Gladiator

How to kill your own game tutorial

When OP advocates for purging the game of 9 out of 10 players then makes a thread about the death of the game, well......... he really walks into it.

Had it been a PvE player who in the recent past had expressed a desire to see everyone who didn't have at least 4 skills at 90 banned, he'd have been equally fired upon.

Something about throwing rocks in a glass building.

Posted (edited)

Hes mad he spent so much on a dead game. 

Imagine not playing Wurm 2015 on WU

Edited by Pallas

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

` Nope, it's the right way the game should be played. Think about it, PVE makes absolutely no sense. It has no purpose, no meaning. No risk, no strategy, no challange ->> no game. `
` Thank you for dropping by though, always nice to hear your melodramatic nonsensical self `
well now you're just projecting. you'll find a mirror serves greater purpose than a forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as for the content of this thread, im seeing alot of over-thinking and a fair amount of over-fearing.
I cannot speak for pvp, i'm a creative and have yet to try it.
as far as the newbie issue is concerned, ca-help i find is very helpful, we don't tell them how to play, just how the dots are joined. the game is far less daunting than it used to be.
`have fun` is always the last word.

That made me genuinely giggle, thank you.
if all u wanna do is PvP i'd understand the appeal of WU because it's free and it doesn't matter if the server goes belly up.
however, if you want to create beautiful things and you want them to remain, un-threatened by server funding or lack thereof, official servers have a permanence that can't be guaranteed anywhere else.
I'm not saying we're sane.. i'm saying that insanity isn't the reason we pay to play.
still, you do make WU seem very attractive, i hope what you've written sells more copies. a percentage of those buyers will migrate to WO because they'll yearn for something more permanent.
(i apologize to any WU servers that might outlive codeclub, such a thing is possible but imo, highly unlikely)

Thing is, by nature WU has a bunch of client side mods that flat out ruin pvp and make people turn away from it even moreso than on WO.

Some examples:

ESP

Livemap

Client renderer mods that get rid of trees, grasses etc...

Unchecked macroing

and more

They can NOT (at this moment) be actively enforced, or detected by server owners or GMs

Edited by nitram20

Posted (edited)

I see.. So the rule of the thumb is WU favours PvE over PvP. (by popular demand)
even so.. there must be a few PvP WU servers. maybe a couple of really good ones.
The presence of such a thing would serve to provide insight for WO developers as maybe their PvE counterparts have. (ultimately improving pvp in wo)

Edited by Steveleeb

Just now, Steveleeb said:

I see.. So the rule of the thumb is WU favours PvE over PvP. (by popular demand)
even so.. there must be a few PvP WU servers. maybe a couple of really good ones.

(sorry, probably not on topic, im replying is all)

there isn't because of the massive amount of cheating that goes on unfortunately or most pvpers would probably be gone by now

Posted (edited)

i see how that would be frustrating. the pvp potential of Wurm, only available in WO, which fuels a furious debate concerning what needs fixing.
thanks for the insight.

Edited by Steveleeb

If everyone can do it though, is it still cheating, or just a different playstyle?

Just now, Mordraug said:

If everyone can do it though, is it still cheating, or just a different playstyle?

its a different game

The irony of getting a one week ban for saying "Gary" was mostly that I was 1# on /ranks at the time.

When i caught that ban my rank reset to 1000 and Gary became the 1# on /ranks because of it.

Ill never hit battlemaster.

This latest drama with my alt Honor has me equally tilted. I felt like I had to work so hard to prove it was my account when it was an error on code clubs end.

TLDR: Banned for saying Gary. GMs stole my account. Send help I'm being oppressed.

6 minutes ago, Olloch said:

The irony of getting a one week ban for saying "Gary" was mostly that I was 1# on /ranks at the time.

When i caught that ban my rank reset to 1000 and Gary became the 1# on /ranks because of it.

Ill never hit battlemaster.

This latest drama with my alt Honor has me equally tilted. I felt like I had to work so hard to prove it was my account when it was an error on code clubs end.

TLDR: Banned for saying Gary. GMs stole my account. Send help I'm being oppressed.

most people that play these days seriously think that being banned for saying gary was just a meme because they weren't around back then

little do they know

That ###### aint a meme, can confirm that i got banned for that. printscreen etc.

7 hours ago, Gladiator said:

Step 4 :

Kill your PVP cluster ( Epic ) with a broken skiling system ( Skill grinded on freedom stays on freedom and goes to epic, but skill grinded on Epic only stays on epic so there is 0 point in grinding there, therefor the population is reduced significantly since 99% of the game is about grinding )

WHAT stops you from grinding on freedom and logging to epic to make your gear and help your buddies etc?
Ask for a delay between crossings when you login there and join an active kingdom that pvps; no harm in freely coming/going traders being there to make items to sell/trade(if that is OP or abused in some way.. further balance it..)

Once you have the skill it's just woa/botd tools + imbue anyways, once you're high enough skill doesn't matter unless you aim for 100.

7 hours ago, Gladiator said:

I know for a fact that this thread is going to be deleted

Yes please.  Do we need to have Chapter 4798061 in the continuing whiny saga of PvP vs PvE vs WO vs WU vs Angry Emos vs Staff, who aren't paid enough to deal with this?

44 minutes ago, Finnn said:

WHAT stops you from grinding on freedom and logging to epic to make your gear and help your buddies etc?

Gladys' ego doesn't fit through the epic portal.

1 minute ago, Jimmy_Norman said:

@platinumteefOff topic question but are you perhaps from SA?

I always wondered the same thing lol.

Wurmian: "Hey would you like to try out WO?"
Potential Wurmian: "How much is it?"
Wurmian: "It's free to try!"
Potential Wurmian: "How good is the free game?"
Wurmian: "Ehh...  It's playable, but you hit the skill cap pretty quickly?
Potential Wurmian: "Is it expensive to pay?"
Wurmian: "It's only 16 euros for 2 months"
Potential Wurmian: "Nah, way too much, thanks."

That's pretty much how my attempts to recruit my friends into wurm went.

5 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Why didn't tell your friend about all the great things you can do in wurm? 

2 hours ago, Mordraug said:

If everyone does it, it ruins the fun in the game

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Jimmy_Norman said:

Why didn't tell your friend about all the great things you can do in wurm? 

I think the problem he tries to illustrate is that the conversation gets shut down long before he gets to that part.

Edited by Flubb
Sentence had an aneurysm, send help

52 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

If you want them to try wurm tell them about wurm unlimited 😉

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

If you want them to try wurm tell them about wurm unlimited 😉

A few went with that option actually, especially when they did the mental math on cost.

Edit: Also @Flubb, pretty much.

Edited by Etherdrifter

I remember when it used to be 10 or so euros...

12 minutes ago, Flubb said:

I think the problem he tries to illustrate is that the conversation gets shut down long before he gets to that part.

Normally when one of my buds tell me about a new game, the first question i ask is: "What is it about?". Then comes the cost.

2 hours ago, platinumteef said:

most people that play these days seriously think that being banned for saying gary was just a meme because they weren't around back then

little do they know

What they don't know apparently is the fuller story that gets trivialized to an edgy joke.  Rotab's wurmfeed had monthly stats that he gave us each month, and I think it was jackburton or someone similar trying to be funny getting my name to be the most said word since people apparently already said it a lot.  This lead to a mess of people spamming which regardless of what's being said is against chat rules so people started getting warned, they didn't listen so they got muted.  They still didn't listen so they still got muted, I think most people with a brain can see where this still goes over the course of probably weeks/months I don't really remember.  But because it was a players name, and people were spamming alts named similar to me or pretending to be me, the whole thing was lumped as "harassment" when in reality the reason people got banned is because they chose to keep breaking chat rules (or game rules for the alts).  Much in the same vein as someone reposting a hidden post and then acting suprised when they get a warning/ban for it.  The result would be the same if people spammed "cheeseball" just as much, older epic players could look at blackdogs crusade against people saying dong in bl chat for a good example of this.

tl;dr:  people got banned for challenging moderation endlessly but it's funnier to say you get banned for saying gary