Sign in to follow this  
Bloodscythe

Player Impact on another Player

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

jbZcy9K.jpg

 

I've played this game for a good many a year and long hour into the day as well.  I"m quite sure I've even grown longer in the tooth from the lapse of such time.  It's been a winding road of adventure much like an unknown yet treacherous hiking trail.  Along the way you meet some beautiful people, and you think wow this game is great but it truly is the community that makes the game. 

 

I often hear when someone expresses their feelings about something in the game, someone not wanting to care, not wanting to hear it, not having capacity to have concern for another often will say it's just a game.  But is it?  For those that play casually I can see that being  so.  For those that have played what appears daily for years, does it not become something more?  Don't you build bridges into other"s worlds, share parts of yourself and others share parts in return?  Have not relationships emerged like a nascent plant sprout and unfurled into a romantic relationship and beyond into marriage?  Haven't players helped other players in emotional support through difficult life events whether financial, or health , or relationship related?

 

Even the the most brutal combat hardened players , much due to the immense hours needed , teamwork required, and experiences shared in what it takes to be part of a pvp kingdom..have forged life long friends and bonded beyond the parameters of the game.  It's not uncommon to hear of people within the wurm gaming community to travel about visiting other wurmians in real life beyond the computer.  This surely has to be more than a game yes?

 

How about the other side of the coin, the darker less glowing underbelly side.  Sometimes the congregation of real people in a cyber world clash and result in hurt feelings.  Sometimes it's easier to not care or give a .... what you say or do to another cause it's some where yonder not real, not reality..but is that true?  Are the emotions the same as real life? are the negative actions committed against another not experienced the same way as in real life? It's easy to see how someone can be unhappy about a small scale scam of merchandise for coin or coin sale for real life money gone wrong.  Is that not real? and more than just a game?  What about accounts that have been hacked or communication systems breached used by players in game without consent, does it not leave someone with a feeling of loss and foolishness at a deep level.  If just a game, are these levels of emotions unfounded or justified?  Imagine also building those same connections with others mentioned above that lent to so many beautiful things beyond the game..now lets take that portion away, lets say you build what you thought was a friendship, to then find the person used you and feels no emotion about it.  As you try to reconcile that in your mind, sometimes you attempt to reconcile that with them and you get cold empty nothing back.  Does that not gut a person left without closure to an unforeseen circumstance that is not part of the game play mechanics.

 

what does the term rage quit really mean?  At some level it's about some dissatisfaction where negative emotions build to a boiling point and one logs out not to log in again because the experience was so resoundingly unpleasant.  Sometimes there are also personal attacks meant to diminish another as a way to make the aggressor feel better about themselves or appear smarter, better, or more cool.  I've also seen where a player has run a string of bad luck and suffered loss in game, and one or a few people will readily provide an entire new setup of tools and gear, armor, weapons, animals, transportation utility carts and wagons.  The entire range of emotions can be seen expressed and felt in the game.  The idea of also paying it forward is another real aspect to this game.  Where  a random act of kindness done for you, is then done for another by  you when you have the means, time, way, space to do so.  Is that a game? or a way of being?

 

I have been pondering some of these thoughts when pondering impacts players have had on me good and bad , as well as impacts I may have had on others good and bad.  Is it also unreasonable then for someone to have you feel so bad through words said, unsaid, cruel actions, actions of malice or cavalier , that you'd quit the game?  It's just a game right?

 

Now because we are a mix of people with differing opinions, capacities, nature, personalities I know this can lend to troll postings that lack regard for a cheap laugh, that I can't stop.  Aside, it'd be interesting to hear others thoughts on It's Just a game.

 

Edited by Bloodscythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been on both sides of the coin, can say it's easier to be the guy that takes and show's no emotion because we're on the interwebz and you don't know that person so morality is not even issue as it would be in face to face scenario. But when face comes to shove, the same emotions that you would display in a real life scenario do show up. But I like to think of it as more than a game in the case of Wurm because for me the only reason I play it is for the community and those close friends i've come to make over the years. 

Edited by Loink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think sometimes u over think that people are against you .and it turns out it was just a moment in time and they moved on and you shouldn't worry no more . i respect anyone who has been here a long time as it shows commitment to something ,   I dare not interupt the funny ass comments I read now and again which make my day .we have great people shy and funny and those with problems .we are wurm greatest game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, christopher said:

I think sometimes u over think that people are against you .and it turns out it was just a moment in time and they moved on and you shouldn't worry no more . i respect anyone who has been here a long time as it shows commitment to something ,   I dare not interupt the funny ass comments I read now and again which make my day .we have great people shy and funny and those with problems .we are wurm greatest game

I'm not sure I even know you, so that is curious you would have such insight to me.  Nor do I have this sense that people are against me unless they use words that suggest so by being antagonisitic, pejorative, or malicious.  I think you missed the point about the post as a notion of Is it more than a game and reduced it to an observation of myself , from a person I don't know.  This post isn't about me but about the idea of is it just a game, are the experiences in game something inconsequential, or does the game take on a life of it's own.  Thank you for your opinion of me just the same from wherever that came.  I do share your amusement about peoples comments, they can be very fun and do fact make my day as well for I am a person often in laughter, joke, and humor.  The community is indeed great and it is what makes the game to include yes the shy ones, the funny ones, ones with problems,  the tall ones, the short ones, the thin ones,  the fat ones, the places from all over the world where different cultural aspects lend to new angles of seeing things, young and old, the handicapped,  male, female , and some in between, we do indeed have a great community.   

Edited by Bloodscythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wurm isn't a game, it's a way of life.  And it's almost impossible to ever fully leave it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wonka said:

Wurm isn't a game, it's a way of life.  And it's almost impossible to ever fully leave it.

when you mention it that way, I wondered if wurm=life in swedish lingo slang perhaps.  Sometimes it's played enough where it feels we live inside it.  That could be scary or wonderful depending your viewpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't no u and wasn't talking about you so there u go my words exactly

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, christopher said:

I don't no u and wasn't talking about you so there u go my words exactly

 

ah, I guess it was confusing when you started your post with you, and if a name isn't referenced it in general understood you are referring to the original post.  Thanks for clarifying, see you at the next rift.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In keeping with the notion of is it just a game in a larger question, as well as the use of that word to trivialize something real, I witnessed an interesting conversation earlier.  What is fun to one may not be fun to another. 

 

Sometimes that source of fun, is at the and about the anguish of another.  Now in pvp this would be a normal behavior as part of the sport and feeding frenzy of blood lust.   A point was made that it's ok on pvp servers but not on pve.  While in principle that sounds about right in intention.  yet have we not seen countless times where the same behaviors of one server are carried over onto another.    Have we seen group mentality of their version of fun that hurts another, and the awareness of that is part of the source of the first group's fun.  Yet when tables are turned, that same group does not find the humor, why is that?  Amnesia?  or is it in the cyberwebs nothing matters...that is of course until it happens to you.  It's an interesting scapegoat conveniently deployed only when suiting the version of outcome someone doing unto another wants minimized so they don't have to feel the burden of action or own it and possibly the consequences too.  But yet somehow feel that same great injustice when done unto themselves and want accountability. 

 

I surmise it is here we get closer to the reason.   We've shifted in culture perhaps, globally, to where we own less of our behavior, deflect more of it onto others, scapegoat the reasons, deny until you can deny no more, then lawyer up.  Don't we see this has become the norm now where it's nobody's fault..cause you can't tag down who is willing to say yes, that happened because of me.   It is here I think why people trivialize situations they can't or don't want to handle down into "It's Just a game"  for we also see in this very "just a game", countless examples of where the human condition is alive and well in glorious ways well beyond the game mechanics.    Given some of the places roamed, conversations had, and players I have shared time alongside has had me really reflect more on this recently because  I am also hearing that statement more and more and trying to discern what does that mean?

Edited by Bloodscythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I put the word wurm (modern spelling vurm) in a translator it comes up as "craze"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Cecci said:

When I put the word wurm (modern spelling vurm) in a translator it comes up as "craze"

That is comical and fitting given the conversation of thought.  My comment about wurm=life in swedish was only in jest of poetic humor. That is even more rich that beyond jest in real translation for you it's "craze"  for wurm most certainly is that and drawz in all that very crowd.  For who among us is not?

Edited by Bloodscythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bloodscythe said:

ah, I guess it was confusing when you started your post with you, and if a name isn't referenced it in general understood you are referring to the original post.  Thanks for clarifying, see you at the next rift.

 

 

 

I interpreted same way, thought it was directed to you at first read, had to re-read to notice he was talking in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aha, well keep on jesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Loink said:

I interpreted same way, thought it was directed to you at first read, had to re-read to notice he was talking in general.

well see i just learned something new as well, not until you mentioned it did i see the angle of a "global or plural You"  that reads very differently.  oh fek it's prolly time i sell off n quit now before it gets worse, can it? i mean loink is schooling me....the day when...mfw..halp.  sniper rifle me now please.  Nah you're a good egg there ole loinky-d-sploink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very well worded and thought provoking post you have made here Bloodscythe and yet of course the response is so obvious. Yes, Wurm is more than just a game because there are people behind those avatars controlling them. To attempt to justify any actions right, wrong, good or bad without taking this into consideration is just not dealing with reality. Yet the distance between physical interactions offer a shield to otherwise negative behavior. Ultimately in Wurm and online our true personality is revealed, more so even if it is a negative one since there can be little recourse when taking certain actions that would otherwise result in a punch in the face or isolation from one's neighbors.

 

For those with good intentions towards others the game can be a liberating and enjoyable experience since they may be able to extend good relations, feelings and opportunities that otherwise out in that other world they might not be able to offer. Also when meeting rejection here while good intended, it is easier to retreat from that individual and gradually or even abruptly end contact. So in this respect it is a safer environment than "out there". Even for the cautious individual delightful people in game can be observed in various ways from a safe distance and appreciated. Then whether to approach them or keep a safe distance, the decision can be made.

 

For the troublesome ones in game I have always found the best way to deal with them is to pay them little heed, clean up the messes they make and eventually they will move on to seek their negative attentions elsewhere. If one is good at playing the waiting game of weeks, months and years there is triumph in seeing them fade into the recovering woods of time, planted with the forethought that as they sway in the gentle Wurm breezes they sweep away the remains of their disturbance.

 

True as well you say that we both create and leave parts of ourselves within this game. The longer time spent within it doing such the more imbued with the memories of this passing time it becomes. This is the value of the sort of unsure permanence that it provides. Even for the player who prefers more isolation, the passing of others is evidenced by the smallest of transformations that they have on the lands. Just a felled tree in the forest lets you know that someone has recently been there and somehow you have missed knowing their intentions. Maybe it is best that only the tree has suffered from their axe rather than yourself for their presence.

 

We are at heart who we are. No preaching will ever change anyone as the core of our being has long ago been formed. All we can do is to choose to temper our faults or let them run riot and blame the outcome upon others actions. I say the game reveals our true selves. Then we choose which ways to express that to others by either guise or truth, with all the accompanying shades that entail these ends. Still, the opportunity for personal growth in a positive manner can be a result, or struggle to overcome.

 

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ayes said:

A very well worded and thought provoking post you have made here Bloodscythe and yet of course the response is so obvious. Yes, Wurm is more than just a game because there are people behind those avatars controlling them. To attempt to justify any actions right, wrong, good or bad without taking this into consideration is just not dealing with reality. Yet the distance between physical interactions offer a shield to otherwise negative behavior. Ultimately in Wurm and online our true personality is revealed, more so even if it is a negative one since there can be little recourse when taking certain actions that would otherwise result in a punch in the face or isolation from one's neighbors.

 

For those with good intentions towards others the game can be a liberating and enjoyable experience since they may be able to extend good relations, feelings and opportunities that otherwise out in that other world they might not be able to offer. Also when meeting rejection here while good intended, it is easier to retreat from that individual and gradually or even abruptly end contact. So in this respect it is a safer environment than "out there". Even for the cautious individual delightful people in game can be observed in various ways from a safe distance and appreciated. Then whether to approach them or keep a safe distance, the decision can be made.

 

For the troublesome ones in game I have always found the best way to deal with them is to pay them little heed, clean up the messes they make and eventually they will move on to seek their negative attentions elsewhere. If one is good at playing the waiting game of weeks, months and years there is triumph in seeing them fade into the recovering woods of time, planted with the forethought that as they sway in the gentle Wurm breezes they sweep away the remains of their disturbance.

 

True as well you say that we both create and leave parts of ourselves within this game. The longer time spent within it doing such the more imbued with the memories of this passing time it becomes. This is the value of the sort of unsure permanence that it provides. Even for the player who prefers more isolation, the passing of others is evidenced by the smallest of transformations that they have on the lands. Just a felled tree in the forest lets you know that someone has recently been there and somehow you have missed knowing their intentions. Maybe it is best that only the tree has suffered from their axe rather than yourself for their presence.

 

We are at heart who we are. No preaching will ever change anyone as the core of our being has long ago been formed. All we can do is to choose to temper our faults or let them run riot and blame the outcome upon others actions. I say the game reveals our true selves. Then we choose which ways to express that to others by either guise or truth, with all the accompanying shades that entail these ends. Still, the opportunity for personal growth in a positive manner can be a result, or struggle to overcome.

 

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

This here post alone deserves some spot of permanence in wurm for new, existing, and returning player alike.  You are always known for your thoughtful missives yet this is one of your most eloquent!!  You have articulated a shared sentiment far more delicate and beautiful than I could with great finesse in a masterfully choreographed dance of words. This was timely as I was feeling some heavy about the game interactions and elevated my spirit and affirmation along with hope that yes much more does happen inside this network of code, key strikes and mouse clicks. 

 

The same way I believe it to be more than "just a game", the notion of "en vino veritas" rings true.  Translated in wine is truth is the supposition that what we reveal in a state of alter via wine is who we authentically are, that our true nature emerges.  A phrase I like equally is, people are like Tea Bags in that only in hot water is their true essence revealed.  Although we can altar how we project in a cyber environment as it does shield a good deal, how we choose to play the game over time also with certainty reveals our own character and make up as well.

 

Thank you for taking the time to post such a meaningful and pensive response, the gift of that spreads far beyond me, and the post, but to all those that dare a glance at it and let the warm energy of it flow within them carrying forward that seed of thought and being.  Namaste'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I consider my core group, friends, to the extent I would hang out with them in real life; and have with two of them. But that is what happens when you play games with them for 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely more than just a game.

 

When something starts as an online game that you try out for a day or two, results in 14+ years of logging in not only to play but to interact with others, chat to people, meet up in real life with them too.. you're officially one of the Wurm family. Someone once said something to me and its always stuck.  "Wurm is a glorified chat room, with things to do while you're chatting" I first defended the game and told them they were very wrong, years on I see where they were coming from.

 

The community of Wurm is the most inspiring , frustrating, demanding, friendliest, funniest and many more words that I could put down. Never in any game have I seen the support we all give to each other, how proud we are when friends and new friends waiting to happen reach goals and happiness in things they have created. Someone mentions they are struggling making, or building something and before you know it, there's some one helping you out with advice or even turning up to your location, rolling their sleeves up and getting to work helping you out. Of course there will be those that want to keep the game as that.. just a game, albeit hard to do as there are so many lovely people out there you cant help but cross paths in some way. 

 

For me..Wurm has been one of the best things to happen in my life. I can busy myself with the game side of things.. making those darn planks, imping that drake up.. but the moment you see one of your friends on your friend list pop online, that's where you get to experience the full side of Wurm. Some people can be lonely in their real life and just to have someone open a chat tab with you (even if its just to say Hi) makes you feel not so alone. The ones that share in your life events, you tell them about things that are happening, how your day has been makes all the difference. Being someone who lends an ear when someone needs to just vent sometimes can be so rewarding. 

 

I've made so many friends over the years from inside this little game we call Wurm, From Drago, Metaldragon, Pingpong, Cerber, Schiann, Dreammaster, Silvir + Uisge , those friends that I sadly miss too, Tich, Duce, Oracle.. to those that are still there having to put up with me today ;) YOU are what makes this game special to me and I look forward to many more years of asking for help, chattering on to you and sharing my real life days with you.

 

Thank you Blood for making this post showing the positive sides to this special game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Willow said:

Definitely more than just a game.

 

When something starts as an online game that you try out for a day or two, results in 14+ years of logging in not only to play but to interact with others, chat to people, meet up in real life with them too.. you're officially one of the Wurm family. Someone once said something to me and its always stuck.  "Wurm is a glorified chat room, with things to do while you're chatting" I first defended the game and told them they were very wrong, years on I see where they were coming from.

 

The community of Wurm is the most inspiring , frustrating, demanding, friendliest, funniest and many more words that I could put down. Never in any game have I seen the support we all give to each other, how proud we are when friends and new friends waiting to happen reach goals and happiness in things they have created. Someone mentions they are struggling making, or building something and before you know it, there's some one helping you out with advice or even turning up to your location, rolling their sleeves up and getting to work helping you out. Of course there will be those that want to keep the game as that.. just a game, albeit hard to do as there are so many lovely people out there you cant help but cross paths in some way. 

 

For me..Wurm has been one of the best things to happen in my life. I can busy myself with the game side of things.. making those darn planks, imping that drake up.. but the moment you see one of your friends on your friend list pop online, that's where you get to experience the full side of Wurm. Some people can be lonely in their real life and just to have someone open a chat tab with you (even if its just to say Hi) makes you feel not so alone. The ones that share in your life events, you tell them about things that are happening, how your day has been makes all the difference. Being someone who lends an ear when someone needs to just vent sometimes can be so rewarding. 

 

I've made so many friends over the years from inside this little game we call Wurm, From Drago, Metaldragon, Pingpong, Cerber, Schiann, Dreammaster, Silvir + Uisge , those friends that I sadly miss too, Tich, Duce, Oracle.. to those that are still there having to put up with me today ;) YOU are what makes this game special to me and I look forward to many more years of asking for help, chattering on to you and sharing my real life days with you.

 

Thank you Blood for making this post showing the positive sides to this special game

 

What @Willowsaid :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me Wurm is like a big extended family. We meet folks and form lasting bonds. Sure granted we are not related by blood but that alone does not make you Family. To me Family is those you choose to have around you and they choose to be around you.

 

Do we not help each other without asking anything in return? Do we not find joy when one of our fellow Wurmians reaches a goal or completes not only a monumental task but small ones too. Do we not share in a new players development during their time here in Wurm?  Do we not mourn the loss of fellow Wurmians and rejoice when one returns from long Hiatus? This is the very things that to me make us a large extended Family.

 

We take the time to help mentor new players to the game. Even when no CA is on in ca chat every question gets answered without thinking about to some degree we take on the roll of mentor or elder sibling so to speak so those just starting can get the most out of the game that we all love.

 

And to Blood I say again thanks, not sure if you remember but you sent me some armor sets a few years ago that all went to new players and a few of those are still around. Not because they received nice armor but because they were shown kindness welcomed to the game and community. They realized no matter where they were in the game world they were never alone. They realized that help or answers was just a short type and or pm away. If they could not quite figure something out someone was always near to shine a bit of light on their problem. Is that not what families do IRL.

 

This is a pixeled world yes but it is no less real than the one we log in from. Our relationships are just as real, our joy and sadness is still felt the same way. Sure we have disagreements and squabbles but we actually seem to work through them better here in my opinion. When IRL has us a wreck we can rely on the bonds we have forged here for some measure of support. Be it comforting words or just silly arse antics they make us smile even when we would rather not.

 

So I ask how can this be just a game when it is stronger than many IRL families. Exactly, it is much more than a game. Well I have added my 2 cents for what it is worth.

 

Happy Wurming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, Nacciwa said:

To me Wurm is like a big extended family. We meet folks and form lasting bonds. Sure granted we are not related by blood but that alone does not make you Family. To me Family is those you choose to have around you and they choose to be around you.

 

Do we not help each other without asking anything in return? Do we not find joy when one of our fellow Wurmians reaches a goal or completes not only a monumental task but small ones too. Do we not share in a new players development during their time here in Wurm?  Do we not mourn the loss of fellow Wurmians and rejoice when one returns from long Hiatus? This is the very things that to me make us a large extended Family.

 

We take the time to help mentor new players to the game. Even when no CA is on in ca chat every question gets answered without thinking about to some degree we take on the roll of mentor or elder sibling so to speak so those just starting can get the most out of the game that we all love.

 

And to Blood I say again thanks, not sure if you remember but you sent me some armor sets a few years ago that all went to new players and a few of those are still around. Not because they received nice armor but because they were shown kindness welcomed to the game and community. They realized no matter where they were in the game world they were never alone. They realized that help or answers was just a short type and or pm away. If they could not quite figure something out someone was always near to shine a bit of light on their problem. Is that not what families do IRL.

 

This is a pixeled world yes but it is no less real than the one we log in from. Our relationships are just as real, our joy and sadness is still felt the same way. Sure we have disagreements and squabbles but we actually seem to work through them better here in my opinion. When IRL has us a wreck we can rely on the bonds we have forged here for some measure of support. Be it comforting words or just silly arse antics they make us smile even when we would rather not.

 

So I ask how can this be just a game when it is stronger than many IRL families. Exactly, it is much more than a game. Well I have added my 2 cents for what it is worth.

 

Happy Wurming

This does my soul good to hear.  one never knows what impact if any they have on another yet hearing feedback like this is reassuring that these random acts of kindness are indeed good and lend to something meaningful even if  not spoken.  What I am amazed at is some of the wonderful sentiment shared in here in people's own style , words, and shapes of their heart.  I wasn't sure where this post would go or if it'd just sink into an abyss of tl/dr.  Where I at times feel out of sync for how i write or think, this lets me know i'm not fully off track.  I'm really happy those armor sets went to good use and it may have impacted someone's choice to stay and play.  I know for me it did.  years back I was given an armor set, to which I still have.  I'm quite sentimental that way and even keep the humorous threat items people send me in the mail as comic relief.  These things mean far more to me than anything else in game.

Edited by Bloodscythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After watching two live streams of the Independence Anniversary trivia quest, I once again am affirmed in how much the intangible means to many.  I heard many reminisce memories of people and places come and gone, and  how much over the years is still preserved.  Each lil bend in the road or ascent would have a story of who they met, what they bought, how they were attacked and died to mobs.  I also heard where these in game events transcended the game marking people's personal lives and growth points along they way.  How many games can you say do this?  For as much as I hear I type too much, or what are you even talking about leaving me to wonder as well have i really gone off the reservation, I read this feed back and hear the nature of discussions on those live streams of what that server meant to people and the landmarks and the real life friendships they made not possible otherwise but for through wurm I am reminded I'm not so far off.  Worry not what words you use or if they are good enough, for they are your journey and part of your story, share with confidence and the warm spirit by which many of these that captured you and shaped you, or how it made things possible to experience otherwise not.  Worry not how you will write it, but take the time to add to this thread for not only will it enrich you, it will enrich others that may not have the courage or feel they have the words to describe, or chance being on full view of your emotions.  When we witness the eloquence and shape of heart people have shown in this thread, we all win and we all advance, all boats rise.

 

I believe steadfastly in the goodness of the game to give something more than digital pixels to players for x amt of hours.  Like anything, you get what you put into it.  If you attempt to not engage or know someone, it'll feel alone and devoid of good feeling, yet if you are like many that dare to reach out and talk to another, jump into voice chat for a first time if shy, you have watched your game and life experience unfold in a richer way changed unforeseen for the better.

 

At first this was an open experiment of my own thoughts and feelings about the concept of a game, wurm, and the people behind the characters within.  What has happened beyond an expectation, is the great gifts of thoughts and feelings people have shared with us thus far showing how much more than "just a game" wurm is to them and what gaming is capable of beyond the code formulas and into our own genetic codes.

 

I invite more to share their wurm impact on others, how others impacted you, and what part the game plays as a role in this.  Realize each time you dare to share, you very likely bring to life someone else's inner fire of thoughts as well, for we aren't so different yet will find more alike than thought at first glance.

Edited by Bloodscythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wurm is just a game. I have seen far too many people tie their self worth and lifestyle to it, wasting away because "wurm is real life." What is undeniable is the connections you make are very real, but far too frequently people are having a hard time divorcing the two concepts. Eating in Wurm does not satiate you, the person, nor does any other activity in the game. This kind of obsessive attachment to any game is not healthy, both physically and mentally. They are just pixels. Those pixels can be important in the structure of the game, but it is important to step back and remove yourself from time to time. Perspective is everything, and staying to close to something breeds insanity. Not the fun, goofy brand of insanity Wurmians like to joke about, but dangerous mental health issues. 

 

When all is said and done, the servers shut down, and the moons of Wurm rotate their last, it won't be the roads, or bridges, tools, or houses that remain, it will be the people you have talked to and touched. Keep it in perspective, don't grow too attached to the pixels, in the same way you should not become too attached to your car. This way lies the road to madness.

Edited by GorgonKain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, GorgonKain said:

Wurm is just a game. I have seen far too many people tie their self worth and lifestyle to it, wasting away because "wurm is real life." What is undeniable is the connections you make are very real, but far too frequently people are having a hard time divorcing the two concepts. Eating in Wurm does not satiate you, the person, nor does any other activity in the game. This kind of obsessive attachment to any game is not healthy, both physically and mentally. They are just pixels. Those pixels can be important in the structure of the game, but it is important to step back and remove yourself from time to time. Perspective is everything, and staying to close to something breeds insanity. Not the fun, goofy brand of insanity Wurmians like to joke about, but dangerous mental health issues. 

 

When all is said and done, the servers shut down, and the moons of Wurm rotate their last, it won't be the roads, or bridges, tools, or houses that remain, it will be the people you have talked to and touched. Keep it in perspective, don't grow too attached to the pixels, in the same way you should not become too attached to your car. This way lies the road to madness.

All this is equally true and not mutually exclusive.  It is all a matter of balance and relativity.  To much water consumed can be harmful to the body despite the overwhelming composition of the body being water and the constant need for it to sustain healthy function.  I have very much seen where clearly someone has put their identity and worth as a person into the pixels that digitally form a manufactured character. 

 

At end of day it is merely an entertainment vice much as a tv show, a book, a night out with friends at a bar, a memorable vacation.  To that extent yes all things in moderation.  I don't believe what is being discussed is a surplanting or replacing of rl with the game as a life style, yet merely that this medium can be more transformative than just the accumulation of code that causes a formation of pixels to "climb" a fictitious slope that doesn't exist but in binary script.  I like what you have said here and it takes not away from the other things posted nor an alternative view, but merely a cautionary of not taking it beyond what it is and substituting life with it.

Edited by Bloodscythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this