Sign in to follow this  
Stickerjim

How do I remove a reinforced wall section in a mine?

I have to remove a reinforced wall section, but all the game says is that it's too hard to mine.  The mine and the wall are on my deed and I'm the mayor.  I have to get at some ore behind the current block I'm mining, but it says it's going to collapse if I continue.  So, I'm going to have to reinforce that one, I guess, and go through a previously reinforced section of wall.  How do I get rid of the reinforced section? 

You need 21 body strength.    Sorry that is reinforced floors 

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Support_Beam

Are you sure the wall is not off deed?

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Reinforced_wall

Reinforced Cave walls on deed can be mined, OFF deed cannot be mined to remove reinforcement.

Attempting to mine a reinforced tile outside of a deed gives the error message 'The rock is too hard to mine'.

The disintegrate spell can be used to remove reinforced cave walls; under certain conditions.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

If it might be on a border, you could try expanding your deed one tile, mining it out then resize again ...

Also, the text about the other tile "collapsing" probably is not meant literally.

See whether the specific message is one listed here:

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Mining_warnings

Yeah, maybe it's right on the border.  I'll expand the deed to well past the block and try again.  Thanks

\o/  Must have been right on the edge.  Expanded the deed 2 tiles in the relevant direction and I can mine it now.

Edited by Stickerjim
  • Like 2

I ninja edited again (SORRY! ? ) because of your concern the other tile was going to "collapse" and thus needed reinforcing.  I do not believe it meant the phrase literally. Usually it means something like the rock layer is too close to the dirt level above.  Examples: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Mining_warnings  

• The cave walls look very unstable. You cannot keep mining here. This message appears when mining close to the top of the rock layer. The ceiling of the newly mined tile would break the rock layer. Can sometimes be avoided by mining downwards or by lowering the mine floor and opening the new tile a bit lower.  
  • The cave walls look very unstable and dirt flows in. You would be buried alive. This message appears when the tile being mined will break out to the surface, but the surface is not exposed rock. To open the entrance, the rock on the surface must be fully exposed.

in these cases, despite the wording, reinforcing additional walls will not change anything. The walls are not actually "unstable". Mining downward instead of forward  is one possible remedy.  I usually just mine down 3-10 times on the two corners in the direction I want to go, to lower the floor edge facing the vein, and see whether that small amount reduces the height enough to let me remove the next tile and reach the vein. Especially if mining downward risks hitting deep water that interferes with mining (usually only a problem if you are already into water a bit).  

• Like 1

Sticker,

One very useful trick is to "Deed Shift", where you keep the same number of tiles in your deed, but simply resize the deed, by subtracting some tiles from one side and adding those to the other side.  I use this method all the time, for getting those reinforced tiles that are fairly close to my deeds.  Naturally, this only works if your deed isn't already up against another deed, but these days, it isn't so crowded to be a major concern.

This Deed Shifting method costs nothing to perform, if you always keep the same number of tiles.

• Like 2