Sign in to follow this  
vinius

Wurm Classic

Does anyone have news on a release date?

Is it going to be pre FF, peak 2013 or something else?

• Like 7

10 hours ago, vinius said:

Does anyone have news on a release date?

Is it going to be pre FF, peak 2013 or something else?

No release date yet, need staff @Retrogradeto clarify whether or not it's allowed to be released

If there was a wurm classic, I would personally like to join a petition to get Jenn Kellon Home back from Gold 2.

• Like 2

I just want old emotes back, they sounded so much better

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Madnath said:

I just want old emotes back, they sounded so much better

could mod them back in to wu if someone has the old sound jar, or get some nerd to voice act them all over again from memory

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 1

So after Retrograde responded to my question and said that I couldn't release any server or client files, I looked for a legal way for players to get the 2015 client.  Code Club keeps older WU releases up on Steam, so if you bought the game you can specify an older version to download.  As long as Code Club doesn't manually go and remove the older WU versions from Steam, they will remain available for anyone who purchased WU.  This functionality is typically used for compatibility reasons, for example if someone has issues running the latest version of the game, but it would also serve well as a 2015 base to mod back to a classic Wurm experience.  Also because it's distributed by Steam, requires that you purchased the game on Steam, and uses the same Steam authentication as any other version of WU, it's completely within the EULA to downgrade to this version.  

Instructions:

Spoiler

Steps to get a Dec 3, 2015 version of Wurm Unlimited through Steam

Requirements:
Steam account
Steam installed
Wurm Unlimited purchased on Steam

To open the Steam console, either

In your browser go to:
steam://nav/console

Or hit Windows+R and enter

steam://open/console

Enter the following Steam console command for required content:

Required content:
download_depot 366220 366221 5440329012352972324

Enter one of the following Steam console commands for your operating system:

Win64 dependencies:
download_depot 366220 366223 6168147419543718510

Win32 dependencies:
download_depot 366220 366222 7670121211399233189

Linux64 dependencies:
download_depot 366220 366224 2997274404291679074

Linux32 dependencies:
download_depot 366220 366225 7937490804811519398

After both downloads are complete, navigate to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_366220

Copy all of the contents of the second depot folder into depot_366221
Delete the second depot folder but keep depot_366221

Inside the depot_366221\WurmLauncher folder create a file named:
steam_appid.txt

Inside this file, write:

Save and close the file.

You now are able to play the Dec 3, 2015 version of Wurm Unlimited again!  If you see a version number in the bottom-left of the of the server browser after you launch the client, then you did one of the steps incorrectly, because this version of the client was from before it listed the version number in the UI.  Make sure your steam_appid.txt file is in the correct location for Steam to start from this location instead of your default installation. 

Edited by Alexgopen
Typo
  • Like 1

Im confused as to what this will accomplish? 2015 wurm is hardly a classic version. It should be gold 1 or 2 or at least 2010-2009 if anything.

Edited by nitram20

30 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

Im confused as to what this will accomplish? 2015 wurm is hardly a classic version. It should be gold 1 or 2 or at least 2010-2009 if anything.

Yeah I wouldn't see Wurm 2015 as much different from now, graphics are a bit better now and there are a few more features. The real classic game is Wurm pre 2010.

I already mentioned previously but Wurm in 2009 felt like a whole different game. So many great memories, I would love to support such a Wurm classic project programmatically and financially.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 3

And just think of all those lovely, lovely bugs that won't be fixed in the 2015 version...

2 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Yeah I wouldn't see Wurm 2015 as much different from now, graphics are a bit better now and there are a few more features. The real classic game is Wurm pre 2010.

I already mentioned previously but Wurm in 2009 felt like a whole different game. So many great memories, I would love to support such a Wurm classic project programmatically and financially.

Cooking overhaul, siege mechanics, rifts, underground building, a bunch of new tile types, surely a lot of other stuff has changed that wouldn't fit in as classic and would need to be manually undone.  WU came out in late 2015, and the Dec 3 update fixed a memory leak in the client, so its a good candidate to start from if modding your way back.

2 hours ago, Wonka said:

And just think of all those lovely, lovely bugs that won't be fixed in the 2015 version...

If going about it by working with a set of decompiled source that you're bringing to a runnable state, then the number of bugs caused by the decompiler will be much greater than existing game bugs.  I've already had to fix several thousand compile errors, and then moved on to runtime errors.  The thing about game bugs fixed since 2015, is you can just decompile the latest version of WU to see what the fix was.  The same can't be said for the decompiler induced errors, which can be much harder to identify and fix, especially if they only occur in certain situations during runtime.  For this reason I plan on scraping whatever mechanics don't belong in classic Wurm, so I don't need to worry about bugfixing those ones, and then going through the rest of the code and fixing its bugs.  Ive found that you can often notice patterns for the common mistakes that the decompiler makes, and using highly specific regexes to match and replace these errors throughout the whole project has been very effective so far.  After this, through a combination of manually going through the code, writing unit tests for everything, and play testing, I hope to get the server to a state where no more bugs are found and the game resembles an older version mechanic-wise.  The nice part about this is that since I can modify the source directly, I don't need to deal with using the modloader to hook in to the code, and can make large sweeping changes easily.  

4 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Cooking overhaul, siege mechanics, rifts, underground building, a bunch of new tile types, surely a lot of other stuff has changed that wouldn't fit in as classic and would need to be manually undone.  WU came out in late 2015, and the Dec 3 update fixed a memory leak in the client, so its a good candidate to start from if modding your way back.

If going about it by working with a set of decompiled source that you're bringing to a runnable state, then the number of bugs caused by the decompiler will be much greater than existing game bugs.  I've already had to fix several thousand compile errors, and then moved on to runtime errors.  The thing about game bugs fixed since 2015, is you can just decompile the latest version of WU to see what the fix was.  The same can't be said for the decompiler induced errors, which can be much harder to identify and fix, especially if they only occur in certain situations during runtime.  For this reason I plan on scraping whatever mechanics don't belong in classic Wurm, so I don't need to worry about bugfixing those ones, and then going through the rest of the code and fixing its bugs.  Ive found that you can often notice patterns for the common mistakes that the decompiler makes, and using highly specific regexes to match and replace these errors throughout the whole project has been very effective so far.  After this, through a combination of manually going through the code, writing unit tests for everything, and play testing, I hope to get the server to a state where no more bugs are found and the game resembles an older version mechanic-wise.  The nice part about this is that since I can modify the source directly, I don't need to deal with using the modloader to hook in to the code, and can make large sweeping changes easily.  

Decompiling the whole source and compiling it again is really a tough project

• Like 1

Just now, Sklo:D said:

Decompiling the whole source and compiling it again is really a tough project

I can already compile it again and the server is stable.  I'm currently working on finding any runtime errors or decompilation mistakes that cause ingame bugs, but the decompiled server doesn't crash much anymore.  I also did the client, which was a nightmare that required fixing the world renderer, ui rendering, ui component logic, font generation, level of detail, among other stuff.  I can run the decompiled server from eclipse, and then the decompiled client from eclipse, and play for hours on the decompiled server with the decompiled client, both running from source.  Unfortunately all my work on the client has been for nothing though, because Retro says I'm not allowed to distribute it.  On the bright side, players getting the 2015 client through Steam means the amount of work required for this project has been cut in half, and server side development is my preference.  I write backend services in Java every day at work anyways, so I'm much more comfortable in this area.

55 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

I can already compile it again and the server is stable.  I'm currently working on finding any runtime errors or decompilation mistakes that cause ingame bugs, but the decompiled server doesn't crash much anymore.  I also did the client, which was a nightmare that required fixing the world renderer, ui rendering, ui component logic, font generation, level of detail, among other stuff.  I can run the decompiled server from eclipse, and then the decompiled client from eclipse, and play for hours on the decompiled server with the decompiled client, both running from source.  Unfortunately all my work on the client has been for nothing though, because Retro says I'm not allowed to distribute it.  On the bright side, players getting the 2015 client through Steam means the amount of work required for this project has been cut in half, and server side development is my preference.  I write backend services in Java every day at work anyways, so I'm much more comfortable in this area.

Well you could distribute it as a mod in some sort of "diff" filetype with your changes from the actual source. In that case you wouldn't be publishing more than your modifications (=a mod) with changes for the client or server which are your intellectual property. Include instructions on how to recompile everything together and everyone can have their own modified version of client and server. It is nothing more than a different version of a modloader 

36 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Well you could distribute it as a mod in some sort of "diff" filetype with your changes from the actual source. In that case you wouldn't be publishing more than your modifications (=a mod) with changes for the client or server which are your intellectual property. Include instructions on how to recompile everything together and everyone can have their own modified version of client and server. It is nothing more than a different version of a modloader 

After I found out players can still get the original Dec 3 2015 version of the client on steam, I think that's a much better option.  This way they don't need to worry about the decompiler introducing bugs into their client.

As for your diff idea:

I think requiring users to not only follow the steps to get the old version of the game, but then also decompile their own client, apply the fixes/changes to the source from the diff, and then recompile it again is more effort than most people would be interested in, and leaves a lot of room for user error or technical difficulties.  Also, again, this could introduce decompilation bugs into their client from stuff that I missed when fixing the client.  Players using the 2015 client they get from steam, and making mods for it if necessary, is a much safer option in this case.  The downside is that I won't be able to change the client as much or as easily, but the upside is that it isn't ravaged by a decompiler.  The game mechanics are all serverside anyways, so if there's anything worth getting running from source, it would be the server.  I'll probably just try to avoid making changes that require ui/rendering/resource mods for the client, because I think it would be ideal if players could simply get the 2015 client from steam and jump right in.

Edited by Alexgopen

Seen "Classic" and was ready to break out my "Jake" graphic packs. Guess you meant wurm Middle-Aged :(

2193.jpg

Edited by Inventor
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, Inventor said:

Seen "Classic" and was ready to break out my "Jake" graphic packs. Guess you meant wurm Middle-Aged :(

2193.jpg

You could use those in WU if you wanted because the server doesn't verify the client's packs.  

attachment.php?attachmentid=1276&d=12138

attachment.php?attachmentid=1277&d=12138

That is wurm classic

• Like 6

With the huge success of 2007scape and the massive hype for WoW classic, I wonder if the devs will look at the declining premium numbers and make a smart decision?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vinius said:

With the huge success of 2007scape and the massive hype for WoW classic, I wonder if the devs will look at the declining premium numbers and make a smart decision?

Indeed could be a cool DLC for Wurm Unlimited. Or something cool for marketing. Retro games are selling better than anytime before.

I am pretty sure with the increasing interest in some classic throwback there would be people including myself who are willing to help getting such a version up.

Developing 3 different versions of the game with the patheticly small team they have would be a bad idea. They already abandoned WU and dont care about it

The lack of API that was talked about 3 years ago and the 1-2 updates a year we get speak for themselves

it would be good if they released some older stuff however, i highly doubt they still have it