Gladiator

How to kill your own game tutorial

Honestly everyone is wrong about the approach to unique hunting so far within this thread. Simply put make it as public and eventful as possible. Remove all drama, what's it good for? Absolutely nothing really. Make it fair.

Sever wide scale/hide/tome drop per kill to 70+ online active premium accounts, make them a lot easier to kill, one person can actively kill a dragon probably and help the server win a prize basically. Remove penning obviously.

Otherwise no one is going to be happy and the general bitching of complaints will never cease. They can nerf it as much as possible right now but it's not changing anything to a skilled hunter, coming from someone who pens quite a bit of unique's lately has 2 eyes and barley swings a pendulum.

I'm actually on the side of making it fair even, imagine that. Wow.

"Click on the floater" may be a better approach than "click somewheeeeere... around there" that said.... 

Aw heck, let's trigger a few wurmians.

WORKED FOR WORLD OF WARCRAFT! 

1 hour ago, Niki said:

...make it as public and eventful as possible...

1 hour ago, Niki said:

...Sever wide scale/hide/tome drop...

Overly mollycoddling imo. Please do not turn WO into a nanny state.

Let those who hunt and slay such creatures earn the loots of the battle. Do the work, earn the rewards.

I speak as a mediocre peasant who rarely gets mad invites to such slays. Even so, it is plain ridiculous to imagine getting splattered with blood and bits of scale, hide and other exotic bits while out in my farm tending to my cotton plants, or having one of those much coveted tomes fall right into my hands while milking my cows, just because some folks hunted down and slayed one of them creatures. Or to get the call out to one such slaying while out doing my peasanty stuff, not because the hunters were overflowing with generosity and decided to make it public but because it has been mendated as such.

8 hours ago, MrGARY said:

At the very least there needs to be a better system than "just aim at the water above the fish", it really isn't that easy to get the right spot the first time and it's not like thats even user failure needing to learn the system better, it's just a very poor interface.  Make the fish interactable, give them examines too so it's a more fleshed out system even if it's just reusing the fish item examines, and when we start the spear fishing let us click the fish itself and then success is based on skill/whatever like everything else in the game

For rod fishing at least the possibility remains to click the boat instead of the tile which I learnt very recently by a hint from a friendly player in CA channel. In deep water, it is virtually impossible to hit the right spot, just aiming at the float does not help. Improvements on the interface would be a great help indeed.

I suspect fishing may have been a bit less than originally intended, as Tich may have been having to rush stuff a bit at the end.  It's a real pity, because fishing feels a bit unfinished when compared to cooking - I'm pretty sure what we ended up with wasn't the full system originally envisaged.  No singing wall trophies, for a start!

On 6/19/2019 at 9:31 PM, Angelklaine said:

The system failed because its not finished. They created the whole convoluted and rather pointless fishing system but forgot to include a reward for going through with it. Currently fishing feels like toymaking. Its completely pointless. I can spend 2 hours and get maybe a crate of fish... maybe... or I can go hunting for two hours and come back with a wagonful of assorted meats I can do a lot of things with, plus all the hides, eyes and animal parts that come with it.

Fishing didn't need a system overhaul. Fishing needed a usefulness overhaul. Other than roaches for pizzas, there is zero point to go fishing, as evidenced by the FSBs full of fish that Wargasm has. You can't use them for leveling butchering since they give barely no skill when you try, so you are stuck on using them for leveling taming... and who the heck uses taming on Freedom?

So they overcomplicated a system to hell and back and didn't increase the rewards to match the activity. Why would anyone do it?

If done optimally, fishing really is a solid way to get large amounts of mats to grind HFC, animal taming, body control and (to a very limited extent) butchering. Last time I tested it, I was regularly catching 1,000kg+ of fish in an hour*. That's 3,000+ or so fillets worth. Hunting is very unlikely to provide this much this fast. Moreover, once you've hunted all the game in an area, your meat-to-time ratio drops drastically. When fishing you can consistently catch limitless amounts without having to travel (this is especially relevant in low-mob areas like southern Xan). Plus, it demands very little attention, despite what some have said. It's very much 'lather, rinse, repeat' and, unlike hunting, can easily be done on a second or third client while doing fussier work on another. Another thing: it's zero risk – you can't be killed by a fish; this may be important to newer, or less combat-oriented players. And now that the devs have tweaked the system, gear loss/damage is almost negligible if you're wise about your set-up. The last point is about sensibilities – sometimes you'd rather not be spraying blood left and right listening to the agonized groans of dying animals just to get some meat. So in short, I'm not seeing the supposed imbalance here.

Specific example: I've been grinding body control on a priest (aiming for 31 to ride hellies) and filleting fish has been an excellent, low-attention way of doing this. Today, I gained about 0.30 body control, just shy of my target, in about 3 hours of filleting. Also, I recently managed to sell a huge amount of my overstock fish fillets – the excess to my pan-filling and animal taming needs. So leaving aside my basic enjoyment of it, fishing has been quite good to me in gameplay terms. I've got plenty of reasons to keep at it.

*This may have been nerfed slightly in recent weeks/months.

42 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

If done optimally, fishing really is a solid way to get large amounts of mats to grind HFC, animal taming, body control and (to a very limited extent) butchering. Last time I tested it, I was regularly catching 1,000kg+ of fish in an hour*. That's 3,000+ or so fillets worth.

So please tell me: Didn't you have fishing skill of 90+ by the old fishing system already? Or did you ever try to do the same with the new system? Or at least get to skill 50 which seems to be a prerequisite to catch the large fish?

I do not blame the new fishing to be all bad, on contrary. I already mentioned that the small fish are fairly helpful for panfilling, and can be obtained at a reasonable rate in good quantities, better than herbs which can play a comparable role. Further on, it is true that characteristics are going up somewhat during fishing.

But what you are telling about butchering is obviously true on rare tiles only which are mostly if not exclusively found in the ocean. Like many Xanadu dwellers I am living in land, even have to ride/sail about 400 tiles of mine/canal to reach the lake's shore unless I am content with minnows, and then, it is another well 1500 tiles to reach the ocean (two partially fairly twisted tunnels, no afk). So what you are describing is widely worthless for me except for the white shark/marlin for the journal goal. And thus the comparison with hunting is invalid too. It is ways easier to drive/ride to the next desert or steppe to meet interesting game. Well yes, bit harder and slightly more dangerous, granted, yet that is part of the fun.

I do not say that fishing is worthless, on contrary. But grinding it is unpleasant, much is at best half ready (decay of stuff still bad though not as catastrophic as in the beginning), the ways to use the stuff widely unclear and undocumented and partially overly clumsy, grinding success other than by net fishing very unsufficient and prohibitive.

The skill gain on the new system is faster than the old one, although it does require some attention.  Living on the coast, I don't have a long way to go, and I'm definitely not catching 1000kg fish (!!!), but it didn't take very long to get from basically no skill to 40ish.

Funny how the exact people that talk about how toxic behavior towards newer players makes them quit are the exact people that act that way.

5 minutes ago, AJBlack said:

Funny how the exact people that talk about how toxic behavior towards newer players makes them quit are the exact people that act that way.

It would be good to keep personal grudges and conflicts out of the thread (and I am aware that there was a hidden attack on you earlier which I do not condone as well). I much regret that particular conflict and would hope for ways of reconciliation. I fail to believe that either side in this conflict is behaving in an intentionally toxic way usually, and we cannot afford to lose active players over at best marginally sensible feuds.

49 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Didn't you have fishing skill of 90+ by the old fishing system already? Or did you ever try to do the same with the new system? Or at least get to skill 50 which seems to be a prerequisite to catch the large fish?

I hardly fished under the old system at all. All of my post referred to recent experience under the new system, which I only got into because of journal goals. Under the new system, on Freedom, I skilled one character from maybe 5 to 91 and another from 0 to 75. (I also skilled two others on Epic to around 50.) Yes, higher skill seems necessary to catch the largest special fish (70+ works fine for me), but this is exactly how I'd expect it to work.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

But what you are telling about butchering is obviously true on rare tiles only which are mostly if not exclusively found in the ocean. Like many Xanadu dwellers I am living in land, even have to ride/sail about 400 tiles of mine/canal to reach the lake's shore unless I am content with minnows, and then, it is another well 1500 tiles to reach the ocean (two partially fairly twisted tunnels, no afk). So what you are describing is widely worthless for me except for the white shark/marlin for the journal goal. And thus the comparison with hunting is invalid too. It is ways easier to drive/ride to the next desert or steppe to meet interesting game. Well yes, bit harder and slightly more dangerous, granted, yet that is part of the fun.

All of my fishing happens on a large inland lake (Xan) that has special fishing spots everywhere. I never have to sail more than two minutes from my pier to find the exact type of spot (marlin, white shark) to give me maximum catch sizes. Fishing isn't going to be a great option if you live deep inland, but surely no one would expect it to be? My point was simply that fishing can sometimes be the better option depending on a range of factors. And that, in my opinion, is the epitome of balance.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

But grinding it is unpleasant, much is at best half ready (decay of stuff still bad though not as catastrophic as in the beginning), the ways to use the stuff widely unclear and undocumented and partially overly clumsy, grinding success other than by net fishing very unsufficient and prohibitive.

Pleasantness is a very subjective thing; personally, I found the fishing grind far less monotonous than most other skills and therefore more enjoyable. And in terms of time, using CoC nets (to about 20) and rods with various reels (20+), it's taken me no longer to grind fishing than, say, digging. Granted, with rod fishing you will not see the same steady trickle of ticks as with other skills; instead, the gain comes in spurts as you hook fish, especially ones that are in your difficulty sweet spot. But averaged over a period of hours, the overall gain really is comparable to or even faster than with many other skills.

The wiki now has loads of useful info on fishing in generalspecific fish attributes, and floats. These pages provided enough of a knowledge base for my successes.

1 hour ago, Wonka said:

I'm definitely not catching 1000kg fish (!!!)

Don't wait for it to happen — you'll never catch a 1000kg fish 😆 The highest possible weight of a single fish is 200kg (100ql marlin or white shark).

58 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

Don't wait for it to happen — you'll never catch a 1000kg fish 😆 The highest possible weight of a single fish is 200kg (100ql marlin or white shark).

That's it, CAN'T CATCH 1000kg FISH, I QUIT! WORST GAME EVER!!!!1!1  FISHING SUCKS!1!!

much like how boiling liquid would incinerate a man through his plate armor, a hit from a 1000kg fish should cause whats left of the warrior hit to shoot out the top like you stepped on a tube of toothpaste

9 hours ago, Ekcin said:

For rod fishing at least the possibility remains to click the boat instead of the tile which I learnt very recently by a hint from a friendly player in CA channel. In deep water, it is virtually impossible to hit the right spot, just aiming at the float does not help. Improvements on the interface would be a great help indeed

Have key bind for set hook ...

53 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Have key bind for set hook ...

Which keybind is that?

"How to kill your own game tutorial"

Cater to your pvp players in a PvE centered game. Spend a disproportionate amount time on their suggestions (complaints) in proportion to their number of players. Reduce the abilities and options of the greater proportion of your player base to enhance the smaller proportion of your player base. Give this smaller proportion for your player base exclusive options not available to the larger proportion of the player base. Then condemn the larger proportion of your player base when they point out these discrepancies. Then deny that this is actually what is happening.

=Ayes=

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Which keybind is that?

The devs should add it to the game ..

Ayes is right. Genocide the pvpers.  Pve master race

2 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Ayes is right. Genocide the pvpers.  Pve master race

That part is a bit....

But I agree just with the part where pve had so many limitations coming from.. 'we cant have that, because of chaos'; when things could probably be separated and have everybody happy with the features they like to have.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Finnn said:

That part is a bit....

But I agree just with the part where pve had so many limitations coming from.. 'we cant have that, because of chaos'; when things could probably be separated and have everybody happy with the features they like to have.

Trust me, pvp wants a code split too.  Pve gets stuff that we don't want shoved on us either, and often changes that would be good for pvp arent done because of the effects it would have on pve.

Also curious, which things can you still not have?  

Edited by Alexgopen

21 hours ago, Niki said:

Sever wide scale/hide/tome drop per kill to 70+ online active premium accounts, make them a lot easier to kill, one person can actively kill a dragon probably and help the server win a prize basically. Remove penning obviously.

that i always says since....

7 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

Trust me, pvp wants a code split too.  Pve gets stuff that we don't want shoved on us either, and often changes that would be good for pvp arent done because of the effects it would have on pve.

Also curious, which things can you still not have?  

Un-nerfed taming for one.

14 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Un-nerfed taming for one.

Nobody in pvp actually uses tamed battle pets bc they're crap.  I don't really want nerfed taming either.  Pls don't pin that on us

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Nobody in pvp actually uses tamed battle pets bc they're crap.  I don't really want nerfed taming either.  Pls don't pin that on us

I assume tamed crocodiles are meant. They indeed have been nerfed due to PvP as I was told. Which of course is a pity as they would allow interesting amphibious warfare but would be hard if not impossible to balance.

But, please folks. Such PvP vs. PvE rants do not lead anywhere except towards ripping apart the community and destroying the game. PvP is a valid and relevant element of a sandbox game, whether some like it or not. PvP vs. PvE or vice versa crusades are certainly a method to kill the game.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum