Gladiator

How to kill your own game tutorial

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jimmy_Norman said:

@Retrograde What would happen to this game if you were to leave? Surely it would die?

It's been dying since Sindusk left and Tich passed away. 

The only two people who were doing something that was unrelated to client/graphics. 

Edited by atazs

38 minutes ago, atazs said:

The only two people who were doing something that was unrelated to client/graphics. 

Well... Sindusk and Tich are definitely missing. Keenan is more an administrator nowadays than a developer. But there are still server side devs. 

Posted (edited)

this is bold, i apologize for myself. the sun is overcoming my meds.

the number of times over the last 6 years that i've heard people say the game is dying.
you're dying, he's dying, I'm dying, we're all dying!
anyone that thinks the game won't last another 3 years should abandon ship and be done with it.
I'm of the feeling that it'll last over 10.
everything changes but through adaptation it can stay afloat.

To my knowledge no java game looks at good as wurm without ENB shaders and custom texture packs.
it's a marvel. *required for full affect: compatibility>VBO set to core

ah yes, the good old days.
I miss everquest before daybreak got their hands on it. now it's just an over-engineered money pit.
as long as wurm's sub never goes up it has my full support.. when i can afford it.

Total respect for the greatness that once was but every human has genius flowing within them, most often untapped.
I don't know how to assess the staff we have (other than retro), however I do know and would put money on..  it's not the end of the rainbow.

Edited by Steveleeb

2 hours ago, atazs said:

Pretty sure client and graphics are only Samool and Saroman these days.  Keenan seems to be chief server herder.  All the other devs (Budda and his elves) are working on functionality, i.e. game content.  Y'know, what Tich and Sindusk did, only not focussed on pvp (so basically like Tich, then).

Oh wait, that's right, the current meme is that none of the devs do anything at all, so nobody is working on anything.  Sorry, carry on.

I like that retro is in here sparring with the mob

And hasnt closed the thread as usual (not him personally closing it, just in general)

I can respect that

Retro has the advantage of choosing what he replies to.

2 hours ago, Olloch said:

Retro has the advantage of choosing what he replies to.

But can he explain why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

[05:00:24] 1 other players are online. You are on Chaos (158 totally in Wurm).

just a normal morning for me

31 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

Wow

17 hours ago, Retrograde said:

WTF you kidding me?
introduced the new fishing with CRAP skills gains (yeah i got 80+fishing the day before of the ###### system changed and skills gans sucked) i only remained the 175kf fish for the goal (and lockpicking but that was easy), nor here or epic worked.

lack of communication as always, nobody "officialy" says what sugges could be consedirered or not, with out that is the same as not read.

leveling? seriously? just make easier alt abuse to find uniques. send  a few alts meanwhile you traveling with your main to get it.

15 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

how does that level the playing field lol, instead of a newbie vyn priest/reveal runes and a hellie cart/geared normal horse cart (which i imagine half the playerbase at least has/can get very easy) now to be competitive in unique hunting you need

high ql woa litw seryll pendulum

50+ soul depth so it doesnt fail all the time

90/90 or above horseshoes, rare+ is huge boost too 

31 bc to ride hellhorses

bot that alerts you the second they spawn because they're found within two hours nearly every single time now

if making pendulums hit uniques was supposed to level the field it might just be the worst attempt i've ever seen because it just furthers the gap between someone with average gear and someone maxed out. atleast reveal creatures forced you to sit down for 40 seconds so horse speed wasn't that big a deal.

This guy has them penned within an hour most times and retro thinks they leveled the playing field. Ahahahaha my sides.

Posted (edited)

What this game is missing is endgame. My bud and I have basically grinded nearly everything already (well mostly him lul), we have a nice deed, and have recently finished our massive community project. So... what do we do now?

We can't hunt uniques because they are all aleady dead or are/will be penned by the time we get to the server if we start sailing instantly the moment they spawn. We can't do rifts because one is not happening during my playtime. We can't participate on most GM run events because these happen only during times we don't play... so what do we get to do?

Well, we could uh... grind another skill on an alt I guess, built a 4th deed, or harvest our field once more so we can raise our corn and garlic storage to levels we will never use or be able to sell. We could make tools and weapons no one would by. We could make armor no pmk will ever use... 

There is no endgame. Endgame in Wurm is an event only 5 to 10 guys out of 200 can participate at all every few days if they line up their playtimes perfectly. So people grow and grow and grow and realize its for nothing. Once you get your account all ground up, there is nothing to do with it. There used to be pvp for it but...

1 hour ago, platinumteef said:

And now the total amount of people online at a single time has dipped well over 200. Soon we will be in double digits.

I am seriously excited for Frontier and I am hoping it is the endgame thing that will allow us to get reinvigorated into the game. I hope all these Valrei mob testing and the recent announcements lead to something. We need an infusion of content bad, because people have nothing to do and no reason to stick around. I keep contemplating what am I doing here, since there is no point to anything we do. Playing a peasant life simulator is not what I came for.

Please blow our minds with Frontier. You wont get another chance.

Edited by Angelklaine

2 hours ago, platinumteef said:

Dang.... That's WU server figures XD 

Posted (edited)

im gonna throw it out there, those numbers weren't post server reset or anything

those were legitimate numbers during the time i logged in lol

Edited by platinumteef

Posted (edited)

Maybe they're all on Elevation now moving their stuff to the home servers :)

Edit: To respond in a more sensible way to Angelklaine's post about the missing endgame: You may have a point there. As to Wurm in general, I think much is due to summer season. There are at most 150-180 paying players less than in the year before at the same time, yet there were also same, even a few more in some months in a yoy comparison since I started playing (Dec 17), so no point the game is dying (no, you did not say that yet some do all time).

And I agree that the new server project Frontier may add more high level content for those who feel the need for. And I also hope that it does not tear the levels of newcomers and old players apart too much. I am playing since 1.5 yrs ca. and have, with some effort, brought it to acceptable mediocrity, 2 skills in the nineties so far. I hope that the changes in Epic will be a success so that I may participate in PvP there (Chaos no choice for me, at least not unless I have the time to skill up a fighter toon where I do not mind affinity losses). But for a long time, I have much to learn, skill, explore before even thinking about having played through the game or getting bored.

So our situations are quite different. The fact that even a midlevel player has serious troubles to catch up with the veterans does exist, not only in PvP. I would much love exciting new content, and wish you all the best for, but in fact also may have troubles to participate, though I am playing far too much. I would see the need to get more fresh blood into the game, e.g. by advertising Wurm somewhat more. But everything helping to get old players back would of course be a good thing.

Edited by Ekcin

Wow...  There are WU servers with higher populations than some WO servers XD

TiL

19 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Wow...  There are WU servers with higher populations than some WO servers XD

Well, but you cannot just set sails to another WU server from there.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:14 PM, Niki said:

Non staff shouldn't be able to use CA help, from what i've gathered and my experiences in this game it's not exactly the most helpful place for information. Global chat could use more moderation also, they could take some of the over moderation from discord into the game for example.

Actual disputes, hard to please everyone I've noticed people tend to get way more upset then they probably should. Especially with noobs digging or building near a veteran player. Staff need to encourage cooperation between the two, make it worth while to have a newbie live near your deed for example. Perks or something. I would've tackled this issue years ago cause I do think it's a big issue.

Non staff being unable to reply in CA would remove one of the major ways of selecting staff from those who apply. Speaking from experience, it's perhaps one of the most important factors when considering applicants for Staff, being unable to demonstrate a helpful and considerate attitude when answering questions, having no way to judge general level of knowledge of a particular applicant would rob the Staff Team of a very valuable record of behaviour and general knowledge of the game.

You could leave it purely down to Staff recommendations for friends and family of course, that wouldn't ever be open to accusations of nepotism at all [/sarcasm]

Lets just leave the ability of friendly, helpful members of the playerbase intact shall we? and not make us feel like we're unappreciated and unloved .... If I was unable to comment helpfully in CA it'd remove a huge part of my enjoyment of the game. and I'm sure that of many other helpful players who I see daily answering questions and helping new and not so new players with situations they are in.

8 hours ago, Zenity said:

Non staff being unable to reply in CA would remove one of the major ways of selecting staff from those who apply. Speaking from experience, it's perhaps one of the most important factors when considering applicants for Staff, being unable to demonstrate a helpful and considerate attitude when answering questions, having no way to judge general level of knowledge of a particular applicant would rob the Staff Team of a very valuable record of behaviour and general knowledge of the game.

You could leave it purely down to Staff recommendations for friends and family of course, that wouldn't ever be open to accusations of nepotism at all [/sarcasm]

Lets just leave the ability of friendly, helpful members of the playerbase intact shall we? and not make us feel like we're unappreciated and unloved .... If I was unable to comment helpfully in CA it'd remove a huge part of my enjoyment of the game. and I'm sure that of many other helpful players who I see daily answering questions and helping new and not so new players with situations they are in.

Non-Staff being unable to reply in CA would make CA-Help a staff only channel. If nobody can write questions how should there be answers.

The problem with pure sandboxes is much the same problem Lego has - it's all about the building, but once you've built your thing, you either find something else to build or you go do something else.  Games like Minecraft, Stationeers, Factorio, etc all suffer from a similar problem, although in some cases they replace 'build' with 'optimise'.  Wurm somewhat replaces 'build' with 'grind', but grinding and building are basically the point; once you've done them, there isn't much left.

It would be lovely if there was a bit more adventure or similar content - this was done to a sporadic degree by events (Spellcast's scavenger hunts, for example).  It seems like new content in wurm has always been new features (cooking is a great example) which are cool and interesting, but sometimes it feels like there could be a bit of more storyline-type thing.  Obviously this shouldn't take away from the sandbox aspects, it shouldn't provide a lack of balance (so no 1k brick rewards!), but it should be something optional that gives people something to do when they're bored of grinding and have run out of stuff they want to build.  That's what I'd like to see from Frontier, whatever it turns out to be.

Not currently playing, but have eyed coming back for a little bit. Here's my two cents as I've been playing off and on since 2004.

Note: not suggesting the below necessarily happen as changes, just what I've enjoyed and seen over the years as a PVPer.

The WL vs BL element of the game was a huge motivator and fun ecosystem that was wiped out by PMKs. It actually felt like you were part of a kingdom fighting in a greater cause.

Resets actually made the game really fresh even though they were accidents. After playing with one group for a while, it was fun to switch sides and play with new people. Especially with the WL/BL choice.

Skill stagnation of the late game - when the game was younger there was much more specialization and less accounts that could do everything. That's just a byproduct of the game being around so long (without resets), but it was actually fun seeking out people who were higher skilled to help you with a weapon or digging an impressive wall.

Splitting the PVP population between Epic / Chaos - fragmenting an already smaller community in a niche game was never a great idea. Add to the fact that Epic did NOT deliver on what it was supposed to be, I quit playing there less than a month after it was released. You could also tie Wurm Unlimited into this point as fragmenting the community and damaging Wurm Online more than it helped.

Inconsistent moderation - numerous exploits have popped up over the years and people who used them had huge advantages over non-exploiting players once they were patched. Only a few times do I remember skills being rolled back. Adding to this, a couple of years ago I died to a digging bug while on a raid and lost my res stone and hours involved getting my gear back and to the front line again - the moderation team told me tough deal. I've had good responses from GM's on issues too to be fair - but this one really pissed me off.

Meditation is a pointless skill that only raises the barrier to new players getting involved and having fun with the game. It never added anything to the game except a power gap that left people waiting for months to compete with someone who already had SOTG. Tomes didn't add anything to the meta other than spell spam and an inherent advantage over anyone who wasn't spamming dispel on Continuum etc.

I also feel like the price of a subscription is outdated for what it is (8 euro a month for 1 character) - this made more sense in the past than it does now.

I like the PVP related changes (HOTA / towers) since I played last, but I'm not sure if Wurm will ever rebound in population without drastic changes.

1 hour ago, revengo said:

Meditation is a pointless skill that only raises the barrier to new players getting involved and having fun with the game

I been saying this for 6 years

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

This guy has them penned within an hour most times and retro thinks they leveled the playing field. Ahahahaha my sides.

I feel like a chunk of stuff added has been fairly wonky lately.

• Fishing came and went. I agree with removing AFK grinding in theory but found the execution very lacking, as it does nothing to make fishing a better, funner or realistically more viable option compared to normal hunting. In general it just felt very...lacking.
  • Cast a rite for a journal goal got added and it took a heavy amount of player complaints and semi-fearmongering to get it looked at and adjusted to be a bit fairer, while still totally unbalanced
  • 100 rift journal goal was added, and I'm not even going to repeat what makes that goal generally pretty terrible. What does strike me as odd, is that a certain post from a staff member made it sound like that was deliberately made to be super hard compared to other goals in the same tier, which makes me question the theory of balance.

No doubt there's a lot I'm missing beyond these. I still have a lot of faith in the staff and developers of the game, but I really wonder if future updates would benefit from a more community input style. 

But hey what do I know, I'm just a player.

Edited by Madnath