Sign in to follow this  
vinius

Wurm Classic

34 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

Developing 3 different versions of the game with the patheticly small team they have would be a bad idea. They already abandoned WU and dont care about it

The lack of API that was talked about 3 years ago and the 1-2 updates a year we get speak for themselves

it would be good if they released some older stuff however, i highly doubt they still have it

Well Wurm classic wouldn't need any updates as it wouldn't be classic anylonger. But of course I see your point, time is a problematic thing, while there are people willing to help or even planing to use old WU versions to go as classic as possible.

4 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Well Wurm classic wouldn't need any updates as it wouldn't be classic anylonger. But of course I see your point, time is a problematic thing, while there are people willing to help or even planing to use old WU versions to go as classic as possible.

Thing is, according to what Retrograde said, if I'm not allowed to distribute server files, then that means I'm not allowed to give anyone access to my git repo, which means I have to work on this all alone, which means it will take a very long time.

36 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Thing is, according to what Retrograde said, if I'm not allowed to distribute server files, then that means I'm not allowed to give anyone access to my git repo, which means I have to work on this all alone, which means it will take a very long time.

How far do you wanna "mod" back? Going back to pre 2010 will not make to much sense from WU 2015, there have been too many graphic changes.

If you really want to revive a real classic version you will need the support of code club anyways. But well pretty sure they still have all the changes secured in a version control, so it is not gone.

Edited by Sklo:D

3 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

How far do you wanna "mod" back? Going back to pre 2010 will not make to much sense from WU 2015, there have been too many graphic changes.

If you really want to revive a real classic version you will need the support of code club anyways. But well pretty sure they still have all the changes secured in a version control, so it is not gone.

They are not going to support this, as stated by Retrograde, and there is no way they are going to release old source, they don't even release the source for WU.  I'm not going for identical graphics and mechanics, but rather take what we learned about what we liked and what we didn't from back then, and remove newer mechanics that we don't like, while implementing old/new ones that we did.  I'd probably aim for somewhere around 2012 epic or something, since it's widely agreed that the game was in a pretty good state for pvp then, and make whatever other balance changes make sense. 

The classic in this case isn't necessarily making it the *same* as old Wurm, but making it resemble it, reborn in its image.  If we wanted to make the models/textures look like they were back then, we would have to remake similar ones ourselves, because Code Club disallow distributing their resource packs.  

Edited by Alexgopen

21 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

They are not going to support this, as stated by Retrograde, and there is no way they are going to release old source, they don't even release the source for WU.  I'm not going for identical graphics and mechanics, but rather take what we learned about what we liked and what we didn't from back then, and remove newer mechanics that we don't like, while implementing old/new ones that we did.  I'd probably aim for somewhere around 2012 epic or something, since it's widely agreed that the game was in a pretty good state for pvp then, and make whatever other balance changes make sense. 

The classic in this case isn't necessarily making it the *same* as old Wurm, but making it resemble it, reborn in its image.  If we wanted to make the models/textures look like they were back then, we would have to remake similar ones ourselves, because Code Club disallow distributing their resource packs.  

Well they don't support now but maybe at some point there is some DLC for WU or something for WO, who knows there are many years to come. Since retro-games are on the rise maybe Wurm will be a hyped game in a future classic version who knows :D

The Runescape version from pre 2010 is currently played by 90k online users. So you wouldn't believe how many miss old versions of a highly developed game or prefer classic versions over modern versions. Wurm can't keep up with modern games, but it can keep up with classic games in a classic version.

Edited by Sklo:D

On 6/13/2019 at 12:51 PM, Madnath said:

I just want old emotes back, they sounded so much better

The old emotes were so good.

Honestly, even if we could only get a WU emote voice and horse surfing patch, I would be happy. Though a classic server would be fantastic.

• Like 1

Do you have discord or anything?

i have actively played between early 2010 to mid 2014 so i know a lot of how it was and what i think should be be changed, removed and kept.

The current cooking system, and fishing system for one should be removed.

Edited by nitram20
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

The current cooking system, and fishing system for one should be removed.

done and done

• Like 2

7O5Y844.png

gonna go to sleep and leave this up

first one to find a bug that crashes the server wins

The instructions posted lead to players using the JRE we distributed with WU in 2015, this is unsafe. Please at least add to these instructions a recommendation to copy the current runtime folder from the WU's main directory.

10 minutes ago, Samool said:

The instructions posted lead to players using the JRE we distributed with WU in 2015, this is unsafe. Please at least add to these instructions a recommendation to copy the current runtime folder from the WU's main directory.

Well good point, still it is an edge case, the attack would need to be done via the WU server, since the version is only used for WU. So quite unlikely. Still best way is to use the modloader version compatible with the early version. Modloader can be configured to use the java version of the OS easily by just deleting the runtime folder

On 6/15/2019 at 4:45 AM, Inventor said:

Seen "Classic" and was ready to break out my "Jake" graphic packs. Guess you meant wurm Middle-Aged :(

well like 500+ years more advanced that today wurm...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Samool said:

I put some prettier updated instructions here for ya

https://wu2015.tumblr.com/

F8fYQLU.png

Pls pay no attention to how sloppily the page is coded lol, I just adapted something I made a long time ago when I was a noob because I didn't feel like spending a lot of time for what's essentially a readme.  

• Like 4

If Wurm Classic ever happens, let it be a server in Wurm Unlimited imo. I'd like to see how it was back then.

Edited by Nukacola

On 6/17/2019 at 1:51 AM, Alexgopen said:

nice beard

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 6:58 AM, Rhianna said:

almost got a uni brow going there Alex ? 

Get out.of.here with that! Alex is a sexy dude!

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Get out.of.here with that! Alex is a sexy dude!

lol you been drinking that gurn Koolaid too long m8

• Like 1

Thanks to @ausimusreleasing the old elevation map (click), I've been able to create a somewhat close reconstruction of the original, untouched elevation map:

Spoiler

CARDnE4.png

I just shared the map files with Alex so he can use them in the WU 2015 project. I think it fits the project idea really well.

Edited by Army
  • Like 3

Army did an amazing job cleaning up all the valrei events and giving the map a fresh coat of paint

0c8qubC.gif

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 2

That map is so much better than the horrendously flat piece of refuse we have in place atm. What happened? 

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

That map is so much better than the horrendously flat piece of refuse we have in place atm. What happened? 

People gave many excuses for wanting a map reset such as too many valrei events, map is too open, map is too small, map is too flat, map has no chokepoints, map has no rivers, etc

Rolf tried to listen, gave us a map that was 90% water and 10% humor, we all said no.  Rolf tried again, gave us this current map, people got excited for it.  Map came, turned out people didn't actually like it, some regret wishing for a new map.

I miss the old ele map, even at its worst when people griefed each other with inverted islands in hota steppe.  I wonder how epic/ele would have fared were there never a map reset at all

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

wonder how epic/ele would have fared were there never a map reset at all

Would you still have went full freedomer?

4 minutes ago, Olloch said:

Would you still have went full freedomer?

I went to freedom because of the merge update that told us playing on freedom is smarter than playing on epic and being 1 of 1-5 players online on elevation and there were no visible motion or care by devs to do anything about it.  I was gonna go back to play chaos again but decided it wasn't what I wanted I preferred the less toxic early-mid epic kind of fun and I've been waiting for updates to epic that will convince me to care enough to invest time/will into going back since freedom sucks and feels pretty pointless to play

• Like 1

Been running the cleaned up old ele map on my wu 2015 test server. Everyone is free to join if they want but expect bugs and server restarts as I continue to work on it.

• Like 1