Sign in to follow this  
Silvanoshaya

Leveling/Flattening Borders with Dredge

Would love to see Level and Flatten available on the options menu for dredges (as they are for shovels). 

i.e. I put a wand of the seas down and did not know anything about it (thus ended up with Knarr in the middle of new island). I put it down way to far out in the water and can't expand due to slope limitations. With some good effort you can work around it some but then becomes next to impossible with no option to level borders as shovel does not work under water. 

According to wurmpedia you can do this already

A dredge can also be used to flatten or level terrain. You must not be embarked on a ship to have this option.

Is this wrong ?

1 hour ago, Explora said:

According to wurmpedia you can do this already

Is this wrong ?

No the pedia is not exactly wrong but it only pertains to a tile and not the border (so maybe incomplete). You can flatten and level a tile with a dredge but you cannot flatten or level borders with dredges as there is no option as there is with shoveling. Sometimes you only need to level a border and not the whole tile. Since it seems to share almost all features of a shovel, was hoping it can share all features and help me out of my mess :) 

***Most times I am unable to level a tile as the slopes of 280 are higher than my skill. If I were able to level the slope/border as you can with a shovel out of water, it would help. 

Edited by Silvanoshaya
Add more of the "why"
  • Like 1

I don't see the problem here, you are limited by skill in this case.

Also with shovel you have this limit.

If slope is just a bit  bigger than your skill, start with dropping dirt on bottom.

I am pretty sure I have levelled borders also, and I worked on a total depth of over 1250 slopes, swimming.

You need to stop at one slope under skill to continue flat raising next (whole) tile.

To be able to raise higher than skill you need to think of it as a pyramiide, I think I had like 8 tiers (of 270ish slope) to reach surface.

thanks for enlightening those that don't know how to flat-raise.

2 hours ago, Cecci said:

I am pretty sure I have levelled borders also

not with a dredge you haven't.
that is what this suggestion thread is for, the ability to level tile borders with a dredge
We can do it with a shovel above the water table but can't do it with a dredge beneath it.

fyi, just yesterday -  i was unable to dredge a seabed that was almost 500 slopes deep, so i dropped dirt very inefficiently, i eventually found that i was able to dredge once it was 276 dirt below water. This is my skill x3. I did ask in CAhelp before working on the solution, the x3 skill rule was validated by the channel.
to dredge at a depth of 1250 slopes your skill would have to be 416
Should you try to dredge at a depth deeper than 3 times your skill the following error message displays: You do not have sufficient skill to dredge at that depth

eitherway.. that is purely academic because this thread is asking for the ability to manipulate tile borders with a dredge instead of the whole tile.
That, is the problem here.

Edited by Steveleeb

You have to be exactly above the right tile and swimming.

And yes I understood it was about the tile borders actually.

I have terraformed at the depth I stated, you can see it in I10 area on Xanadu.

maybe dredging beyond 3x your skill was possible once upon a time but it wasn't possible yesterday and it isn't possible today.

2 hours ago, Cecci said:

And yes I understood it was about the tile borders actually.

you then replied
`I don't see the problem here, you are limited by skill in this case.

Also with shovel you have this limit.`

i, have no problems leveling tile borders with a shovel it is IMpossible to do that with a dredge. (a ql90 supreme dredge with digging at 92)
whatever limit is applied to shovels and tile borders is entirely irrelevant to this thread because the functionality doesn't even exist on dredges at-any-skill-level.
which is why the suggestion thread exists.
If you understood that it's about tile borders then why contradict it with this - ` I am pretty sure I have levelled borders also, `
adding to that,  a statement about dredging way way beyond your skill level, something that is simply not possible now.. merely serves to dissolve this thread.

Sorry Cecci you are wrong, you cannot dredge at depths that exceed your skill and you can most certainly and FAR more relevantly not, level tile borders with a dredge.
please, go, experiment. if you don't trust me or the staff in CAhelp, find out for yourself.
I've shown you the error message, i've told you what the CA's told me and ive told you what i discovered from both within a craft and swimming.

Suggesting that there's no problem damages the relevance of this thread, the facts you are presenting are incorrect at this time.
I can't address this any clearer. please don't derail this thread with bollocks.
I'm walking away from the forum for a week you've done my head in, i've presented you with very modern information and it isn't just coming from me.
but no. not good enough.
*tips his hat, lets it fall into a puddle and walks away*

Edited by Steveleeb

within the development of a critical discourse and perspective a question was raised.. at what depth can we pave?
one might assume 3x paving.
this was never localized tho once flat raising had begun, a depth was met.
it might be fixed, it might be 3x.

however  gleaned  fact
Dredging is limited to 3x slopes and as so limited depth. (unless creative solutions at play)
I humbly suggest that tile border manipulation through the relative dimension geometry that exists with shovels, is applied to dredges.
consistency,  mean and flow.
continuity is velvet. if a shovel can do it above, a dredge should be able to do it below.

Edited by Steveleeb

Revive and bump.

Dredges are incredibly painful.

Please make them less painful.

Make them like shovels.

Shovels aren't painful.