the unique location... we don't want a bees like system.

--- Still not sure exactly what you are proposing. But still seems exploitable by multiple alts running around. Not sure how many people would bother though. So maybe not a big problem.

50 minutes ago, Odynn said:

3rd is tied to 4. I strongly believe we need both public and private slayings. Some people don't want to bother with the search, penning, efforts involved in preparing the kill and securing the victory. While others do enjoy that part of playing with the beasts, taunting it, luring it around almost way more than the actual slaying. The loot tied to some real value is probably one of the core issues of the uniques for all I care, I'd say : just remove the loot, let us have a challenge from time to time... but most would dissagree about a challenge with no rewards.

It would be a matter of how many peoples are here (5 peeps rifts... maybe a weak goblin leader would be doable)... 15 to 20 anything up to some weak dragons ... more people... bigger harder mobs (ven champ dragons anyone?)... and scale the loot amount with to the presents peeps (maybe a hardcoded minimum) - which is where point 3 is counterbalanced. Rifts already gather some data about players attendance for the rewards... with the number of players and their participation score maybe something can be done to find out which unique would be a decent task for the rift, a new grand finale which might make rifts more interesting to do at their fullest and bring more people to actually work together... without having to deal with the whole slaying organisation.

---- Removing loot would be ok for me personally. But yeah, realistically thinking, with no reward we (not would or might but will) have small attendance. Especially if it comes with possible death (loss of stats). So there has to be reward with uniques or everyone will just let them roam free hoping it doesn't hit their backyard. And with reward always comes some drama. So agreed here.

--- For rifts most people are ok fighters, but there is no way (nor should there be under current system imo) to limit bringing alts standing around or having people otherwise in local. Especially if you would still get reward for being in local for the unique as with current system (blood/scale/hide), people would start bringing alts, just in case unique pops up. That would screw up current rift mechanism at least afaik.

Basically the only way to tackle this issue is a redesign. Drama, not being part of the clique etc. I mentioned a clear example on how to find a solution to this in another thread. Oblivion made some interesting points also and so did Odynn. Cause you can't stop unique hunters in reality unless you put blindfolds over us next.

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

[...]

Is it that people are being excluded from such things for not being in a unique hunting clique and that's against the spirit of the game or something? Public slayings are a hassle to set up, between people never listening to what you tell them, lag/crashing issues with lots of people in local which could even prevent you from bringing as many accounts as you want therefore lowering how much you get from it, having to set up fences and alt areas and make sure everythings secure so somebody doesn't steal it after you post the location, combined with the ever popular more people in local means less loot for you that comes with public dragon and drake slayings. By hosting a public slaying you're lowering the amount of loot you get for 10/14 uniques, lowering the value/rate at which you can sell them for all uniques if you're a market man, bringing in unnecessary risk towards yourself, and all you get in reward is a couple of people saying thanks as they sail away in a knarr full of alts with more loot than you got for finding and hosting the damn thing and some pm's from idiots calling you greedy because you didn't roll loot on an already public slaying. A year ago i loved the idea of bringing everyone together for slayings and i'd get annoyed when people would slay humanoids privately but between people doing stupid ###### and all the random insults i got in pm's after all i can think is they have the right idea. Can't really patch that though.

[...]

What you described here is the problem. Not the way to locate the uniques, not the way to pen then, but the greedyness of the player community when it comes to slaying uniques.

Right now, everyone who's in local of the slain unique gets blood and something else (like hide or scales) as a reward, when  they are in local the moment the unique is killed. You don't have to fight it, you just have to stand there and watch it geting killed. That's it.

Like you said, it's because of that private hunting teams have formed and although I don't like that idea, I do understand the motives. After all, if just a small group risks their char's life - so to speak - while a group twice or trice the fighter's size just stands there waiting for the final blow, so they can have the drops in  their inventory.
It's not something you see at unique slayings, it's something that happens at Rifts as well; where you got 10-15 fighters and as soon as the last heart is sacced, 25 "players" harvesting the items.

It's like being at the Superbowl finals, where everyone in the stadium - including the players -  gets a 1,000 dollar reward, and the player scoring the winning touchdown gets the ball as reward as well. I'm pretty sure not a single sportsclub would even consider to participate in the superbowl anymore, as they would loose a lot of money because of it.

[edit]

While typing this, the two post above mine were posted. As a result, I sorta brought up a solution to what Nestangol posted:

--- For rifts most people are ok fighters, but there is no way (nor should there be under current system imo) to limit bringing alts standing around or having people otherwise in local. Especially if you would still get reward for being in local for the unique as with current system (blood/scale/hide), people would start bringing alts, just in case unique pops up. That would screw up current rift mechanism at least afaik.

[/edit]

The best solution - imho - would be to give the loot only to those who do the actual fighting. And I know a lot of people don't like this idea, but at least keep in mind it's a lot more fair as current system is.

Rifts got a tracker about who's hitting the Rift spawn the most; that list of names would also be the persons who're "allowed" to harvest the materials.

For uniques it would be a lot more fair if those who do the fighting get rewarded. Perhaps tie the rewards to those who have been targeting the Unique - meaning, if you want loot at that non-prem alt, you need to risk its life - or perhaps handing out the rewards to those who actually hit it, or are being hit by it - as I've seen people fighting a dragon, getting hit but never managed to hit it themselves.

It may not be the solution of getting rid of private hunting groups, but at least it would prevent the use of Alt-abuse when it comes to slaying uniques. Which in turn would make it a lot more beneficial and fun to have public slayings, instead of private ones.

Thorin :)

Edited by Thorinoakshield
adjusted post based upon two posts above
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

The best solution - imho - would be to give the loot only to those who do the actual fighting. And I know a lot of people don't like this idea, but at least keep in mind it's a lot more fair as current system is.

Rifts got a tracker about who's hitting the Rift spawn the most; that list of names would also be the persons who're "allowed" to harvest the materials.

For uniques it would be a lot more fair if those who do the fighting get rewarded. Perhaps tie the rewards to those who have been targeting the Unique - meaning, if you want loot at that non-prem alt, you need to risk its life - or perhaps handing out the rewards to those who actually hit it, or are being hit by it - as I've seen people fighting a dragon, getting hit but never managed to hit it themselves.

It may not be the solution of getting rid of private hunting groups, but at least it would prevent the use of Alt-abuse when it comes to slaying uniques. Which in turn would make it a lot more beneficial and fun to have public slayings, instead of private ones.

Thorin :)

Just to point one thing here. Lot of people have more than one character able to fight uniques. I looked up random report at niarja. The unique had 15 or 16 slayers. Out of those I know for a fact 9 char belong to 3 players (3 per player). The rest almost certainly same thing, but not 100% sure.

I personally could bring 3-5 (depending on your definition of) decent enough fighters to fight uniques (if my poor laptop could handle more than 2 char at same time now). So this limitation might not help that much and might just make it more difficult for real new(ish) players.

Still requiring more than just being in local would be better than current system. (ps. Doesn't the character need to be premium to receive blood/scale/hide?)

But any suggestion that promotes public slayings over private gets my plus1

• Like 1